Am I the only one that hated Skyward Sword?

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

Ive been a life long Zelda fan but it just baffles me how Skyward Sword got so many good reviews. It almost ruined the franchise for me and made me very cautious of Breath of the Wild. The Pacing and World Design in my opinion was just awful. It just felt lifeless and pointless like it was in alpha stage and Nintendo just threw it on the store shelves. I hated how the enemy AI was designed too. They would block almost every single different sword attack so mindlessly shaking the wii mote would be the most effective and fastest way to kill them. I didnt have much of a problem with the controls, it pretty much everything else in the game from what i played. Did anybody else feel the same way?

Jdelgado1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Jdelgado1980
Member since 2016 • 7 Posts

Yeah, did not finish it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I hated Skyward Sword too. For a while, it made me completely give up on the Zelda franchise. I wasn't even excited about Breath of the Wild when it was first announced because I thought that Nintendo had lost their ability to make great Zelda games and it would end up sucking like Skyward Sword.

Avatar image for raptorlaserbomb
RaptorLaserBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RaptorLaserBomb
Member since 2016 • 33 Posts

No. I didn't like that 3ds one either. Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are the best ones still.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

I thought Skyward Sword had some of the best dungeons and best fights in the series, so I have to disagree with the OP.

It's not perfect - the pacing was flawed, and the overworld was a bit lacking - but it still had some of the highest highs of any Zelda game.

As for the fighting...I don't remember flailing randomly. Enemies would block your attacks if you couldn't figure out their weaknesses.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#6 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

You're not the only one, for some reason. However, I thought it was excellent.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34581 Posts

Nope, I didn't like it much either. It was too hand-holding and... boring. Like a missed opportunity. Felt like I was being treated like an idiot while playing the game. I loved the visuals and controls, but that's about it. It's the only 3D Zelda I didn't care to finish.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7253 Posts

You're not the only one, but I personally loved it. For all the various complaints people have about the game, I thought the biggest problem was it felt too much like any other Zelda. And that's really not a big problem to have.

Also, best final boss in the series.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I did not like. What a lame, boring Zelda game. It's funny, I thought I would hate it because of the motion controls, I didn't even anticipate that it would actually be a lousy game.

Still, I won't let one bad title in a series keep me from playing the others or losing faith in a developer. It takes at least two (I'm looking at you BioWare/Dragon Age).

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

I thought that it was ok but it isn't one that I'd rank high on my favourite Zelda games list though.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

I never finished it but I playedi t quite a bit and it was just plain. NOt a bad game but not a good one either. A meh kinda experience.

The only Zelda game I initially thought was really bad was Windwaker. It was just slow to start with and looked way too childish to my mid teen eyes. It took me a long time and several tries to get through the opening and I eventually got to like it.

I always maintain that the main Zelda series peaked with the N64 and since then the games have been good-ish but nothing exceptional has come from them.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Yeah SS was my least favorite console Zelda game ever.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I consider it among the best in the series. It gets a lot of points from me for being the first game to implement motion controls at this level so well. There is no experience quite like it.

I'd say it's a great improvement for the series in regard to

-creative level design

-diversity

-combat

-boss battles

-cutting out unneeded fluff

I've never played a Zelda game from start to finish more times than Skyward Sword. I must be on my 10th right now.

My biggest complaint is the slow start.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I hated the motion controls. That in itself ruined the game for me.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Skyward Sword is one of my favorites. I felt it was a masterpiece. It had its faults, but not enough to hold it back from being among the best of all time.

Sinnicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 Sinnicks
Member since 2003 • 614 Posts

Starting it this weekend as it slipped through the cracks on games I needed to play when it first came out. It seems like there are a lot of mixed feeling with this title, i'm just hoping the motion controls do not ruin the experience for me.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

i dont know what it is but every time i try to sit down and play it i get as far as the second dungeon then something else grabs my attention.

i have the urge to play it now but my wiiu is off for repairs (i have the worst luck with nintendo hardware). what i played of it i liked. i really liked the control scheme. there wasnt really much of an overworld i saw though. it seemed like every area was a dungeon which was a bit of a bummer.

Mortal74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mortal74
Member since 2017 • 52 Posts

I did not like it. I only got a couple hours in and I had enough. I remember at the time it was being praised (as is usual for Zelda) as one of the greatest games out there with 9s or higher scores. I thought maybe I missed something because it seemed I was the only one at the time who didn't like it.

I have to say I did not like the art direction either. It was weird because I loved it when I first saw it in previews but when I got my hands on it I did not like the visual art style. Better than Windwaker though, hate that art style and always will.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#19 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

The motion controls ruined Skyward sword for me, the Wii and the game are in the basement collecting dust, even though I have it on PC emulated I still can't be bothered to play it unless I can fix the motion controls to a gamepad setup in a comfortable way. I don't mind Nintendo trying new things but I really think they should have added Cube controller support as a backup.