Also, great GBA Jrpgs.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Another48hours
Member since 2012 • 1970 Posts

I am going to be retrying to get into Gba Jrpgs with the exception of some ports and the Battle Network series which I liked a few of the games, I need some good GBA Jrpgs,

Oh and please no Swordcraftstory or Demikids, god those games were terrible.

Once I get strategy and more Jrpgs I will have liked at least one of every genre on the GBA! Except visual Novels.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#2 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
What's your beef with Demikids? :x Anyway, Lunar Legends isn't TOO bad compared to the PS1 verion, but if you get to choose, definetly go for the PS1. Golden Sun Golden Sun The Lost Age Yggdra Union Tales of Phantasia Medabots Metabee Version Riviera The Promised Land Super Robot Taisen Original Generation And I know lots hate these, but I really found DBZ Legacy of Goku II (not the first) and Buu's Fury to be fun, I spent several hours to get my characters maxed out and find all secrets and what-not, only reccomended if you're a DBZ fan, if not, I doubt it would have much to offer you.
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Another48hours
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]What's your beef with Demikids? :x Anyway, Lunar Legends isn't TOO bad compared to the PS1 verion, but if you get to choose, definetly go for the PS1. Golden Sun Golden Sun The Lost Age Yggdra Union Tales of Phantasia Medabots Metabee Version Riviera The Promised Land Super Robot Taisen Original Generation And I know lots hate these, but I really found DBZ Legacy of Goku II (not the first) and Buu's Fury to be fun, I spent several hours to get my characters maxed out and find all secrets and what-not, only reccomended if you're a DBZ fan, if not, I doubt it would have much to offer you.

Oh god Golden Sun, why do you torture me so? :) Tell me a little bit about U\Yggdra Union and Lunar Legends. I will attempt to retry Riviera. Tales of Phantasia and Demikids can be ties to a firecracker with Swordcraft being the flame to make all 3 explode. Demikids is awful, but I will re attempt anyway. No, I am not a DBZ fan, i think all the Tenkaichis or what not are terrible and shoot be strapped to a fire cracker, but Legacy looks interesting though. But I said the same about Fire Emblem so I must be careful.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dudersaper
I don't see what's wrong with Golden Sun, please don't use the "it's not original" argument I see some people use :P it's a quite traditional JRPG, but it does what it is right, and an interesting plot to go with it. Lunar Legends is a remake of Lunar The Silver Star Story from the PS1, but very dumbbed down, and with no cutscenes or voice acting, and some plot changes. Yggdra Union is a very strategic game, it uses a card system in battle, kinda unconventional for the most part, has a bit of a steep learning curve, but very worth getting into.
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Another48hours
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]I don't see what's wrong with Golden Sun, please don't use the "it's not original" argument I see some people use :P it's a quite traditional JRPG, but it does what it is right, and an interesting plot to go with it. Lunar Legends is a remake of Lunar The Silver Star Story from the PS1, but very dumbbed down, and with no cutscenes or voice acting, and some plot changes. Yggdra Union is a very strategic game, it uses a card system in battle, kinda unconventional for the most part, has a bit of a steep learning curve, but very worth getting into.

>Oh then if it's not different then I already played Silver Star. No. >I may try this Yggdra. > Golden Suns Plot was so terrible to me, it was also very generic, and I am not even talking about unoriginal, there was nothing their I haven't already played, they just renamed magic and called it something else. The first hour of the game was so damn bad, but I continued, but I found myself struggling to finish it i did not enjoy it with its massive amounts of cheese. It wasn't like Demikids awful, it was around average. It just lacked anything to get me interested, and it became way too repetitive. >The Second game does not exist. >Hmm, how does the card battle system work in Yggdra?
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dudersaper
Hard to explain, the cards have various effects, check some vids out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM3r1__HJxQ It may seem a bit overwhelming at first, at least to me it was, but then you get used to it.
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Another48hours
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Hard to explain, the cards have various effects, check some vids out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM3r1__HJxQ It may seem a bit overwhelming at first, at least to me it was, but then you get used to it.

I will play and find out! So I guess that's it from you then?
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dudersaper
Yeah, I pretty much named everything I've played from GBA JRPG's that I remember right now. I know some more, but I wouldn't be able to talk from personal experience :P
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

My RPG's I own on GBA that are awesome not in any particular order:

1) Golden Sun 1 & 2

2) Breath of Fire 1 & 2

3)Final Fantasy 5, 6, tactics

4) Fire Emblem (its a tactic RPG, and a dam good one too)

5)Poke'mon Ruby (I know childish, but hey, I found it on the street walking home from high school many years ago. It's actually quite fun)

6) Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past

7) Zelda: The Minish Cap

8) Legacy of Goku 2 & 3 (I guess could be considered RPG's if Zelda could be, and skip #1, it's terrible)

There are 13 very good RPG's.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#10 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

Anyway, Lunar Legends isn't TOO bad compared to the PS1 verion, but if you get to choose, definetly go for the PS1.Dudersaper

I have never played the PS1 version but it is pretty bad compared to the original SCD version.The story is not really different enough to be interesting and it is just kind of boring and easy otherwise. A lot of what made the original special is left out too, specifically the music and the voice acting on the cut scenes.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dudersaper
There's voice acting in the PS1 version. Or do you mean they changed the voice actors or something? But yeah I have heard it's quite inferior to the SCD version, I don't doubt it.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Fire emblem. Definitely a must have game for your GBA

craigofadown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 craigofadown
Member since 2007 • 530 Posts

Breath of Fire!

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Breath of Fire I and II Fire Emblem Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Another48hours

1) Golden Sun 1 & 2

2) Breath of Fire 1 & 2

5)Poke'mon Ruby (I know childish, but hey, I found it on the street walking home from high school many years ago. It's actually quite fun)

8) Legacy of Goku 2 & 3 (I guess could be considered RPG's if Zelda could be, and skip #1, it's terrible)

ristactionjakso
Zelda is not an Rpg. Fire Emblem is an rpg?
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 logicalfrank

There's voice acting in the PS1 version. Or do you mean they changed the voice actors or something? But yeah I have heard it's quite inferior to the SCD version, I don't doubt it.Dudersaper

Oh sorry, to clarify, I have never played the PS1 version. I will some day but haven't yet (and the PSP version too). I have played the SCD and GBA versions and the GBA version is just vastly inferior in my opinion, partly because of the lack of the original music and voice acting in cut scenes and partly because it's just kind of bad. Maybe I just got lost too much but by the end of the game, I was leveled up to a point where I could just let the AI take over for me during battles and I would sit there and play another game on a different system to cut the tedium while the battles dragged on.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dudersaper
[QUOTE="Another48hours"] Fire Emblem is an rpg?

Yes.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dudersaper

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]There's voice acting in the PS1 version. Or do you mean they changed the voice actors or something? But yeah I have heard it's quite inferior to the SCD version, I don't doubt it.logicalfrank

Oh sorry, to clarify, I have never played the PS1 version. I will some day but haven't yet (and the PSP version too). I have played the SCD and GBA versions and the GBA version is just vastly inferior in my opinion, partly because of the lack of the original music and voice acting in cut scenes and partly because it's just kind of bad. Maybe I just got lost too much but by the end of the game, I was leveled up to a point where I could just let the AI take over for me during battles and I would sit there and play another game on a different system to cut the tedium while the battles dragged on.

I never got too far in Lunar Legend, my copy would always crash for some reason, threw it away, I have the PS1 version, and still haven't finish that one either :P
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Another48hours
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="Another48hours"] Fire Emblem is an rpg?

Yes.

Pretty sure it's strategy but ok.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dudersaper
[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="Another48hours"] Fire Emblem is an rpg?

Yes.

It's a Tactical RPG :P
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Another48hours
[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Yes.Dudersaper

There is nothing Rpg about it, or at least nothing JRPG about it.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dudersaper
[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="Another48hours"] Pretty sure it's strategy but ok.

Of course there is, you gain experience, buy weapons and armour for your characters at shops, turn-based grid like battle system just like most Tactical RPG's, those are RPG elements. And it's Japanese, therefore, a JRPG :P
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Another48hours
[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]It's a Tactical RPG :PDudersaper

Of course there is, you gain experience, buy weapons and armour for your characters at shops, turn-based grid like battle system just like most Tactical RPG's, those are RPG elements. And it's Japanese, therefore, a JRPG :P

Demon Souls if from Japan and it's not a Jrpg :) Anyway, uh, no, in lots of strategy games your team gains experience, that doesn't mean instant Jrpg, buying upgrades for characters is done in a lot of genre's, it's also a strategy battle system and you move in a strategy type layout. It doesn't even have what Jrpgs gamers sonsiders "Role" elements. It doesn't have Rpg or Jrpgs role-playing in the game. But hey if you want to call it a tactical rpg, then hey it may be, but that still doesn't change the fact that the game needs to be strapped to a firecracker:) well, I want to strap it to a fire cracker:) Now the second game....
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Another48hours
Heck, I might go back and retry them I have them, maybe I will change my mind. Never know. Although the only reason why those games existed is because Advance Wars did well.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Heck, I might go back and retry them I have them, maybe I will change my mind. Never know. Although the only reason why those games existed is because Advance Wars did well.Another48hours
The heck are you talking about? Fire Emblem has been around since 1990; they just didn't release them outside of Japan until the 7th game, which in turn got a localization (and an extended tutorial for beginners) because of Marth and Roy's fame from Super Smash Bros. Melee. I suggest you start being more respectful of people around here. This is Legacy Platforms, not System Wars.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dudersaper
[QUOTE="Another48hours"] Demon Souls if from Japan and it's not a Jrpg :) Anyway, uh, no, in lots of strategy games your team gains experience, that doesn't mean instant Jrpg, buying upgrades for characters is done in a lot of genre's, it's also a strategy battle system and you move in a strategy type layout. It doesn't even have what Jrpgs gamers sonsiders "Role" elements. It doesn't have Rpg or Jrpgs role-playing in the game. But hey if you want to call it a tactical rpg, then hey it may be, but that still doesn't change the fact that the game needs to be strapped to a firecracker:) well, I want to strap it to a fire cracker:) Now the second game....

Demon Souls is a JRPG. The only way a game can be a JRPG is by being a Japanese game, and it is, therefore it's a JRPG...it's just inspired by Western RPG's, but that does not make it a WRPG. And yes, lots of other games also have those elements, and they're called Tactical RPG's :P may not be Japanese RPG's, but for the most part they are RPG's. And the movement in the battle system is similar to most TRPG's, like FFTactics and Disgea, grid based environments :P It has tons of RPG elements in it, I can't see how someone can say other-wise.
Heck, I might go back and retry them I have them, maybe I will change my mind. Never know. Although the only reason why those games existed is because Advance Wars did well.Another48hours
It can't be the "only" reason or else it wouldn't have done as well as it did. Fire Emblem came out before Advanced Wars and still did pretty well in Japan before AW was even released.
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Another48hours
[QUOTE="Another48hours"]Heck, I might go back and retry them I have them, maybe I will change my mind. Never know. Although the only reason why those games existed is because Advance Wars did well.MAILER_DAEMON
The heck are you talking about? Fire Emblem has been around since 1990; they just didn't release them outside of Japan until the 7th game, which in turn got a localization (and an extended tutorial for beginners) because of Marth and Roy's fame from Super Smash Bros. Melee. I suggest you start being more respectful of people around here. This is Legacy Platforms, not System Wars.

For one, I am not fond of system wars and I am not being disrespectful. You seem to be jumping out at me for whatever reason. Fire Emblem was not released in the U.S. until the GBA, why would I be talking about the japanese Fire Emblem? Like I said the only reasons why Fire Emblem existed is Advance Wars doing well, and Melee, which i forgot to add. Have you seen an Advance War game since Fire Emblem came out and starting doing at least "ok?" I have no idea why you're bringing up system wars.
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Another48hours
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="Another48hours"] Demon Souls if from Japan and it's not a Jrpg :) Anyway, uh, no, in lots of strategy games your team gains experience, that doesn't mean instant Jrpg, buying upgrades for characters is done in a lot of genre's, it's also a strategy battle system and you move in a strategy type layout. It doesn't even have what Jrpgs gamers sonsiders "Role" elements. It doesn't have Rpg or Jrpgs role-playing in the game. But hey if you want to call it a tactical rpg, then hey it may be, but that still doesn't change the fact that the game needs to be strapped to a firecracker:) well, I want to strap it to a fire cracker:) Now the second game....

Demon Souls is a JRPG. The only way a game can be a JRPG is by being a Japanese game, and it is, therefore it's a JRPG...it's just inspired by Western RPG's, but that does not make it a WRPG. And yes, lots of other games also have those elements, and they're called Tactical RPG's :P may not be Japanese RPG's, but for the most part they are RPG's. And the movement in the battle system is similar to most TRPG's, like FFTactics and Disgea, grid based environments :P It has tons of RPG elements in it, I can't see how someone can say other-wise.
It can't be the "only" reason or else it wouldn't have done as well as it did. Fire Emblem came out before Advanced Wars and still did pretty well in Japan before AW was even released.

The reason why Jrpgs and Wrpgs were separated in the first place is because the styles started to be consistent. So whether you agree or not Demon souls and company are Wrpgs, but that's a different conversation. So Nightmare of Druaga is a tactical rpg, used of what you're saying? In America, with Melee (which random mod above stated), and Advance Wars doing well, Fire Emblem was released in the U.S. with more frequency. Advance Wars did do well, and you get another Fire Emblem game after the first GBA "Fire Emblem" and a bunch of other Fire Emblem games, with not one other Advance Wars in site. I have no idea why either of you would think I would be talking about japan.
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Another48hours
[QUOTE="Another48hours"]Heck, I might go back and retry them I have them, maybe I will change my mind. Never know. Although the only reason why those games existed is because Advance Wars did well.MAILER_DAEMON

Also what is your problem? When was i disrespectful?
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dudersaper
[QUOTE="Another48hours"] Fire Emblem was not released in the U.S. until the GBA, why would I be talking about the japanese Fire Emblem? Like I said the only reasons why Fire Emblem existed is Advance Wars doing well, and Melee, which i forgot to add. Have you seen an Advance War game since Fire Emblem came out and starting doing at least "ok?"

Well you could be talking about the Japanese Fire Emblem because the thread is about Japanese RPG's, so it makes sense. And it also makes sense because as I said, it was very well received in Japan, and had various installments prior to the existence of SSBM and AW, and got localized due to SSBM as Mailer said. It's success had nothing to do with Advanced War. And I do agree, I don't think you were being disrespectful to be honest.
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Another48hours
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="Another48hours"] Fire Emblem was not released in the U.S. until the GBA, why would I be talking about the japanese Fire Emblem? Like I said the only reasons why Fire Emblem existed is Advance Wars doing well, and Melee, which i forgot to add. Have you seen an Advance War game since Fire Emblem came out and starting doing at least "ok?"

Well you could be talking about the Japanese Fire Emblem because the thread is about Japanese RPG's, so it makes sense. And it also makes sense because as I said, it was very well received in Japan, and had various installments prior to the existence of SSBM and AW, and got localized due to SSBM as Mailer said. It's success had nothing to do with Advanced War. And I do agree, I don't think you were being disrespectful to be honest.

Why would I talk about Japanese language Rpg i can't play because I can't speak Japanese? That's what I was trying to tell you. Also, I am pretty sure I read that Advance Wars was made to see if continued localization would be a good idea since they are similar types of games. I don't know how relevant the article was, but it does make sense when you think about it. Although I did imply the first Fire Emblem local was made because of it, what I mean was it showed it would be a good idea to make more releases since they are similar games. Either way, while I am not a fan of either, i think Fire Emblem is better, and the other thing that also seems to make sense with that article, is the fact that there actually hasn't been another Advance War game. So whether there's missing information or not I think it's safe to say there is no need for Advance wars with Fire Emblem out, and it seems Nintendo thought the same.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Dudersaper

The reason why Jrpgs and Wrpgs were separated in the first place is because the styles started to be consistent. So whether you agree or not Demon souls and company are Wrpgs, but that's a different conversation.

So Nightmare of Druaga is a tactical rpg, used of what you're saying?

In America, with Melee (which random mod above stated), and Advance Wars doing well, Fire Emblem was released in the U.S. with more frequency. Advance Wars did do well, and you get another Fire Emblem game after the first GBA "Fire Emblem" and a bunch of other Fire Emblem games, with not one other Advance Wars in site. I have no idea why either of you would think I would be talking about japan.Another48hours

As I said, JRPG means Japanese RPG and WRPG is a Western RPG, having a certain gameplay styIe doesn't change what region it came from. Demon Souls is a JRPG, inspired by WRPG gameplay, there's pretty much no going around that.

And you know that is not what I meant by the grid based movement, you're going around what I said. I was talking about the strategically placing your character in the grid based environments, both FFTactics and Fire Emblem have it in almost identical ways, and they are both TRPG's.

And I still don't get your line of thought, so because more Fire Emblems were released than Advance War games, it means Fire Emblems success was due to AW?

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Another48hours

[QUOTE="Another48hours"]The reason why Jrpgs and Wrpgs were separated in the first place is because the styles started to be consistent. So whether you agree or not Demon souls and company are Wrpgs, but that's a different conversation.

So Nightmare of Druaga is a tactical rpg, used of what you're saying?

In America, with Melee (which random mod above stated), and Advance Wars doing well, Fire Emblem was released in the U.S. with more frequency. Advance Wars did do well, and you get another Fire Emblem game after the first GBA "Fire Emblem" and a bunch of other Fire Emblem games, with not one other Advance Wars in site. I have no idea why either of you would think I would be talking about japan.Dudersaper

As I said, JRPG means Japanese RPG and WRPG is a Western RPG, having a certain gameplay styIe doesn't change what region it came from. Demon Souls is a JRPG, inspired by WRPG gameplay, there's pretty much no going around that.

And you know that is not what I meant by the grid based movement, you're going around what I said. I was talking about the strategically placing your character in the grid based environments, both FFTactics and Fire Emblem have it in almost identical ways, and they are both TRPG's.

And I still don't get your line of thought, so because more Fire Emblems were released than Advance War games, it means Fire Emblems success was due to AW?

The reason why the terms exist originally is because f their styles. This isn't like ANIME, where at first it didn't matter and now all of a sudden you must have 3 year old kids with Spiky hair (although the Japanese aren't helping with this) they LITERALLY only existed for the sole purpose of styles. You may not like it, but that's why the terms exist, as dumb as it may seem to use it in that way. I was going around you, I even asked if I misunderstood, and I did, but to be honest the more I play those type of games I am pretty sure Tactical Rpg is code for Japanese style Strategy game. It's almost as useless as when the Japanese call Action Rpgs Survival Rpgs. But I see what you're saying, although.... The line of thought was that Advance Wars was a test to see if Fire Emblem type games would do well, and thus, when it did well they released more Fire Emblem games, and canceled Advance Wars because they were sure that they knew that its style of gaming would continue to work. Which seems to be the best explanation as to why there are no more advance wars. There's no more need, Nintendo has Fire Emblem.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dudersaper
I see, well I guess I get your point of view, although there is Advance Wars 2. But yeah, definetly not as much as Fire Emblems games. I still find it hard to say that FE success is due to Advance Wars, in the west, it could be seen that way, but must have already had plans to localize FE before AW for putting characters in Melee. And I still can't agree with the JRPG/WRPG issue, I do get what you're saying, as most JRPG tend to have X styIe and WRPG tend to have Y styIe, though I still find it unnaccurate to call Demon Souls a WRPG, just like it's wrong calling Kings Field a WRPG, they are JRPG's inspired by Western Gameplay. And you're definition of anime is very off target :P but that's another story, I know you were just giving an example. It's just as in Western companies started making Visual Novels, they wouldn't be considered Japanese Visual Novels just because the "gameplay" is the same, they would be Western Visual Novels inspired by JVN "gameplay". The kind of gameplay doesn't change the region :P But I do know what you mean, I just personally find it wrong. But anyway, it seems we went way off the topics objective, let's just leave it as it is :P
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Another48hours
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]I see, well I guess I get your point of view, although there is Advance Wars 2. But yeah, definetly not as much as Fire Emblems games. I still find it hard to say that FE success is due to Advance Wars, in the west, it could be seen that way, but must have already had plans to localize FE before AW for putting characters in Melee. And I still can't agree with the JRPG/WRPG issue, I do get what you're saying, as most JRPG tend to have X styIe and WRPG tend to have Y styIe, though I still find it unnaccurate to call Demon Souls a WRPG, just like it's wrong calling Kings Field a WRPG, they are JRPG's inspired by Western Gameplay. And you're definition of anime is very off target :P but that's another story, I know you were just giving an example. It's just as in Western companies started making Visual Novels, they wouldn't be considered Japanese Visual Novels just because the "gameplay" is the same, they would be Western Visual Novels inspired by JVN "gameplay". The kind of gameplay doesn't change the region :P But I do know what you mean, I just personally find it wrong. But anyway, it seems we went way off the topics objective, let's just leave it as it is :P

Off target? Lupin The Third could easily be confused with an American cartoon, but that's a different story. Actually Western Visual Novels are text Adventures and Japanese text Adventures are Visual Novels, the difference, in some Text adventures there are interactivity. But yes, you were in the middle of talking about some good GBA rpgs, and maybe SNES as well since there are ports in their.
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Another48hours
*There
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

The reason why Jrpgs and Wrpgs were separated in the first place is because the styles started to be consistent. So whether you agree or not Demon souls and company are Wrpgs, but that's a different conversation. So Nightmare of Druaga is a tactical rpg, used of what you're saying? In America, with Melee (which random mod above stated), and Advance Wars doing well, Fire Emblem was released in the U.S. with more frequency. Advance Wars did do well, and you get another Fire Emblem game after the first GBA "Fire Emblem" and a bunch of other Fire Emblem games, with not one other Advance Wars in site. I have no idea why either of you would think I would be talking about japan.Another48hours
Demon's Souls is actually more of an Action RPG, not a WRPG or a JRPG; similarly, Fire Emblem is a tactical RPG in the same genre as games like Shining Force and Final Fantasy Tactics, while Advance Wars is of a turn-based strategy or tactical game without the RPG elements such as individual experience and levels.

The lack of respect I referenced is being so flippant about what Dudersaper was trying to educate you about. When you have limited experience with something, it's best to listen and acknowledge, even if you need clarification on some points (and if you disagree, say so, but don't just dismiss him with "Pretty sure it's strategy but ok"). In System Wars it's perfectly fine to be dismissive or outright attacking, hence the name of the board, but here, try to be a little bit more respectful so we don't have more invading trolls like Jakandsig_ that turn this place into a flame-filled mess. Like the board header says, respect others and they will respect you. It's ok to hate a game or even say you want to blow it up, but don't keep insisting on something that it's not. You asked the question to start the thread, so maybe there's a reason it was answered the way it was. :P

Also, when you talked about the games existing, they came into existence back in Japan, so when you're talking about its beginning, anyone would think you're talking about the initial game and the creation of the series. If you meant the first time America got it, you could have said anything like "wouldn't have come over here without..." or "wouldn't have been translated without..." and it would have been perfectly clear. Also, Advance Wars is part of the long-running Famicom/Nintendo Wars series that started back on the Famicom in Japan, just to draw a point of comparison. In any case, if you want to discuss this more you're welcome to PM me, but my main points are these: be respectful of others, and be considerate of what you mean when you type out your post. A second read goes a long way; being dismissive can build a bad reputation.

One more thing: when you have something to add or change from a previous post, edit the post rather than posting a second reply or a post with a correction after it. This isn't GameFAQs, anyone can edit a post regardless of level or account type. ;)

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Another48hours

[QUOTE="Another48hours"] The reason why Jrpgs and Wrpgs were separated in the first place is because the styles started to be consistent. So whether you agree or not Demon souls and company are Wrpgs, but that's a different conversation. So Nightmare of Druaga is a tactical rpg, used of what you're saying? In America, with Melee (which random mod above stated), and Advance Wars doing well, Fire Emblem was released in the U.S. with more frequency. Advance Wars did do well, and you get another Fire Emblem game after the first GBA "Fire Emblem" and a bunch of other Fire Emblem games, with not one other Advance Wars in site. I have no idea why either of you would think I would be talking about japan.MAILER_DAEMON

Demon's Souls is actually more of an Action RPG, not a WRPG or a JRPG; similarly, Fire Emblem is a tactical RPG in the same genre as games like Shining Force and Final Fantasy Tactics, while Advance Wars is of a turn-based strategy or tactical game without the RPG elements such as individual experience and levels.

The lack of respect I referenced is being so flippant about what Dudersaper was trying to educate you about. When you have limited experience with something, it's best to listen and acknowledge, even if you need clarification on some points (and if you disagree, say so, but don't just dismiss him with "Pretty sure it's strategy but ok"). In System Wars it's perfectly fine to be dismissive or outright attacking, hence the name of the board, but here, try to be a little bit more respectful so we don't have more invading trolls like Jakandsig_ that turn this place into a flame-filled mess. Like the board header says, respect others and they will respect you. It's ok to hate a game or even say you want to blow it up, but don't keep insisting on something that it's not. You asked the question to start the thread, so maybe there's a reason it was answered the way it was. :P

Also, when you talked about the games existing, they came into existence back in Japan, so when you're talking about its beginning, anyone would think you're talking about the initial game and the creation of the series. If you meant the first time America got it, you could have said anything like "wouldn't have come over here without..." or "wouldn't have been translated without..." and it would have been perfectly clear. Also, Advance Wars is part of the long-running Famicom/Nintendo Wars series that started back on the Famicom in Japan, just to draw a point of comparison. In any case, if you want to discuss this more you're welcome to PM me, but my main points are these: be respectful of others, and be considerate of what you mean when you type out your post. A second read goes a long way; being dismissive can build a bad reputation.

One more thing: when you have something to add or change from a previous post, edit the post rather than posting a second reply or a post with a correction after it. This isn't GameFAQs, anyone can edit a post regardless of level or account type. ;)

But Demons Souls is classified as a Wrpg on almost every place I have been to, so I don't think that's being dismissive, but I see what you're saying there. But yeah, I mean to say, it wouldn't have been making as many games without advance wars, or at least that's what I rad and what it seems to be with its mysterious disappearance Now, Dude was in the middle of listing Jrpgs or at least I think he was :).
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dudersaper
I wasn't, this thing started when you asked if Fire Emblem was an RPG, and it just went on from there :P
Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Another48hours
I wasn't, this thing started when you asked if Fire Emblem was an RPG, and it just went on from there :PDudersaper
Yes, and we had some animes and Wrpgs in the conversation, but now you will list Snes and Gba rpgs immediately.:)
limonman32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 limonman32
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts

Try Mother 3! It's my favorite GBA game of all time.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#42 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

1) Golden Sun 1 & 2

2) Breath of Fire 1 & 2

Another48hours

Zelda is not an Rpg. Fire Emblem is an rpg?

Zelda could be considered a RPG. And Fire Emblem is a tactic RPG. But anyways, all those games are great on GBA.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 logicalfrank

I don't see what's wrong with Golden Sun, please don't use the "it's not original" argument I see some people use :P it's a quite traditional JRPG, but it does what it is right, and an interesting plot to go with it. Dudersaper

I just started this this weekend. I think I am maybe a quarter or a fifth of the way through and thus far I like it a lot, probably the best JRPG I've played in years actually. I agree it is very squarely a standard JRPG but the graphics are great, the story is pretty good and the music is amazing. I really like the puzzle solving elements especially and have been playing it pretty much every chance I get.

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Another48hours

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]I don't see what's wrong with Golden Sun, please don't use the "it's not original" argument I see some people use :P it's a quite traditional JRPG, but it does what it is right, and an interesting plot to go with it. logicalfrank

I just started this this weekend. I think I am maybe a quarter or a fifth of the way through and thus far I like it a lot, probably the best JRPG I've played in years actually. I agree it is very squarely a standard JRPG but the graphics are great, the story is pretty good and the music is amazing. I really like the puzzle solving elements especially and have been playing it pretty much every chance I get.

I tried it again and I think the exact opposite you do on everything except graphics. Maybe the 2nd game...
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#45 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

POOOOOOOOOOKEMON!