Aliens Colonial Marines: In Space No One Can See Your Mediocrity

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/aliens-colonial-marines/critic-reviews

Currently holding about a 50 average on Metacritic, the recent revelation that Gearbox outsourced the single player component to another developer didn't instill much confidence.   

Here's a Gamespot article detailing the developmental hell this game went through:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/aliens-colonial-marines-development-was-a-total-train-wreck-says-ex-dev-6403761

Six years of development time and we get a subpar product that, by most accounts, isn't even worth a bargain bin purchase.

Consider this the first major disappointment of 2013.

#2 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

Been around the web myself. Putting it nicely, people seem more than just upset. I would be too If I had anticipated something that long. The original Alien is one of my favorite films, and Gearbox does hold favor with me because of Borderlands 1/2, but I never thought Colonial Marines would be anything better than your average sci-fi shooter, personally.

#3 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

This game would have been soooooo much better as an action/adventure game instead of just another generic testosterone-dripping shooter.  But of course Call of Duty sold a trillion copies so now all games must be shooters :roll:

#4 Posted by chaplainDMK (6842 posts) -
Not suprising, Gearbox has really fallen into mediocricy after Brothers in Arms Earned In Blood. And Randy should really stop hyping everything to hell and back, apparently they are giant fans of everything and yet they don't put an ounce of soul into a single of their products.
#5 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -

This will be the first uncensored f-bomb I post on GS...

iMDTW0opEiNAT.gif

#6 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

Euro Truck Simulator 2 currently has a higher metascore than this game. 

...Yeah. 

#7 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

I was totally on board with this game up until a few days ago, and I feel like I really dodged a bullet. It really upsets me that multiplayer seems to be where the money and effort went. I've got it in my rental queue, but I'll never buy it.

#8 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

I expect nothing good from the people who inflicted Duke Nukem on the world, so I'm not surprised. Yes, they make the Borderlands games, but that's some sort of freak accident. I've read interviews where Pitchford has claimed that Duke Nukem Forever is the modern Half Life 2.

http://www.destructoid.com/pitchford-duke-nukem-forever-is-exactly-like-half-life-2-231521.phtml

On the lighter side of the news the Wii U version of Aliens (which ships later) will reportedly be the best, a title akin to being the tallest midget.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-25-wii-u-aliens-colonial-marines-is-best-looking-version-because-of-consoles-more-modern-tech

#9 Posted by ESPM400 (95 posts) -
I personally can't remember any movie spin-off game that was worth my time, except maybe a Robocop platform shooter from my childhood (I think it was on the Genesis..?). I can assume that there were people that had high hopes for this game, but were there actually any people that actually expected this game to be good? It's a simple concept that devs don't seem to grasp; simple (yet awesome) action movies should be left as movies.
#10 Posted by AzelKosMos (34194 posts) -

I had hope for this, love Aliens, love Borderlands. Guess i'll avoid this one then.

#11 Posted by wiouds (5262 posts) -

Of what I played I am enjoying it.

I do not care about Metacritic. To me it is one of the worse site to look for a score.

#12 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

I've been slowly losing interest the last few months in it. Each new section of gameplay they showed was looking more and more average, with mediocre gunplay and poor visuals. The reviews confirmed how it looked, so I'm not going to even bother renting it now.

#13 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
It's too damn bad because this game could have really been something special. I was interested in it the last few months and now....... pffffft. I may but it for $7.99 in the bargin bin in a few months time.
#14 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

This was going to be one of my most anticipated games of this year. It's not fair. Why did Gearbox do this? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

They created my favourite war shooter ever and Alien franchise is one of my favourite, should have been a match made in heaven. 

I hate life.

#15 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -
I'm disappointed how quickly this went from must buy to possible rental.
#16 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

This was going to be one of my most anticipated games of this year. It's not fair. Why did Gearbox do this? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

They created my favourite war shooter ever and Alien franchise is one of my favourite, should have been a match made in heaven. 

I hate life.

Ilovegames1992

Problem # 1 - Gearbox didn't actually make the SP portion.

#17 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

I hate life.

Grammaton-Cleric

Oh. Well they seemed to be the lead developer, being the biggest name out of the bunch. So the blame falls on them. 

#18 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

I hate life.

Ilovegames1992

Oh. Well they seemed to be the lead developer, being the biggest name out of the bunch. So the blame falls on them. 

Although:

'Gearbox president Randy Pitchford said that "roughly 80 percent of the work on Colonial Marines is being done in-house at Gearbox, with the rest being done by outside developers."'

#19 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Interesting how Borderlands is basically the only franchise Gearbox has made that's any good. 

#20 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Interesting how Borderlands is basically the only franchise Gearbox has made that's any good. 

Vari3ty

Brothers in Arms?

#21 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

Ilovegames1992

Although:

'Gearbox president Randy Pitchford said that "roughly 80 percent of the work on Colonial Marines is being done in-house at Gearbox, with the rest being done by outside developers."'

It's a cluster**** either way, but I was shocked to hear they outsourced the most crucial element of the game. (single player)

#22 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

It's a cluster**** either way, but I was shocked to hear they outsourced the most crucial element of the game. (single player)

Grammaton-Cleric

It's wierd to think they would do that. Hopefully they don't continue down that path. The DLC offerings for Borderlands 2 have not been totally in-house either, and they do seem a bit lacking. Not as bad as CM seems to be, but definitely rougher in quality. 

#23 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Not saying i don't believe you but i imagine that single player would factor into this 80% of content? Is Randy just bullsh!tting?

I can't imagine them outsourcing such crucial elements.

#24 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Haha Wii U version will be the best one! Go Wii U! :lol: What trash this is. Serves Sega right in saying this will be one of their core franchises they will focus on. I hope it tanks.
#25 Posted by gameboy343 (1024 posts) -

saw that coming the day it was announced. will totally buy it when it's price is in the single digits in a couple months.

#26 Posted by Kevlar101 (6224 posts) -
Well, these days, there is an upside to BAD games. Because, BAD games = Funny as hell Angry Joe Review :P
#27 Posted by Bigboi500 (30112 posts) -

I'm not surprised that it's trash.

#28 Posted by Sstrawberryjam (21 posts) -

Sucks that Obsidian never got to make their Aliens RPG and this gets released.

#29 Posted by mikeyMKII (754 posts) -

Too bad they focused on Borderlands, and outsourced Aliens. :(

#30 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

mikeyMKII

But they have'nt done so entirely. While BL2 was developed in-house, the DLCs have not been, not all the way. And it shows by the dip in quality.

#31 Posted by thelordofpies (572 posts) -

This Is why you never Pre - Order a Game no matter how Good/Great it look's/Might be always wait for a few reviews to come out before putting down $60 on a game

#32 Posted by Gibsonsg527 (3313 posts) -

Vari3ty

Brothers In Arms is really good. 

#33 Posted by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

I'm actually enjoying it atm, been playing for 2 hours. It's funny how people praise CoD and Halo to death and yet when a different FPS comes along it just doesn't live up to their so called expectations (lawl). So far the only thing that I would actually call bad in ACM is the human Wayland AI which is just...ugh

#34 Posted by Flubbbs (3170 posts) -

Well, these days, there is an upside to BAD games. Because, BAD games = Funny as hell Angry Joe Review :PKevlar101

i cant wait to see his review lol.. he had high hopes for this game

#35 Posted by Gamefan1986 (1325 posts) -

I expect nothing good from the people who inflicted Duke Nukem on the world, so I'm not surprised. Yes, they make the Borderlands games, but that's some sort of freak accident. I've read interviews where Pitchford has claimed that Duke Nukem Forever is the modern Half Life 2.

http://www.destructoid.com/pitchford-duke-nukem-forever-is-exactly-like-half-life-2-231521.phtml

On the lighter side of the news the Wii U version of Aliens (which ships later) will reportedly be the best, a title akin to being the tallest midget.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-25-wii-u-aliens-colonial-marines-is-best-looking-version-because-of-consoles-more-modern-tech

CarnageHeart

Well they didn't really make DNF either, they just patched it up enough that it could be released, which is probably what really happened here, as this also had an extremely long dev time with many different studios working on it.

#36 Posted by JustPlainLucas (74235 posts) -
I'm thinking this might make a perfect 20 dollar purchase. I'm tempted to get it on the Wii U... just to have something to play again.
#37 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Gibsonsg527

Brothers In Arms is really good. 

Hmm, never really got into it. I may have to reconsider. 

#38 Posted by mikeyMKII (754 posts) -

[QUOTE="mikeyMKII"]

gpuFX16

But they have'nt done so entirely. While BL2 was developed in-house, the DLCs have not been, not all the way. And it shows by the dip in quality.

So the DLC for BL2 isn't that good? How does the dlc compare to say, Armory of General Knoxx?

#39 Posted by SteelAttack (10520 posts) -

Well, that's quite disappointing. Especially considering that even though they were not directly responsible for that mess, it's ost likely Gearbox's name the one that will be associated with the game.

#40 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Sega now saying Gearbox was the main dev team for everything and they are simply trying to shift blame for this crappy game

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/sega-aliens-colonial-marines-sp-was-not-outsourced-to-timegate-studios/

#41 Posted by klusps (10381 posts) -

Although the campaign is ok, the most disappointing part is how they falsely represented the game with the walkthrough demo with Randy commentating. The demo they show case is not in the final product and that was a HUGE turn off for me. I was expecting huge battles with a platoon of Colonial Marines by your side gunning down hordes of Aliens. It's kind of like how the Halo 2 E3 2004 demo left everybody disappointed when the final game released.

#42 Posted by Lyncaster (217 posts) -
Steam Summer Sale fodder. :D
#43 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Sega now saying Gearbox was the main dev team for everything and they are simply trying to shift blame for this crappy game

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/sega-aliens-colonial-marines-sp-was-not-outsourced-to-timegate-studios/

dvader654

The plot thickens.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/02/13/timegate-staff-estimate-50-of-aliens-colonial-marines-is-their-work/

However, a post on TimeGates own site by their Forum Moderator suggests there might be a bit more Gate and rather less Gears in the final product.

Messaged a few people in TG and found out that TG basically had a hand in everything. They are responsible for the weapons, the characters, some of the story, a fair amount of the aliens, and I dont mean conceptualization, they did the actual work of making said weapons and so on.

Technically they did work on the MP component, just not in the way I initially thought.

This said, the game underwent a lot of changes so TG doesnt actually know how much of their content is left. Some had the estimate that 50% of what you see in the campaign is their work, others wanted to see for themselves and would get back to me after playing the game themselves.

Now the interesting thing is that Gearbox have seemingly backed up this claim, If you take pre-production out of it, their [TimeGate's] efforts probably equivalent to ours.

#44 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
It is very possible that Sega has no clue who made the game.
#45 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

I'm actually enjoying it atm, been playing for 2 hours. It's funny how people praise CoD and Halo to death and yet when a different FPS comes along it just doesn't live up to their so called expectations (lawl). So far the only thing that I would actually call bad in ACM is the human Wayland AI which is just...ugh

Ballroompirate

Neither COD nor Halo is my personal metric for what constitutes a quality FPS; I simply think this game looks far below average.

I'm sure it's playable but many of us were expecting far more than another average (or below average) FPS.

#46 Posted by CastieI (124 posts) -
I could tell just from the commercials that this game would be crap, it's like whoever decided which clips to show in it was intentionally trying to get the word out in advance that it was a stinker. Just stick it in the pile of lame shootan' games and move on.
#47 Posted by SteverXIII (3829 posts) -
Read this: http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/ And have a good laugh...
#48 Posted by EXEraserVS (346 posts) -

Anyone see this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo

Demo VS final version. 

abtxe3.gif

iICGyCuJF0oPa.gif

What happened?

#49 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Anyone see this yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo

Demo VS final version.

abtxe3.gif

iICGyCuJF0oPa.gif

What happened?

EXEraserVS

Wow. That is a night and day difference.

#50 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Thats insane. Did they make a bullshot demo? I dont... what?