After seeing Colin and Greg on Gamespot ...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

So everyone by now knows that they quit their jobs to do their own thing.

Does it seem like the competing website they came from seems to have almost ... I don't know ... lost it's personality? It seems like there is a void left there that may take time to fill.

I am very happy for them, though and will be following their endeavors. Sometimes it's nicer being freed from corporate chains and the dictation of advertiser dollars. However, I'm sure anyone can be influenced by advertiser dollars the more popular they become.

Here's to hoping they stay honest and keep having fun.

But yeah, my basic point was that their old website they left seems to be not quite what it used to be.

I do enjoy Sliva, Otero and Altano on the Nintendo portion of it though. Perhaps it's just a transition phase.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

I feel like each iteration of transition in the world of video game console generations ushers in a period of transition in the staff of video game journalism websites.

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts

I've never looked at IGN much so the people who left were unknown to me before they did so. Someone mentioned Colin Moriarty's rant about gamers being entitled over the mass effect 3 ending though so I saw that and was thoroughly unimpressed with him.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@SpiderLuke: they left because of the update in the policies of IGN. Max Scoville is better and has better personality than both of them. They're basicly asking their fans to sustain them to do something they want to do instead of actually taking the risk and earning money the regular way. That seems like a douchey move

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Well honestly ign is lacking in videogame news... Every time I visit the site it's all about TV shows and movies (at least the front page. Still, it's kinda sad that I have to dig to find more gaming news on a gaming news site)

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I think Gamespot's site in general is lacking personality, as well as many other things. It used to have good articles, interesting reviews, and a site with easy navigation. Now it's a really bad Wordpress clone, with a completely broken search function, and the forums have been completely cut down from what they used to be. Most of the articles are advertisements (they say so in them), and the ones that aren't read like advertisements. There's just not a ton of value associated with this site anymore. It used to be bigger, more popular, and had more to offer.

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EJ902

@The_Last_Ride said:

@SpiderLuke: they left because of the update in the policies of IGN. Max Scoville is better and has better personality than both of them. They're basicly asking their fans to sustain them to do something they want to do instead of actually taking the risk and earning money the regular way. That seems like a douchey move

Did they say that's why they left or does that just happen to coincide with them leaving? The updated policies were improvements to their ethics policies as I recall so that can't be a bad thing.

@KHAndAnime said:

I think Gamespot's site in general is lacking personality, as well as many other things. It used to have good articles, interesting reviews, and a site with easy navigation. Now it's a really bad Wordpress clone, with a completely broken search function, and the forums have been completely cut down from what they used to be. Most of the articles are advertisements (they say so in them), and the ones that aren't read like advertisements. There's just not a ton of value associated with this site anymore. It used to be bigger, more popular, and had more to offer.

One thing I've noticed is the number of articles on GS that are just general tech news (nothing much to do with gaming) that just cite other tech sites as sources. On the plus side they are more professionally written and the authors here don't tend to use the website as a personal blog for their views like on the other sites.

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 593

#8 hxce
Member since 2006 • 2099 Posts

Greg Kasavin

Jeff Gerstmann

Brad Shoemaker

The best GameSpot staff there ever was. It has never been the same without them imo...

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#9 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@EJ902 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

Did they say that's why they left or does that just happen to coincide with them leaving? The updated policies were improvements to their ethics policies as I recall so that can't be a bad thing.

The latter. They've been planning this move for months, at least as far back as September of last year (maybe even earlier than that) according to their interview on The Lobby this week.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@hxce said:

Greg Kasavin

Jeff Gerstmann

Brad Shoemaker

The best GameSpot staff there ever was. It has never been the same without them imo...

Eh? you do know they made Giantbomb and are now again at Gamespot?

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hxce

@Jacanuk said:

@hxce said:

Greg Kasavin

Jeff Gerstmann

Brad Shoemaker

I know they made Giant Bomb but I didn't know they are back here. I'm don't see them making any reviews anyway.

I miss their video reviews and their shit chat.

Since when did they come back anyway and what do they do know exactly?

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 EJ902

@hxce said:

@Jacanuk said:

@hxce said:

Greg Kasavin

Jeff Gerstmann

Brad Shoemaker

I know they made Giant Bomb but I didn't know they are back here. I'm don't see them making any reviews anyway.

They're not back on gamespot exactly, just that CBSi (GameSpot's owners) bought Giantbomb as well. They're still on giantbomb which is now GameSpot's sister site.

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hxce

@EJ902: Ahaa. As I thought then. Was wondering what the "Eh?" was all about...

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jacanuk

@hxce said:

@Jacanuk said:

@hxce said:

Greg Kasavin

Jeff Gerstmann

Brad Shoemaker

CBS bought Giantbomb and moved them into the same building that houses Gamespot. But they still operate Giantbomb as a kinda separate site.

But you can be sure that they are working together behind the scenes.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jacanuk

@EJ902 said:

@hxce said:

@Jacanuk said:

@hxce said:

Greg Kasavin

Jeff Gerstmann

Brad Shoemaker

They're not back on gamespot exactly, just that CBSi (GameSpot's owners) bought Giantbomb as well. They're still on giantbomb which is now GameSpot's sister site.

Well, they are not back back like doing their thing on the actual Gamespot site, But since they are back in house with Gamespot, they are back.

Giantbomb is way to popular for them to just call it quits, just look at their liveshows. Giantbomb usually draw in a few k where gamespot are lucky if they reach 750-1000 concurrent viewers.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

IGN did lose alot with Greg and Colin, but i still enjoy Marty, Altano, and Daemon.. but they also have some terrible people like Mitch Dyer and Ryan McCaffery who is the worst

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hxce

@Jacanuk said:

@EJ902 said:

@hxce said:

@Jacanuk said:

@hxce said:

Greg Kasavin

Jeff Gerstmann

Brad Shoemaker

Well, they are not back back like doing their thing on the actual Gamespot site, But since they are back in house with Gamespot, they are back.

Giantbomb is way to popular for them to just call it quits, just look at their liveshows. Giantbomb usually draw in a few k where gamespot are lucky if they reach 750-1000 concurrent viewers.

Well you made it sound like they are BACK doing what they did 10 years ago with your reply to me.

frozengrudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 frozengrudge
Member since 2008 • 31 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

IGN did lose alot with Greg and Colin, but i still enjoy Marty, Altano, and Daemon.. but they also have some terrible people like Mitch Dyer and Ryan McCaffery who is the worst

I couldn't agree more, sir.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jacanuk

@hxce said:

Well you made it sound like they are BACK doing what they did 10 years ago with your reply to me.

And what did they do 10 years ago? Pretty much the excact same thing as they are doing now for CBSi who owns Gamespot and Giantbomb, in the same office as they used to be in.

So does it really matter that much that you now have to click giantbomb at the bottom and pay a premium to see their shows?

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hxce
@Jacanuk said:

@hxce said:

And what did they do 10 years ago? Pretty much the excact same thing as they are doing now for CBSi who owns Gamespot and Giantbomb, in the same office as they used to be in.

So does it really matter that much that you know have to click giantbomb at the bottom and pay a premium to see their shows?

It's still not the same. And yes it does matter.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 psx2514
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

@SpiderLuke: Are you talking about Colin Moriarty and Greg Miller? By the way, I met Greg Miller briefly a few times. He sometimes shops at where I work.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 psx2514
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

@hxce said:

Greg Kasavin

Jeff Gerstmann

Brad Shoemaker

What about Alex Navarro? I'd say the whole team before the Kane & Lynch incident was fantastic.

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hxce

@psx2514 said:

@hxce said:

Greg Kasavin

Jeff Gerstmann

Brad Shoemaker

What about Alex Navarro? I'd say the whole team before the Kane & Lynch incident was fantastic.

Totally agree mate...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Last_Ride

@c_rakestraw said:
@EJ902 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

The latter. They've been planning this move for months, at least as far back as September of last year (maybe even earlier than that) according to their interview on The Lobby this week.

I've talked to an industry insider who knows these guys and said it was the policy change, i don't want to get him into trouble by saying the exact details. But they have too close connections to some companies

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jacanuk

@hxce said:
@Jacanuk said:

@hxce said:

So does it really matter that much that you know have to click giantbomb at the bottom and pay a premium to see their shows?

It's still not the same. And yes it does matter.

Right sure its not the same and it does matter because Giantbomb is not CBS or have offices in the exact same place as Gamespot.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jacanuk

@The_Last_Ride said:

@c_rakestraw said:
@EJ902 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

I've talked to an industry insider who knows these guys and said it was the policy change, i don't want to get him into trouble by saying the exact details. But they have too close connections to some companies

I am sure glad they left if they had to close connections to companies and mudded up the picture of independent critics.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I am sure glad they left if they had to close connections to companies and mudded up the picture of independent critics.

These two guys in particular are known to be biased anyways. There are other openly biased employees at IGN (they just admit it which I guess is better than trying to put up a veil) but these two were closer to the extreme end, especially Colin.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

@firefox59 said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

These two guys in particular are known to be biased anyways. There are other openly biased employees at IGN (they just admit it which I guess is better than trying to put up a veil) but these two were closer to the extreme end, especially Colin.

Well, they seem to be giving a lot of love to Nintendo on their new show now.They were doing some playthroughs on PC too. If anything, they probably like everything quite a bit more than Xbox I'm guessing. I agree that they had a soft spot for Sony, but it was obvious that they were excited for stuff like Shovel Knight and Super Smash Bros. They almost had to be being voices of Playstation. But yeah, still, I know that was probably their fave. Like you said, they made it no secret.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@c_rakestraw said:
@EJ902 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

yeah this guy i know knows these guys and said he was pretty sure about this. They are also more despicable imo to rely on people giving them money to do what they want, instead of actually earning it through ads and actual sponsorship.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The_Last_Ride

@SpiderLuke: i didn't say they didn't like other companies. Greg & Colin were the faces of the Sony part of things. So they are bound to get linked to Sony