A trend that concerns me as a gamer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Batman is probably the prime example of this. Announcing games before they are even close to being released. This past E3 was better than the last ones concerning games that were just teased. Personally i would like more of something in the line of what EA did. Showing concept art and letting the developers speak about the game.

Arkham, Bioshock, Watch Dogs, etc all get announced years ahead and even get delayed. If you're not ready to show the game, then you shouldn't announce it. Games are awesome, but publishers feed us with teasers, trailers and controlled gameplay demo's way before the game is ready. We're not babies that need to be spoonfed this. We want the real deal and see how the game plays, not how it looks with a CGI trailer.

Microsoft did this the most with games like Scalebound and Crackdown, but others did this aswell don't get me wrong. But i don't get excited with something that doesn't show anything.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

E3 to me is more of an announcement show, Sort of a " These are the games we are working on and will come out between end of this year and two years from now", which if there is a title and premise of a game that interestes me then I'll note it up as something to check in on once in awhile.

Gameplay trailers are scripted and clearly acted out ( Rainbow Six : The Siege, The Division) and most trailers are as you say CGI.

Personally I don't see it as a problem unless you look at the games shown on E3 as " This is exactly how the game will be", That's not likely the case and you will be disappointed if you think so.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

This doesn't really bother me at all. I like seeing stuff whether it's close to release or far away and if it get's delayed then it gets delayed. If I hear that something that I'm really looking forward get's delayed I may be a bit bummed out about it but honestly it doesn't really bother me that much, probably because I currently have lots of games I want to play anyway so the wait isn't a big deal. As for CGI trailers I love those, I absolutely love watching beautifully rendered game trailers and/or cutscenes. Most of the time I can tell that the game will appeal to me even just from a pre-rendered game trailer.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

I see nothing wrong with showing games when they are early. People on forums just get consumed by the "hype".

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

There's no problem with it at all. The problem is on the end of the viewers. Some viewers get really reeled in by trailers and start to build up expectation. So that games like Watch Dogs, which end up being hugely delayed, end up being the most hyped game of all time. It's ridiculous. It's not the developers fault though, it's the viewers. It's important to think about how you react to information and whether that reaction is good in the long term.

The darker side of the coin is that people who over-hype games then often suffer from a completely self-induced sense of entitlement if the game doesn't turn out as they hoped. They feel that the hype was a payment of some kind and that they're owed more for their money that they would be if it was a spontaneous purchase. It's ridiculous. And it's 99% the fault of the gamer.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Better than promising something that would probably not happen... hang on...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Batman is probably the prime example of this. Announcing games before they are even close to being released. This past E3 was better than the last ones concerning games that were just teased. Personally i would like more of something in the line of what EA did. Showing concept art and letting the developers speak about the game.

Arkham, Bioshock, Watch Dogs, etc all get announced years ahead and even get delayed. If you're not ready to show the game, then you shouldn't announce it. Games are awesome, but publishers feed us with teasers, trailers and controlled gameplay demo's way before the game is ready. We're not babies that need to be spoonfed this. We want the real deal and see how the game plays, not how it looks with a CGI trailer.

Microsoft did this the most with games like Scalebound and Crackdown, but others did this aswell don't get me wrong. But i don't get excited with something that doesn't show anything.

Arkham Knight was ready to be shown, and it was. This recent E3 gameplay footage was not CGI, and the delay supposedly will only be until Q1-Q2 next year, hardly a long one. Then only problem I have is with cases such as TLG.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Games are becoming too big of a risk to not be revealed far in advance now.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

The next Batman game wasn't announced that long ago, was it? And it sounds like it's going to release early 2015, which isn't that far away. I do like for an announced game to have a rough release time upon announcement, though. So I partially agree with you. I don't like when an announced game goes quiet for too long. It can ruin any initial excitement. But I guess once all said and done, I'm going to enjoy the game the same. BioShock Infinite is definitely a good example. It was announced quite some time before it came out and it was significantly delayed if I remember right. I lost quite a bit of hype for it, but in the end, once the game finally came out and I played it, I thoroughly enjoyed it. There are some current trends in gaming to be worried about, but overall I don't think this is one of them.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I have a feeling they not showing the game off for us, they're showing it off for investors and share holders.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#11  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

It's all to build up the hype machine. However, the recent trend of delaying games seems odd to me. Delays should only happen if a game isn't meeting standards right before launch. I think the problem is that game announcements are coming too early just to build up the next-gen consoles.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Hmm, not sure what you mean? E3 has always been about showing of new and upcoming titles and its always been shown sometimes 3 E3´s before a actual release. So not sure what trend your concerned about?

In fact my concern is more that some games never becomes a part of E3 or not part of the E3 that are shown to us the public who can't attend E3, and that is a sad trend, particular when it seems like small developers don't have the cash or even is allowed to showcare games, where are Nordic games, Telltale, Digital Revolver, Top-ware, Deep Silver and many other mid-range studios

I think its about time that the spot Nintendo used to have is filled with a stage where all those midrange developer could get a chance to showcase their games.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Oh yeah that... I'm unemployed and broke as f#ck and moving back in with my mom so I don't mind at all.... Plenty of games in the bargain bin that I wana try out.... :)

don't you guys have backlogs to catch up on or something ?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jacanuk

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Oh yeah that... I'm unemployed and broke as f#ck and moving back in with my mom so I don't mind at all.... Plenty of games in the bargain bin that I wana try out.... :)

don't you guys have backlogs to catch up on or something ?

Nope, we all play every game the day it comes out on all platforms :D

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk: But it's becoming worse. Games weren't announce 2-3 years before release before even knowing if it comes out

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#16 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: sure they were. They were just eventually released or became vaporware.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jacanuk

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk: But it's becoming worse. Games weren't announce 2-3 years before release before even knowing if it comes out

I think its more a case a lot more media coverage about the few big titles that are and when they will be released, because i don't remember a time when companies didn´t announce games 2-3 years ahead of time and then you could follow the development on e3.

But anyways i dont see a problem, a bigger problem would be if they didn´t announce any games at all. or like Ubisoft do, where was Child of Light at E3? or The Settlers, Valient Hearts or many of the other titles they are releasing? from E3 you wouldn´t know that Ubisoft was much more then Assassins creed and Far Cry.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I think its more a case a lot more media coverage about the few big titles that are and when they will be released, because i don't remember a time when companies didn´t announce games 2-3 years ahead of time and then you could follow the development on e3.

But anyways i dont see a problem, a bigger problem would be if they didn´t announce any games at all. or like Ubisoft do, where was Child of Light at E3? or The Settlers, Valient Hearts or many of the other titles they are releasing? from E3 you wouldn´t know that Ubisoft was much more then Assassins creed and Far Cry.

Valiant Hearts was shown, but Child of Light is already out and Settlers was announced yesterday

MarkBmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MarkBmont
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

They do it because they want people to jump on the hype train, pre order. Then later realize how much money they wasted

smitherton4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 smitherton4
Member since 2014 • 67 Posts

It's annoying trend but practically needed since games are such a costly endeavors for the companies so they're going to push them as hard as possible.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Last_Ride

@smitherton4 said:

It's annoying trend but practically needed since games are such a costly endeavors for the companies so they're going to push them as hard as possible.

But that doesn't make any sense, because no one is talking about the game after E3. They should have saved the money for commercial closer to launch...

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

I agree that most teasers are BS, if they got nothing to show, they should wait till they can indeed.

AGeekyLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AGeekyLink
Member since 2014 • 58 Posts

It's just marketing... Not much that we can do about it :(.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@ageekylink said:

It's just marketing... Not much that we can do about it :(.

But it makes no sense advertising a game that's not finished yet

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

It's done to generate demand.

AGeekyLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AGeekyLink
Member since 2014 • 58 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: yes it does, the more you crave it, the more they are sure you will buy it.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The_Last_Ride

@ageekylink said:

@The_Last_Ride: yes it does, the more you crave it, the more they are sure you will buy it.

If that were true, then i would be buying COD each year

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Welcome to every E3 ever. MS were the oddballs last gen when they tended to announce titles that were coming that year and not really focus on anything else. This is how it's always been. Name a time when this wasn't the case. Tis not a trend.

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mercuria1_King
Member since 2014 • 278 Posts

I do not have a problem with it.

microtrony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 microtrony
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

It's all a marketing thing. I remember the Diablo 3 and Sacred 2 battling on the internet. Sacred 2 announced closed to completion, Diablo 3 revealed, Diablo 3 coming this fall, Diablo 3 almost here, Playedbeta of Diablo 3, Sacred out - people don't buy it cause of Diablo's spammertime (it looked like the game was almost out), Sacred 2 falls on it's back, Diablo 3 postponed for another 2 or 3 years, but mission accomplished, competition annihilated. That's what happens when a smaller dev enters a big league.

Personally don't like it, and it actually influenced my shopping cart. Lemme give you an example.Dragon Age, the first one, wherever I looked, whatever forum or games portal I looked, there it was, 6-7 months pre-release, always that friggin' game. Now, don't get me wrong, I luuuuved BG, Icewind dale, neverwinter, but cmon, go f***** yourself already with all that. The game got released, I didn't give a flying f*** about it anymore. Maybe it's just me, dunno.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 natetodamax
Member since 2008 • 396 Posts

At some point the need to get the marketing train rolling early to drive pre-orders overrides whatever you might personally want out of game announcements. I doubt that'll change.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#33 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I wouldn't call it a trend as it's more of the standard. This has been going on for years, and really it makes a lot of sense. If you're pouring millions upon millions of dollars into a game (or any product for that matter), it's a serious investment and you should start getting the word out as soon as possible.

The problem with this practice is all the promises being made that are never fulfilled. Saying you're going to make a game look a certain way and play a certain way but then start changing things; that greatly effects people's perception of the game and that's when people start feeling it's been over hyped.