A flood of a genre means lack of creativity?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drodriguesaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 drodriguesaar
Member since 2012 • 173 Posts

On some occasions in the course a new generation of consoles, we see that some genres of games take more highlights than others. In recent years we have seen many shooting games being published, which created a flood of this type of game.

Also, it was mentioned that this type of behavior is a reflection of the lack of creativity of companies that develop games.

So, I would like to know your opinions on this point.

=)

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Developer creativity and ingenuity is often a secondary objective to making money. If a genre becomes popular we see companies mimicking that success in order to bring in more cash.

We began to see more shooters duplicate other popular franchises in terms of gameplay and tone. The Medal of Honor franchise, for example, was transformed into an underwhelming Call of Duty clone where it used to have it's own identity. Eventually, we saw tone move over into other genres in order to attract a wider audience. See: Dead Space and Dragon Age being advertised as more action oriented, with producers often saying that they want to attract the Call of Duty crowd.

Developer creativity, or lack there of, isn't really the problem. Instead, it should be asked if their publisher allows it or not.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Gamers don't want other types of gamers, they don't buy them so companies won't mak/invest in them.

I've always maintained that any and eveyproblem this industry may have will always be the gamers fault.

drodriguesaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 drodriguesaar
Member since 2012 • 173 Posts

@IndianaPwns39:

I agree with you. Somehow the developers are under the company's desire.

I remember there was a time in the PS One in which we saw a lot of games in the genre arcade shooter, Cho Aniki game was a criticism of the genre.

Seeing the side of the companies, I remember a saying: "Nothing is created, everything is copied." Actually they need to profit, that is undeniable.

But somehow, this attitude of "clone a gender" under another name and other aesthetics, can create a bad habit among gaming companies. And that somehow makes them "lazy".

I believe that in this generation we'll see much of it related to the MMO genre. Destiny, Tom Clancy The Division among others, are giving an indication that the next generation we'll see enough of this genre.

We cannot create a new genre of gaming, but we can originally create ideias for the games we want to develop.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

It is more about the creativity are in the tiny things that most over look.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Gamers don't want other types of gamers, they don't buy them so companies won't mak/invest in them.

I've always maintained that any and eveyproblem this industry may have will always be the gamers fault.

Nah, you don't understand. True gamers want other types of games. It's that casual crowd that spoils it for the true gamers. Back in the day, when video games weren't mainstream yet, everything was better.

;-)

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Part of what you are addressing is going where the money is and part of it is making the potential of an original idea reality. Sometimes, one company is not enough to do that. For example, third person shooters with cover systems would not be mainstream if not for Gears of War, but that game got the idea from Kill Switch. If Epic never grew Namco's idea, then the gaming industry would be noticeably different today.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ loafofgame

True Gamers ?

Theres no such thing.