$70 dollars for a game now?! WTF!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rikomi_Sapota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Rikomi_Sapota
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Go on EBGames or any other website, the prices are 70 dollars for next gen games now. With tax, that's like 80+ dollars. This is ridiculous... I'm debating whether or not I should buy single player games when they come out. I think I might wait a year until the price drops. It's almost 100 dollars for a game lol...

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Nope, still sixty dollars for me. It's either an EBgames only thing, or a regional thing.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@rikomi_sapota: What country do you live in friend? Because for me, it's the same as @Randolph. Still the usual $60, I just checked.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i remember paying 60-70 for some SNES game back in the mid 90s

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Stop moaning, i pay 120 bucks...

tempura13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tempura13
Member since 2009 • 453 Posts

This led me to think that somehow, I won't be surprised if they do increase prices in the near future. Probably next gen? Hopefully not, but still...

Development costs continue to rise after all. For now, extra revenues are recouped via DLCs and other things. No problems here if these additional stuff are done right, but that's another story.

Even when a game exceeds sales expectations, there's still a chance that the studio/developer may dissolve if fate wishes so.

Or am I just being paranoid?

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

The cost of making games have increase and not just because of graphic and marketing. They need someway to deal with the change in price so I can see them wanting an increase in price but the problem is the gamers choose the price.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Youre probably looking at the placeholder price for a game being released way in the future. Amazon does it all the time.

Or, you just don't know what youre talking about.

But really people have been paying 70+ for games for a long time. They double dip on re-releases, they buy DLC which adds upwards of 50 bucks for a 60 dollar game, they re-buy a game of the year edition or complete edition of a game they own and so on. So its proven people want to pay more than 60 bucks for their games.

Rikomi_Sapota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rikomi_Sapota

I live in Canada

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@rikomi_sapota:

To be honest with the value of money decreasing and the games being much larger than they use to be I can understand the price increase. I don't like it at all but it's very realistic and it will only get worse. It's all part of inflation.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44107 Posts

Yeah I live in Canada too and it's because the value of our dollar has dropped which really sucks. My local Walmart had Castlevania LoS 2 advertised for $65 but Future Shop has it at $60 and all the other newly released games for both PS3/360 and PS4/One are still $60 at these places. I don't shop at EBgames so they may be the only place charging more right now. Our dollar has been gaining ground so hopefully this is just a blip and our games will stay at the $60 mark.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Really? You should have been around when the old consoles were out back in the day. They costed more than $60. Last game I remember buying for $70 was Chrono Trigger on the SNES when it first came out. It's NOTHING new.

Boosterx2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Boosterx2002

forrealz? so tired of hearing poor people complain not our fault you from a poor family. i hope games go up to a hundred dollars a peace so that poor ppl can stay last gen. i got nuthin against poor ppl but dam you wine alot

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#14  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@boosterx2002 said:

forrealz? so tired of hearing poor people complain not our fault you from a poor family. i hope games go up to a hundred dollars a peace so that poor ppl can stay last gen. i got nuthin against poor ppl but dam you wine alot

Wow, that's one of the worst posts I've ever seen, and I'm a system wars regular.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@wiouds said:

The cost of making games have increase and not just because of graphic and marketing. They need someway to deal with the change in price so I can see them wanting an increase in price but the problem is the gamers choose the price.

I think costs are staying about the same, new tools are constantly coming around that make creation easier/faster.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

They may just be 70 on eBay because it may be hard to find those games in store because they may be sold out. However, the keep price is still around 60 for next gen games I believe.

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

@boosterx2002 said:

Please tell me you're trolling. There's no way that someone can be this ignorant. Is there?

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

Even more for some N64 carts if memory serves. Seems like at least one of them hit the $80 range, but I may be mistaken. I do know Super Mario All-Stars was $70+.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#19 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

@rikomi_sapota said:

Go on EBGames or any other website, the prices are 70 dollars for next gen games now. With tax, that's like 80+ dollars. This is ridiculous... I'm debating whether or not I should buy single player games when they come out. I think I might wait a year until the price drops. It's almost 100 dollars for a game lol...

I'm seeing a lot of next gen games in the UK priced between £45 - £50 GBP ( ~ $75 - $83 USD ). Some places have cheaper prices for some games, but not many, so it would not surprise me if prices are set to rise for next gen. :/

pupp3t_mast3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By pupp3t_mast3r
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

@rikomi_sapota said:

I wish I had your prices... In Australia new AAA releases on consoles are $99.95 each...

https://ebgames.com.au/ps4-161674-Thief-PlayStation-4

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 The_Last_Ride

@boosterx2002 said:

Please shut up and leave this thread. That post is total bs

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

@pupp3t_mast3r said:

@rikomi_sapota said:

I wish I had your prices... In Australia new AAA releases on consoles are $99.95 each...

Fellow Australian. Don't buy new releases at EBGames. Games are not $99.95 in Australia. Just in the magical land of EBLame. That's deliberate. They want you to trade in games to bring the price down, and they want you to buy more used games.

Thief for PS4: JB Hifi: $89
http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/ps4/thief-ps4/686694

Big W: $88
http://www.bigw.com.au/entertainment/video-games-consoles/ps4/ps4-games/bpnBIGW_AID123594/playstation-4-thief-with-preorder-dlc

About 89-90 is what Australians should be paying for games locally. The retailers need to make their money, and pay their workers. We have considerably higher wages and the cost of doing business here is very high. Also includes GST.

P.S. "Wishing" you had foreign prices in Australia is a lot like saying "I wish we had less public services, lower wages, and a decline in living standards." Should be grateful to live in a country with $16.37 adult minimum wage.

pupp3t_mast3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pupp3t_mast3r

@Lhomity said:

@pupp3t_mast3r said:

@rikomi_sapota said:

Fellow Australian. Don't buy new releases at EBGames. Games are not $99.95 in Australia. Just in the magical land of EBLame. That's deliberate. They want you to trade in games to bring the price down, and they want you to buy more used games.

Thief for PS4: JB Hifi: $89

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/ps4/thief-ps4/686694

Big W: $88

http://www.bigw.com.au/entertainment/video-games-consoles/ps4/ps4-games/bpnBIGW_AID123594/playstation-4-thief-with-preorder-dlc

About 89-90 is what Australians should be paying for games locally. The retailers need to make their money, and pay their workers. We have considerably higher wages and the cost of doing business here is very high. Also includes GST.

P.S. "Wishing" you had foreign prices in Australia is a lot like saying "I wish we had less public services, lower wages, and a decline in living standards." Should be grateful to live in a country with $16.37 adult minimum wage.

Don't get me wrong I stopped buying at EB a long time ago and have been with JBHIFI ever since I first discovered them, I referred to EB since they were a store directly quoted in the starting comment.

This may be off topic here but the mark ups in most retail stores in Australia aren't just retailers making their money and paying workers. It's a mix of the fact that Australia's real estate value is inflated (pushing up costs) and at the same time retailers expecting higher margins here than if they were in other first world countries due to the fact Australia functioned as an isolated economy for quite a time to allow it's industries to grow. What we have now is a situation where even though industries have been established companies aren't as willing to let their profit margins drop to a realistic level or a more competitive level when compared to the global market.

In relation to your P.S. while we do have some of the highest minimum wages for an adult in the world, speaking as a part of the younger generation I can safely say that the first few jobs I had and should've been paid at that wage didn't happen. Most businesses have loopholes where you get shafted with a lower pay rate and while it's great to quote numbers like that around, when you start out in the workforce you can safely expect to be paid around $12 an hour before tax. I also don't see how higher retail prices in any way affect public services or living standards. Corporate tax is not as high as you would expect and given how convoluted Australia's taxation system is tax evasion as a corporation i.e. large retailers is a lot easier than you would expect as well. This translates into corporate tax not contributing as much as you would expect to federal reserves and not playing as big a part as you would imagine in maintaining the living standards that we've come to enjoy in Australia.

Higher retail prices affect one thing and one thing alone, the profit margins of the companies behind them.

P.S. My comments are based on a Bachelor's degree in business and economics as well as life/work experience.

Boosterx2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Boosterx2002

@The_Last_Ride: dude i said i got nothing againt poor ppl i'm not trying to be mean just speaking my mine dont become one of my haterz

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

It must be our greedy retailers thinking they can jack the prices up cause our dollars a bit less then the usd. Wierd thing though is many games are still 59.99. but futureshop.ca has some new games on ps4 listed at 69.99. heres 4 i found...

Infamous ps4 http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/infamous-second-son-limited-edition-playstation-4/10255414.aspx?path=75eb8cc145df257fa3b7dcf6df4544ecen02&SearchPageIndex=1

destiny ps4 http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/destiny-playstation-4/10255411.aspx?path=0633f8250cc6b8afa66b6e31549a0c03en02

the order ps4 http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/the-order-1886-playstation-4/10255417.aspx?path=655386f9314d8ad1c26ced96dce4f438en02

makes no difference to me though, i buy only a small handful of games a year, so an extra 10 dollars a game isn't gonna hurt me... but anyone who buys many will likely hate this or just not buy any till they drop. Most of the time i don't get to a game for a least a year or more and they drop 20-30 dollars by then.

Infamous is also 69.99 at amazon.ca, but the other games are 59.99 at amazon.ca. Shop around is what you should do and u can likely find 59.99 dollar games. Or just wait a few months for them to drop in price.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@boosterx2002 said:

@The_Last_Ride: dude i said i got nothing againt poor ppl i'm not trying to be mean just speaking my mine dont become one of my haterz

Get out of the forums you moron. I bet you don't even know how hard it is these days to earn a decent amount of money.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

This is why i rarely buy games new. It's for $20-30 games. Money is hard to come by.

ChaosDecides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChaosDecides
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

I remember those days. There was some gaming store chain that was in a lot of malls back in the 90's that seemed to always have overpriced games. Some SNES titles were like 80 bucks after taxes and they were probably crappy. Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball had a $70 price sticker on it. I don't pay more than $29.99 for a game and that's only if it's a bundle, otherwise I wait until the game is at the most $19.99. I'm patient so it pays off.

Boosterx2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Boosterx2002

@CountBleck12: LULZ u got censored for calling me a dumb kid way 2 go hater

_HazBro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 _HazBro_
Member since 2014 • 125 Posts

They did this last generation too at one point in time, when our dollar went down too. You can't do much besides not buy the games at launch and wait for price drops.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Last_Ride

@boosterx2002 said:

Please go away

tempura13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tempura13
Member since 2009 • 453 Posts
@boosterx2002 said:

I have no words.

@boosterx2002 said:

That aside, do you want the industry to crash and burn?

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@boosterx2002 said:

Actually no it wasn't censored but I shouldn't have not changed it since you are just further proving my point anyway. You don't even know what the **** you're talking about nor do you know how hard it is to earn money.

profanityVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 profanityVP
Member since 2005 • 393 Posts

i remember when the xbox 360 games first came out they were 120 dollars for new release games in australia,

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts
@rikomi_sapota said:

I live in Canada

We get screwed a lot when it comes to pricing on games and devices here in Canada. I moved to PC gaming and so far I enjoy it (I can get relatively new games off Steam sales for like 7$), I don't want to deal with the current gen consoles not right now at least.

pupp3t_mast3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pupp3t_mast3r

@The_Last_Ride said:

@boosterx2002 said:

Please go away

Ride trolls always be trolling just ignore bleck and he'll go away like a bad smell.

Boosterx2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Boosterx2002

Sounds like jealousy hater

RoyalClown_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RoyalClown_1
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts
@boosterx2002 said:

iQ points lost from reading this: 22.

thx alot trole.

In response to OP, another good reason to NOT buy games on release. At least wait until they start selling used which is usually a day or two later lol.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 The_Last_Ride

@pupp3t_mast3r said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@boosterx2002 said:

Please go away

Ride trolls always be trolling just ignore bleck and he'll go away like a bad smell.

it wasn't bleck, it's @boosterx2002

Boosterx2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Boosterx2002

@royalclown_1: *troll

guess you guys are but hurt about being poor whatevs haters keep hatin on me

Baldeagle91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Baldeagle91
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

That's *partially* inflation for you.

I remember when I was younger 2001-2005 only AAA games would cost £30-£32 in the UK, it now cost's £49.99 for all games unless you buy them online where they're around £45. And thats for normal games.

Previously they cost around £25.

pupp3t_mast3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 pupp3t_mast3r

@The_Last_Ride said:

@pupp3t_mast3r said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@boosterx2002 said:

Please go away

it wasn't bleck, it's @boosterx2002

/facepalm, yes my bad I picked the wrong name! >.< soz bleck!

tomahawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 tomahawk_

I've never paid more than $60 on a PS4 game.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

No, 59.99 is still the standard for a console release in the U.S.

Other countries have higher prices, but that is nothing new. I don't believe they will attempt (or sustain if they do) even a $5 price increase at this point. $59.99 is the ceiling for the U.S. for most console releases. If anything, it could go down, cause at that price, gamers are more conservative about what their buying, which explains the extreme disparity of a game being hit or miss, of a studio riding high one year then going bankrupt the next.

If anything they are indirectly increasing the price through DLC. But I personally have not played a game yet where I thought the DLC was crucial to the experience, thank God.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

@rikomi_sapota said:

Thats why i do NOT buy games from the stores anymore, i buy my games from PSN now officially going fully digital as games on PSN are $59.99 exactly no tax even when the same games are $80+ including tax instores ( so far this huge increase is only in Canada which im assuming is due to the weak Canadian dollar )

patrickdeala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 patrickdeala

just buy it off Kijiji cuz there's people willing to sell a $70 game for $50-$60

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Thread locked.

Please do not bump old topics in the future. Thank you.