deactivated-5ce97e3367e28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By deactivated-5ce97e3367e28
Member since 2013 • 152 Posts

Although the following is by no means a comprehensive guide to the world of The Witcher 3, it is a few helpful tips I wish I had known when I set out on my adventure through the game’s world the first time. I just finished my first play-through in just over a hundred 100 hours, and along the way I’ve picked up some (hopefully) helpful tricks of the trade.

I.) Invest in saddlebags that expand your inventory capacity.

Inventory capacity, at least in the first 10 levels or so, seems fine – yet as you progress further into the world an expanded inventory becomes very convenient. There are three different saddlebags that respectively increase inventory capacity by 30, 70 and 100. To access the best of the three (100), you have to advance to a certain point in the main story questline. Once you gain access to the Putrid Grove (in Novigrad), there is a vendor that sells the 100 expanded inventory saddlebag in this zone. Here is a link to the locations of inventory-expanding-saddlebag vendors: http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/increase-inventory-space-with-saddlebags/

II.) Track down Witcher Gear diagrams and craft them.

Witcher Gear is some of the best gear you can get in the game. There are four schools/sets of Witcher Gear, each with differing stats. Every set (apart from Viper/Serpentine) can be upgraded three times (Enchanced, Superior and Mastercrafted), and each basic set differs in its starting level. Diagrams for the original sets as well as their upgrades are spread across the world. The level requirement for each set increases upon every upgrade. What set will work for you best depends on your play style. Have a look at the links below my basic explanations for the Witcher Gear diagram locations.

II.I) Viper School: This school only contains a steel and silver sword, and no armour. The level requirement for the Serpentine Steel Sword is 2, whilst the level requirement for the Serpentine Silver Sword is 1. The swords give an increase to experience gained upon slaying enemies, as well as giving you a chance to poison enemies. Here’s a link to the diagram locations: http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/Scavenger_Hunt:_Viper_School_Gear

II.II) Griffin School: This is the first proper Witcher Gear set, and it gives a bonus to Sign intensity. Its basic set swords require a level of 7, whilst its basic armour requires a level of 8. Its armour density is Medium. If you invest in this set it is recommended to also train the General ability ‘Griffin School Techniques’. Here’s a link to the starting/basic diagram locations: http://www.accelerated-ideas.com/news/witcher-3-walkthrough--griffin-school-gear-quest.aspx

II.III) Cat School: This set gives a bonus to Attack Power. Its basic set silver sword requires a level of 13, whilst its basic set armour and steel sword require a level of 14. Its armour density is Light. If you invest in this school it is recommended that you train the General ability ‘Cat School Techniques’. Here’s a link to the starting/basic diagram locations: http://www.accelerated-ideas.com/news/witcher-3-walkthrough--cat-school-gear-quest.aspx

II.IV) Bear School: This set gives a bonus to Adrenaline Point gain. Its basic set steel sword requires level 15, whilst its basic set silver sword requires level 16 and its basic set armour requires 17. Its armour density is Heavy. If you invest in this school it is recommended that you train the General ability ‘Bear School Techniques’. Here’s a link to the starting/basic diagram locations: http://www.accelerated-ideas.com/news/witcher-3-walkthrough--bear-school-gear-quest.aspx

If you’re looking for guides to the Enhanced, Superior and Mastercrafted sets of each school, you can search for them at www.accelerated-ideas.com.

III.) Invest in unlocking the druid alchemist Gremist’s stock (which will also let you upgrade the Swallow potion to its third tier).

Swallow is your traditional RPG healing-potion, and boosts Vitality (health) regeneration. You start with the basic formula, but have to find the Enhanced and Superior versions of the recipe randomly. By far the hardest part of acquiring materials for the upgrades is Vitriol (needed for the ultimate Superior version of the potion). To find the vendor go to Gedyneith fast travel point on the main island of Skellege. There are two fast travel points quite close to each other both with the name Gedyneith. Go to the right-side (easternmost) one then follow the trail a short way north. You’ll come across the Alchemist (Gremist is his name) in question, but before you can trade with him you have to complete three quests for him. I believe the recommended level for these is 21. I’m not sure if you can acquire Vitriol anywhere else in the world (it probably is a random drop as well) but this is the only place I could find a formula for it. Gremist also stocks many other VERY handy formulas and glyphs.

IV.) Invest in the first tier of the Quen Sign ability (protective shield).

Most monsters have a weakness to a particular Sign, but I found spending 3/3 ability points in the first tier of the Quen Sign is the best option for general play. It’s useful against any enemy. Yet in my humble opinion, to spend more than 3/3 ability points in the Quen Sign is unnecessary. The intensity of the Quen Sign, like any other Sign, can be boosted by applying the relevant glyph to your armour.

V.) Make use of Potions of Clearance (ability-reset potion)

To reset your abilities you’ll need to imbibe a Potion of Clearance. These cost 1000 Crowns and can be purchased from numerous vendors. Here’s a link to the vendor locations: http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/skill-reset/

VI.) Make use of the Vivaldi Bank in Novigrad

During your adventures you will come across Florens and Orens (currencies different to that of the game’s Crowns). You can exchange these for Crowns at the Vivaldi Bank in Novigrad. Here’s a link to the bank’s location: http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/bank-location-in-novigrad/

-------------------------------

If you haven’t purchased The Witcher 3 yet, are still undecided (and need another opinion) check out my in-depth review of the game: http://www.gamespot.com/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/user-reviews/2200-12650197/

-------------------------------

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

nice blog dude

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

Nice, thanks, needed some info on this. I was thinking about going for the cat gear but then i read this >> Cat school gear is better than both Viper and Griffin. It is only superseded by the Bear school and other Master Armorer quest gear. So my question is, should i go for Bear instead? really want the best gear, and are there other better and uniqe Master Armorer quest gear out there?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Great tips.

I would also add that people should spend time practicing the different combat mechanics early on to figure out how they want to use what, and when. Taking the time to square up against some simple foes where you can afford to experiment without terrible danger is super useful in the long run, because the skills and insight you gain can from practicing and experimentation can transform a button-mashing frustration into an elegant dance (ok, "elegant" may be strong - but, really much more enjoyable and skill-based)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

When you're given the choice to either move forward the main story such as going together with certain characters, don't. Always pick you'll meet them there later. I did the former and ended up automatically failing a few secondary quests I haven't noticed earlier.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ce97e3367e28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5ce97e3367e28

@ojmstr: Cat School isn't necessarily better than Griffin. It depends what upgrade version you're talking about. On my first play through I played mostly with Cat because it suited my ability build (upgraded Fast Attack etc.). It depends what type of style you're playing and what your ability build is. I tried all of them, and I personally enjoyed/found Cat the best.

Also, I think all Mastercrafted Witcher Gear versions have the exact same stats, it's just their bonuses that differ (ie higher crit rate for Cat, better Adrenaline Point generation for Bear etc).

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

@ojmstr: Bear is not better than Cat, all 3 of the school sets are just as good as the other. They are just for different playstyles. Griffin is more of a spellcaster set. Cat is more of a berzerker/melee dps set. Bear is more of a tank set.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ojmstr

@RossRichard: @elmdreamer: Thanks alot for info guys. im gonna go for Cat gear, fits my style the best probably as im building a combat, fast attack/marksmanship build. Im only going for red mutagens as well i guess? I have two of them now, one Nekker warrior mutagen and one Warewolf mutagen.

MiguelNoche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MiguelNoche
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts

Seems like my gear is always better than any set of the Witcher gear.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5ce97e3367e28

@ojmstr: Yeah you'll only need Red Mutagens if you're going full combat. In my personal opinion a combat build (focusing on Fast Attack mostly) is the best for the first play through. You might also want to consider the combat skill Fleet Footed (I think that's its name), which reduces damage taken whilst dodging.

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

Great tips!

Though I would change the Quen ability with the firestream one. Works on almost every enemy. Add to that, not making use of parrying and counterattack can be disastrous.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

What's up with weapon value in this? I'll get a Witcher sword, upgrade it, place runes in it, then find a blade in the field with lesser stats and no stones that is worth more. Are relics and master items better than Witcher gear? I'd think Witcher would be top tier in cost compared.

MiguelNoche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MiguelNoche
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts

@MirkoS77: I don't get it either. The gear I locate always seems to better than any set - and no set bonus? I just keep equipping what I find.

djb1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 djb1203
Member since 2004 • 38 Posts

think i disagree with most of that lol. my advice to a mate that recently started witcher was to not bother with crafting at all. complete waste of time. i find so many decent weapons and armor every 5 to 10 minutes its uneccessary to waste time finding components and crafting my own.

i also recommended not bothering with alchemy. ive put no points into that section at all. ive been playing for weeks and rarely ever needed a potion or oil. ive only really used them where it was a required part of the quest. other than that ive not bothered.

i agree about grabbing the saddle bags. upgrade them as soon as possible. and the bank is handy too.

The Quen sign is actually the main sign ive invested in. the alternate mode creates an active shield that restores health when hit. so when your health is getting low, fire up the shield, take a few hits and youre back at full health. no need for potions or food.

one thing id recommend is popping a few points into Axii early on so that the extra dialogue options appear.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ojmstr

@elmdreamer: Aha, again thanks for tips!:)

Quaker-w00ts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Quaker-w00ts
Member since 2009 • 1646 Posts

I like the list. I never once thought to invest in Quen and I'm actually playing on hard.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5ce97e3367e28

@djb1203: Potions, Oils and the like are essential on the hardest difficulty (Death March). I can't find the link now but one of the developers recently stated that gear, specifically Witcher Gear, is of the utmost importance if you play the game on its hardest. They outrank any and every sword/armour piece of the same level. If you play on 'Just the Story!' or 'Sword and Story!' (default difficulty) you don't even need to spend your ability points - you can just spam Fast Attack and dodge once in a while. The game is very much geared towards making use of crafting.