40 years old and gaming strong

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

Should I feel like there is something wrong with what i'm doing? There is this stigma with gaming where most people my age don't understand it. Thing is ii've been successful. went to college. GF. Good job. Was planning te done with video games in my early 30's. But just started playing games again. What else would i be doing honestly? Isn't life supposed to be fun vs trying to fit into some status quo? If i enjoy playing games i should play them? I'm starting to feel that way. I'm really excited for this gen got a ps4 there are abotu 10 games iw ant this year. lol.

Should if eel like there is something wrong with me and i should be achieving something else? I've been there done that.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

That's silly. I'm in my 40s. And I'll stop playing video games when they pry the controller from my cold dead hands.

It's a good hobby. It's interactive art, it keeps your mind sharp by practicing problem solving skills, keeps your hand eye coordination strong. And it is way more exciting than a round of golf. ;)

LeftClick007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 LeftClick007
Member since 2013 • 77 Posts

Do what makes you happy, if you dont want to pursue a traditional lifestyle thats up to you. And no theres nothing wrong with you for enjoying your hobby.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Celtic_34

I was raised like games were a waste of time but yet my father is the one who got me into games with the commodore 64 when I was a kid. Been gaming my entire life pretty much although had years where I didn't play much. Thing is I've done the whole relationships stuff and working my way up the corporate ladder. I'm trying to think of other hobbies I should be doing. People in my family travel and do all sorts of stuff. I am more excited about what's coming out for the ps4 lol. I just part of me doesn't think it's overly productive. But some of these games these days are really fun.

I get on psn kick the crap out of kids playing nba 2k and killzone. Watch them quit. I'm really good at these games too.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

How old you are is irrelevant... I'll keep playing games until I stop enjoying it. Whether that's when I'm 80 or tomorrow, who cares.

Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

That's silly. I'm in my 40s. And I'll stop playing video games when they pry the controller from my cold dead hands.

It's a good hobby. It's interactive art, it keeps your mind sharp by practicing problem solving skills, keeps your hand eye coordination strong. And it is way more exciting than a round of golf. ;)

LOL ... agreed! I'm also in my 40's and love love love gaming. My husband plays occasionally but I'm the gamer in the family. Life is good. I will never stop playing. Too much fun and games now a days are crazy cool with so much to offer in terms of story line, graphics, and lets not forget gunfire & explosions! ;)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

Should I feel like there is something wrong with what i'm doing? There is this stigma with gaming where most people my age don't understand it. Thing is ii've been successful. went to college. Had a gf. Good job. Was planning to have a family, and be done with video games in my early 30's. But went through a break up and just started playing games again. What else would i be doing honestly? Isn't life supposed to be fun vs trying to fit into some status quo? If i enjoy playing games i should play them? I'm starting to feel that way. I'm really excited for this gen got a ps4 there are abotu 10 games iw ant this year. lol.

Should if eel like there is something wrong with me and i should be achieving something else? I've been there done that.

Why should you feel like there is something strange about playing games? do you feel strange about reading a book or watching a tv-show or going to the movies.

If you are in your 40´s you are the first gen who grew up with videogames even tho they were in arcades and were pretty much pong-style, but you grew up with them so i would say its pretty normal to still be playing today, as normal as it is watching a movie or TV or reading a book.

But in the end Its all about entertainment so why not use the sources you have available.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

I'm 49 and I still game fairly regularly as do friends of mine both younger and older. I would assume that anybody that oddly looks down on anyone for gaming (odd as it's a very common interest these days) are simply people who never really got into gaming regularly. No doubt it's the same way I look at people getting all excited about the highs and lows of various sports teams an almost alien thing.

touchscreenpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 touchscreenpad
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

Nothing wrong with that as long as you enjoy playing video games.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

if playing games makes you happy, do it.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3217 Posts

Who cares what age you are. Gamers can be any age. I know people in their 30's, 40's, and 50's who play games and they will never stop. And I myself will only stop playing games when I die. Games are not just for kids, they are for everyone. It would be like saying that only young people can watch films.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I propose a toast to OP. May he live to be 120 and game to the very end.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'll never stop gaming, just as I'll never stop enjoying movies, reading books, listening to music, or appreciating art.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm 42 and I'm still going strong.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#17 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Celtic_34: Keep on gaming if you enjoy it!

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Oh jesus.....this is old thread "Im old should I be ashamed because I play games blah blah blah" again.

Get over yourself. If you like games then play them, if you don't then don't. It really is that easy. But lets be honest, you wanted some attention and paid special attention to by a bunch of strange guys on a internet forum because you thought youd get a lot of responses praising you because you think youre older than most of the other users.

My neighbor and a good friend of 20 years played battlefield 4 last night with me and we talked on mumble while he flew the choppers and I gunned for him. He is 67, so I laugh at your "Im 40 and I play games". Im 38 so I just don't care. You don't deserve special attention for playing games despite your age.

And really now? Why the hell is this in system wars? Or that's right......this part has a lot of traffic so you were hoping more people would see it and cheer you on for being an old man gamer.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Celtic_34

That's how i feel. I just see games as another form of entertainment. I don't watch a ton of tv so games are my entertainment that way. i wish i was younger in ways and was ahead of my time lol. Still people who game in my age group but i was one of the few people in my high school who was really into gaming at the time. It wasn't really mainstream like it is now.

Avatar image for klonoafanboy122
klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 klonoafanboy122
Member since 2013 • 232 Posts

^^ good for you keep on gaming my friend ^^

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts
@Gargus said:

Oh jesus.....this is old thread "Im old should I be ashamed because I play games blah blah blah" again.

Get over yourself. If you like games then play them, if you don't then don't. It really is that easy. But lets be honest, you wanted some attention and paid special attention to by a bunch of strange guys on a internet forum because you thought youd get a lot of responses praising you because you think youre older than most of the other users.

My neighbor and a good friend of 20 years played battlefield 4 last night with me and we talked on mumble while he flew the choppers and I gunned for him. He is 67, so I laugh at your "Im 40 and I play games". Im 38 so I just don't care. You don't deserve special attention for playing games despite your age.

And really now? Why the hell is this in system wars? Or that's right......this part has a lot of traffic so you were hoping more people would see it and cheer you on for being an old man gamer.

Do you need a hug?

CarcassPlays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CarcassPlays
Member since 2013 • 74 Posts

Well, no, nothing is wrong with that. I may be young now, but hell with that. I'll play video games till I'm 80. Which is close to 60 years from now. You can take out your anger in the games, that's what I do. I use video games as a way out of the real world, this society. Books worked for me for a while, but gaming gives you a larger imaginative structure in each game, depending on the certain gaming genre. You get to chose how you want certain stories to go and some stories have multiple endings so you can end the game how you see it ending, the best way. It's completely normal.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

Men have hobbies. Thats what we do in our free time. For some guys it's golf, hunting, sports, fishing, comics, movies, etc. For our generation the main hobby of choice is gaming.

Don't worry about what women think about your hobbies because women have always complained about their man's hobby because they would prefer all your free time to be spent with them.

And don't worry about the opinion of older people cause older generations are usually out of touch with the latest forms of technology. So their opinion is biased.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#24 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@carcassplays said:

Well, no, nothing is wrong with that. I may be young now, but hell with that. I'll play video games till I'm 80. Which is close to 60 years from now. You can take out your anger in the games, that's what I do. I use video games as a way out of the real world, this society. Books worked for me for a while, but gaming gives you a larger imaginative structure in each game, depending on the certain gaming genre. You get to chose how you want certain stories to go and some stories have multiple endings so you can end the game how you see it ending, the best way. It's completely normal.

You make a good point. I wish I'd thought to bring that up earlier.

I've read a study that says Catharsis isn't as useful as people once thought it was. But I say bollocks to that. When I was getting divorced oh so long ago, I played fighting games as a way to vent frustration. I've never, in nearly 42 years on this planet, picked a fight with anyone. I've never raised my fists in anger or willfully brought physical harm to another person. But that doesn't mean I never thought about it. Games have always served as a good outlet for aggressive feelings for me in those situations. That may not apply to everyone, but it's done wonders for me. Tekken was my angry game of choice around that time. And luckily there was a character in that game who shared my name (Paul).

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Like the old saying goes. "Age ain't nothing but a number". It's all about maturity. Nothing wrong with gaming at any age as long as it doesn't interfere with your day to day priorities. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Plus, depending on your preference, gaming can offer more reflective analysis than books, movies or crap reality tv.