2D fighters or 3D fighters?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Enfamous_Mr_BHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

After getting my ass beat in Ultra Street Fighter IV, I have come to the conclusion that I am not built for 2D fighters. I put in the work and try, but something doesn't click with that realm of fighters. I am very good at Tekken, Virtual Fighter and Soul Calibur (I'm ok at DOA). I use to be really good at the 2D fighters as a kid but now that I am older and fought a bit in amateur MMA I can apply a bit of that logic to the 3D fighters easier then 2D.

Also in 2D fighters, there less defensive options and moments of escape so it feels like sometimes the best defense is the best offense and the best defense you can do on that realm of fighting is be the ultra counter puncher. In a game like Street Fighter it seems like if you can perfect one combo you are golden as long as you know the frame data, timing and specific character ranges. In a game like VF or Tekken I feel like their are a lot of BnB moves for every character but with the long move list you can always surprise someone if you have a good memory and recognition.

The essence of fighting is read and react, but 2D fighters it's basically blocking so you can do something, or else the mix ups, chip damage, priority and frames will get you. In 3D fighters it's based off know how, range and mixing up your combos.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I empaphize with that.... DoA and VF5 are just better at defensive play, which makes them better games overall.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#3 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Most of 2D fighters I played against other people always end up with someone playing defensively/turtleing, which isn't very interesting. Then again, I haven't really played them for very long, except for UMK3
So yeah, I prefer 3D

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Omega-316
Member since 2011 • 981 Posts

Yup I also like the realism that comes with 3D fighting games.

JunestChick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 JunestChick
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I prefer 2D game for mobile, Shadow figher is the best :3

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

I enjoy them both and don't have any difficulties playing either but my preference is 2D.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Hizang
Member since 2009 • 2808 Posts

Any fighting game that has a step to the side move is not a game I want to play.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Hizang

FOR SHAME ! ! ! :(

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Virtua Fighter 5 is probably the best fighter on the market. Street Fighter has lost it a bit. King of Fighters is underrated as well.