20 years later, console controllers are finally getting annoying,

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kocelot (816 posts) -

Both the PS3 and xbox 360 controllers are very annoying to use, for me at least.

I don't know if its just me, but I m starting to HATE FPS games on consoles.

the analog sticks are all the way down there and I have to flex and stretch my thumb whilst trying to aim with it.

The reload button is usually on the Square and X buttons, which makes it time consuming( a split second is a lot on fps multiplayer), to reload the weapon.

I'd rather have they sell a separate controller for FPS at least with both sticks on top in place of the face buttons and dpad(ps3).
its just much less stressful to play.

Atm, i have BLOPS 2 rented on the 360 instead of the ps3 simply b/c the 360 controller is slightly more comfortable.
ANyone else?

EDIT: to be a bit more specific, I will clarify.

ps3's analog sticks are both high up and this causes the thumbs to slide on and off.

360's controller is comfortable at first, but when you really get into the game, it stresses the hand (for me at least).

As someone posted here, I would love to see the Wii U's controller layout(even if its 3rd party) for the 360 and ps3.

Yes, I could switch to PC at any m,oment,m but I've already got a lot of console games that I can't just transfer over.

#2 Posted by wiouds (5346 posts) -

I hate the mouse and keyboard for FPS.

#3 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

Just play with the Wiimote for a few weeks. You'll gain a bit of perspective on what constitutes annoying. :P

I agree with you that the Dual Shock is not particularly well-suited to FPS games, but as an overall controller it is functional and proficient, and the 360's controller is quite possibly the best controller ever made for consoles, outside of the fvcking hideous d-pad.

#4 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

Been playing Playstation since I was 3 and I've never had a problem with the controller. I tend to be ok with Nintendo controllers too. But I dislike Xbox's controller.

#5 Posted by c_rakestraw (14762 posts) -

I'd rather have they sell a separate controller for FPS at least with both sticks on top in place of the face buttons and dpad(ps3).
its just much less stressful to play.Kocelot

Like this?

Wii U Pro controller

#6 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2403 posts) -

IDK what the big deal is with the PS3 controller and FPS games. I have both PS3 and 360 and have not had any issues playing FPS games with either of the controllers. I'm more used to the PS3 one since I've always had the Sony systems before getting any of the other new ones, but having a 360 for a little less than a month now, I don't see how either controllers are difficult to use in any way.

But whatever, to each their own, there's still the PC option (which I'm not that into, but it probably isn't that hard to adjust to).

#7 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

Current gen controllers are good, lol. I just prefer FPS games on Mouse and Keyboard, way faster, more precise and less clunky. much better IMO.

#8 Posted by Kocelot (816 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kocelot"]I'd rather have they sell a separate controller for FPS at least with both sticks on top in place of the face buttons and dpad(ps3).
its just much less stressful to play.c_rake

Like this?

Wii U Pro controller

OH BABY. YES.
#9 Posted by Kocelot (816 posts) -

IDK what the big deal is with the PS3 controller and FPS games. I have both PS3 and 360 and have not had any issues playing FPS games with either of the controllers. I'm more used to the PS3 one since I've always had the Sony systems before getting any of the other new ones, but having a 360 for a little less than a month now, I don't see how either controllers are difficult to use in any way.

But whatever, to each their own, there's still the PC option (which I'm not that into, but it probably isn't that hard to adjust to).

blueboxdoctor
PS3 controller's analog sticks are both really high up. its not noticeable visibly, but when you try to play with it for more, youll notice youll have so stretch and it over-flexes your thumbs to an uncomfortable position.
#10 Posted by Ballroompirate (23478 posts) -

Sony actually does controllers very well, Nintendo dropped the ball recently with Wii,GC and N64 while they did a pretty awesome job with snes. Microsoft can't really grab their head around "bulky controllers = crappy". Also I hate KB/mouse, it just feels crappy after a few hours of gaming though it does have it's ups and downs for games that work well with a KB/mouse.

#11 Posted by GhoX (5172 posts) -
Controllers have always sucked for FPS ever since FPS was first ported onto consoles. I only use controllers for action and RPG games. Sadly the X button tends to die early.
#12 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Will people ever stop b*tching about console controllers? Honestly, if it bothers you so much stick to the PC. I personally love the 360's controller and find it vastly more comfortable to play with than keyboard/mouse.

#13 Posted by PetJel (3724 posts) -

I prefer the sticks that low. Having the sticks up would make you have to stretch your thumb just to reach it :S It would really make your thumb sore after a few hours I think.

#14 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

Both the PS3 and xbox 360 controllers are very annoying to use, for me at least.

I don't know if its just me, but I m starting to HATE FPS games on consoles.

the analog sticks are all the way down there and I have to flex and stretch my thumb whilst trying to aim with it.

The reload button is usually on the Square and X buttons, which makes it time consuming( a split second is a lot on fps multiplayer), to reload the weapon.

its just much less stressful to play.

Atm, i have BLOPS 2 rented on the 360 instead of the ps3 simply b/c the 360 controller is slightly more comfortable.
ANyone else?

Kocelot

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer the Xbox 360 and PS 3 controllers to the alternatives, especially motion controllers, which I loathe.

The biggest problem for me is switching back and forth between the consoles. I usually have a game in progress on both and switch between them when I need a break from whichever I'm currently playing. The Xbox 360 and PS 3 controllers have different dimensions, thus don't have the same feel when held, and button mapping between Xbox games and PS 3 games is not consistent, which leads to unfortunate mistakes (like pressing the R2 button to fire a weapon on the PS 3 rather than the R1 button after switching from the Xbox).

There are a number of third-party controllers and controller add-ons that are designed for FPS on consoles.

#15 Posted by hippiesanta (9947 posts) -
38 years later .... I love console controllers and enjoying TPS games ..... life is great
#16 Posted by thetravman (3543 posts) -

-I hate Sony's analog sticks. My thumb always seem to slip off of it and pushing R3 unintentionally happens often enough to be a hassle. The D-pad is the best of its kind though. Ps2, same story.

-I hate the Xbox 360's D-pad. Horrendous with fighting games. Xbox original was no better with its tumour controllers.

-The Wiimote setup is comfortable but doesn't work with many types of games, and the classic controller's analog sticks feel too tight.

-I haven't played too much of PC, but brief instances I did play I despise using a keyboard. My position on the keyboard can easily change and I'd be pushing the wrong buttons. The mouse is precise though.

-What is the bloody deal with GC's C-stick and dwarf D-pad? At least the controller was colourful and had an appealing design. Shoulder buttons also felt satisfying.

-I actually like the N64 controller since I found a more comfortable way to use it. The analog stick sucks though but I can't blame it too much since the controller was one of the first to implement a stick.

-Super Nintendo...perfect but too simple.

-NES, perfect for its time.

-3rd party controllers...burn them all.

That's all the consoles I've played enough to have a valid opinion.

#17 Posted by Teuf_ (30805 posts) -

blueboxdoctor

Yeah I never really got what the big deal is either. Some people get really intense when it comes to those analog sticks.

#18 Posted by lloveLamp (2890 posts) -
i think both controllers are pretty good.
#19 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

wiouds

Have you given it a fair shake? I hated it and PC years ago. Said "how is this gaming? This was not meant for gaming!"

Boy did I eat my words. KB/M is unparalleled for FPS gaming.

#20 Posted by wiouds (5346 posts) -

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

NaveedLife

Have you given it a fair shake? I hated it and PC years ago. Said "how is this gaming? This was not meant for gaming!"

Boy did I eat my words. KB/M is unparalleled for FPS gaming.

I was a PC gamer and skip Snes. I still play FPS on it and I stll hate the mouse and keyboard for FPS.

#21 Posted by Kocelot (816 posts) -

Will people ever stop b*tching about console controllers? Honestly, if it bothers you so much stick to the PC. I personally love the 360's controller and find it vastly more comfortable to play with than keyboard/mouse.

Vari3ty
I'm 'b*tching" b/c i have a ton of games on my ps3 and 360 that I can't actually transfer over to my PC, ya know? Im thinking of alternatives at the moment.
#22 Posted by sukraj (23481 posts) -

I like the 360 controller especially when i play fps.

#23 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23717 posts) -

For fps? Obv mouse and keyboard is better, I even have a video about thathttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF5hqdc510g

If you just want to casually play halo, then they're both fine. OFC anyone who is very good at mouse and keyboard should be able to transition to consoles and still dominate console players. It's not the controls, it's the hand eye coordination of the player in all tasks.

I don't mind using controllers though, great for platformers, etc.

#24 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

My god no, the thought that they're not innovative enough anymore has brought us stuff like the Wiimote, Playstation Move and Kinect >_>

The Controller Basic Design of the SNES is STILL in use today on most consoles / USB Gamepads for a good reason: It works, since over 20 years!

#25 Posted by Vickman178 (1035 posts) -

The PS3 controller isn't that bad for FPS games...Just finished playing Borderlands 2 on the system awhile back and had a pretty good time with it. I kind of also prefer how the sticks aren't concave, it feels more natural.

360 controller is still very good though aside with the D-Pad and I don't care too much abou those digital bumpers either.

#26 Posted by danielfadel (9 posts) -
I love it, and for me it is annoyin gto use the computer with gaming, lmao.
#27 Posted by Sali217 (1274 posts) -
Use the Move it's awesome!