1up played the full version of FFVII Crisis Core...here are some impressions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Some tidbits to those who are interested:

• Crisis Core is a prequel to Final Fantasy VII that examines the story of Soldier Second ****Zack in his quest to ascend the ranks of the Shinra Corporation's elite Soldier unit and become a hero.
  • The game unfolds as an action RPG divided neatly into missions accessible from hub locations.
  • In-game cut-scenes -- many of which are expertly voiced -- and eye-popping Advent Children-****videos convey story elements.
  • Missions involve a number of randomly occurring real-time battles and a few scripted ones punctuated by story elements.
  • In battle, the Circle button handles actions like attacking, while you can use the L and R shoulder buttons to select magical abilities and items. (Like in FFVII, spells, which you enable by equipping materia, consume MP.)
  • the battle system seems to be the Digital Mind Wave or D.M.W. system that fires off a slot machine of numbers and character portraits based on Zack's SP (soldier points), AP, HP, and MP. A trio of matching portraits triggers limit breaks, pre-rendered video summons attacks, and other offensive abilities. The number combinations can cause Zack to level up, receive stat bonuses or increase the power of collected materia. As if this system weren't confusing enough, Zack sees visions when the slots start, hinting at a deeper, unexplained significance behind the DMW system. (wierd...don't like this)
  • Given Crisis Core's sharp graphics, mood-evoking music, and amazing cut-scenes, the game's load times are remarkably brief.
  • The adventure looks to be lengthy and filled with optional side-quests, items, and materia. However, the essence of the game boils down to a nearly impenetrable FFVII-esque story with loads of atmosphere and an unusual button-mashing battle system.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3164589

Even though it gets bad reviews, it looks like it's worth getting. PSP needs games like these so I'll get it no matter what...I hope it's not $49.99 though. :(

SDog624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SDog624
Member since 2003 • 2032 Posts
cant we just get a ps3 remake already? although i'm still playing the original one on the ps1 for the first time. no spoilers please! this game is awesome.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Wow! You haven't played it before?

Enjoy the game. But watch out for FFVII threads. They don't bother putting spoiler warnings so be careful.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
I am unwilling to slog through bad gameplay to experience an interesting story, so I'll pass.