11/5 PS4 Tidbits - NFS at launch. CoD framerate drops

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by CarnageHeart (18315 posts) -

1. Half an hour of Resogun footage. Youtube can't capture the glory, but still worth watching.

2. Ubisoft Montreal talks a bit about what it took to get Child of Light greenlit and why its a good idea for big companies to sometime make small indie type games.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-11-05-ubisoft-montreal-convincing-a-aaa-studio-to-try-indie-games

Plourde also believes projects like Child of Light can be a good tool for large studios to retain top talent. Plourde suggested the studio might have easily lost 10 or 15 developers if it hadn't gone ahead with Child of Light. On top of that, the project has also attracted people from other studios to sign on with Ubisoft Montreal.

"It kind of rejuvenates the idea of Ubisoft Montreal," Plourde said, adding, "Basically, depending on what interests you, there should be something for everybody to say, 'You know what? I can build a career here and stay here.'"

3. There's already a thread about this, but for those that missed it on the 14th there will new game announcements on Spike TV.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/05/youre-invited-experience-ps4s-launch-live-november-14th/

In February, we announced PS4. In June, we showed it for the first time. Next week, on November 15th, we unlock a new generation of play in North America.

Join PlayStation and Spike TV for the live PS4 All Access: Greatness Awaits launch event! We’ll be live in New York City on November 14th starting at 11:00pm. Tune in to see exclusive world premieres and announcements about the PS4 games that will define 2014 and beyond. Watch live on Spike TV, Ustream, or right here on PlayStation.Blog. And why not RSVP, so you don’t forget?

4. Blockbuster is bankrupt and they are trying to hand out movies to people who preordered PS4s there unless they go to the main office. One man refused to that and picketed outside of a local store with a loudspeaker until they gave him his money. Power to the player! Henceforth 2013 will be known as the year of players not taking shit.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-04-blockbuster-store-refunds-ps4-pre-order-after-megaphone-protest

5. EA Sports confirms that UFC runs at 1080p and 30 FPS on the PS4 and Xbone.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/05/ea-sports-ufc-is-1080p-and-30fps-on-ps4-and-xbox-one

6. When FTP War Thunder arrives, due to crossplay with the PC there will be 5 million veterans eager to murder us.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/11/war-thunder-ready-for-ps4-pc-cross-play-with-5-million-players-online/

7. Here is a side by side comparison of the PS3 and PS4 versions of CoD (the journalist mentions that PS4 Xbone video comparisons are forbidden).

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/11/what_are_the_main_differences_between_call_of_duty_ghosts_on_ps4_and_ps3

8. Sony has just released four new trailers which showcase PS4 features and developers singing the praises of the hardware (however much Sony agreed to pay Cerny, they ought to double it). The video below details remote play.

http://kotaku.com/four-new-ps4-commercials-hype-up-next-weeks-launch-1458873958

9. Nice trailer for Metal Slugesque indie game Mercenary Kings (which hits this winter). Details at the link.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/11/new-mercenary-kings-trailer-by-iam8bit-subtly-informs/

10. Feeling the pain of Playstation racing fans, EA has announced NFS Rivals as a PS4 launch game.

11. Yoshida has confirmed that there are three ways to connect a PSV and a PS4.

http://www.psu.com/a021542/PS4-Remote-Play-can-be-used-locally-without-WiFi-connection-confirm-Sony

Gamers were keen to have some points from the FAQ cleared up, and Yoshida-san was firstly asked, " If my internet connection is down, but my router is still up and both PS4 and Vita are connected, can I still use Remote Play? "

He replied, "Once you had registered them, yes. And even if the router is down, too." Yoshida-san then confirmed gamers will have a connection choice too adding, " you can choose the best connection. "

Next a curious Tweeter asked, "So there is a direct connect to the system ala remote play on the ps3? Neat." Yoshida-san then replied, "yes, you can choose."

It seems the executive is now stating there are three ways a PS4 and Vita can connect: directly when near a PS4 console, then via a local Wi-Fi network, and finally public Wi-Fi.

#2 Posted by CarnageHeart (18315 posts) -

Forbes is reporting that that the PS4 version of CoD suffers from some nasty slowdown in busy spots and doesn't run as well the last gen versions (the Xbone version is in reviewer's hands, but embargoed until the 12th).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/11/05/reviewers-are-reporting-frame-rate-problems-with-call-of-duty-ghosts-on-ps4/

Polygon: ”Much has been said about the fact that the PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at a native 1080p, and while that may be true, the game did struggle to maintain a steady frame rate, especially in hectic multiplayer matches. The PS3 version of the game ran into similar problems, whereas the Xbox 360 version maintained a steady 60 frames per second.”

#3 Posted by AzelKosMos (34194 posts) -

Child of Light is hugely on my radar. Love small games like that.

#4 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

RESOGUN.

RES

O

GUN!!!

#5 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Is it weird that I'm picking up 4 retail games along with my PS4 but the first game I'll be playing is Resogun?

#6 Edited by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

Is it weird that I'm picking up 4 retail games along with my PS4 but the first game I'll be playing is Resogun?

Not at all. I'm going to spend the majority of my time around launch with it. Looks like a cross between Defender and Geometry Wars. Can't wait.

#7 Posted by jukev2424 (242 posts) -
#8 Edited by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -
#9 Edited by CarnageHeart (18315 posts) -

More Mercenary Kings details.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/05/mercenary-kings-update-coming-this-winter-to-ps4/

You could enhance your weapon’s magazine capacity, or forge an elemental blade that can freeze your enemy. Make your mercenary invulnerable to the enemy’s toxic weapons, or use an ingredient you’ve found to boost your mission skills. It’s a pretty comprehensive customization system that should appeal to the RPG fan in you.

Will you sacrifice accuracy for damage, or craft a smaller blade to be lighter on your feet? Or will you just build a weird, toilet-shaped rifle? (There’s also a cat-cannon and a fish-shaped knife!) A quick tap of R1 helps you reload faster than ever, while pressing L1 gives you access to Shock Bombs, Riot Shields, or deadly C4.

What we’re really excited about, though, is the co-op multiplayer in Mercenary Kings. Developing the game knowing it’s heading straight to a powerful, multiplayer platform like PS4 is, well — pretty amazing! Fueled by great memories of blasting down alien monsters with a friend in oldie classics, we want to recreate that type of fun on a modern console.

#10 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39 said:

Not at all. I'm going to spend the majority of my time around launch with it. Looks like a cross between Defender and Geometry Wars. Can't wait.

Yeah, not really weird at all. I did the same thing with Super Stardust for my Vita and Geometry Wars and Hexic on the 360. Fun games is fun games. That's really the only thing that should matter. :)

#11 Posted by CarnageHeart (18315 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39 said:

I love Housemarque's shooters, though the only one I managed to clear was Dead Nation.

I'm sure I'm going to put serious time into Resogun. When I was a kid my brother and I would marathon on Defender on the 2600.

#12 Posted by jukev2424 (242 posts) -
#13 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

@Shame-usBlackley said:

@IndianaPwns39 said:

I love Housemarque's shooters, though the only one I managed to clear was Dead Nation.

I'm sure I'm going to put serious time into Resogun. When I was a kid my brother and I would marathon on Defender on the 2600.

Yeah, Super Stardust was the first game of theirs I played, and even though it came out post-Geometry Wars, it was still frigging amazing. I still need to check out Dead Nation one of these days.

Defender was the first home console game I owned... good times.

#14 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -
#15 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39 said:

Geometry Wars was great fun, good times.

I just get a kick out of it. $400 for the console, near $200 in games, but as soon as I get home I'll be playing the one that's free. It looks so freaking good. Super Stardust and Dead Nation were amazing, so I have high hopes for this.

Watching the IGN live stream of this I have a feeling this is going to be a lot like Pac Man Championship Edition DX with me, in which I just won't stop playing it all gen.

#16 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

@Shame-usBlackley said:

@IndianaPwns39 said:

I just get a kick out of it. $400 for the console, near $200 in games, but as soon as I get home I'll be playing the one that's free. It looks so freaking good. Super Stardust and Dead Nation were amazing, so I have high hopes for this.

Watching the IGN live stream of this I have a feeling this is going to be a lot like Pac Man Championship Edition DX with me, in which I just won't stop playing it all gen.

I totally loved Pac Man DX... I played the hell out of that game. I also wanted to get into Galaga Legions, but the time was never right.

#17 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39 said:

@Shame-usBlackley said:

@IndianaPwns39 said:

I totally loved Pac Man DX... I played the hell out of that game. I also wanted to get into Galaga Legions, but the time was never right.

Galaga Legions was free on PS+ recently (it might still be, not sure) and I played it a little bit. Definitely a fun game with addictive properties like all the other things mentioned in this thread.

Unfortunately, it was free right when Pac Man got some DLC (which no one really talks about) so I went right back to the Pac :P

#19 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Carnage you finished Dead Nation? wow, much respect. It's one of the hardest game I've played.

#20 Edited by experience_fade (250 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

Carnage you finished Dead Nation? wow, much respect. It's one of the hardest game I've played.

I agree, Dead Nation was a difficult game. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

#21 Edited by c_rakestraw (14534 posts) -

@Areez: Cool it with the "stooges" comments and such, please. The last thing I want to see is another fight breaking out because one of you can't keep the passive-aggression in check.

@Shame-usBlackley said:

Galaga Legions was free on PS+ recently (it might still be, not sure) and I played it a little bit. Definitely a fun game with addictive properties like all the other things mentioned in this thread.

Unfortunately, it was free right when Pac Man got some DLC (which no one really talks about) so I went right back to the Pac :P

Yeah, I have it downloaded. Still need to give it a spin. Looks cool. Doubt it'll be as great as Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, but then, that's a hard act to follow. Really need to get around to picking up that DLC on PS3. Would love to have an excuse to get back into Pac-Man.

#22 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39 said:
@Shame-usBlackley said:

Yeah, I have it downloaded. Still need to give it a spin. Looks cool. Doubt it'll be as great as Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, but then, that's a hard act to follow. Really need to get around to picking up that DLC on PS3. Would love to have an excuse to get back into Pac-Man.

It's a great excuse. The maps are surprisingly solid and feel right at home with the main game. I was a big fan of Highway II and getting the pattern down was a constant point fest that reminded me why that game was so damned addicting in the first place.

I was in the top 10 on the leaderboards for that stage, though at the time there were only 250 registered players so it wasn't a huge accomplishment :P

#23 Posted by SolidIngram (49 posts) -

The remote play via public WiFi sounds pretty cool. About the Ghosts frame rate drop on PS3 and PS4,have been playing online on the PS3 and have not had any issues whatsoever. The frame rate hasn't dropped below 60fps even in very hectic firefights so I'm not really sure what they are talking about.

#24 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

lol. The $900 Nvidia Titan (or Titans in TotalBiscuit's case) are dropping frames in Ghosts.The game is a mess even on SLI setups. look at the framerate drop in this gif for no apparent reason.

#25 Edited by CarnageHeart (18315 posts) -

@S0lidSnake:

Like I noted before, Infinity Ward got its guts ripped out after Activision ousted the founders (though it seems to have been a preemptive strike) and now they are trying to make a game for every platform known to man, so I'm not surprised that CoD is a mess.

Be interesting to see if the new management can make fans happy. Bungie (well, most of it, including the senior part) leaving Halo didn't hurt Halo 4's sales out of the gate, but Halo 4's online legs have been very, very short. Will the same happen with Ghosts?

Below is some stuff clipped from a fascinting Neogaf post about Halo's decline under 343.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697

* Roughly a year after release, Halo 3 had a 1.1 million peak population day. Reach had a 900,000 peak population day after the same amount of time. Halo 4 clocks in at 20,000 peak for it's annual checkup.

#26 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@CarnageHeart: While I understand that making games for six different platforms is a daunting challenge, I wont attribute it to just IW losing talent to Respawn. Let's not forget that Respawn's TitanFall is also rumored to be running at 720p on the X1. If all the talented guys are there then why is that cross gen looking game running on the Source engine 720p? I recently played Bioshock and DmC on my PC at 1080p 60fps at high settings that blow away what I've seen of Titan Fall. And I played Titan Fall on PCs where it was running at 1080p.

Also, MW3 was IW's first game after the Respawn split in 2010. This is their second game, and it's almost like they arent even trying anymore.

I had no idea Halo 4 was that hated by its fans. I too read that thread and was shocked to hear that they introduced perks and other stuff to lure in CoD fans. WTF were they thinking. So that's Uncharted 3, Uncharted 2, KZ3 and now Halo 4 all ruined thanks to devs trying to ape CoD. Good job idiots.