10 years on Gamespot and the future

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I've seen a lot of staff and fellow users come and go. But i have lingered on this site. I've been trying to make the places i have posted in a great place to be in. Even though people i have liked have left, i've still met some great people. I've been gaming now for 20+ years and i am happy to be a gamer, now more than ever. To have this easy access to talk and share ideas is awesome.

My first gaming console was the original Gameboy and never got to play the original NES. But i eventually got the SNES where i played Yosh's Island, International Super Star Soccer Deluxe and Bubsy. I then saved up money with my brother in a piggie bank and bought the N64. I got Super Mario with it. I remember my amazment just going around jumping and climbing trees in 3D. I eventually got Mario 64, which is still my favorite Mario Kart. I then eventually saved up PS2 by myself for two years and found my favorite game(with Mass Effect 2) in Final Fantasy X. I also finally got a dvd player where i could play all my dvd's that i got. I later got Dragonball Z Budoka 2 & 3, Battlefront and other awesome games. I got late into the seventh gen. I got the 360 in 2008, where i've had a lot of games. In 2012 i finally got the PS3, it took me that long because of the PS3 did cost 1000$ when it was released. And it's been my main platform since. I also bought a PS4 where i've had a blast, but still waiting for the games to come out for it.

I've also gotten a Gameboy Advanced, 3DS and Vita. But they haven't been my main platforms of gaming.

Now that i think back on all that and now to the future. I still think that we will have consoles in the future. I still think there will be one after this. It was the same discussion last generation where everyone called consoles dead before the new generation was launched. I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon. I think they will become more open to so called gimmicks or additional hardware. I still think that games will come to consoles because we like having that type of experience. The PC will always be there, it's always going to be a choice. The consoles however are something special to me, even though that i have gone back forth from consoles and pc from time to time for various reasons.

What do you guys see in the gaming future after this generation?

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@The_Last_Ride:

Gaming tablets. Kind of like the wii u controller but the hardware will be shoved into it. So it will be a hybrid home console and portable system. It will sync with a tv to project an image, if not you can play it straight off the tablet. Additional less expensive and less sophisticated controllers can sync to your tablet for local multiplayer.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#2  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I'm seeing a much heavier focus with online co-op based games, which is interesting to see.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Last_Ride

@mastermetal777 said:

I'm seeing a much heavier focus with online co-op based games, which is interesting to see.

in what way do you reckon?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mastermetal777

Look at Destiny, Evolve, Assassin's Creed Unity, and The Division. All big AAA titles with a strong co-op mentality. Not to mention the PS4' s new Share Play feature.

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 593

#5  Edited By hxce
Member since 2006 • 2099 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: Well you have stated twice in two threads about your +20 years of gaming, and I just joined the forum again after a couple of years break. Did you miss all the multiplayer emphasis that games had two generations back? 4 player split-screen, 2 Player split-screen. Imo we get less freedom of choice in our modern gaming environment. I remember Time Splitters and Perfect Dark. They had so many multi-player customisation options in your multiplayer setup. Time Splitters even had map editors. We get less, we pay more.

Consoles used to be about playing with your friends on the couch in your room. Sharing the experience. It's becoming more and more like PC. I'm not saying PC is bad. But I played certain games on PC because they did just fit better with mouse and keyboard, but some games was more enjoyable on consoles, especially multiplayer games. I'm looking forward to more co-op as well in the future. Especially Co-op Story.

Sorry if I misinterpret your question to 'mastermetal777' btw. It's very late here :P

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Last_Ride

@hxce said:

@The_Last_Ride: Well you have stated twice in two threads about your +20 years of gaming, and I just joined the forum again after a couple of years break. Did you miss all the multiplayer emphasis that games had two generations back? 4 player split-screen, 2 Player split-screen. Imo we get less freedom of choice in our modern gaming environment. I remember Time Splitters and Perfect Dark. They had so many multi-player customisation options in your multiplayer setup. Time Splitters had map editors. We get less, we pay more.

oh crap, i forgot about that :P

Yeah i agree with the local multiplayer and making games after what we want. I totally agree with that sentiment

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hxce

@The_Last_Ride: Yeah I mean the mainstream states that it's because the games demands more power and its not possible for splitscreens anymore, We still had Gears of War on the unreal engine in the early 360 period. But then it started to fade. I was thinking, were the **** are all the local multiplayer content? It just vanished. But the developers earn more money if everyone pays for online subscription, everyone gets their own console/copy of the game. They are just looking to maximise profit. Which I cant blame them for, humans are just greedy lol. Sad though. I think consoles are more than enough powerful to support local multiplayer even today. We have to remember that consoles back then were not even a fraction as powerful as the hardware we have today.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Well, the current trend in gaming now is co-op and MP, but I see SP making a comeback because of better hardware that will make environments more immersive and I think stories and gameplay will improve.

I also think we will get at least one more generation of consoles before VR goes mainstream.

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hxce

@MarcRecon: Yeah I hope you're right :)

Intresting. Oculus rift seems to get more popular as times passes hehe. Fucking people are spamming it on Let's play already hehe. It's been out for a while though. Can't wait to see how far this VR thing can go. It'll be the end of humanity probably haha.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

Also a 20+ year gamer. Been on gamespot forever, became a member in 2002, but I was coming here before there was membership, although I also took a break for a while. I remember when this place was called "videogames.com" and was an offshoot of EGM. Fun fact, you still get redirected here if you type videogames.com into your search engine. First console was the TI-99/4A. First game was Munch Man (pacman knockoff). Since then I've owned one iteration (usually launch) of every Nintendo home and portable system except the virtual boy. A dreamcast, a TG-16 with CD player, every Sony home system since PS2 and an Atari Lynx, which was a great little handheld. Never had enough money to get a Neo Geo even though I wanted one bad (games were like the cost of a handheld system). Took a long break from PC gaming but Bioshock Infinite got me back on-board. I also enjoy single-player games most, but that's more me changing as a gamer than a hatred of multiplayer. Metroid is my favorite series. I loved the N64 in college because I had a ton of friends to play Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, etc with. Online multiplayer gaming just isn't as much fun for me because I miss being in the same room with people I know sharing some beers.

I'm not certain at all what the future of gaming will be. If I had to guess, it looks like the way of the future will be tablet based games as tablets in the next ten years will have processors capable of producing photo-realistic graphics. There will have to be a new interface that's portable and collapsible because touch controls are very limited. Probably some sort of wearable input device like a series of rings on the fingers or something. Or maybe all tabets will have Tactile User Interface like what Tactus Technology has developed only more advanced and customized for gaming. We just need that physical feel to our controls. All tablet based games will be able to be played at home on the big display. Still skeptical about VR. Seems like every five to ten years we're on the verge of VR gaming becoming mainstream and it never happens. Ten years from now if people are gaming at home they'll most likely still be gaming on a TV. It'll just be an OLED display attached to the wall with touchscreen capability. I could see Sony integrating playstation technology (camera and move) into their TVs as a selling point to those who don't want the clutter of a box underneath. They'll probably still be selling a dualshock in some form or another for us dinosaurs.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@mastermetal777 said:

Look at Destiny, Evolve, Assassin's Creed Unity, and The Division. All big AAA titles with a strong co-op mentality. Not to mention the PS4' s new Share Play feature.

True, but don't you think there will be regular multiplayer and singleplayer`?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mastermetal777

@The_Last_Ride: Oh definitely. Look at most games coming out. They still have traditional singleplayer and multiplayer modes, like The Order: 1886, Batman: Arkham Knight, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, and others. Those modes aren't dead, but even still I can't help but notice that cooperative gameplay is becoming a bigger deal.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@mastermetal777 said:

@The_Last_Ride: Oh definitely. Look at most games coming out. They still have traditional singleplayer and multiplayer modes, like The Order: 1886, Batman: Arkham Knight, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, and others. Those modes aren't dead, but even still I can't help but notice that cooperative gameplay is becoming a bigger deal.

I would agree with that, just look at Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and other games that are usually singleplayer

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

@polishkid99: this is what I see happening as well, or at least what should happen. I expect to see backlash from those used to the 'high end graphics' of traditional game consoles though.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: 30 years into gaming here, you are right, consoles wont go away, we console gamers will allways prefer console gaming over pc. There will be a ps5 and a xbox-two and also a new Nintendo system, the market is getting bigger and bigger as well as new generations are getting into gaming.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

For local multiplayer, you need a Wii U. Mario Kart 8, Nintendoland, Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, and Hyrule Warriors are really fun games that have split screen.

I've been on Gamespot for a loooong time, also since before the memberships.

I started playing on my friends' and relatives' Atari 2600. When I played the NES for the first time, I asked my parents for one but got an Atari 7800 instead. Eventually I got an NES but then discovered the Sega Master System. I preferred that for some time because I felt the quality of the games were better. In the end, of course, the NES won out from the sheer number of games. I also preferred the Turbografx over the Genesis because of R-Type and my amazement that games could be on a card - which I saw as the evolution of the SMS card games.

From the SNES on, I've gotten most of the popular consoles at launch, including the Wii U and PS4. This is the first generation where I will purposely not be buying a console (the X1) due to finally admitting to myself that I simply cannot buy and play every game I have an interest in. I also still enjoy retro gaming.

The future of games? As far as cars have come in technology and features, there's still a gas and brake pedal, and a steering wheel. I think that's how it'll be with gaming. There are fundamentals that work extremely well and may be improved, but will, in general, remain the same. I still see a console and controller as the main devices. Of course, these will evolve, but they will not go away. The console may become a tablet that can plug into a TV. I can see the want for an iOS-like ecosystem where your content is always with you on different devices.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Last_Ride

@silkylove said:

Also a 20+ year gamer. Been on gamespot forever, became a member in 2002, but I was coming here before there was membership, although I also took a break for a while. I remember when this place was called "videogames.com" and was an offshoot of EGM. Fun fact, you still get redirected here if you type videogames.com into your search engine. First console was the TI-99/4A. First game was Munch Man (pacman knockoff). Since then I've owned one iteration (usually launch) of every Nintendo home and portable system except the virtual boy. A dreamcast, a TG-16 with CD player, every Sony home system since PS2 and an Atari Lynx, which was a great little handheld. Never had enough money to get a Neo Geo even though I wanted one bad (games were like the cost of a handheld system). Took a long break from PC gaming but Bioshock Infinite got me back on-board. I also enjoy single-player games most, but that's more me changing as a gamer than a hatred of multiplayer. Metroid is my favorite series. I loved the N64 in college because I had a ton of friends to play Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, etc with. Online multiplayer gaming just isn't as much fun for me because I miss being in the same room with people I know sharing some beers.

I'm not certain at all what the future of gaming will be. If I had to guess, it looks like the way of the future will be tablet based games as tablets in the next ten years will have processors capable of producing photo-realistic graphics. There will have to be a new interface that's portable and collapsible because touch controls are very limited. Probably some sort of wearable input device like a series of rings on the fingers or something. Or maybe all tabets will have Tactile User Interface like what Tactus Technology has developed only more advanced and customized for gaming. We just need that physical feel to our controls. All tablet based games will be able to be played at home on the big display. Still skeptical about VR. Seems like every five to ten years we're on the verge of VR gaming becoming mainstream and it never happens. Ten years from now if people are gaming at home they'll most likely still be gaming on a TV. It'll just be an OLED display attached to the wall with touchscreen capability. I could see Sony integrating playstation technology (camera and move) into their TVs as a selling point to those who don't want the clutter of a box underneath. They'll probably still be selling a dualshock in some form or another for us dinosaurs.

Yeah i know what you mean with the online stuff, there aren't many games that appeal to me either that have online

But bigger hardware like consoles and PC's will still be more powerful. We are also at a point where hardware development is faster than game development. Games can't really go beyond 16GB RAM and have any significant impact

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ojmstr

@mastermetal777: Don't forget The tomorrow chidren, it's going to be online co-op only, not everyone has put to much thought into or even heard about it but i can tell allready that that game is going to be a massiv success. It's a Ps4 exclusive only and looks kinda like Minecraft on steroids but the core gameplay is entierly different though.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 The_Last_Ride

@ojmstr said:

@The_Last_Ride: 30 years into gaming here, you are right, consoles wont go away, we console gamers will allways prefer console gaming over pc. There will be a ps5 and a xbox-two and also a new Nintendo system, the market is getting bigger and bigger as well as new generations are getting into gaming.

Exactly, core gamers won't go over to tablets and vice versa. There will be a healthy market because it's only growing

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ojmstr

@The_Last_Ride: Yup true that, you can see it just by noticing that every now and then there is a new sales record for a game title, latly it was Watch Dogs and Destiny i think. The gaming industry just keeps growing and growing at the same pace with the population increase world wide. There will be a new sales record within a couple years, maybe even next year. Would be interesting to make a thread later down the road where we gamespotters can predict what game that will set the new sales record. There are many factors that plays a big part offcourse in order to set a new sales record but one of those factors are a direct consequence of population increase.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#22 aretilda
Member since 2014 • 499 Posts

The future of games is that we are all going to be uploaded to The Matrix.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Last_Ride

@ojmstr said:

@The_Last_Ride: Yup true that, you can see it just by noticing that every now and then there is a new sales record for a game title, latly it was Watch Dogs and Destiny i think. The gaming industry just keeps growing and growing at the same pace with the population increase world wide. There will be a new sales record within a couple years, maybe even next year. Would be interesting to make a thread later down the road where we gamespotters can predict what game that will set the new sales record. There are many factors that plays a big part offcourse in order to set a new sales record but one of those factors are a direct consequence of population increase.

Watch Dogs was the best selling ip in Ubi history and Destiny is the best selling new ip. GTA always seems to sell a lot