10 Best Games of All Time

• 73 results
#1 Posted by MWright469 (151 posts) -

####Okay, so even though this topic has been beaten to death, I'm sure, I'm going to ask it one last time...

What do you believe to be the 10 best games ever made?

Now, wait! Before you answer, let's clarify. I am not talking about cultural influence, the impact it's had on the industry, etc. While these can certainly be qualifications, I want you to make your choice based on games that you personally love and would not do without, even if other people think they are complete trash. Also, if you like, give a brief description of why you love each game that you do. If you don't feel like typing out all 10, feel free to add any that come to mind.

I'll start us off! Here are 10 of my favorite, most played, most enjoyed games of all time, in no particular order:

Number 10: Diablo 2

In the last few years I haven't been a PC gamer at all. However, when I was younger, I spent a good 5 years of my life playing Diablo 2. Even though I haven't touched the game in a long time, I have to give credit where credit is due: you don't play a game for 5 years and not like it. Diablo 2 had a unique, dark ambience and vibe about it that I haven't found in any other game. Combine this with the ridiculous amount of character customization, extra things to find and do, and the fun PvP, and you've got yourself an excellent game. Even as shitty as they are, the graphics hold up well over time, and still evoke the same sense of wonder, curiosity and gothic darkness that they have for almost 15 years.

Number 9: Timesplitters: Future Perfect

Another game which I haven't even touched in awhile, yet it is so ridiculously good, it deserves a mention. While most people don't even know the name, TSFP, for me, even more than Timesplitters 2, perfected the Goldeneye-style shooter on consoles. It took elements of games like Halo, Half-Life, Perfect Dark, and yes, Goldeneye, and fused them together into a a real gem of a game. The shooting and gameplay was tight, the multiplayer arcade mode and challenges were excellent, the amount of features and customization were immense, and of course, the game had a feature found in almost no other game: a truly excellent, drag and drog mapmaking feature, on a CONSOLE GAME! Just astounding. Still as fun and frantic today as it was in 2005. I can't tell you how many hours I spent playing this game, either by myself just making maps and mucking around, or with friends, depriving ourselves of sleep and loading up on horrid pizza and store brand soda, just to keep playing through the night. TSFP was an amazing game that will always live on in my heart as one of the last truly arcade-like FPS games, and perhaps, the very best one.

Number 8: Resident Evil 4

For me, Resident Evil 4 started it all. It simultaneously gave me a supreme love for gorey action, third person shooting, and survival horror. With some of the tightest controls of its time, graphics that still look amazingly life-like even today, and one of the best campaigns in any game, Resident Evil 4 really had it all. I have to mention again, the graphics in RE4 are just insane. Even though it definitely shows its age, when I look at RE4 today, I am still truly impressed by how amazing the game looks. There are games made today which don't include the amount of sheer nuance and refinement present in RE4, both in its graphics and gameplay. RE4 was both the definitive game of the RE series, and quite possibly one of the best games ever made by anyone's standard.

Number 7: Gears of War

Without Resident Evil 4, there would be no Gears of War. Hell, Cliffy B said it himself. However, with that being said, Gears of War stands on its own merits. Gears of War could be described as a tactical shooting game, but it would be best described simply, as badass. No game ever made you feel like such an overpowered S.O.B. until Gears of War. You were a giant warrior, in giant armor, with a giant gun, killing giant aliens. What more could you want? Perhaps some of the funnest multiplayer known to man? You've got it. Gears of War was a great singleplayer experience, especially with a friend, but online is where the game found its meat and potatoes. With its "elimination" style gameplay, few games can match the visceral, fast-paced, blood-pumping action of Gears of War. While subsequent entries in the series were good, specifically Gears of War 2, they never felt as tight, arcade-like, or simply fun, as the original. Gears of War will always stand at the top of the stack for me, in terms of competitive games. It was simply one of the best.

Number 6: Quake 3: Arena

Quake 3 Arena really needs to explanation or introduction, but I might as well give it one. Quake 3 Arena is essentially what would happen if you took Doom, made it multiplayer focused, and then took every aspect of it and injected it with the highest grade heroin known to man. Quake 3 is the definitive, classic arena shooter. Few games have proven to be as balanced, as fast-paced, or as fun as Quake 3. Quake 3 is the go-to game for settling bets and proving who has the better reaction time (or at least, who spends more time looking at Hentai and touching themselves). Quake 3 is a classic, and even games like Unreal Tournament can't hope to match up to the balanced weapons, expertly designed levels, and quick action of Quake 3.

Number 5: Warhawk

Here's another title some of you may not even be familiar with. Warhawk is an interesting game, because really, there isn't anything else like it. But there doesn't need to be. While games like Halo, Call of Duty, and yes, even Gears of War, will try to put you in the shoes of a soldier on the battlefield, it always feels fake. You always feel like you're just moving through a series of set pieces, taking down enemies, but never actually participating in a real, coherent battle. What you do in games like those has very little impact on the outcome of the "war" so to speak, but in Warhawk, the game IS a war. You play as a semi-cartoonish little soldier who can be outfitted with a variety of weapons and gadgets, and your objective is to fight alongside your team mates in large, 32-person wars that span across absolutely GIGANTIC maps (seriously, they're the size of small countries). The best part? You can also hop into Humvees, tanks, and of course, the most awesome fighter jets ever, Warhawks. Utilizing all the tools of the battlefield, you and your team mates can crush the opposition, stealing tactical vantage points, items, and flags along the way. Warhawk is one of the few games that truly makes you feel like you're a soldier in a war, and your impact can either mean nothing, or everything. This is the soul of Warhawk, and the reason it is so fantastic.

Number 4: Halo 3

Halo 3 is one of those rare games that just seems to get it all right. While there will always be criticisms you can make, such as certain guns or vehicles being unbalanced, or even the lack of offline multiplayer bots (which isn't even common, anyway), you cannot deny the sheer excellence of the game. Halo 3 offers a well-thought campaign, a brilliant, classic multiplayer mode with a plethora of different options, and the excellent forge mode where you can create your own content. Few games are as feature-rich and well constructed as Halo 3. Halo's gameplay is in fine form here, and the amount of wasted nights spent playing Halo 3 with drunk buddies are too many to count. Hell, even the graphics are pretty good.

Number 3: Demon's Souls

If you consider yourself a serious gamer, you should know about Demon's Souls, but if you don't, let me tell you, it is badass. Demon's Souls is sort of like what would happen if you combined Diablo 2 with one of the 3D Zelda titles. It's so much better than that, however. The game is dark, gothic, and at times, even disturbing and scary. However, what makes it so brilliant is the atmosphere. The atmosphere of demon souls protrudes through every aspect of the gameplay, and makes the entire experience one you won't forget. From the small ambient sounds, to the well-voiced character, and even the strange, wondrous environments and creepy lighting effects, Demon's Souls leaves you with an aural feeling completely its own. Not to mention, the controls and combat are as tight as can be, the levels are incredibly well designed and each present unique obstacles and enemies, and the progression of your character is unique and fun.

Number 2: Killzone 3

Boy, I'm asking for it with this one, but hear me out. Some will disagree, but I find Killzone 3 to be better not only than the normally preferred Killzone 2, but also better than most blockbuster titles like Battlefield, Crysis, Far Cry, and even Halo. What are my reasons for this? Well, they go like this: gameplay, graphics, and multiplayer bots. Killzone 3 perfected everything wrong with Killzone 2, and overhauled it with far superior graphics and controls. Additionally, the new abilities and weapons you have at your disposal are ridiculously cool. Plus, can you say flamethrowers, jetpacks, and GIANT MECHS? This game is after mine own heart. It really couldn't get better... Except for the fact it has multiplayer bots. I'm a huge fan of bots in games, because it's nice to know that even if the internet goes down, or when you're getting the shit kicked out of you, that you can go and enjoy the multiplayer experience by yourself. It also serves as an excellent training mode and a way to extend the multiplayer features far beyond the lifespan of the online servers. Killzone 3 has everything that a game needs to be great, and while you can fault it for whatever you may, it looks great, plays great, and sounds great. Killzone 3....Is great.

Number 1: The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker

I'll never understand the hate for Wind Waker. It seems to be one of those "love it or hate it" things, but I've always been in the former group. Wind Waker, to me, is the first Zelda game that really seemed like an adventure. In prior installments, all areas seemed very connected and reminiscent of one another, I always felt like I was playing an action/platformer game and I was never taken out of that mindset, but with the Wind Waker, the game was epic, grand, and truly enthralling. Finding some small, almost invisible island and finding a hole on it that leads to an ancient battleground filled with giant demon warriors is about one of the coolest experiences I've found in gaming. The wind waker draws you in and doesn't let go. The art style, the combat, the exploration, the wonder and curiosity- it is just so grand. Wind Waker will always be my favorite Zelda game, and one of the best games I've ever played in general.

What about you? What are your favorite games, and why?

#2 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (6233 posts) -

1. Half-Life 2 (inc. Episodes) - The perfect game to me. Great story, great characters, technically brilliant for it's time, fantastic gameplay. And for me, it just has this X-factor that no other game has. Probably the only game I'd give 10/10.

2. Bioshock - I love games with great narrative, and this is one of the best. Brilliantly written, and Rapture has to be one of the best game worlds every created.

3. Mass Effect series - I'm a space nerd, and this has it all. Epic story, really fun gameplay, interesting worlds to explore. Loved every minute of it!

4. Bioshock Infinite - Same as Bioshock 1. Brilliant narrative, and Columbia was a joy to explore.

5. Portal 2 - Brilliantly written and acted, such a joy to solve these puzzles.

6. Last of Us - Such a rollercoaster ride of emotion in this game. Not many games have moved me the way LoU did. Brilliant narrative!

7. Red Dead Redemption - What a world to explore! Not a bad story/characters either. My Favourite R* game.

8. Tomb Raider (2013) - What a reboot! Loved following Lara on this journey. Some epic moments!

9. God of War 3 - Such a thrill battling those massive bosses. Sooooooo cool!

10. GTA San Andreas - Still my favourite GTA by a mile. Such an engaging story (unlike the last 2 games). So many memorable moments.

Runners Up: Halo CE, Civilization V, Uncharted 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution

#3 Edited by SnakeN313 (10 posts) -

Of course not everyone will agree with MGS because it's simply not for everyone, and I couldn't leave Nintendo out and also a lot are older games, but at the time were innovative, exiting to play, and very addicting because they were just simply well made and fun.

1.Metal Gear Solid

2. Super Mario World

3.Half-Life/Counter-Strike

4.Starcraft

5.Resident Evil

6.Super Metroid

7. Warcraft 3

8.Grand Theft Auto 3

9.Mario Kart 64

10. Zelda : A Link to the Past

#4 Edited by HailtotheQueen (263 posts) -

The fact that the OP had a Halo game in there and not Tribes almost made me vomit but anyway...... lol

10. Battlefield 3 - It had its share of problems but I still enjoyed it during my time on the game.

9. Plants vs Zombies

8. Gears of War

7. Skyrim

6. Unreal Tournament 2004

5. Tribes Vengeance

4. Planetside 2

3. Left 4 Dead 2

2. Counterstrike

1. Starsiege Tribes - The greatest multi-player game ever made. Nothing else comes close.

#5 Posted by CeltMage (16 posts) -

1: Unreal Tournament. The original, despite the weapons being unrealistic and the futuristic setting it had, in my opinion, the best movement physics and the tournament maps were awesome. I was most fond of the Domination game type but the Capture the Flag maps were also the best of any game I've ever played and the Deathmatch was unusually good for both 1v1 and 4v4 which is rare. The sequels just ruined the title. The addition of vehicles just made it seem like it wanted to capture some of the Halo market. There will never be another shooter as good, everyone focuses on graphics too hard and tries to make a new gimmick that makes it more fun. But they're missing the mark because what made Unreal Tournament so great was the attention it payed to the basics. It was simple, just learn how to use the weapons that were best for the type of area and every weapon had another weapon that defended against it, that balance made it great.

2: Gran Turismo. When the original came out there wasn't another game even close to being as realistic. While there weren't as many cars as later sequels again it had the basics, good cars, great physics, ability to enhance and adjust your cars without making them ridiculous. You could add real world parts with a realistic expectation of what it would do. While I loved sequels as well nothing made the impact on the genre as much as the first one. It changed racing games forever, but it was almost always the best. I loved 1,2,3 and 4 most, 5 prologue left me disappointed and 5 was great except for a few things, 5 was almost impossible to finish with a controller because of how uncontrollable the high powered racing cars and F1 cars were, the throttle on the controller didn't really give you enough play in the gas to control the amount of gas you gave them. GT 6 doesn't have the realistic feel to the cars like the earlier games, I actually did a front bumper stand with a low powered Alfa Romeo, I'm sorry but I've driven enough cars in my 40 or so years to know even a FF car isn't going to life the rear wheels 4 feet or so off the ground, I hadn't even modified the car other than a computer chip and with the tiny little Honda it makes you start off with I could at will put it up on 2 wheels just by going about 60 mph and turning a bit sharp with the outside tires on the apron. Again an unmodified car with barely over 120hp going on 2 wheels so easily? NOT realistic at all. I also flipped that Alfa on Tokyo when a car bumped me into a guardrail and the tire caught traction, I hit the gas because I knew it wasn't going to flip, but another gentle bump from the unfriendly AI driver pushed my inside tire over the rail, up the wall and found myself flipping the car at 75mph. It was so unrealistic I couldn't help but to laugh.

3 Oblivion/Skyrim. I'm putting them together because they're each great in their own way and I spent more time playing these games than probably any other short of Unreal Tournament. I was never a big fan of RPG's but someone told me I could play it in the First person mode that I was such a fan of. They weren't kidding, I got so addicted to them that I rarely played anything else. The fact that I spent several hundred hours on each game, a couple times each, shows how much I enjoyed them so I'll just leave it at that, no other game captured my sole attention as Oblivion did until they made more games. The storyline and side stories were awesome.

4:Fallout 3/ New Vegas. Again as addicted as I was to Oblivion someone told me if I liked that I would love Fallout 3 because being made by the same people it was alot like Oblivion but with guns. While that was only somewhat true it was close enough, it took me a little while before I got hooked as much but hooked I was soon enough. I was amazed how hard one mission was so while it went against my nature I went and consulted a walkthrough and discovered that it wasn't that I was doing it wrong, that's how the game ended. You died at the end. That really disappointed me and left me discouraged. I had several saves so I just backed up a couple levels and started finishing the side missions before doing the final main story line mission. As fun as it was the ending still just left me feeling cheated, but I did buy the sequel and loved how many main storylines you could follow, again the sheer number of hours I played them is testament to how much I loved each one.

5: GTA 3/ Vice City/ San Andreas. Again I'm putting them together because of the likeness they had to each other. GTA 3 held my attention much like the previous games in that they were so interesting and the stories were so good a I couldn't stop playing them. GTA3 was so unlike anything else out at the time that I wasn't playing much else, I had to laugh at the news saying how Walmart was actually going to stop selling it because of protests, but when Vice City came out they weren't going to let any amount of protesters deter them from making all that profit. haha Vice City had the best music of all the rest and the missions were awesome. I played each of these to death.

6: All the CoD/MoH games on the PS2, I had so many of each it's hard to separate which were better than the others, but I guess if I had to pick one of the bunch to put on top it would be European Assault. They were all great games which I thoroughly enjoyed, But Euro Assault is the only one I played online until people kept banning me from their servers for capping flags so easily.

7. Resistance 1/2. Best console shooter in my opinion, I won't go into detail as it would be redundant saying what I've already said about other games, I just pick certain games I love and play them to death. I haven't played 3 yet, I just picked it up the other day though.

8. Burnout/Burnout 2. Burnout made me laugh more than any single thing on the planet bar nothing. The sheer automotive carnage was spectacular, the speeds you got and driving up the wrong lanes of interstates while drifting like no other game was just awesome, as far as arcade racing goes Burnout was the single best driving game ever made, I can say this because Gran Turismo is not an arcade game, it' a sim. So I think that's all I need to say about it, the only reason I put Burnout 2 with it was because it added online racing to the mix, if not for that the original would stand alone, and it's still the most fun you can have offline, Burnout 2 was great but it wasn't the sheer adrenaline packed craziness of the original. But the online racing was great.

9. Call of Duty Black Ops1. It had a good long storyline missing from most PS3 shooters, I was really disappointed by Black Ops2 as it seemed to focus on the online zombie players more so than anything else, the story was ridiculously short and boring, but Black Ops 1 had a few good plot twists that kept me interested and was more than just a few missions, it had a good long story that went back and forth, but like almost every shooter made nowdays you are never at a lack for ammo, that's a bit disappointing to me, I like having to scrounge and watch my ammo supply to make the game more interesting.

10. Killzone 2. The first was promising but lacked a jump button, who does that? No jump in a shooter? That's as silly as Resident Evil's making you stop to shoot, I've always hated that title anyway, but Killzone 2 was not only a great storyline but it was pretty dern difficult, I found myself stuck on the roof trying to kill that ATAC for a couple days. I had a guy laugh at me and say he beat it first try but I don't believe that even on the easier levels.*Sigh* I hate silly game braggers, like guy on Dragons of Atlantis that said he watched his friend beat Skyrim 100% in 2 or 3 days, I couldn't argue much but to say I thought he was a liar because I hadn't played it yet, I wish I could find him now that I've played it. I haven't played Killzone 3 yet either, I just picked it up with Resistance 3 and can't wait to start both. Those qre 2 great titles.

I know I left lot of great games out but I managed to squeeze about 20 games in my top 10. hehe But they were all similar and I couldn't really choose 1 over the other, especially with Oblivion and Skyrim, they were both excellent games and I couldn't leave 1 out over the other. But that's the games I couldn't live without. I went all the way back into the 1990's to include some, If I wanted I could have gone all the way back the the NES and a game called Nobinaga's Ambition. For a NES game that could hold around 8 to 10 players it was awesome but took forever. But a great game shouldn't be short. Length and replayability factor into a fun games overall rank. At least it should.

#6 Posted by DarthGumballs (194 posts) -

Madden 25
Call of Duty Black Ops II
Call of Duty MW3
Black Ops
Forza 5
FIFA 14
MLB 2k13
Titanfall
NBA 2k14
Tiger Woods The Masters

#7 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

1.) tes series

2.) fallout series

3.) halo series

4.) splinter cell series

throw in the orange box and that'll be 10+games.

bioshock, gears, AC, ME, as well.

have to throw guitar hero 2 in there, too!

#8 Posted by huerito323 (1377 posts) -

@darthgumballs said:

Madden 25

Call of Duty MW3

Black Ops

Forza 5

FIFA 14

MLB 2k13

Titanfall

NBA 2k14

Tiger Woods The Masters

Ewww. My brain hurts after this.

#9 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3713 posts) -

All Time Favorite : Half Life 2

Top 10 Games :

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. The Witcher 1 & 2
  3. Starcraft 2 : Wings of Liberty
  4. Max Payne 2 : The Fall of Max Payne
  5. James Bond 007 : NightFire
  6. Alan Wake
  7. Freelancer
  8. Company of Heroes
  9. Splinter Cell : Double Agent
  10. Total War : Shogun 2
#10 Edited by 187umKILLAH (1347 posts) -
  1. Heroes of Might and Magic 3
  2. Zoo Tycoon (Including Dino and Marine expansions)
  3. Sega MegaDrive Ultimate Collection (Retro gaming heaven on 1 disc)
  4. Diablo 2
  5. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
  6. Skyrim
  7. Final Fantasy 7
  8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  9. Killzone 2
  10. Puzzle Bobble

*Runners up: Dragon's Crown and World of Warcraft

#11 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium:

I have yet to play the witcher games or alan wake but will some day. and, I just replayed max 1 and 2 a couple months ago, lol!

#12 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17223 posts) -

I'm only listing one game per series:

1. Streets of Rage 2
  2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
  3. Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
  4. X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter
  5. Pokemon R/B/Y
  6. Halo CE
  7. Mega Man X
  8. NiGHTS into Dreams
  9. Gunstar Heroes
  10. MUSHA
#13 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3713 posts) -

@udubdawgz1 said:

@Cloud_imperium:

I have yet to play the witcher games or alan wake but will some day. and, I just replayed max 1 and 2 a couple months ago, lol!

Max Payne 3 is nothing compared to first two games . True masterpieces . And you should play Witcher , Alan Wake as well as Freelancer . You won't be disappointed . Freelancer is revolutionary game , even for today .

#14 Posted by quatoe (5684 posts) -

1. LoZ series

2. Resident Evil 4

3. PoP Trilogy (2003-2005)

4. Super Mario Bros 3

5. TES: Skyrim

6. Fallout 3/Fallout: New Vegas

7. Batman: Arkham Asylum

8. Mass Effect series

9. Dragon Age series

10. Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland

#15 Posted by Kreative666 (20 posts) -

1. Metal Gear Solid
2. Heavy Rain
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Mean Streets (Tex Murphy)
5. Final Fantasy VII
6. Headhunter
7. NBA 2k
8. LA Noire
9. Skitchin'
10. NBA Live 95

#16 Posted by iamllamapie (211 posts) -
@darthgumballs said:

Madden 25

Call of Duty MW3

Black Ops

Forza 5

FIFA 14

MLB 2k13

Titanfall

NBA 2k14

Tiger Woods The Masters

You're trolling, right?

#17 Posted by CTR360 (7112 posts) -

10 resident evil code veronica 9 redemption&tomb raider (2013) 8 MGS&MGS4 7 xenoblade&final fantasy x 6 skyrim &zelda ww 5 uncharted 2& mass effect 2 4 tales of vesperia &dark souls 3 gta san andreas & uncharted3 2halo4&dark souls2 1GTAV& last of us

#18 Edited by mjorh (807 posts) -

Oh god in these topics i'm like " why i didn't have a console? {sigh} "

10- Medal of Honor 2 (PS1) : Ground-breaking title which its AI is still better than today's FPSs

9- Battlefield 3 (PC) Multiplayer: I'm not a big fan of "multiplayer" but it is such a great experience , can't get enough with it

8- Harvest Moon-Back to Nature (PS1) : It's a surprise to me why it's not on your lists !

7- NFS Most Wanted (2005) : The best racing experience.

6- Assassin's Creed II : I seriously was in love with this game , i had such a great enthusiasm for this game !

5- GTA Vice City: My first GTA game, unique experience at the time.

4- Mass Effect 2 : Will never forget how epic it was !

3- Bioshock Infinite: One the brilliant games ever created with such a compelling story!

2- GTA San Andreas : The best GTA game ever ...haven't played V though.

1- Batman Arkham City! : Just let's be silent as a sign of respect for the awesomeness of this masterpiece!

I think that's it for me...this may change u know i think i might have dropped some titles , For videogames i believe it should be TOP30....

#19 Edited by DarthGumballs (194 posts) -

@iamllamapie said:
@darthgumballs said:

Madden 25

Call of Duty MW3

Black Ops

Forza 5

FIFA 14

MLB 2k13

Titanfall

NBA 2k14

Tiger Woods The Masters

You're trolling, right?

??

#20 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium:

ya, I read some freelancer reviews and it looks good. I grew up on wing commander and descent, lol. I really need to get a gaming pc.......

#21 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3713 posts) -

@udubdawgz1 said:

@Cloud_imperium:

ya, I read some freelancer reviews and it looks good. I grew up on wing commander and descent, lol. I really need to get a gaming pc.......

Freelancer is one of the most underrated games out there . It is 10/10 game without any doubt . Yes it was dumbed down by M$ but it was still a masterpiece . It is also ten years old game , I'm pretty sure you can run it on PC that you are using right now to post comments . The game is optimized very well :-)

#22 Posted by marcheegsr (2841 posts) -

There are so many I can't put them in order ...

• Quake 3 team arena
  • Unreal tournament
  • Battlefield 3
  • Mass effect trilogy
  • GTA Vice city and San andreas
  • Gran turismo 3
  • Forza 4
  • Fallout 3
  • Need for speed underground 2
  • Super Mario 3
  • Uncharted 2
  • Doom 1,2,3

I know im missing a lot but that's all I can think of right now.

#23 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6233 posts) -

@iamllamapie said:
@darthgumballs said:

Madden 25

Call of Duty MW3

Black Ops

Forza 5

FIFA 14

MLB 2k13

Titanfall

NBA 2k14

Tiger Woods The Masters

You're trolling, right?

Lol... I hope for his sake he is.

#24 Posted by MWright469 (151 posts) -

@kreative666:

Lol Headhunter huh? Wow. I'm impressed. I thought I was the only person who even knew about that game...

#25 Posted by Gamertag-TFTW (2233 posts) -

*Reads thread* This again...

EverQuest
World of WarCraft
Diablo II
Dark Age of Camelot
Halo 2
Lord of the Rings Conquest
Dragon's Dogma
Final Fantasy VIII
Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 2
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

These ten titles are the best games of all time. There are honorable mentions but they weren't asked for.

#26 Posted by Kreative666 (20 posts) -

@Gamertag-TFTW: @mwright469:

@mwright469 said:

@kreative666:

Lol Headhunter huh? Wow. I'm impressed. I thought I was the only person who even knew about that game...

Cheers mate :) Yeah, not many people have heard of it, a cult classic. Yep, I loved it. Great puzzles that weren't too obscure but made you think, solid controls, a good story line and a really good atmosphere.

#27 Posted by Meteor7 (515 posts) -

Battlefield 2

Unreal Tournament 2004

Fire Emblem Awakening

Xcom Enemy Unknown/Within

LA Noire

Dawn of War: Soulstorm

Dragon Age: Origins

KOTOR

Super Mario Legend of the Seven Stars

Diablo 2

#28 Posted by bowchicka07 (1075 posts) -
  1. Halo 2
  2. Halo 3
  3. FF VII
  4. FF Tactics
  5. Heroes of Might and Magic 3
  6. Heroes of Might and Magic 2
  7. Old runescape
  8. Old Wow
  9. Skyrim
  10. League of Legends
#29 Edited by Arach666 (23042 posts) -

Not in any particular order:

Deus Ex
System Shock(1&2)
Thief 2: The Metal Age
Star Control 2
Shenmue(1&2)
Baldurs Gate 2
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Fallout 2
Battlezone(1998)
Ultima Underworld

This stuff changes all the time for me though,there´s always some that always stay on that "top 10" but others keep switching in and out depending on my current disposition,other ones like Kingpin: Life of Crime,Ultima VII,Skies of Arcadia,Hearts of Iron 2,Freelancer,X-Com UFO Defense,Grim Fandango,Starcraft,Rome: Total War,Riven,Quake,Blade Runner,Phantasy Star 4,SHOGO: Mobile Armor Division,Geoff Crammond´s GP3,among many others could´ve also made that list,wich is why I always find really hard to choose just 10 and when I do I rarely put them in order,if I had to choose the overall favourite it would most likely be Deus Ex but after that I can´t really put them in any order.

#30 Posted by Minishdriveby (10030 posts) -

I haven't played enough games to have a valid opinion on the topic.

#31 Posted by Chozofication (2929 posts) -
  • Paper Mario TTYD
  • Zelda Twilight Princess (GC)
  • Klonoa
  • Sin and punishment 2
  • F-zero GX
  • Panzer dragoon orta
  • Bayonetta
  • Enslaved odyssey to the west
  • Hulk ultimate destruction
  • Banjo kazooie
#32 Edited by widdowson91 (1237 posts) -

I could list 10 games from only 5 franchises if I wanted, so for the sake of fairness I'll choose only 1 game per franchise. In chronological order of release:

• Super Mario Bros, 3
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • EarthBound
  • Chrono Trigger
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Pokemon Gold Version
  • Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Metroid Prime
  • Half-Life 2

There are other's I'd add if I allowed myself multiple choices from a single franchise. Super Mario World, Super Metroid, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy VII etc. And there are other games like System Shock 2 and Thief: The Dark Project that I absolutely adore. In reality I need more of a top 20.

#33 Posted by widdowson91 (1237 posts) -

@Arach666 said:

Not in any particular order:

Deus Ex

System Shock(1&2)

Thief 2: The Metal Age

Star Control 2

Shenmue(1&2)

Baldurs Gate 2

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

Fallout 2

Battlezone(1998)

Ultima Underworld

This stuff changes all the time for me though,there´s always some that always stay on that "top 10" but others keep switching in and out depending on my current disposition,other ones like Kingpin: Life of Crime,Ultima VII,Skies of Arcadia,Hearts of Iron 2,Freelancer,X-Com UFO Defense,Grim Fandango,Starcraft,Rome: Total War,Riven,Quake,Blade Runner,Phantasy Star 4,SHOGO: Mobile Armor Division,Geoff Crammond´s GP3,among many others could´ve also made that list,wich is why I always find really hard to choose just 10 and when I do I rarely put them in order,if I had to choose the overall favourite it would most likely be Deus Ex but after that I can´t really put them in any order.

Star Control II is a great game, but the combat was a disappointment for me personally. It was the one aspect of the game that stopped it becoming 'awesome'. I wasn't that good at it, and maybe that dampened the experience, but I really couldn't get in to it. The rest of the game, exploring the galaxy, finding elements and supplies, trading and forming allegiances with alien races, was fantastic.

#34 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

Well here we go...

1. The Last Of Us - This was the title that truly felt like an experience. It was more than a toy. I did not feel like a super secret agent weapons specialist. I was just Joel, an ordinary man in a world gone to shit. The mechanics and design reflected this. Enemies felt alive, they made mistakes, they were scared, cocky and sometimes even reserved. They communicated with you as the player and each other in a way few others games can match. They were human... not robots to dispatch or play whack-a-mole with. The story and its characters kept me riveted the from beginning to end. The sound design and the focus on stealth and crafting, the perfect U.I and even the brutal, grounded nature of the whole thing. This is a masterpiece. It's not about fighting giant invisible snakes or Ogres or infected Gorillas and boss battles. This is truly an experience... not a toy.

2. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - I'm a sucker for that action adventure, blockbuster experience. This series captures that more than any other. While I typically get fatigued playing most shooters (even Uncharted 2 dragged and overdid it in the last 2 hours) this one never even approached this issue for me. It gave the player more reason to move around the combat space utilizing the different mechanics than previous entries. It had improved puzzles, animation, graphics, more intelligently written villains, better multiplayer and so on. This game wows me every time I play it and after 7 playthroughs I still want to go through another 7 times.

3. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - This one constantly changes between CT and Pandora Tomorrow. But Chaos Theory provided such an amazing stealth experience. It mastered everything the original set out to do and become one of the greatest games of all time. It's a stealth fans wet dream and remains a classic even to this day. With wide open levels, great A.I and the feeling of being a spy, espionage behind enemy lines... it was just perfect. It really did put the espionage in stealth.

4. Hitman: Blood Money - I have played through this game over twenty times and yet I still adore it to pieces. It's almost infinitely replayable. Massive levels and so many unique ways to approach a target or complete a mission with a large and upgradable arsenal at your disposal... this game just never ends for me. Pulling off the perfect hit, hiding in plain sight and walking away with a smile on your face, few games could ever be so satisfying.

I'll end it on the top 4. After this it becomes more of a chore to list and explain. I'd also end up putting a few games on the list that belong to the same series as 3 of the 4 games I mentioned already.

#35 Posted by Arach666 (23042 posts) -

@widdowson91 said:

Star Control II is a great game, but the combat was a disappointment for me personally. It was the one aspect of the game that stopped it becoming 'awesome'. I wasn't that good at it, and maybe that dampened the experience, but I really couldn't get in to it. The rest of the game, exploring the galaxy, finding elements and supplies, trading and forming allegiances with alien races, was fantastic.

Back when the game was new that was also my problem with SC2,I could handle combat with the lesser Ur-Quan ships and the Slylandro probes just fine but with the more advanced ships that´s where the issues began,though it was mostly due to my inability than a problem with the combat itself,but with some practice you´ll find that the combat is actually quite good(and fairly easy,especially if you use the "proper" ships against certain enemies) and very in depth.

#36 Posted by 777Hedonist7666 (30 posts) -
  • Fallout 2
  • Baldurs Gate 2
  • Quake
  • Deus Ex
  • System Shock 2
  • Command and Conquer
  • GTA 3
  • Quest for Glory 4
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Mass Effect
#37 Posted by Matas_0R_Not (50 posts) -

1. Counter-strike 1.6- the hardest fps shooter game to master.

2. Dirt 3- best rally simulator i personally ever played.

3. GTA San Andreas- i wish ps4 would have it. also ive heard that ps4 is getting ps1 ps2 emulator so maybe it is possible to get gta sa for ps4.

4. Dead Island- holy sh!t you can see your legs. and smashing zombies heads is quite statisfying.

#38 Edited by jdc6305 (3895 posts) -

1. Super Metroid. I loved the first one on the NES but Super Metroid took the Series to a whole new level. I'm not saying it's number 1 because of the acclaim it's received. I'm saying it's No1 because it was the best gaming experience I ever had.

2. Zelda A Link to the Past. The reason I choose it one as No2 is the same reason I chose Super Metroid. I played the first one on the NES and loved it. ALTTP took everything from the first Zelda to a whole new level.

3. Castlevania the Series. I couldn't just choose one game because I like a lot of them. One of the first NES games I ever played was the first Castlevania. It took me 4 years to finish the game. I enjoy the series as a whole.

4. Metroid Prime 2. I really enjoyed Metroid Prime 1 on the gamecube when it came out. I like Prime 2 better because of it's atmosphere.

5. Metal Gear Solid 4. I like MGS4 because of the attention to detail. The game is near flawless.

6. Mario Galaxy. I love the amount of creativity that went into the level design. The game is just pure fun.

7. Resident Evil Remake. I love the atmosphere it's just creepy as hell.

8. I don't have anymore to list that I can say are my favorite. Many modern games don't captivate me like old games use to. Maybe my age has something to do with it. I just give a list of honorable mentions. Rare games from the N64 were awesome. SW KOTOR Ninja Gaiden Black Demon/Dark Souls Bayonetta Final Fantasy 7 and 9 Tomb Raider 2013. These are just some of the other games I really enjoyed.

Most modern games bore the hell out of me. I don't play games for the story I play for the gameplay. Many of todays games have cheesy stories and take themselves too serious. I play games becasue I like to see the creativity the developers can come up with.

#39 Posted by MWright469 (151 posts) -

It's kind of depressing to me how many people have favorite games that were made in the last few years. Not that the games aren't good, but I'm seeing a lot of blockbuster titles and sports games, with very little in the way of hidden gems and lesser-knowns. Again, some of my favorite games of all time were made in the last few years, so it's not to say that some games aren't deserving of a spot on your list, but really, it makes me wonder how many people have actually played older games, older consoles, etc. Kind of sad really. So many people don't know what they're missing.

#40 Posted by veggie530 (2873 posts) -

Dude. Halo 3, GOW and Killzone 3 in your top 10... of all time?!?!?! Jesus what a terrible opening post lol

#41 Edited by cyborg100000 (2858 posts) -
  • Half Life Series
  • Red Alert 1 & 2
  • Deus Ex
  • STALKER
  • Planescape: Torment
  • System Shock 2
  • Fallout 3
  • Freelancer
  • World of Warcraft
  • Mass Effect series
#42 Posted by thehig1 (2297 posts) -

10. Tomb raider 2013 (pc)

9. Zelda windwaker (gamecube)

8. Bioshock (360)

7. Minecraft (pc)

6. Pokemon red/blue (gameboy)

5. Resident evil remake (gamecube)

4. Super CastleVania 4 (super nintendo)

3. Syrim (pc)

2. Mass effect 2 (pc)

1. Final fantasy VII

There are many many other I loved but couldn't fit into this list

Donkey Kong country 2

EVO search for Eden

Road rash

Riddick escape from butcher bay

Silent hill

Amnesia dark descent

Broken sword

Legend

Goldeneye

Eternal darkness

Super Mario world

Contra

Alex kidd in miracle world

All those games I shortlisted before narrowing down to a top 10

#43 Posted by veggie530 (2873 posts) -

In no particular order:

Metal Gear Solid 4

Grand Theft Auto SA

Red Dead Redemption

Grand Theft Auto V

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (PC)

Fallout 3 (PC)

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

The Last of Us (epic game to end the PS3 life cycle)

Original Mario Bro's on Nintendo

NFL 2K2

Those are my personal top 10, albeit there are some original PSX games that really tickle my nostalgia.

#44 Posted by pyro1245 (873 posts) -

In no particular order (because that would be difficult):

Dragon Age: Origins

Final Fantasy VII

Half-Life

Unreal Tournament

Super Mario 64

Metal Gear Solid

Morrowind

Zelda OOT

Mass Effect 2

Chrono Cross

#45 Posted by elkoldo (1164 posts) -

No order :

• The Last of Us
  • Beyond Two Souls
  • Bioshock
  • Heavy Rain
  • Fahrenheit
  • God of War
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Syphon Filter 2
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Silent Hill 4: The Room
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  • Need For Speed: Underground 2
  • Red Dead Redemption

And also this :

@contracts420 said:

The Last Of Us - This was the title that truly felt like an experience. It was more than a toy. I did not feel like a super secret agent weapons specialist. I was just Joel, an ordinary man in a world gone to shit. The mechanics and design reflected this. Enemies felt alive, they made mistakes, they were scared, cocky and sometimes even reserved. They communicated with you as the player and each other in a way few others games can match. They were human... not robots to dispatch or play whack-a-mole with. The story and its characters kept me riveted the from beginning to end. The sound design and the focus on stealth and crafting, the perfect U.I and even the brutal, grounded nature of the whole thing. This is a masterpiece. It's not about fighting giant invisible snakes or Ogres or infected Gorillas and boss battles. This is truly an experience... not a toy.

#46 Posted by Ballroompirate (23049 posts) -

Honestly I don't mind these type of topics since top 10's can change overtime, well at least mine does.

My top 10 games (currently)

10. State of Decay

9. Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep

8. Mass Effect 2

7. Chrono Cross

6. Fire Emblem Awakening

5. Mass Effect

4. MGS3

3. Skyrim

2. Persona 4 Golden

1. The Last of Us

#47 Edited by GreySeal9 (24499 posts) -

My Top 10 (not in order except for number one):

1. Chrono Cross

2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

3. Final Fantasy IX

4. Persona 4

5. Chrono Trigger

6. Super Mario Galaxy 1

7. Super Mario Galaxy 2

8. Xenoblade Chronicles

9. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

10. Final Fantasy X

#48 Posted by one_plum (6358 posts) -

1. Resident Evil 4:
Perfect mix of action, tense moments and atmosphere.

2. Left 4 Dead:
High replay value and zombies, nuff said.

3. Eternal Darkness:
Epic story, many omg moments

4. Metroid Prime:
One of the most immersive experiences. Memorable soundtrack and environments.

5. Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed:
My first PC game. Fun like an arcade racing game, but driving also felt realistic.

6. Counter Strike
Spent countless hours on it.

7. Mortal Kombat II
Back when fighting games were simple, yet fast and furious. No need to remember crazy combos

8. F-Zero GX
Very fast-paced and challenging tracks

9. Super Metroid
Large world and great soundtrack

10. Sleeping Dogs
Engaging story and missions. Loved the design of the city.

#49 Posted by MWright469 (151 posts) -

@veggie530: Right, because if something is popular, it must not be good. You can enjoy your shitty JRPG's or whatever you play, Halo, Gears AND Killzone are all excellent titles, and if you think otherwise, you probably just suck at them.

#50 Posted by toshineon (19 posts) -

1. Mirror's Edge. I remember being über-hyped for that game, I was looking forward so much to a game that wasn't your standard FPS, and I was definitely not disappointed.

2. Star Wars: Battlefront 2. I played it quite a lot when I went to middle school, it was so cool to just play an all-out war in the Star Wars universe.

3. Samurai Shodown V. I played this a lot with a friend in middle school. We spend hours upon hours on this game, and he beat me every time. He was a beast at fighting games. I believe we had the "Special" version of the game. Sadly, the copy of the game that we had (and the whole console, actually) are long gone.

4. Rock Band 3. So many music games I played when they were popular, but this one is my pick, I still play it daily. These music games eventually got me to buy a real electric guitar, a decision I definitely don't regret.

5. Battlefield 2. This was a hard one to pick, because all the Battlefield games are really good. But you can't beat the amazing VoIP between the squad members, the tactical elements to the game, and the ability to just have fun with friends and family over a local network. Gets bonus points for computer controlled opponents on LAN.

6. F.E.A.R. Oh, man. All the memories. I must have beat the original game about 5 times now, and I still love it. My girlfriend I had in high school got me into horror games, and we played a lot of F.E.A.R. and Dead Space together. Also, Alma is one of my all-time favorite antagonists.

7. Far Cry 3. Open world, tons of different guns, Vaas, gorgeous graphics, improved stealth over the previous entries, Vaas, tons of content... need I say more? Also, did I mention Vaas?

8. Final Fantasy VII. I remember everyone talking about this game when I was a kid, but I never got into it because I thought it was too hard at the time. I actually finished it for the first time about a month or so ago... yeah, I'm a little slow. Still, I really liked it. The graphics are *really* dated, and the game hasn't aged well, but it's still one of the best games I've played with it's awesome music and character customization.

9. Pokémon Crystal. This was my first Pokémon game, and I instantly fell in love with the series. Having full control over how you want to set up your party of monsters along with the really cozy close to home feeling that the games have just made it so good. While games like Final Fantasy and Fallout are like embarking on a grand adventure, the Pokémon games feel more like exploring the neighborhood. These are games I can pick up and play anytime, and they always feel fresh to me.

10. Soul Blade. I never really was a fan of fighting games (aside from the previously mentioned Samurai Shodown), but this was one of my favorite PS1 games. I spent hours trying to practise so I could beat my sister, and in the end she still managed to push my character out of the ring. I also love the song in the opening cinematic.

That's my personal list. Though it was more of a collection of my favorite gaming memories.