$1 BILLION ?! Seriously?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mjorh (812 posts) -

Call of Duty Ghosts sell-in hits $1 billion ....

Can someone gimme some solid reasons why the hell it sells like this? ! the game is kinda the worst in the history of COD franchise ...

#2 Posted by TheMierArmy (5699 posts) -

cod fans like cod brah.

#3 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Fans of the franchise are buying it no matter what the reviewers say because they loved the prior games so much. If they are disappointed by Ghosts, some of them won't come back.

Now I'm going to quote a blog I wrote 8 years ago.

Looking at the history of what has succeeded and what has failed, it seems to me that advertising's role is often overstated and that of reputation severely understated. Sales patterns indicate that for the average consumer, reputation (based on direct experience or the word of trusted people) counts for a lot more than advertising.

The two most heavily advertised games in recent history are Tomb Raider and Resident Evil (bear in mind the fact that two major motion pictures were based on each franchise). However, massive ad campaigns failed to reverse the declining sales of TR or the stagnate sales of the RE (in fact both series were more popular before their levels of advertising increased). That sad reality that for years, fans looking for improvement in either series were disappointed negated the impact of advertising.

On a related note, the somewhat disappointing sales of RE4, DMC3 and MGS3 is due to the fact that they were brilliant follow-ups to high-selling, but disappointing games. Strong reviews, great word of mouth and plenty of advertising did not really help any of the aforementioned games because personal experience overrules all other factors for most gamers.

#4 Posted by Flubbbs (3170 posts) -

Activision sold 1 billion worth of COD Ghost into retail.. that doesnt mean they have generated 1 billion in sales to consumers

#5 Edited by Jacanuk (4774 posts) -

@mjorh said:

Call of Duty Ghosts sell-in hits $1 billion ....

Can someone gimme some solid reasons why the hell it sells like this? ! the game is kinda the worst in the history of COD franchise ...

Actually if you cared to read what was said, Activision said it had sold $1 bill to retailers and not to customers. They haven't said how much were sold to the actual customers and also they don't say that some deals with the bigger retailers includes a payforsale clause, so they didn't actually get that in.

This is clearly just a marketing stunt and to compete a bit with the GTA hype.

#6 Edited by Jag85 (4628 posts) -
@Jacanuk said:

@mjorh said:

Call of Duty Ghosts sell-in hits $1 billion ....

Can someone gimme some solid reasons why the hell it sells like this? ! the game is kinda the worst in the history of COD franchise ...

Actually if you cared to read what was said, Activision said it had sold $1 bill to retailers and not to customers. They haven't said how much were sold to the actual customers and also they don't say that some deals with the bigger retailers includes a payforsale clause, so they didn't actually get that in.

This is clearly just a marketing stunt and to compete a bit with the GTA hype.

Wasn't it the same for GTA V though? Almost every company refers to retailer sales rather than consumer sales, simply because it's easier to track retailer sales.

#7 Edited by Jacanuk (4774 posts) -

@Jag85 said:
@Jacanuk said:

@mjorh said:

Call of Duty Ghosts sell-in hits $1 billion ....

Can someone gimme some solid reasons why the hell it sells like this? ! the game is kinda the worst in the history of COD franchise ...

Actually if you cared to read what was said, Activision said it had sold $1 bill to retailers and not to customers. They haven't said how much were sold to the actual customers and also they don't say that some deals with the bigger retailers includes a payforsale clause, so they didn't actually get that in.

This is clearly just a marketing stunt and to compete a bit with the GTA hype.

Wasn't it the same for GTA V though? Almost every company refers to retailer sales rather than consumer sales, simply because it's easier to track retailer sales.

No, also Rockstar is not a company that goes with that kind of PR stunts.

GTA sold 11mill copies in the first 24h to actual customers.

#8 Edited by mjorh (812 posts) -

@Flubbbs and @Jacanuk Thanks for the clarification .

@CarnageHeart Awesome blog ! thanks . The think is since 2009 they keep coming back while there hasn't been any significent improvement in this franchise ....it's jus the goddamn same game over n over again !

#9 Posted by mjorh (812 posts) -

@Jag85 Every game is like this?...i mean whatever we hear about sales it's not the actual sales?

Tbh i don't know much about these stuff....

#10 Posted by Jag85 (4628 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Jag85 said:
@Jacanuk said:

@mjorh said:

Call of Duty Ghosts sell-in hits $1 billion ....

Can someone gimme some solid reasons why the hell it sells like this? ! the game is kinda the worst in the history of COD franchise ...

Actually if you cared to read what was said, Activision said it had sold $1 bill to retailers and not to customers. They haven't said how much were sold to the actual customers and also they don't say that some deals with the bigger retailers includes a payforsale clause, so they didn't actually get that in.

This is clearly just a marketing stunt and to compete a bit with the GTA hype.

Wasn't it the same for GTA V though? Almost every company refers to retailer sales rather than consumer sales, simply because it's easier to track retailer sales.

No, also Rockstar is not a company that goes with that kind of PR stunts.

GTA sold 11mill copies in the first 24h to actual customers.

Sorry, but Rockstar is no different...

And do you have any sources to confirm that 11 million copies of GTA V were sold to actual customers in 24 hours?

#11 Posted by Jag85 (4628 posts) -

@CarnageHeart said:

Fans of the franchise are buying it no matter what the reviewers say because they loved the prior games so much. If they are disappointed by Ghosts, some of them won't come back.

Now I'm going to quote a blog I wrote 8 years ago.

Looking at the history of what has succeeded and what has failed, it seems to me that advertising's role is often overstated and that of reputation severely understated. Sales patterns indicate that for the average consumer, reputation (based on direct experience or the word of trusted people) counts for a lot more than advertising.

The two most heavily advertised games in recent history are Tomb Raider and Resident Evil (bear in mind the fact that two major motion pictures were based on each franchise). However, massive ad campaigns failed to reverse the declining sales of TR or the stagnate sales of the RE (in fact both series were more popular before their levels of advertising increased). That sad reality that for years, fans looking for improvement in either series were disappointed negated the impact of advertising.

On a related note, the somewhat disappointing sales of RE4, DMC3 and MGS3 is due to the fact that they were brilliant follow-ups to high-selling, but disappointing games. Strong reviews, great word of mouth and plenty of advertising did not really help any of the aforementioned games because personal experience overrules all other factors for most gamers.

Interesting how RE4 later went on to reverse its fortunes and become the best-selling RE game of all time, with most of those sales coming from ports and re-releases. It kind of confirms what you said back then about reputation impacting sales.

#12 Edited by Jacanuk (4774 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

Sorry, but Rockstar is no different...

And do you have any sources to confirm that 11 million copies of GTA V were sold to actual customers in 24 hours?

Rockstar is very different than Activision.

Take-two might be a bit the same but so far all i have heard about the GTA sales have been actual numbers.

Also you can check most major sites Forbes, NY times, and the big gaming sites and they all state clearly "sales to customers".

#13 Posted by Anvinash1177 (10 posts) -

@Jag85: http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1856046&highlight= No I don't think many people know the sales it might be just estimation dividing $60 to 800 million

#14 Edited by yukushi (175 posts) -

Come on guys dont drink the kool aid its not selling as well as they had hoped, that is why they posted the amount sold to retailers instead of sold to consumers.

#15 Posted by mjorh (812 posts) -

@yukushi said:

Come on guys dont drink the kool aid its not selling as well as they had hoped, that is why they posted the amount sold to retailers instead of sold to consumers.

Yeah you're goddamn right !

+

You know that ain't fair that a game like GTA V ,which took approximately 5years 2 get ready, gets an almost equal sales with this annually-realesed game....

#16 Posted by SoNin360 (5506 posts) -

Yep, Call of Duty still has a large, dedicated, and mostly casual market out there. No surprises here. Yeah, it's $1B to retailers, so it probably won't break GTAV's $800M or whatever it was to consumers, not that any of that really matters.

#17 Posted by mjorh (812 posts) -

Yeah , quality is not about sales .

+

Jus kidding : http://s15.postimg.org/69dtopgwb/1425797_596074337115712_1353070746_n.jpg

#18 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

And in other news, Michael Bay movies still get watched, Dan Brown novels still get read, and boring music still sells on iTunes.

#19 Posted by mjorh (812 posts) -

@ZZoMBIE13 Yeah it's the nature of ppl...!

#20 Posted by Netret0120 (2212 posts) -

COD is review-proof.

It could get 5/10 and would still sell 10mill plus easily

#21 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

I purchased COD Ghosts and I am by no means a casual.

I also enjoy Michael Bay movies.

I thought the Star Wars prequel trilogy was a lot of fun, my favourite being Episode 1 The Phantom Menace.

I have no issue with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I thought The Dark Knight Rises was a great end to the Nolan Batman trilogy and I even believe Batman Begins to be the best movie in that franchise.

Come at me bro! I could go on and on all day.

#22 Posted by mjorh (812 posts) -

@contracts420 said:

I purchased COD Ghosts and I am by no means a casual.

I also enjoy Michael Bay movies.

I thought the Star Wars prequel trilogy was a lot of fun, my favourite being Episode 1 The Phantom Menace.

I have no issue with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I thought The Dark Knight Rises was a great end to the Nolan Batman trilogy and I even believe Batman Begins to be the best movie in that franchise.

Come at me bro! I could go on and on all day.

Chill out man , we ain't sayin' ALL of'em (those who purchase COD) are casual or sth .....btw, Nolans trilogy is awesome!

You like Twilight ? :D

#23 Edited by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

@mjorh:

I am chill, just having some fun.

But no, no Twilight for me... I need to draw the line somewhere :P Just kidding, haven't seen them so I can't pass judgement.

#24 Edited by mjorh (812 posts) -

@contracts420 said:

@mjorh:

I am chill, just having some fun.

But no, no Twilight for me... I need to draw the line somewhere :P Just kidding, haven't seen them so I can't pass judgement.

:D , so how's CoD Ghost doin' to u?

#25 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2755 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@mjorh said:

Call of Duty Ghosts sell-in hits $1 billion ....

Can someone gimme some solid reasons why the hell it sells like this? ! the game is kinda the worst in the history of COD franchise ...

Actually if you cared to read what was said, Activision said it had sold $1 bill to retailers and not to customers. They haven't said how much were sold to the actual customers and also they don't say that some deals with the bigger retailers includes a payforsale clause, so they didn't actually get that in.

This is clearly just a marketing stunt and to compete a bit with the GTA hype.

This.

I can assure you that this game didn't make 800 million in one day and it won't sell more than GTA V which btw is sitting at 29 million copies right now.

#26 Posted by yukushi (175 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

And in other news, Michael Bay movies still get watched, Dan Brown novels still get read, and boring music still sells on iTunes.

I want to punch michael bay for what he did to transformers.

#27 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@yukushi said:

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

And in other news, Michael Bay movies still get watched, Dan Brown novels still get read, and boring music still sells on iTunes.

I want to punch michael bay for what he did to transformers.

We...

We all do.

We all... want that. *sniffle*

#28 Edited by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

@mjorh:

It's going well actually. The new fluidity of movement adds an extra layer to the gameplay and the map design is probably the most vertical/layered I have seen in the series.

The upgrades made to the Pick 10 system have potential but it's too early to tell if it will be as balanced as what we found in Black Ops 2.

I haven't put much time in but so far I'm enjoying it. I do have a few complaints though like the exclusion of the Mute All button, lack of a Theater mode, no Party games, Create A Emblem, League Play, Codcasting and such.

#29 Edited by SKaREO (3161 posts) -

It's by far the best Call of Duty ever made. I would probably ignore the forum trolls and Battlefield fans and just go and buy it.

#30 Posted by DarthGumballs (194 posts) -

Simple, it's fun. People like to buy video games that are fun, especially ones they can play with all of their friends. You either get it or you don't. I'm a Call of Duty / Madden / FIFA gamer and those releases every year get me more excited than any other kind of game.

#31 Edited by mjorh (812 posts) -

@darthgumballs said:

Simple, it's fun. People like to buy video games that are fun, especially ones they can play with all of their friends. You either get it or you don't. I'm a Call of Duty / Madden / FIFA gamer and those releases every year get me more excited than any other kind of game.

Yeah this is the main reason , it's fun especially when you're playing with ur friends .

@SKaREO said:

It's by far the best Call of Duty ever made. I would probably ignore the forum trolls and Battlefield fans and just go and buy it.

Nah man , No Way! scores shows that it's the worst one , it's impossible 2 compare it with MW1,MW2!

@contracts420 said:

@mjorh:

It's going well actually. The new fluidity of movement adds an extra layer to the gameplay and the map design is probably the most vertical/layered I have seen in the series.

The upgrades made to the Pick 10 system have potential but it's too early to tell if it will be as balanced as what we found in Black Ops 2.

I haven't put much time in but so far I'm enjoying it. I do have a few complaints though like the exclusion of the Mute All button, lack of a Theater mode, no Party games, Create A Emblem, League Play, Codcasting and such.

Thanks,Personally i prefer multiplayer over single player n i believe BF4 with all that compelling gameplay variety n dynamic maps would be my choice .

#32 Edited by PernicioEnigma (5390 posts) -

CoD sells so well for the same reason Justin Bieber sells so many records. I'm not sure what that reason is exactly, but I know the reason is the same...