$1 BILLION ?! Seriously?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Call of Duty Ghosts sell-in hits $1 billion ....

Can someone gimme some solid reasons why the hell it sells like this? ! the game is kinda the worst in the history of COD franchise ...

TheMierArmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheMierArmy
Member since 2003 • 5699 Posts

cod fans like cod brah.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Fans of the franchise are buying it no matter what the reviewers say because they loved the prior games so much. If they are disappointed by Ghosts, some of them won't come back.

Now I'm going to quote a blog I wrote 8 years ago.

Looking at the history of what has succeeded and what has failed, it seems to me that advertising's role is often overstated and that of reputation severely understated. Sales patterns indicate that for the average consumer, reputation (based on direct experience or the word of trusted people) counts for a lot more than advertising.

The two most heavily advertised games in recent history are Tomb Raider and Resident Evil (bear in mind the fact that two major motion pictures were based on each franchise). However, massive ad campaigns failed to reverse the declining sales of TR or the stagnate sales of the RE (in fact both series were more popular before their levels of advertising increased). That sad reality that for years, fans looking for improvement in either series were disappointed negated the impact of advertising.

On a related note, the somewhat disappointing sales of RE4, DMC3 and MGS3 is due to the fact that they were brilliant follow-ups to high-selling, but disappointing games. Strong reviews, great word of mouth and plenty of advertising did not really help any of the aforementioned games because personal experience overrules all other factors for most gamers.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Activision sold 1 billion worth of COD Ghost into retail.. that doesnt mean they have generated 1 billion in sales to consumers

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@mjorh said:

Can someone gimme some solid reasons why the hell it sells like this? ! the game is kinda the worst in the history of COD franchise ...

Actually if you cared to read what was said, Activision said it had sold $1 bill to retailers and not to customers. They haven't said how much were sold to the actual customers and also they don't say that some deals with the bigger retailers includes a payforsale clause, so they didn't actually get that in.

This is clearly just a marketing stunt and to compete a bit with the GTA hype.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#6  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19495 Posts
@Jacanuk said:

@mjorh said:

Actually if you cared to read what was said, Activision said it had sold $1 bill to retailers and not to customers. They haven't said how much were sold to the actual customers and also they don't say that some deals with the bigger retailers includes a payforsale clause, so they didn't actually get that in.

Wasn't it the same for GTA V though? Almost every company refers to retailer sales rather than consumer sales, simply because it's easier to track retailer sales.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jacanuk

@Jag85 said:
@Jacanuk said:

@mjorh said:

Wasn't it the same for GTA V though? Almost every company refers to retailer sales rather than consumer sales, simply because it's easier to track retailer sales.

No, also Rockstar is not a company that goes with that kind of PR stunts.

GTA sold 11mill copies in the first 24h to actual customers.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mjorh

@Flubbbs and @Jacanuk Thanks for the clarification .

@CarnageHeart Awesome blog ! thanks . The think is since 2009 they keep coming back while there hasn't been any significent improvement in this franchise ....it's jus the goddamn same game over n over again !

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mjorh

@Jag85 Every game is like this?...i mean whatever we hear about sales it's not the actual sales?

Tbh i don't know much about these stuff....

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jag85

@Jacanuk said:

@Jag85 said:
@Jacanuk said:

@mjorh said:

No, also Rockstar is not a company that goes with that kind of PR stunts.

GTA sold 11mill copies in the first 24h to actual customers.

Sorry, but Rockstar is no different...

And do you have any sources to confirm that 11 million copies of GTA V were sold to actual customers in 24 hours?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jag85

@CarnageHeart said:

Fans of the franchise are buying it no matter what the reviewers say because they loved the prior games so much. If they are disappointed by Ghosts, some of them won't come back.

Now I'm going to quote a blog I wrote 8 years ago.

Looking at the history of what has succeeded and what has failed, it seems to me that advertising's role is often overstated and that of reputation severely understated. Sales patterns indicate that for the average consumer, reputation (based on direct experience or the word of trusted people) counts for a lot more than advertising.

The two most heavily advertised games in recent history are Tomb Raider and Resident Evil (bear in mind the fact that two major motion pictures were based on each franchise). However, massive ad campaigns failed to reverse the declining sales of TR or the stagnate sales of the RE (in fact both series were more popular before their levels of advertising increased). That sad reality that for years, fans looking for improvement in either series were disappointed negated the impact of advertising.

On a related note, the somewhat disappointing sales of RE4, DMC3 and MGS3 is due to the fact that they were brilliant follow-ups to high-selling, but disappointing games. Strong reviews, great word of mouth and plenty of advertising did not really help any of the aforementioned games because personal experience overrules all other factors for most gamers.

Interesting how RE4 later went on to reverse its fortunes and become the best-selling RE game of all time, with most of those sales coming from ports and re-releases. It kind of confirms what you said back then about reputation impacting sales.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jacanuk

@Jag85 said:

Sorry, but Rockstar is no different...

And do you have any sources to confirm that 11 million copies of GTA V were sold to actual customers in 24 hours?

Rockstar is very different than Activision.

Take-two might be a bit the same but so far all i have heard about the GTA sales have been actual numbers.

Also you can check most major sites Forbes, NY times, and the big gaming sites and they all state clearly "sales to customers".

Anvinash1177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Anvinash1177
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

@Jag85: http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=86428&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1856046&highlight= No I don't think many people know the sales it might be just estimation dividing $60 to 800 million

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

Come on guys dont drink the kool aid its not selling as well as they had hoped, that is why they posted the amount sold to retailers instead of sold to consumers.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mjorh

@yukushi said:

Come on guys dont drink the kool aid its not selling as well as they had hoped, that is why they posted the amount sold to retailers instead of sold to consumers.

Yeah you're goddamn right !

+

You know that ain't fair that a game like GTA V ,which took approximately 5years 2 get ready, gets an almost equal sales with this annually-realesed game....

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#16 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Yep, Call of Duty still has a large, dedicated, and mostly casual market out there. No surprises here. Yeah, it's $1B to retailers, so it probably won't break GTAV's $800M or whatever it was to consumers, not that any of that really matters.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mjorh

Yeah , quality is not about sales .

+

Jus kidding : http://s15.postimg.org/69dtopgwb/1425797_596074337115712_1353070746_n.jpg

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

And in other news, Michael Bay movies still get watched, Dan Brown novels still get read, and boring music still sells on iTunes.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mjorh

@ZZoMBIE13 Yeah it's the nature of ppl...!

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

COD is review-proof.

It could get 5/10 and would still sell 10mill plus easily

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I purchased COD Ghosts and I am by no means a casual.

I also enjoy Michael Bay movies.

I thought the Star Wars prequel trilogy was a lot of fun, my favourite being Episode 1 The Phantom Menace.

I have no issue with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I thought The Dark Knight Rises was a great end to the Nolan Batman trilogy and I even believe Batman Begins to be the best movie in that franchise.

Come at me bro! I could go on and on all day.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mjorh

@contracts420 said:

I purchased COD Ghosts and I am by no means a casual.

I also enjoy Michael Bay movies.

I thought the Star Wars prequel trilogy was a lot of fun, my favourite being Episode 1 The Phantom Menace.

I have no issue with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I thought The Dark Knight Rises was a great end to the Nolan Batman trilogy and I even believe Batman Begins to be the best movie in that franchise.

Come at me bro! I could go on and on all day.

Chill out man , we ain't sayin' ALL of'em (those who purchase COD) are casual or sth .....btw, Nolans trilogy is awesome!

You like Twilight ? :D

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By contracts420

@mjorh:

I am chill, just having some fun.

But no, no Twilight for me... I need to draw the line somewhere :P Just kidding, haven't seen them so I can't pass judgement.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mjorh

@contracts420 said:

@mjorh:

I am chill, just having some fun.

But no, no Twilight for me... I need to draw the line somewhere :P Just kidding, haven't seen them so I can't pass judgement.

:D , so how's CoD Ghost doin' to u?

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@mjorh said:

This.

I can assure you that this game didn't make 800 million in one day and it won't sell more than GTA V which btw is sitting at 29 million copies right now.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

And in other news, Michael Bay movies still get watched, Dan Brown novels still get read, and boring music still sells on iTunes.

I want to punch michael bay for what he did to transformers.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#27 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@yukushi said:

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

I want to punch michael bay for what he did to transformers.

We...

We all do.

We all... want that. *sniffle*

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By contracts420

@mjorh:

It's going well actually. The new fluidity of movement adds an extra layer to the gameplay and the map design is probably the most vertical/layered I have seen in the series.

The upgrades made to the Pick 10 system have potential but it's too early to tell if it will be as balanced as what we found in Black Ops 2.

I haven't put much time in but so far I'm enjoying it. I do have a few complaints though like the exclusion of the Mute All button, lack of a Theater mode, no Party games, Create A Emblem, League Play, Codcasting and such.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

It's by far the best Call of Duty ever made. I would probably ignore the forum trolls and Battlefield fans and just go and buy it.

DarthGumballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30 DarthGumballs
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

Simple, it's fun. People like to buy video games that are fun, especially ones they can play with all of their friends. You either get it or you don't. I'm a Call of Duty / Madden / FIFA gamer and those releases every year get me more excited than any other kind of game.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mjorh

@darthgumballs said:

Simple, it's fun. People like to buy video games that are fun, especially ones they can play with all of their friends. You either get it or you don't. I'm a Call of Duty / Madden / FIFA gamer and those releases every year get me more excited than any other kind of game.

Yeah this is the main reason , it's fun especially when you're playing with ur friends .

@SKaREO said:

It's by far the best Call of Duty ever made. I would probably ignore the forum trolls and Battlefield fans and just go and buy it.

Nah man , No Way! scores shows that it's the worst one , it's impossible 2 compare it with MW1,MW2!

@contracts420 said:

@mjorh:

It's going well actually. The new fluidity of movement adds an extra layer to the gameplay and the map design is probably the most vertical/layered I have seen in the series.

The upgrades made to the Pick 10 system have potential but it's too early to tell if it will be as balanced as what we found in Black Ops 2.

I haven't put much time in but so far I'm enjoying it. I do have a few complaints though like the exclusion of the Mute All button, lack of a Theater mode, no Party games, Create A Emblem, League Play, Codcasting and such.

Thanks,Personally i prefer multiplayer over single player n i believe BF4 with all that compelling gameplay variety n dynamic maps would be my choice .

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

CoD sells so well for the same reason Justin Bieber sells so many records. I'm not sure what that reason is exactly, but I know the reason is the same...