1. Rumors continue about a PS4 VR headset. I hope they are false. The more I think about it, the more I think VR would just wind up being 3D TV all over again (embraced by tech enthusiasts, but there aren't enough of them to make HW successful).
2. The first Japanese PS4 commercial. Looks like rubbing salt in the wound to me.
3. I loved the first NG on the Xbox, but generally speaking I'm not a big Itagaki fan. Surely there are some out there though and those people might like to know that Devil's Third is hitting this year.
4. Kojima has talked a bit about the difference between Ground Zero and Phantom Pain. Sounds like GZ is going to be tiny.
“GZ is both a prologue to the MGSVm story and, at the same time, a tutorial for a new MGS, which transitions to sneaking simulator. With that said, GZ has a relatively small field as compared to the main game (which is hundreds of times larger) without time zones changing in real-time. However, each mission offers different time zones with different playstyles.”
5. Naughty Dog left the door open to an Super HD port of TLOU. I know my brother (Xbox guy the last two generations, got a PS4 this time around) would be there on day 1. If they charge less than full price I'd probably pick it up too.
6. The PS4 has put up huge numbers in the UK (which was a stronghold of the X360). In fairness, the Xbone has also outsold all prior systems, but the PS4 has outsold the Xbone by 50%.
PS4 and Xbox One posted incredible sales figures in the UK, with Sony coming out on top.
PlayStation 4 has sold 530,000 units in the UK in just five weeks, according to ERA (using Chart-Track data), while Xbox One has sold 364,000 units. It's a significant gap between the two competitors, although both numbers are significantly higher than any previous console launch.
7. KZ Shadowfall is going to be on the PS4 at launch in Japan. They are offering some exclusive skins for the Japanese market. Honestly, I've seen lots of drones, but never noticed any wearing exclusive skins.
8. NBA2K 14 is having some serious online problems in no small part due to stupid decisions by 2K. I played one online game and the experience was absolutely horrible. I was convinced the other guy was using a lag switch or something, but it sounds like 2K is just that bad at online.
Why 2K requires singleplayer career mode progress to be verified online by the 2K Sports servers is so far unexplained. It likely has to do with Virtual Currency, which is the cash gamers use to do all sorts of things across all of the game's modes, online and offline. This is the other new "feature" of NBA 2K14 the so many longtime fans find frustrating, and it will linger even once (if) the online problems are fixed. Virtual currency was introduced last year in NBA 2K13 but it is much more aggressively implemented in the PS4/Xbox One version of the game.
8. A few new screenshots of Deep Down surfaced recently. Unfortunately, I can't post screenshots here at Glitchspot, but they are at the link below.
9. Planetside 2 (which is hitting the PS4 next year) will boast graphics equivalent to those of the Ultra settings of the PC version.
Sony is bringing its popular MMO Planetside 2 to the PlayStation 4 early next year. And while we’ve previously heard that Planetside 2 graphics would be very close to the PC version, Sony’s Matt Higby has now confirmed that the graphics will be as good as the “Ultra” setting on PC.
10. PS4 owners (and Xbone owners) will be able to should and wave at Tomb Raider in order to control menus. Or they could use the dpad, live cavemen do.
11. Guerilla Cambridge (Killzone Mercenary) is working on a PS4 game.
12. Here is some gameplay footage of My Alien Buddy, free DLC which hit the free Playroom the day before Christmas. Its easy on the eyes and fun to mess around with in small doses, but very simple (like the Playroom).