Why did the GameCube not sell well in the U.S?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Radiata_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Radiata_Blue
Member since 2006 • 250 Posts

The last figures I checked said that GC sold about 22 million units in the U.S, putting it just behind the Xbox which had about 24-25 million units sold. Why didn't the GC do better in the U.S marketplace (even though 22 million isn't that bad)

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
lack of good games
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I think people had a bit of a sour taste in their mouthes from the N64 days and how the PS1 basically dominated. Well, that's one reason. Third-party support was more in favour of Sony and Microsoft.
xXHackettXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 xXHackettXx
Member since 2006 • 3560 Posts
No third party support, no real online games, and the image of the kiddy cube.
CPM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 CPM_basic
Member since 2002 • 4247 Posts
Waiting a year between good games sucked... literally a YEAR! crappy online, crappy games (besides SSBM).
SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts

I think people had a bit of a sour taste in their mouthes from the N64 days and how the PS1 basically dominated. Well, that's one reason. Third-party support was more in favour of Sony and Microsoft.bluezy

Leafs suck Go Sens!

on topic: Lack of 3rd party support would be my guess

rjnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rjnight
Member since 2005 • 153 Posts

Did not have the games... it had some awesome games, RE4... umm Zelda: windwaker, SSBM... metroid's... umm did I say RE4?

Just didn't have the games...

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts
No DVD, small discs (some games in japan were on to discs), not enough games that appealled to a wide enough audience. Also it was purple.
Ugotownedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ugotownedo
Member since 2007 • 442 Posts
It's not that the cube sucked, but that the competition was much better. Sure, the cube had some great game (most of which were first party), but the PS2 has even better games. And the Xbox had Live. But overall, the cube's image was very bad. Come on, a purple lunch box? Even Nintendo fanboys would have to agree that was pretty gay
flynow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 flynow
Member since 2006 • 148 Posts

Why did the GameCube not sell well in the U.S?

1. Very limited online play.

2. It was thought of as the kiddie console.

3. Lack of decent third party support aside from EA Games, Namco, THQ, and a couple others.

4. The PS2 was already out with backwards compatibility for its PS one games.

5. The Xbox was seen as a fresh breath and a chance to really take console game online.

Now, reasons why I've bought at least five Gamecubes....

1. The games were above all fun and entertaining.

2. The FIFA soccer series ran from 2002-2007 and the Gamecube versions were excellent overall.

3. I liked the controller a lot.

4. The Gameboy Player was an unexpected bonus.

5. The component cables gave the games a crisp and more focused look.

6. The first party games were amazing: Metroid Prime, Legend of Zelda, Animal Crossing, etc.

7. I was happy to see remakes of Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid which are superior to the originals.

8. I could play updated versions of Sega Dreamcast games like PSO and Skies of Arcadida which I never had.

9. There was always a next game, like Resi4, or a used unheard of game that I was looking forward to getting for the system.

10. Nintendo has always delivered quality gaming and the Gamecube was no exception. It was just overlooked and I like the underdog.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
No online play, no 3rd party support, "kiddie" stereotype, and lack of casual appeal (casuals didn't want games like Mario Party; they wanted GTA similar violent games).
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts
Unfortunately the Gamecube "Sucked Ass" The system was alright in function, The graphics second only to Xbox. The controller sound. But the "look, color and name of the system. Doomed it. Even though the gamecube had a game library as large as the " fabled "NES. The weren't that many outstanding games. Nintendo's Worst selling videogame console out of the Five. I didn't mind the gamecube and had 80 games in my collection. But in the end Gamecube didn't make an impact. I ended up defecting to Mircosoft.
rockstar_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 rockstar_88
Member since 2005 • 1253 Posts
Personally I had more fun with the Gamecube than I am having fun right now with the Wii. But that's just me.
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
lack of good gamesOfficialBed
Actually I have around 25 AAA good games, its just that they did not come at a good enough flow over the 5 year life or whatever. And the 25 AAA games that I have as a gamer, more casuals would prolly only be interested in around 5-10 of them at most. Personally though, I think it had a lot more to do with the image of the console as a kiddy console, 3rd party support was terrible, no online, ect...
armyboy2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 armyboy2100
Member since 2007 • 92 Posts
Everyone was so hyped up about xbox and halo. there was also a lack of good games for the gc.
hazuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 hazuki
Member since 2003 • 3959 Posts

Mostly, because 3rd party games were bad on the system. While it was more powerful than the ps2, it performed worse in some games. Splinter cell: pandora tomorrow was trash on it. Ever play star wars jedi knight 2: jedi outcast on the gamecube AND pc? Its like night and day.

This is the same with this generation on the wii, but at least the wii has been coming out with good 1st party games every year so far. On the gamecube, you had launch games, metroid prime 1 and 2, and wind waker. That was basically it for great exclusive 1st party games. Plus, the default purple color scheme many found childish.

pppjjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pppjjj
Member since 2004 • 1094 Posts
It's not that the cube sucked, but that the competition was much better. Sure, the cube had some great game (most of which were first party), but the PS2 has even better games. And the Xbox had Live. But overall, the cube's image was very bad. Come on, a purple lunch box? Even Nintendo fanboys would have to agree that was pretty gayUgotownedo
i got to agree lmao
RockHardNuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RockHardNuts
Member since 2006 • 89 Posts
Total Lack of third party support. Maybe people just didn't like it? I gotta say, I love(d) my Gamecube, esp. since it was only $99
GEMINIVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GEMINIVice
Member since 2007 • 1139 Posts

Most of the negative things said in this thread is exactly the way I felt true about the GameCube. In turn, I drifted to Sony.

onequarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 onequarter
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
It wasn't for lack of good games. I think it was released at a time where games like grand theft auto, halo, and final fantasy X really showed how next gen power could make fresh new experiences. It also didnt help that nintendo often focused on gimmicks like game boy advance connectivity, and made the controlllers impossible to use with certain genres of games, like fighting games.
SuperAgentZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SuperAgentZero
Member since 2007 • 476 Posts
Because it didn't have enough third party support
trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
It didnt sell well because of the lack of online support which the ps2 and xbox had (only 2 or 3 games actually went online) , the capacaty of the discs can only hold up about a GB of data (ps2 and xbox had at least 4GB of data), it was always pictured as a kiddie console
power-baron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 power-baron
Member since 2002 • 889 Posts

Ok the ignorance in this thread is exactly why the Cube didn't do as good as it could have.

The Gamecube most certainly had quality games and plenty of them. As many as the PS2? no but it did have them and in fact I would say the Cubes library complemented the PS2 in every way. The xbox was the real pos that generation. Wake the **** up people.

Xbox had better graphics? Take the fanboy goggles off and see the truth, not one, NOT ONE xbox game ever did anything better. There where some pretty xbox games yes but to say they were beyond the cube is just a false statement. North america's narrow and ignorant view put down a system that could have given a lot more.

Oh and to the idiot above who said the gc lacked DVD. the GC used mini-DVD's. I bought a game console for Games, not to make toast or watch movies.

God you people piss me off sometimes with this stupidity.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#25 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
Because it was the worst system ever. The Gamecube was such an inconvinent shape and had to good games. It was terrible.
Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 Cronaroth
Member since 2004 • 3011 Posts

Ok the ignorance in this thread is exactly why the Cube didn't do as good as it could have.

The Gamecube most certainly had quality games and plenty of them. As many as the PS2? no but it did have them and in fact I would say the Cubes library complemented the PS2 in every way. The xbox was the real pos that generation. Wake the **** up people.

Xbox had better graphics? Take the fanboy goggles off and see the truth, not one, NOT ONE xbox game ever did anything better. There where some pretty xbox games yes but to say they were beyond the cube is just a false statement. North america's narrow and ignorant view put down a system that could have given a lot more.

Oh and to the idiot above who said the gc lacked DVD. the GC used mini-DVD's. I bought a game console for Games, not to make toast or watch movies.

God you people piss me off sometimes with this stupidity.

power-baron

Riddick says hi. So does STranger's Wrath and Conker. Xbox was clearly more powerful and the GC complimented either one well.
Avatar image for GoldenSilence87
GoldenSilence87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 GoldenSilence87
Member since 2004 • 1047 Posts
Someone said waiting a year or so for good games...that about sums it up. Anyone remember the delays for Twilight Princess? Esentially 2 years or so, not to mention Nintendo lost Factor5 and Rare...which in turn killed any chance of a great M rated first party game.
WeAreVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WeAreVenom
Member since 2005 • 79 Posts

Lack of Third-Party support.

And, it should have come with a Wavebird instead of a wired controller?

jstarzyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 jstarzyk
Member since 2004 • 3507 Posts
lack of good gamesOfficialBed
I think that was mostly it... I happened to love the GC more than my PS2, but the PS2 had better single player titles and XBox had online play. I think there was also a perception that GC graphics were not as good as the other two systems.
ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30  Edited By ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

Indeed, very gay. Oops, this is 2015. That isn't politically correct anymore.

@Ugotownedo said:
It's not that the cube sucked, but that the competition was much better. Sure, the cube had some great game (most of which were first party), but the PS2 has even better games. And the Xbox had Live. But overall, the cube's image was very bad. Come on, a purple lunch box? Even Nintendo fanboys would have to agree that was pretty gay

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#31 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

Necro thread. Please feel free to create a new discussion.