Radiata_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Radiata_Blue
Member since 2006 • 250 Posts
Was anyone else kind of dissapointed in the offering of Crystal Chronicles as the first Nintendo FF game since FF VI way back on the SNES? To me it just didn't feel like much of a FF game, but maybe I am judging it too harshly. Did anyone else have a problem with this game? or did people enjoy it and have fun with it? (in spite of the wacky GBA multiplayer thing)
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
As a single player game it got boring pretty quickly but with friends it was a really fun experience. I still play every now and then.
Zulgaines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zulgaines
Member since 2003 • 9750 Posts
Ridiculous hardware requirements ruined what could of been my favorite GameCube MP game. I never even manged to get the crap needed for multi-player.
diamond2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 diamond2d
Member since 2007 • 750 Posts
Yep a Major, bt multi. was good;)
Avatar image for battalionwars13
battalionwars13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 battalionwars13
Member since 2007 • 1264 Posts
omg that game sucked so bad..i had to sell it back (couldnt return it cuz u cant return used items after a week)
SuperMario_46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6 SuperMario_46
Member since 2006 • 4960 Posts
That game is garbage, it gave me a bad first impression on what's supposed to be a great franchise.
Blommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blommen
Member since 2003 • 1337 Posts
I liked the artstyle but overall it sucked, plain and simple.
Nick-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nick-42
Member since 2006 • 1786 Posts

As a single player game it got boring pretty quickly but with friends it was a really fun experience. I still play every now and then.forgot_it

Ditto.

SauceCaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SauceCaptain
Member since 2004 • 1273 Posts
It could have been great if it wasn't for the GBA. What were they thinking? I NEVER got to play it with 4 people so it was greatlydissapointing for me.
ArmoredAshes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 ArmoredAshes
Member since 2005 • 4025 Posts

i lost interest in it pretty quick

Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Revelade
Member since 2005 • 1862 Posts

If people accept it for what it was, instead of what they wanted it to be, then they would see that it did what it set out to accomplish.

It gives you the customizability of a MMO game in a same-screen form.

You get to make your own character, the race, the clothes and the job.

You get to choose which dungeons to go to.

The joy of the game comes from going to dungeons to collect material, then forming items with enough ingredients.

Once you become strong enough, you beat the boss, then... collect more items. Sort of like Diablo 2 I suppose.

It's good for a RPG. Great graphics, thematic music, character customization, tons of items to collect and real-time combat.

I wish people would actually give reasons why they don't like the game other than whining that they can't afford GBAs.

Brad__hh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Brad__hh
Member since 2007 • 286 Posts
yeah pretty much.
Radiata_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Radiata_Blue
Member since 2006 • 250 Posts

You make some valid points here and I agree with some of them. For me it was more of a dissapointment due to the fact that it was such a departure from the previously established mold of an FF game. It did what it was designed to do quite well which is as you point out give you more customization oover your character and offer up a fun and unique combat system but for a game that bears the Final Fantasy title and designation I was expecting a more highly evolved and developed story and characters asopposed to a glorified dungeon crawl.I guess what I'm trying to say is that it might have been a great game on its own merits, but when viewed in the vein of the history and legacy left by previous games in the series, it seemed like it didn't have enough of those classic and reputable elements that give you that feeling of wonder and excitement that the series is known for.

If people accept it for what it was, instead of what they wanted it to be, then they would see that it did what it set out to accomplish.

The joy of the game comes from going to dungeons to collect material, then forming items with enough ingredients.

Once you become strong enough, you beat the boss, then... collect more items. Sort of like Diablo 2 I suppose.

It's good for a RPG. Great graphics, thematic music, character customization, tons of items to collect and real-time combat.

I wish people would actually give reasons why they don't like the game other than whining that they can't afford GBAs.

Revelade
Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts

Ridiculous hardware requirements ruined what could of been my favorite GameCube MP game. I never even manged to get the crap needed for multi-player.Zulgaines

What he said. I played it by myself and it was fun for a while... but would of been awesome with others playing with me.

I never got around to playing with anyone else since no one I knew had a Gameboy. :(

flux_dA3m0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 flux_dA3m0n
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Yes, I hated in the longrun. A gave it a looong try, for almost the whole game (atleast I think it may have been it). It was just so boring, characters only have a few animations and its the same thing over and over again.
ryancamcam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ryancamcam
Member since 2007 • 1558 Posts

I didnt like it much, mainly cause i got stuck about 2 hours in.

I never knew it had a multiplaer mode :S

Zulgaines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Zulgaines
Member since 2003 • 9750 Posts

I wish people would actually give reasons why they don't like the game other than whining that they can't afford GBAs.Revelade

That's the main thing people didn't like about it, and why are you making it sound like we shouldn't be complains about the fact that a games best feature requires buying or owning a $10 link cable + an $80-120(Depending on when you bought the game) Gameboy Advanced per person playing?

Whaa Whaa, I don't go outside and burn my money on a regular bases.

zeldafan00013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 zeldafan00013
Member since 2004 • 6575 Posts
I never made it past the first boss i just thought it was so horrible and i purchased it two times both times used both times i returned it.
Jonny_ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Jonny_ramone
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts
yeah the game just sucked completely
flintgijoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 flintgijoe
Member since 2004 • 1954 Posts

Revelade

Here is a reason: No fun single player. Or not very fun at all.

Here is another reason: Hard to achieve multiplayer. Let me use my 4 GC controls!!!!!!!

Oh look, another reason: Poor story for an RPG...

I really wanted to like CC. It just didn't cut it, with poor single player and inaccesable multiplayer.

Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Revelade

The reason I don't respect the opinions that use the "I can't afford it" is because it has nothing to do with the game.

It's as if I brought my drunk self to the 360 forums and yelled Gears of War sucks just because I can't afford it. Or World of Warcraft sucks because I don't have the credit card for it.

Saying something sucks because you haven't tried it... that's making statements without reason - which is stupid.

If you were to say something like, playing multiplayer sucks because downtime can be LONG actually lets me know something bad about it. But again, enough with the "Ferrari sucks because I can't afford it." argument.

No fun singleplayer, nice reason... NOT. That's the opinion. Now actually give me a reason.

Poor story? I'd have to disagree. The story was about a meteor that crashed onto the land. And from this hunk of rock came a parasite that slowly began to infect the land. The air became poisoned and countless lives had been lost. People sought a cure before this gas would swallow the world. Then they found crystals that absorbed the toxins of the air with their purity. However, the crystals needed to be replenished annually. The only way was to gather myrhh droplets in the heart of dungeons where the elusive myrrh tree grows (why they couldn't plant a tree in their towns, I don't know).

One day two travelers decided they would forsake their homelands and seek a final solution to this problem. One would be Esla a Lilty warrior and his friend, Hurdy a priest. They found their way to the crash site of the meteor. They sought to defeat the monster once and for all. But another being named Raem appeared. The more they fought, the more they became confused. In the end they were defeated. Somehow Hurdy and Esla got away with their lives, but they had lost something far more valuable... their memories.

The black knight was known as a warrior who attacked anyone, while Hurdy degenerated into a homeless traveler. With their memories gone, they became mindless souls wandering the land... Then you come in as the new guy. You see this happening to them. You travel towns and talk to people. You go through dungeons and claim artifacts.

To the contrary their is a story and a good one at that. Yet many seem to miss it.

I don't see FF:CC worse than any other RPG, but it does something different by offering multiplayer - an exceptional one at that.

Ratsub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ratsub
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I think the last time I had as much fun with more than just myself playing an RPG was Secret of Mana with the MultiTap back in the day. The multiplayer in FF:CC was the icing on the cake of an already solid, fun game.

flintgijoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 flintgijoe
Member since 2004 • 1954 Posts

The reason I don't respect the opinions that use the "I can't afford it" is because it has nothing to do with the game.

It's as if I brought my drunk self to the 360 forums and yelled Gears of War sucks just because I can't afford it. Or World of Warcraft sucks because I don't have the credit card for it.

Saying something sucks because you haven't tried it... that's making statements without reason - which is stupid.

If you were to say something like, playing multiplayer sucks because downtime can be LONG actually lets me know something bad about it. But again, enough with the "Ferrari sucks because I can't afford it." argument.

No fun singleplayer, nice reason... NOT. That's the opinion. Now actually give me a reason.

Poor story? I'd have to disagree. The story was about a meteor that crashed onto the land. And from this hunk of rock came a parasite that slowly began to infect the land. The air became poisoned and countless lives had been lost. People sought a cure before this gas would swallow the world. Then they found crystals that absorbed the toxins of the air with their purity. However, the crystals needed to be replenished annually. The only way was to gather myrhh droplets in the heart of dungeons where the elusive myrrh tree grows (why they couldn't plant a tree in their towns, I don't know).

One day two travelers decided they would forsake their homelands and seek a final solution to this problem. One would be Esla a Lilty warrior and his friend, Hurdy a priest. They found their way to the crash site of the meteor. They sought to defeat the monster once and for all. But another being named Raem appeared. The more they fought, the more they became confused. In the end they were defeated. Somehow Hurdy and Esla got away with their lives, but they had lost something far more valuable... their memories.

The black knight was known as a warrior who attacked anyone, while Hurdy degenerated into a homeless traveler. With their memories gone, they became mindless souls wandering the land... Then you come in as the new guy. You see this happening to them. You travel towns and talk to people. You go through dungeons and claim artifacts.

To the contrary their is a story and a good one at that. Yet many seem to miss it.

I don't see FF:CC worse than any other RPG, but it does something different by offering multiplayer - an exceptional one at that.

Revelade

About afording it... Fair enough. I'm sure that if I had all the GBA's and got people together to play the game, it would have been a blast. But just like Kung Fu Chaos for Xbox, great multiplayer doesn't mean that the single player is any good at all.

Also, the fact remans that for most people buying Final Fantasy CC, they will be limited to the single player. As a single player experience, the game is very poor. In all fairness, the game was designed for multiplayer, so the weak single player isn't a surprise.

Why is the single player weak?

*It's repetetive.

*Poor story. It has a very light uninvolved story in the background. The game is an RPG, but the game really isn't about the story. It is more a dungeon raid game. The world they created is interesting. The premis is interesting. It is dissapointing that the game doesn't really go anywhere with it for too long... It just isn't a linear story based game. It is more like a select a dungeon crawlathon.

*The dificulty doesn't scale wll throughout. Starts hard, gets crazy easy.

*The combat is weak. The charactes don't progress much as in learning more abilities, combos etc... Many Magic attacks require multiplayer. Etc.

*You don't get to keep most of what you find in dungeons.

When you put it all together, the game just isn't very compelling to play single player. I love the art style, the character designs, the Boss designs. I just wish the game came together to offer a better single player experience.

So yeah, great multiplayer, bad single player. And the multiplayer is extra hard to achieve because it requires for some bizarre reason that you use GBA's with GC to GBA cables, instead of your extra GC controlers. A solid 8.0 from Gamespot, so don't let me get you too down on it.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
it got a little repetative in the end.
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 165

#25 zh666
Member since 2005 • 5068 Posts

*The dificulty doesn't scale wll throughout. Starts hard, gets crazy easy.

flintgijoe

i thought the end was crazy hard

Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Revelade

As a singleplayer experience, I see it no different from a game like Diablo 2.

Repetitive... hmm... going into dungeons, slashing at monsters for items or leveling up. How is this any different from any RPG out there? When you play RPGs, you EXPECT to fight mindless battles all the time. No surprise for me.

Story. Like I said above, there IS one. I happen to find it interesting. You meet characters that you initially shrug off as bad guys or losers. Then you find out their pasts and realize something terrible had happened to them. I enjoyed the story of the game.

I found the difficulty to work well. As long as you keep your gear updated and collect enough artifacts you will do fine. If you are fairly weak, just farm dungeons for artifacts. Solved.

Combat is weak? Pokemon, a million+ selling series keeps going with its traditional attack, run and item menus. The combat is fine. If you have any complaints about combat, complain about RPGs. What are you doing in Diablo 2? Slashing at monsters. What do you do in World of Warcraft? Slash at monsters. Skies of Arcadia? Slash at monsters. Repetition isn't FF:CC's fault. Blame that on RPGs as a whole.

Characters progress in terms of statistics and that is accomplished by making items that do certain things. Some swords have focus attacks that jump at enemies. Some swords shoot stuff as their focus attack. It's quite different.

You don't get to keep everything in the dungeon, so the dungeon keeps getting played. Just pick the best ones or split them amongst your team.

I liked the game. My only gripes was that the game could be slow. Slow as it can take a while to move from dungeon to town to dungeon thanks to the caravan screen. It especially bogs down when you have 4 players in a town fooling around... But yea, it has great visuals, music, customizability, choices as to where you want to go... Repetitive gameplay? Blame RPGs for this one again. I see fighting in FF:CC no different than slashing at every monster in Diablo 2 or fighting every Pokemon in Pokemon. At least FF:CC takes combat in real-time, not turn-based rooms.

zpxkjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 zpxkjp
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts
I only played it at a friends house but i thought it was pretty good.
Ork_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Ork_Hero
Member since 2004 • 531 Posts
If you can get four friends with a GBA plus the links to the cube, then it was the nintendo's version of baldur's gate/diablo :)
KratosKratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KratosKratos
Member since 2005 • 203 Posts
If you can get four friends with a GBA plus the links to the cube, then it was the nintendo's version of baldur's gate/diablo :)Ork_Hero
Yeah. Its alot funner when your playing with 4 people.
Basil-Culex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Basil-Culex
Member since 2007 • 71 Posts
Not really a let down , but could of been better.