Tips for Gamespot Gamecube Forum Posters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for godsgroovygamer
godsgroovygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 godsgroovygamer
Member since 2003 • 5933 Posts

In an attempt to bring back a high level of thread quality, I'd like to give a few tips.

1. Read and follow the Terms of Service.

Terms of Service linkified.

2. Revolution Discussion now has its own board.

Revolution Board
The above board is made just for discussion of the successor to the Gamecube, the Nintendo Revolution. Please take all Revolution discussion to this board.

3. There are way too many empty Zelda GCN posts.

I'm sure we are all very excited about the new Zelda game! I know I am. However, all that's been seen are two short trailers. No one has seen anything else. I'm sure it's going to be a good game, but really we don't know anything until we play it. Try to lay off making a ton of Zelda threads asking for new information or just saying it's going to be a good game. You will know when there is new information. It'll be all over GS. If you make a Zelda post that is well thought out, intelligent, there to provoke a good discussion, whatever, that's fine, as long as it's a good post. If you just want to talk about Zelda, go to the Everything Zelda Board.

4. Spelling is a good thing.

I know it's easier to type "u" instead of you, or "r" instead of are, but you sound more intelligent if you use proper grammar and spelling. It's ok to misspell sometimes, we all do it. Just try to keep it down, and type out full versions of words, not abbreviated forms. Exceptions include, lol, rofl, stuff like that.

5. The PS2 and XBOX are good consoles.

Both have good games. If you don't like them, have a reason. Don't just say they suck for the sake of saying it. That stuff belongs in System Wars.

6. Respect other forumites game choices and opinions.

Some people may like different games than you do. I, for one, can't stand The Sims. Does that mean I think people who like these games are idiots? No. They just like something I don't. Not everyone is going to like what you like. Just because your tastes are different, don't flame people for their choices. If someone likes games you think are "kiddy," so what? What if you think the Matrix games suck, but a diehard Matrix fan likes them? They are having more fun playing the games then you're having fun complaining about them, I'll gaurantee that! Different strokes for different folks. Opinions are based on a persons idvidual taste, and eveyone has them. Respect the opinions of others. Opinions, as they are not fact, cannot be wrong.

7. Check previous threads before making a new topic.

Lets say you have something to say about online gaming, and you want to make a new topic. Before this is done, please check the first two pages of the forum to make sure there isn't already a thread about it. There shouldn't be more than one thread on any given topic. Most likely discussion will be better if consolidated to one thread, and there's no reason to clutter the boards with several threads on the same topic. ONE THREAD PER TOPIC PLEASE, and if you aren't answered immedietly DON'T REPOST. Just wait.

8. STOP THE SMASH BROS. POSTS!

There have been at least 77 trillion posts about which characters would be good for the next Smash Bros. game. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not make this topic again!

9. Post only when you have something to say.

Don't make a post because you can or because you want to increase your post count; post only when you have something to say. Most likely, all one word posts would fall under this topic.

This I stole from a post by Mailer_Daemon, hope you don't mind.

Forum Issues
First off, let me say that I have nothing against newbies on the forums; we were all once those and there's nothing wrong with that. However, what's happening right now is that people are posting without reading to see if a similar topic is already there, people are asking questions about specific games that aren't even on that board's console, and there are tons of fanboys who have a tinge of System Wars in many of their posts. Also, the boards are being cluttered with tons of spam as a result of all of this.

Advice for new users
To anyone who would consider themselves new to the forums, please re-read the Terms of Service that you agreed to when you signed on to the boards. No one is against having fun on the forums, but please be civil about it. Never post in all caps unless if you have a point to make by doing that, use the PM system if you have a question to ask a single person, and never call a person an idiot nor flame them in any other way (with the exception of the System Wars board). The latter point is the most severe that I have noticed in the past few weeks, as there have been too many "U R an idiot" or similar posts as a response for someone's question or in the event of a person being somewhat misinformed. Be aware that this is considered by many to be a flame, and as any mod will tell you, repeat offenses can result in a ban from posting.

Well, that's it. Don't take this the wrong way, either. Just trying to help make the GC forum the best forum out there. If you have any additions for this post, please PM me and I may add them. Happy posting, everyone! :)