SauceCaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SauceCaptain
Member since 2004 • 1273 Posts
Looking back now there were actually lots of great RPGs for the gamecube. Whats the best of the bunch?
Tomogos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Tomogos
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I enjoyed Tales Of Symphonia
yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 yakk_3
Member since 2005 • 1442 Posts
I wouldn't say the GC was the greatest platform for RPG's. The main 3 I played were ToS, Paper Mario: TTYD, and Baten Kaitos. Of those, the order goes: 1. Paper Mario 2. Tales of Symphonia 3. Baten Kaitos
Ms_Lockheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ms_Lockheart
Member since 2005 • 147 Posts

there really were hardly any RPG's for the Gamecube. the PS2 had a whole lot though.

my favorite was definitely Tales of Symphonia, but i've never played Beaten Kaitos.

Uchiha_Sasuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Uchiha_Sasuke1
Member since 2002 • 1636 Posts

Its a tie between Paper mario and TOS. Thats what i think

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Tales of Symphonia, and Skies of Arcadia Legends
white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#8 white_sox
Member since 2006 • 17442 Posts
I didn't play too many rpgs on the cube, but Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is worth much more than the $5 it will cost you at EBgames.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
its more of a strategy rpg, but fire emblem was really good.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Paper Mario: TTYD
skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#11 skreetpreacha
Member since 2005 • 877 Posts
I somewhat enjoyed ToS, and enjoyed Paper Mario a little more, even though it was alot of reading and slower paced. Both were good and decent, but there were no "superb" RPGs for the GC IMHO. (like the FF series on the PS2)
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

There are barely any GC RPGs... my favorite would be Tales of Symphonia though.

Avatar image for battalionwars13
battalionwars13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 battalionwars13
Member since 2007 • 1264 Posts

Paper Mario: TTYDRocky32189

agreed

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ninten007
Member since 2005 • 3129 Posts
For me, Paper Mario TTYD, Fire Emblem PoR, Baten Kaitos 1 and 2. Gladius.
Nova_Mongoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 Nova_Mongoose
Member since 2004 • 2261 Posts

Without a doubt. Tales of Symphonia

It was as good as FF and had great artistic graphics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts
Paper Mario. I can't tell you how many times I've played it and enjoy it immensely each time.
Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#17 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts

Tales of Symphoinia is the best

Paper Mario is a great game, you should definitely not miss it

Baten kaitos is pretty good too

Skies of arcadia is good

Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Revelade
Member since 2005 • 1862 Posts

I have 2 cube RPGs. They are Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles and Phantasy Star Online Episode I and II.

They are different.

PSO12 is a simple hack and slash for items and level game. You repeat the SAME levels everytime you reset the game.

FFCC is more interesting. You go into dungeons yes, but you get to CHOOSE which levels to play as. And the items do not simply drop on the ground. Instead, item ingredients are found and must be forged at blacksmiths to be made into items.

PSO12 lets you choose 3 main classes and 4 subclasses for a total of 12 selections. From that, you get to choose the weight proportion and suit color and your set.

In FFCC however, you only have 4 classes. They each specialize in a different area. Then you choose their outfits, their gender and the job.

I think FF:CC handles playing with friends better. You share the same screen, so the screen is bigger. Graphics are very detailed. The item/material system makes trading important. Each player uses a specific map to help the team in a unique way.

PSO... As a team game, you use split screen. It works, but you really don't cooperate, other than just being in the same team.

What PSO does interestingly is go online. If you have the game and a modem and internet, you're set.

So I really have to judge these games on different levels. FFCC is an awesome cooperative game that looks great. PSO is a game that is deep with the items and you get to take it online.

Tohru_Readman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Tohru_Readman
Member since 2006 • 450 Posts

1. Tales of Symphonia

2. Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance (which I know is more strategy)

3. Paper Mario

4. Baten Kaitos

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Funkyhamster
I would have liked Paper Mario TTYD a lot more if not for the endgame... you know, the last "dungeon" and final boss fight. Without spoiling anything, it seemed totally out of character with the rest of the game.
Darkness-zora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darkness-zora
Member since 2007 • 336 Posts
i liked skies of arciadia, paper mario and fire emblem
Avatar image for Bliind-Guardian
Bliind-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bliind-Guardian
Member since 2006 • 738 Posts
Tales of Symphonia is the best one, ive spent over 200 hours playing it without gettin' bored :D and a new ToS coming!!! i think its called Tales of Symphonia Knight of Ratatosk... or something like it :P
redfield_137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 redfield_137
Member since 2005 • 2269 Posts
I really enjoyed Tales of Symphonia.
WiiRokkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WiiRokkz
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts

Tomogos

Totally agreed

Cypher_VR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cypher_VR
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts
I played it on the dreamcast but i favored the phantasy star online i have paper mario ttyd, and FF:cc my fav RPG for the gamecube - Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2 Plus Favorite RPG of all time currently is split - Super Mario RPG/Earthbound
Jonny_ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jonny_ramone
Member since 2007 • 133 Posts
i really liked skys of arcadia that was a good game it didnt just end really quick like rpgs that are announced with realease date but without a realease date they could end it however they wanted without having to cram the ending in say 1 hour of play time if u get what im saying:P
SauceCaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SauceCaptain
i really liked skys of arcadia that was a good game it didnt just end really quick like rpgs that are announced with realease date but without a realease date they could end it however they wanted without having to cram the ending in say 1 hour of play time if u get what im saying:PJonny_ramone
?
SauceCaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SauceCaptain
So far it seems that TOS is the fan favorite with paper mario second in votes and a handfull of others with a few votes each.
SauceCaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SauceCaptain
A few people have said that the cube didn't have manny RPGs, but that is only half true. Last gen I had a cube and xbox and found that the cube had far better rpgs then the xbox at least, but just didn't have nearly as manny RPGs as the PS2. My friend had a PS2 and I played most of the good RPGs on the system and they're not any better then the good RPGs that gamecube has. I guess the impression that the gamecube doesn't have manny RPGs comes from them being low profile games. Most of them never had any advertising of any kind and got limited releases, so I'll go make a list of all the gamecube RPGs just in case anybody is interested in checking them out.
SauceCaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SauceCaptain

Got this list from IGN, if I missed anything please add it. E means exclusive.

Action RPG = x-men legends, x-men legends II, Digimon World 4, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles-E, Mega Man Network Transmission-E, Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance, Chronicles of Narnia, King Arthur,

Card RPG = Baiten Kaitos-E, Baiten Kaitos Origins-E, PhantasyStar Online Episode III C.A.R.D-E., Lost Kingdoms-E, Lost Kingdoms II-E,

Fighting RPG=Virtua Quest

Strategy =Fire Emblem-E, Futue Tactics: Uprising, Gladius

RPG = Pokemon XD-E, Lord Of The Rings the Third Age, Paper Mario-E, Mega Man X, Tales Of Symphonia-E, Evolution Worlds-E, Skies of Arcadia Legends,-E Pantasy Star Online Episode I and II-E, Summoner a Goddess Reborn-E,

Baldurs Gate, Chronicles of Narnia, and King Arthur are considered to be Action games by many, but they all have enough RPG elements to be counted as RPGs, leveling up, stat tracking,charecter abilities etc.

Tales of Symphonia was released on the PS2 in Japan, but was only released on the gamecube in the US and Europe. Evolution Worlds and Skies of Arcadia were originally Dreamcast Games, but both are enhanced and modified versions of those games on the cube. Phantasy Star Online was also released on the dreamcast and later on the xbox but the gamecube version is different from both the other versions of the game. Summoner a Goddess Reborn, is an enhanced version of Summoner II released on the PS2.

Radiata_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Radiata_Blue
Member since 2006 • 250 Posts
Tales of Symphonia was decent and addmitedly had some cool moments, but itsnot nearly as good as everyone makes it out to be. I prefered Skies of Arcadia Legends, even though it was a remake. ToS showed off the GC capabilities more effectivley and was a better showpiece for the system, but in terms of story and character it wasn't as good as Legends.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Funkyhamster
Eh? I liked ToS's story... I love watching corny Bollywood movies though, so I like my stories with extra cheese.
Avatar image for cookoo4cocopuff
cookoo4cocopuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cookoo4cocopuff
Member since 2005 • 793 Posts
tos hands down although ive never played paper mario but IMO i think that tos was the best RPG ever ....thats how much i like it
zh666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 165

#34 zh666
Member since 2005 • 5068 Posts

when it comes with RPGs and the Gamecube, I'm probably the best person to ask... I've reviewed all the ones I've beaten, so if you're curious for more info on these, then just click my profile...

RPGs I own or have played

Amazing Island - This game is a mix of pokemon **** collecting, slight sim based and party game mechanics with plenty of rpg overtones, but overall a terrible game
Animal Crossing - Sim game that can be listed as a subgenre of rpgs, fun
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings - awesome Turnbased RPG that uses cards, any RPG can with a Cube should own this
Baten Kaitos: Origins - just as good as the original, if not better
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - decent action RPG but gets repetitive with a short quest... maybe if you find it cheap
Beyond Good or Evil - hands down the best Zelda game, not involving Link
Evolution Worlds - ports/remakes of a couple Dreamcast games, generic turn-based rpg fair, not worth buying
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicals - dungeon crawler action rpg, very fun multiplayer, but single player can be a drag.. still a good game and worth checking out
Fire Emblem: Path of Radience - I just bought this, so I haven't really played it yet, but I'm sure any RPG fan with a cube should own this based on the awesome GBA games...
Future Tactics: The Uprising - seriously freaking awful Turnbased Strategy RPG... avoid
Gladius - extremely fun turn-based strategy RPG, any RPG fan should own this on any system
Harvest Moon - A Wonderful Life - fun sim game, although rather difficult (or maybe I just suck at these?)
Legend of Zelda: Windwaker - some people claim Zelda is Adventure, but I always labled it RPG since the first one, this is no different to me... games like Myst and Kings Quest and Monkey Island and D are Adventure.. stuff it
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - one of the best games released on the Cube or any last gen system, and no RPG fan should ignore it
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age - extremely awful turn-based RPG, avoid
Lost Kingdoms - a few good ideas and interesting plot turned into a rather short and difficult card / action based rpg
Lost Kingdoms II - this game takes those few shinning moments of awesomeness from the first game and makes a rather good game out of it.. but still very short quest..
Medabots Infinity - terrible dungeon crawler RPG with pokemon ****collectables... avoid avoid avoid
Megaman Network Transmission - action / side scroller with RPG elements like leveling up, free roaming and upgrading... not a bad game at all
Megaman X Command Mission - a suprisingly fun turn-based RPG but with weak dungeons, otherwise a good game and worth checking out
Mystic Heroes - generic hack and slasher with slight RPG elements, don't bother
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - turnbased RPG and one of the best rpgs on any last gen system i've played
Phantasy Star Online Ver III - I haven't played this yet so I can't comment, but I can't imagine it being to awful
Skies of Arcadia Legends - a Dreamcast port with added features and quests, very fun game with a lengethy adventure and good story, any RPG fan should own this on either system
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy - a fairly fun Action "Adventure" Zelda clone...
Star Fox Adventures - read above
Summoner: A Goddess Reborn - 3rd person action RPG, which could of been good, but it was buggy as hell, it's the same game as Summoner 2 on the PS2, so get that insted
Tales of Symphonia - hands down the best RPG on the cube and the best RPG i've played on any of the last gen systems...
X-Men Legends - fun dungeon crawler action rpg, but crap storyline
X-Men Legends II - better multiplayer, graphics, but still a crap storyline.. both games are worth checking out though

then there's these, which I haven't played:
Blood Omen 2
Darkened Skye
Dinotopia: The Sunstone Odyssey
Hobbit, The
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Plus (I have these on the Dreamcast, they're not terrible but they're slow and repetitive, so otherwise, I wouldn't bother)
Pokemon Colosseum
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Digimon World 4
Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
Virtua Quest
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody

squarefan_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 squarefan_31
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts
Tales of Symphonia easily. But Paper Mario: TTYD is great as well.
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
Tales of Symphonia
zpxkjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zpxkjp
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts
Hard one, i say its a tie between Tales Of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos.
groudyogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 groudyogre
Member since 2006 • 1661 Posts
Tomogos
Basil-Culex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Basil-Culex
Member since 2007 • 71 Posts

I only had 2:

Tales of Symphonia

and

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Funkyhamster
Azlar, don't say stuff like that... #1 it's kinda wrong, because you can still play GC games even if the system is "dead," and #2 because knowing this board, it'll probably start a gigantic flame war.
Azlar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 Azlar
Member since 2007 • 224 Posts
The GameCube is dead period. Anyone claiming otherwise is a delusional fanboy. My advice to those noobs is to go get a life. kthxbye
KathR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KathR
Member since 2005 • 1122 Posts

My 2 favorites...

Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door
Skies of Arcadia Legends