SNES FF vs. PS1 FF: Listen up, valereth-1 and Yonathin3155!

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

Lets assume for a minute that the N64/PS1 era is the worst era in the history of games and ruined gaming forever. Even if that is true, It is also the most important era in games because, for a lot of people (and when I say a lot I mean millions of people) It was the era that got them into games and helped push gaming as a whole. By trying to turn back a clock that cannot be turned will acomplish nothing. And, even in the OFFICAL NINTENDO MAGAZINE, (and these guys have been playing since the NES days) stated that the N64/PS1 era is the most important era of games. Mario 64 and Zelda OoT were given the award for best game of there respetive franchises. (By millions of gaming magazines and websites, not just the offical Nintendo magazine) I am sure if there was a Metroid 64 game it would have been awarded the best Metroid game. Its the same for FF7, 8, 9 and Tactics, which is regarded the pinnacle of the series. The NES/SNES era is not coming back, and hating on the N64/PS1 era and every era after will NOT bring it back, no matter how amazing it was.

And thats the end of my rant.

ffxjunky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 ffxjunky06
Member since 2006 • 8351 Posts
You are right there. But again it is theyr opinion. Despite what gaming company, gaming magazine or gamer may say, theyr not totally wrong. Theyr opinion matters. Even if i really dont care because i have my own opinions. Mine matters to me. Theyrs matters to them. Making them relevant. As i'm sure FG will say, respect everyones opinions. Thats what this Union (community) is about. Sharing and respecting eachothers views and opinions (aswell as eachother) and keeping you up-to-date and intouch with the latest news. But people find it hard to respect what they dont agree with. I just dont have to energy to argue back lol. Thats the end of my rant:). Rants really are good. Oh and you may want to change the topic title. Seen as calling them out which may get this topic locked. Stops unnecessary arguing.
Yonathin3155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Yonathin3155
Member since 2009 • 1265 Posts
I never said that I hated the N64/PS1 era of gaming. In fact I love it. It's one of the best. I just don't like Final Fantasy VII.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 valereth-1
Member since 2009 • 9249 Posts

Lets assume for a minute that the N64/PS1 era is the worst era in the history of games and ruined gaming forever. Even if that is true, It is also the most important era in games because, for a lot of people (and when I say a lot I mean millions of people) It was the era that got them into games and helped push gaming as a whole. By trying to turn back a clock that cannot be turned will acomplish nothing. And, even in the OFFICAL NINTENDO MAGAZINE, (and these guys have been playing since the NES days) stated that the N64/PS1 era is the most important era of games. Mario 64 and Zelda OoT were given the award for best game of there respetive franchises. (By millions of gaming magazines and websites, not just the offical Nintendo magazine) I am sure if there was a Metroid 64 game it would have been awarded the best Metroid game. Its the same for FF7, 8, 9 and Tactics, which is regarded the pinnacle of the series. The NES/SNES era is not coming back, and hating on the N64/PS1 era and every era after will NOT bring it back, no matter how amazing it was.

And thats the end of my rant.

samanthademeste

The original Playstation is my all time favorite console

The SNES era was the pinacle of the Final Fantasy series

The NES era is, probably, the most important era in gaming history since...you know...it pulled gaming back from the brink of extinction

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 magitekk
Member since 2009 • 3959 Posts

Even if FFVI was my favorite FF, the SNES era for Final Fantasy is definitely not the best.

The only greatness to come out of the early days was FFVI itself. Aside from FFIV, but FFIV was only good, it wasn't great

The PS1 era was rocky with FFVIII, but FFVII and FFIX were pretty darn good games.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 valereth-1

Even if FFVI was my favorite FF, the SNES era for Final Fantasy is definitely not the best.

The only greatness to come out of the early days was FFVI itself. Aside from FFIV, but FFIV was only good, it wasn't great

The PS1 era was rocky with FFVIII, but FFVII and FFIX were pretty darn good games.

magitekk

Final Fantasy VIII is a terrible game

Final Fantasy IV is one of the best RPGs ever made

Again, the SNES era is the pinacle of the series

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 magitekk
[QUOTE="magitekk"]

valereth-1

Yes, we've established the first two. But the SNES era isn't the pinnacle just for one game, seriously. Final Fantasy V and IV were really quite substandard, then every FF game before that (although good for that time) was mediocre.

Also, the last thing I'd want to hear out of you is how a lot of the later games have so much tech and hardly any fantasy. Hello? FFIV had the Tower of Babil, the Lunar Whale, and the Tower of...Zot? Forgot the other one. And don't get me started with FFVI: you have frickin' sky patrol, for christ's sake. You have cranes, chainsaws, engines, all of this technology. All an FF game needs to be considered a fantasy is a medieval/futuristic setting with some type of magical s*** going on.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 valereth-1

[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"]

magitekk

Yes, we've established the first two. But the SNES era isn't the pinnacle just for one game, seriously. Final Fantasy V and IV were really quite substandard, then every FF game before that (although good for that time) was mediocre.

Also, the last thing I'd want to hear out of you is how a lot of the later games have so much tech and hardly any fantasy. Hello? FFIV had the Tower of Babil, the Lunar Whale, and the Tower of...Zot? Forgot the other one. And don't get me started with FFVI: you have frickin' sky patrol, for christ's sake. You have cranes, chainsaws, engines, all of this technology. All an FF game needs to be considered a fantasy is a medieval/futuristic setting with some type of magical s*** going on.

I repeat. FFIV is one of hte greatest RPGs ever made. IT is, in no way, sub standard. Even if Final Fantasy V isn't quite as good as IV and VI, the SNES era is, most definitely, the pinacle of the series.

All of the first 6 FF games have some sci fi elements. I am fine with that. What I am not fine with is how Final Fantasy VII, VIII and XIII are not fantasy at all, really.

Avatar image for Fenian_lostsoul
Fenian_lostsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fenian_lostsoul
Member since 2005 • 5500 Posts

[QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"]

valereth-1

I repeat. FFIV is one of hte greatest RPGs ever made. IT is, in no way, sub standard. Even if Final Fantasy V isn't quite as good as IV and VI, the SNES era is, most definitely, the pinacle of the series.

All of the first 6 FF games have some sci fi elements. I am fine with that. What I am not fine with is how Final Fantasy VII, VIII and XIII are not fantasy at all, really.

cool you left out IX and XII those two are my favorites in the series :P

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 samanthademeste

valereth-1

Its called steam punk.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 valereth-1
[QUOTE="valereth-1"]

Fenian_lostsoul

cool you left out IX and XII those two are my favorites in the series :P

FFIX is very much traditional FF. It is the best aspects of the first 6 all thrown together in one game. IT is not as good as some of hte first 6, but it is awesome in it's own right

FFXII gets the Final Fantasy setting very right. It was midevil with sci fi elements, much like the first 6 games and IX. It is just on a much larger scale than..well..any other non online FF game

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 valereth-1
[QUOTE="valereth-1"]

samanthademeste

Its called steam punk.

It really isn't steampunk. Play Bioshock. That is Steampunk. None of the FF games feel like that

Wait. Don't play Bioshock. Play System Shock 2 instead. IT is like Bioshock but challenging with more depth and cyberpunk instead of steampunk. It is better. In every single way except on a technical level because it is 10 years older

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 samanthademeste

Oh yeah, I was also going to mention that about Nintendo vs Playstation, a ton of great 3rd party games(Playstation)> a few great 1st party games. (Nintendo) also Playstation can play games, play movies, play music, store pictures and go on the internet. Nintendo can only do 30% of that!

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 magitekk
I would've thought that FFVI was the closest to steam punk than any other FF, really. FFVII is great, but it is a lot more tech than magic, I'd say.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 valereth-1
I would've thought that FFVI was the closest to steam punk than any other FF, really. FFVII is great, but it is a lot more tech than magic, I'd say.magitekk
The only aspect of FFVI that might be called steam punk is the mech suits. They do not play a major role in the game.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 magitekk

[QUOTE="magitekk"]I would've thought that FFVI was the closest to steam punk than any other FF, really. FFVII is great, but it is a lot more tech than magic, I'd say.valereth-1
The only aspect of FFVI that might be called steam punk is the mech suits. They do not play a major role in the game.

You mean the magitek armor? There's more than that. There're steam engines and a whole bunch of other crap. Edgar's toys, the droids and stuff. Those craney things and stuff I don't even know what to call.

EDIT: I think Vector would be the best thing to mention. The music there and everything, very machiney. 

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 valereth-1

[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"]I would've thought that FFVI was the closest to steam punk than any other FF, really. FFVII is great, but it is a lot more tech than magic, I'd say.magitekk

You mean the magitek armor? There's more than that. There're steam engines and a whole bunch of other crap. Edgar's toys, the droids and stuff. Those craney things and stuff I don't even know what to call.

EDIT: I think Vector would be the best thing to mention. The music there and everything, very machiney. 

Not really,. It is very much a medieval world with swords, sorcery, castles and all that stuff that has been there since day one. It is a fantasy tale. It is not a science fiction tale
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 magitekk
[QUOTE="magitekk"]

[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"]I would've thought that FFVI was the closest to steam punk than any other FF, really. FFVII is great, but it is a lot more tech than magic, I'd say.valereth-1

Not really,. It is very much a medieval world with swords, sorcery, castles and all that stuff that has been there since day one. It is a fantasy tale. It is not a science fiction tale

On the contrary, I feel there's actually a lot more modern/futuristic aspects of FFVI than medieval.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 valereth-1

[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"]I would've thought that FFVI was the closest to steam punk than any other FF, really. FFVII is great, but it is a lot more tech than magic, I'd say.magitekk

On the contrary, I feel there's actually a lot more modern/futuristic aspects of FFVI than medieval.

Steam powered stuff is not modern, and you are wrong anyway
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 magitekk

[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"]I would've thought that FFVI was the closest to steam punk than any other FF, really. FFVII is great, but it is a lot more tech than magic, I'd say.valereth-1

"I feel" meaning "my opinion". You can't be wrong with opinions, stop getting your panties in a knot, troll, you act as if I'm insulting the game (which I'm not)

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 valereth-1
[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"]

"I feel" meaning "my opinion". You can't be wrong with opinions, stop getting your panties in a knot, troll, you act as if I'm insulting the game (which I'm not)

People were once of hte opinion that the earth is flat. They were wrong.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 magitekk
[QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"]

Saying 'the earth is flat' isn't an opinion, it's just incorrect. There are facts, then there aren't facts. That isn't a fact. An opinion is an idea, a preference that cannot be refuted because there is no right or wrong answer.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 valereth-1
[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"]

Saying 'the earth is flat' isn't an opinion, it's just incorrect. There are facts, then there aren't facts. That isn't a fact. An opinion is an idea, a preference that cannot be refuted because there is no right or wrong answer.

If you are going to be that way then, by your own words, you are just incorrect.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 magitekk

I'll just leave this here

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 samanthademeste

magitekk

Hilarious and true at the same time!

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 valereth-1

magitekk
Yeah. That is how I feel when I am arguing with you.
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 samanthademeste

Final Fantasy: steam punk

Dragon Quest: fantasy

Phantasy Star: sci-fi

Megami Tensei: urban/modern

Ys: fantasy

Tales: fantasy

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 magitekk
[QUOTE="magitekk"]

valereth-1

I'm not the one going 'you're wrong, you're wrong'. I'm just here for the helluv it.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 valereth-1

magitekk

I'm not the one going 'you're wrong, you're wrong'. I'm just here for the helluv it.

You are choosing to ignore the setting of the entire world and, instead, focus on a few minor things to try to label it.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 magitekk

valereth-1

You are choosing to ignore the setting of the entire world and, instead, focus on a few minor things to try to label it.

Ur-banned dictionary definition of 'Steampunk':

"A fantasy story that involves using steam era technology to make highly complicated and advanced machines."

Omg, wow? You know what that sounds like???? Take a guess.

Taken from the FF wiki article for 'Final Fantasy VI': Final Fantasy VI features fourteen playable characters, the largest cast of any main series game in the Final Fantasy series. The game is set in a fantasy steampunk-themedworld, at a technological level roughly corresponding to Earth during the Second Industrial Revolution. It is also the last title in the series to be released for the Super Nintendo console and the last title to be renamed.

EDIT: And in case you feel you have anything to say to that, here's the Webster's definition:

Pwned, b*tch

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 valereth-1
[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"]

magitekk

"A fantasy story that involves using steam era technology to make highly complicated and advanced machines."

Taken from the FF wiki article for 'Final Fantasy VI': Final Fantasy VI features fourteen playable characters, the largest cast of any main series game in the Final Fantasy series. The game is set in a fantasy steampunk-themedworld, at a technological level roughly corresponding to Earth during the Second Industrial Revolution. It is also the last title in the series to be released for the Super Nintendo console and the last title to be renamed.

EDIT: And in case you feel you have anything to say to that, here's the Webster's definition:

Pwned, b*tch

Call me when you get a better source than the frickin Urban Dictionary. That site exists for one reason, and one reason only: to make people laugh. You failed here from the very first sentence
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 magitekk
[QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"]

valereth-1

Pwned, b*tch

Call me when you get a better source than the frickin Urban Dictionary. That site exists for one reason, and one reason only: to make people laugh. You failed here from the very first sentence

Hence the reason why I provided the Webster's definition, you dotard.

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 samanthademeste

valereth-1, why are you so mean to magitekk? She is nice but you just ignore everything she says.

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 magitekk

valereth-1, why are you so mean to magitekk? She is nice but you just ignore everything she says.

samanthademeste

Lol; I guess it's safe to say that I'm coming off as a tad bit more combatant than valreth right now. Though I can't stand when people try to tell me I'm wrong when in reality they are the ones that aren't correct.

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 samanthademeste
[QUOTE="samanthademeste"]

magitekk

Lol; I guess it's safe to say that I'm coming off as a tad bit more combatant than valreth right now. Though I can't stand when people try to tell me I'm wrong when in reality they are the ones that aren't correct.

Maybe so, but that guy does not seem to know the definition of the word steampunk if it hit him in the face.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 valereth-1
[QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"]

magitekk

Pwned, b*tch

That isn't what your post says. Does your reading comprehension fail so hard that you cannot even read your own words?
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 valereth-1
[QUOTE="samanthademeste"]

magitekk

You are the one that is wrong. You are claiming it is not medieval, when it, quite clearly, is. Castles. Knights. Kings. Swords. Sorcery. All that stuff. Medieval fantasy.
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts

popcorn.gif picture by SimonGARlock

This thread delivers. :lol:

Yonathin3155

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Yonathin3155
Member since 2009 • 1265 Posts

popcorn.gif picture by SimonGARlock

This thread delivers. :lol:

DrAwesomeMD

This has become my favorite part of this thread. 

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 magitekk
[QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"][QUOTE="valereth-1"][QUOTE="magitekk"]

valereth-1

Pwned, b*tch

That isn't what your post says. Does your reading comprehension fail so hard that you cannot even read your own words?

QUOTE FROM MY LAST POST: And in case you feel you have anything to say to that, here's the Webster's definition

Then I provided the link. Now what were you saying?

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 valereth-1
You STILL discredited yourself from the very begining. Final Fantasy VI is STILL a medieval fantasy game
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 magitekk

You STILL discredited yourself from the very begining. Final Fantasy VI is STILL a medieval fantasy gamevalereth-1

Excuses, excuses. In all honesty, it would appear that you even -know- that you've lost yet you don't want to accept defeat. 'Steampunk'. STEAM, GOD DAMMIT. What powers a majority of the machines in the world of FFVI?

I looked up 'steampunk video games' into google. This was the very first link. Now, would you tell me what's the first game listed there?

Blarghlesplet

But that's not all. "Omg it's wikipedia, completely discredible." I'd like you to take a look at many other listings of steampunk video games and see what you find. If that doesn't help, look up more definitions of the term 'steampunk'; each definition has the same basic meaning.

EDIT:

Old, but I just had to say something about this:

There aren't any steam-powered machines in 'Bioshock'. The city itself even runs on geothermal power, with everything else inside it being electronic or internal combustion-powered.

If anything, BioShock is closer to cyberpunk than steampunk, but in a definitive 1950′s low-tech sort of way.

Avatar image for hereforcomments
hereforcomments

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hereforcomments
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
OOOOOOO i think valereth got owned from this last comment, he doesnt know what to say. his jaw BROKE from being pwned so hard.
valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 valereth-1

There are no excuses. There is just ignorance on your part. You proved that you have no idea what you are talking about and we can take nothing you ever say seriously. It is questionable whether you even played the damned game.

Bioshock has a very steampunk look and feel. If you do not know that, then you ahve never even seen screenshots of the game. To call it cyberpunk is excessively stupid

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 magitekk

There are no excuses. There is just ignorance on your part. You proved that you have no idea what you are talking about and we can take nothing you ever say seriously. It is questionable whether you even played the damned game.

Bioshock has a very steampunk look and feel. If you do not know that, then you ahve never even seen screenshots of the game. To call it cyberpunk is excessively stupid

valereth-1

You just fired back with insults; how's about firing back with something decent.....I dunno, evidence, on your part?

Also, I'm just dying to know. Who is 'we'? You mean you? I herped so hard that I derped. I guarantee, a lot more people here can't take you seriously as compared to me. NOBODY aside from you here would argue that FFVI isn't steampunk. Bioshock is lacking in the fantasy department, which steampunk happens to contain a good amount of.

Linky

This is yet another wikipedia article; yet it is specifically for the term 'Steampunk'. Scroll down to 'Fantasy-World' and check out some of the games that are noted....actually, check the very first one.

This isn't about whether it's credible or not, it's about how many people consider it steampunk, obviously to a decent degree for them to label FFVI as the first game amongst their list of 'steampunk' games.

samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 samanthademeste

valereth-1 and Yonathin3155=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVel5JNZS80

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 valereth-1
Why should I bother? You have proven that you are ignorant and stubborn. It is like arguing with a wall. You have also strongly hinted that you have never played the game before
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 magitekk

Why should I bother? You have proven that you are ignorant and stubborn. It is like arguing with a wall. You have also strongly hinted that you have never played the game beforevalereth-1

It's like looking at the same post over and over again. . .

I think it's safe to say that you have this confusion as to what steampunk is. It isn't some futuristic, spunky kind of game with mega ultra robots or whatever the hell you like to think of it as. Steampunk is based off of 19th century technology, technology that is equal in resemblence to that of the Industrial Revolution. The only difference is that steampunk takes it to a new level, adding magic into the picture to give these machines their 'life' as you can say. Or for the kiddies 'suped up'.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 valereth-1

[QUOTE="valereth-1"]Why should I bother? You have proven that you are ignorant and stubborn. It is like arguing with a wall. You have also strongly hinted that you have never played the game beforemagitekk

I think it's safe to say that you have this confusion as to what steampunk is. It isn't some futuristic, spunky kind of game with mega ultra robots or whatever the hell you like to think of it as. Steampunk is based off of 19th century technology, technology that is equal in resemblence to that of the Industrial Revolution. The only difference is that steampunk takes it to a new level, adding magic into the picture to give these machines their 'life' as you can say. Or for the kiddies 'suped up'.

You have no idea what steam punk is, and you have no idea what I think steampunk is. You are just extremely confused and stubborn. You know what? I am going to be the better man and walk away from this conversation now.
magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 magitekk
[QUOTE="magitekk"]

[QUOTE="valereth-1"]Why should I bother? You have proven that you are ignorant and stubborn. It is like arguing with a wall. You have also strongly hinted that you have never played the game beforevalereth-1

You have no idea what steam punk is, and you have no idea what I think steampunk is. You are just extremely confused and stubborn. You know what? I am going to be the better man and walk away from this conversation now.

Link

THE DEFINITION IS RIGHT HERE. I restated it in my last post. It's so apparent what steampunk is; must I put on a puppet show for your reluctant ass?! How about some flash cards? My god!

You know that you've lost this. If anyone here was willing to speak up at this moment, they'd agree with me. Do you think 5000+ users are 'confused and stubborn'?! F*** NO!