MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MiracleMir
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts

One of thethree FF's in the main series that i havent played, ive found almost as many mixed opinions on this game as... well you know...FF7. Well i finally broke down and settled my beef with Ebay and recently won an auction on FF8 so that i can finally play it for myself. Now comes the waiting while it ships and i'd like to know what your opinions are on this game as a whole. Story, Battle system, overall gameplay, everything. NO SPOILERS PLEASE. Hopefully this thread will keep me sain while i wait for the game to ship. THANKS!

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
I thought that VIII was a pretty good game. The story was alright, and the characters were interesting. The story got pretty confusing sometimes, for me atleast. I enjoyed the battle system, it allowed for alot of customization, and I had fun messing around with the GFs (summons). Yes, the draw system definetely got a bit tedious at times, but still, it was new and fresh for Final Fantasy, and made the experience much more different and unique. And I don't mind the fact that enemies leveled with you, I was still able to kick the ass of most enemies with ease even though they werer around the same level of my characters, and also there were some enemies that put up good fights thanks to the fact that they could level up. It was a nice little bonus to be able to control what happens with most of your limit breaks once you got it, too. There are many optional things to do in the game and I thoroughly enjoyed doing them. There was some good music in the game, as well, some that were memorableto me.
ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ThreeVo
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts

I thought that VIII was a pretty good game. The story was alright, and the characters were interesting. The story got pretty confusing sometimes, for me atleast. I enjoyed the battle system, it allowed for alot of customization, and I had fun messing around with the GFs (summons). Yes, the draw system definetely got a bit tedious at times, but still, it was new and fresh for Final Fantasy, and made the experience much more different and unique. And I don't mind the fact that enemies leveled with you, I was still able to kick the ass of most enemies with ease even though they werer around the same level of my characters, and also there were some enemies that put up good fights thanks to the fact that they could level up. It was a nice little bonus to be able to control what happens with most of your limit breaks once you got it, too. There are many optional things to do in the game and I thoroughly enjoyed doing them. There was some good music in the game, as well, some that were memorableto me.DJ-Lafleur
Im completley share your words on this one.

FF8 although had a not so hot off the stove story with a "meh" main villian, the game provided a great experience. Its cast of characters, although some would get pretty annoying, defenetly had alot of life added to them, u felt atached most of the time, while this is debatable being as some arent very fond of love stories or squals silent behavior (NOT EMO!!!), the game absolutley succeded in the ways of the combat system, idont care what anyone else says.

Great limit break system, exellent character customization, and an amazing soundtrack to top it off.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts

The entire game was both boring and frustrtating. Noneo f hte characters interested me. They all seemed flat, so the story was boring as well, seeing as how it was character centered. The gameplay was maddening. Who the hell beta tested the draw system and thought it was a GOOD idea? "I know! We will make hte player sit there and do the same thing over and over and over again in hopes of getting spells while the enemy beats the tar out of them." Terrible idea.

http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/games/FF8/

Watch this. It is funny and it explains exactly why I hate the game

notaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 notaco
Member since 2007 • 34 Posts
Eh, it's a good game but I've never enjoyed it as much as the other FF games. It's not bad enough to say it's not worth playing..simply that if you're buying it with expectations for a game as good as some others..then you might wanna scale back those expectations before you become thoroughly disappointed.
linksloverboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 linksloverboi
Member since 2005 • 178 Posts
I screamed that I hated this game for the first..well, forever essentially. Finally I sat down and actually began playing it, meaning..more than five hours and by the time I had completed it I was upset that it was over. Not as upset as I was by FF7 and embarassingly enough X (It did have a great story, I'm afraid it's true), but my opinion did a 180 for sure. It's one of the best IMO
MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MiracleMir

I GOT IT. Well it came in the mail today. I opened the ugly yellow envelope to reveal the fat four disc playstaion one freshly wrapped case of Final Fantasy 8. Only 1 problem. I HAVE NO PLAYSTAION 1 MEMORY CARD. Gamestop doesnt carry em any more so i guess ill have to hit up Game Crazy. Looks like ill be keeping my PS2 on for a couple days until i canget a memory cardLOL.

Kraker2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kraker2k
Member since 2004 • 1427 Posts

I GOT IT. Well it came in the mail today. I opened the ugly yellow envelope to reveal the fat four disc playstaion one freshly wrapped case of Final Fantasy 8. Only 1 problem. I HAVE NO PLAYSTAION 1 MEMORY CARD. Gamestop doesnt carry em any more so i guess ill have to hit up Game Crazy. Looks like ill be keeping my PS2 on for a couple days until i canget a memory cardLOL.

MiracleMir

Just pray you dont get a power cut during that time haha.

johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9 johngebreadman
Member since 2007 • 9960 Posts
your electric bill will be big if u aint got a slim
MiracleMir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MiracleMir
i got a slimand yeah i hope the electric doesnt cut out. Maybe I should hook up a generator or something just in case.LOL
Icebuncle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Icebuncle
Member since 2007 • 173 Posts

FF8 was the first FF game I ever played, and needless to say I really liked it (if I didn't I probably wouldn't have bothered to play the other FF games). I know a lot of people think the chracaters are annoying, but I found myself caring for them and wha happened to their world. The music is wonderful, and is the only FF soundtrack I actually bought.

The story can be a bit confusing, true, but in the end it all made sense. I know some people doesn't like FF8's story, because it is mostly a love story. In my opinion it might just be the greatest love story of all time, and the game teaches a valuable lesson: You can't go through life alone. You need friends and loved ones to make you strong.

The battle system was a bit difficult for me to get into at first. The Junction system lets you customize a lot and so does the GF's. I like that the enemies follow your level because that gives you a constant challenge. In other FF games you could end up with very easy boss fights if you had leveled a lot, but in FF8 you don't have to worry about dissapointments like that.

Because there are so many people with so many different tastes, the debate about FF8 will never end. And that goes for all the FF games. I really like FF8, other people may not. In the end it's all up to you what you think of it, no matter what people may tell you before you try it.

RadTad62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 RadTad62
Member since 2003 • 667 Posts
FF8 is one of my fovorites of the series i know that to the rest of the world FF7 is the greatest of all time that's true for me too but FF8 in my opinionis on the level of 7.The intro for 8 was one of the best openings i've seen inthe series and the story i one that people will remember for a long time.
EmperorZeruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 EmperorZeruel
Member since 2007 • 4207 Posts
FF8 is better then a lot of people give it credit for. I actually liked the junction ability, it was fun arranging the magic you drawed to boost your status. I was level 35 and i hit like a level 100, because i had 99 ultimas 99 meteors ect. A lso the storylinee was realy good too. I realy enjoyed the world, i liked it because it was modern and it fealt more real.
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts
Actually, you don't even have to draw a lot if you know how to use the Junction System and the abilities of the GF. FF8 is a nice game. I enjoyed it. Got the original Japanese version, the US one and the PC version (bought this one just to be able to play Chocobo World :P).
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts

I didn't like it as much as other FFs, the spoonyexperiment guy has some (very funny) points which pretty much sum it up, although not quite as negatively. Drawing spells is simply too tedious and you'll obviously have the urge to possess the maximum of every spell on at least 3 characters. Additionally, it discourages magic use and the junction system makes leveling sort of pointless as you'll only grow weaker compared to the monsters around you.

Had nothing against the story, although I found the GF concept within the story a bit stupid (won't elaborate further due to possible spoilers) and I just didn't like Squall's attitude. From a technical standpoint though, it's an amazing step up from the already impressive and still charming VII, especially the FMVs looked incredible at the time.

Platin_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Platin_ghost
Member since 2006 • 620 Posts
just 2 words - f*****g junction system! ang stupid drawing magic!
Avatar image for A_Fading_Scream
A_Fading_Scream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 A_Fading_Scream
Member since 2006 • 332 Posts
The first time I played VIII I found it 2 realistic and therefore unrealistic if you catch my drift, i thought the GF storyline thingy was rubbish, but the story on the whole was good, didn't really use draw at all, just used attacks and drew multiple spells repeatedly from draw points...I'm afraid to say though that it is the only final fantasy game i have got bored of, due to lack of effort in the optional part of the game....well worth playing...
johngebreadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 johngebreadman
Member since 2007 • 9960 Posts
how good is it compared to 7 or x?
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
VII and X are better, i think, but VIIIis still an enjoyable experience.
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts
^ Same here. It's a good game for those who know the entirety of the Junction System, as well as for those who love some shower of love story... like me. :P