Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

http://simonferrari.com/2010/03/31/hills-and-lines-final-fantasy-xiii/

I think this article captures my feelings on the game pretty well. It's not that FF13 is any more linear than past games, it just dispenses with the illusion of nonlinearity. It removes everything that the designers thought were superfluous to the experience, and I think they did a fantastic job of it. The main controversy is not whether or not the game is "too linear", but whether or not the minimalist design does an adequate job of immersing the player.  Personally, I think the abrupt shift from Cocoon to Pulse was the most brilliant moment of story exposition in the game. It perfectly conveys the contrast between the peaceful totalitarian life on Cocoon to the free yet dangerous land of Pulse. On Cocoon, the Fal'Cie make sure the inhabitants "live their life on a string"; everything is provided for them as long as they don't stray from the beaten path. On pulse, the Fal'Cie take a hands-off approach, letting the people live how they want, which is exposes them to the dangers of the world. I think the linear/non-linear path is intentionally designed to mirror this.

mr_bri9htside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#2 mr_bri9htside
Member since 2005 • 1948 Posts

I felt like that was an essay written by an intelligent fan of the series. Really good though!

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts

I am not a big fan of FFXIII, but this is a very nice article giving justice to the game. Linearity is never a problem of the game. It gave so much free-roaming experience when you go to Pulse.

Although I am not a big fan of the game, I no other other qualms about it except for the fact that it requires you to grind a lot in order to pass some enemies needed to progress in the story. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5fda9d56d5960
deactivated-5fda9d56d5960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

User Lists: 19

#4 deactivated-5fda9d56d5960
Member since 2005 • 679 Posts
Well written. My main complaint is with the feeling of "auto-pilot" that the game has. I do like the game and will continue to play it.
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts
Let us hope they will give us more control in the battle in FFXIII-2.
Avatar image for Lightning__Evil
Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#6 Lightning__Evil
Member since 2010 • 4483 Posts
I found the game to not be overly immersive but it had a good plot and the difference between the linear and free roaming sections did help to bring out the aposing characteristics of Cacoon and Pulse. I would also agree that the battle system was too auto with the paradigm shift acting as a dress sphere for the party basically. I want to be able to control all the characters please and have control over my actions not just auto attack. I kinda prefer the turn based stop action of FFX. As to gamer comment about grinding, I didn't really find it in the main game. The only place I ever grinded was on Gran Pulse during Chapter 11 but thats because I wanted to max out my stats before orphan. I would also say that out of the final fantasy series this game has an easier final boss in my opinion.
cjimrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 cjimrun
Member since 2011 • 1255 Posts
I love this game and this article. I'm now on my third play-through and recently snagged Lightning and Serah trading Arts.
Avatar image for Lightning__Evil
Lightning__Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#8 Lightning__Evil
Member since 2010 • 4483 Posts

I love this game and this article. I'm now on my third play-through and recently snagged Lightning and Serah trading Arts.cjimrun

Nice, I already played through twice, once on each console. What exactly are trading arts? 

cjimrun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 cjimrun
Member since 2011 • 1255 Posts

[QUOTE="cjimrun"]I love this game and this article. I'm now on my third play-through and recently snagged Lightning and Serah trading Arts.Lightning__Evil

Nice, I already played through twice, once on each console. What exactly are trading arts? 

Trading Arts are small Final Fantasy character figures.  In Japan, they come in opaque boxes so you don't know who you're getting, like trading cards.  When they come to North America though, they are produced in clear packaging so you can buy a particular character on purpose.  They are usually much more expensive here though.  Recently, a 1st series of FFXIII T.Arts was released as well as a second Dissidia series that includes Firion, Butz, Sephiroth, Cecil and Terra.