Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Redders1989
Member since 2006 • 13410 Posts

Welcome to the discussion thread for the Driver Line-Up of 2014! From now on, all discussion of driver retaining/driver changes/driver leavings for 2014 should be posted here (All separate threads will be copied to here, then deleted to avoid taking up space for other threads). This top thread will be updated when news is released about a drivers' 2014 season placement being confirmed.

INFINITI RED BULL RACING-RENAULT
Sebastian Vettel, Daniel Ricciardo

SCUDERIA FERRARI
Fernando Alonso, Kimi Raikkonen

McLAREN-MERCEDES
Jenson Button, Sergio Perez

LOTUS F1 TEAM-RENAULT
TBA

AMG MERCEDES GRAND PRIX
Nico Rosberg, Lewis Hamilton

SAUBER-FERRARI
TBA

SAHARA FORCE INDIA-MERCEDES
Paul di Resta (TD: James Calado)

WILLIAMS-MERCEDES
TBA

SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO-RENAULT
TBA

CATERHAM F1 TEAM-RENAULT
Charles Pic

MARUSSIA F1 TEAM-FERRARI
Jules Bianchi

DRIVERS OUT OF F1: Mark Webber (To WEC), Robin Frijns (dropped from reserve role at Sauber), Felipe Massa (Outsed from F1).

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 kipi19
Member since 2005 • 4590 Posts
Well, this time round, it's going to be an interesting affair with 4 top drives up for grabs technically. I'd like to see Di Resta pop up the grid, also, One move i've thought of, Could Hulkenberg end up back at Williams with merc backing?
sambob530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 sambob530
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts
I really want to see Hulkenburg at the sharp end, he is driving the wheels off that Sauber.
Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Alberto1978
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

It would be crazy to have Raikkonen in Red Bull, it would be quite exciting. Though I don't think it will happen, I doubt Vettel would allow it or that the team would be willing risk even bigger conflicts by having two number ones. Ricciardo in there seems the obvious choice, though I find him kinda boring. 

I doubt Lotus will keep Grosjean, they have a very strong car, but he's a bit of a disaster. That would mean a seat free in one of the top teams, rumored for Hulkenberg. Which I find cool.

Di Resta has been bothering me lately, so I'm not particularly interested in where he ends next year, that may change though.

Curious about Massa, if he stays, or who would replace him if he doesn't (which I suspect will be the case).

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kipi19

Hulkenberg: Deserves a good drive, could end up and Ferrari as Bianchi is too young to take the seat

Di Resta: Again is proving he an do the business against the big guys and is having his best year yet, also has always been rumoured to go to Ferrari.

Grosjean: Unpredictable, if he can have weekends like those in Germany EVERY weekend then he could go places, but I feel he is just not consistant enough.

Massa: I don't think he is cutting it there, Alonso is just overshadowing him permanently.

Raikkonen: Can't see him at Red Bull with Vettel, two number ones won't mix.

Ricciardo: Is certainly setting his stall out for that Red Bull drive, but it'll be interesting to see who they choose for that slot.

Valsecchi: Could move to take the Lotus spot if Romain goes. 

The line-up depends on where Raikkonen goes or... Stays lol 

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

It looks like Sauber could be changing their line up for next year.

First were rumours last week that Sauber have been late / failed to pay staff wages including those of lead driver Nico Hulkenberg - he is rumoured to have terminated / have a termination clause in - his contract with Sauber effectively allowing him to leave at any time. The article goes on to state they believe he will stay with Sauber until the end of the season - pretty much his only choice for this season if he wishes to keep racing and boost his chances for a seat in another team for next year.

Today the BBC say that 17 year old Russian Sergey Sirotkin is due for a driver test with Sauber with the aim of having him drive in 2014. The article is less than glowing about his abilities, stating he falls short of the requirements for a super licence, instead focusing more on his financial credentials and the wealth of Russian investment he could bring to Sauber - who as things stand, desperately need it.

::

Considering how poorly Sauber have performed this year relative to last year, completely changing their driver line up having lost Perez to McLaren, and dropped Kobayashi in favour of the paid Gutierrez, not paying Hulkenberg and looking to potentially replace him with an unknown paid rookie really doesn't give me much optimism for next season. Lets hope their designers and engineers can pull off something special if they are to score points.

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kipi19
I think Peter Sauber might have to consider selling off if he can no longer sustain his own team :(
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Redders1989

McLAREN WANT MAGNUSSEN IN F1 NEXT YEAR

McLaren is hoping to find its young driver Kevin Magnussen a seat in Formula 1 next year.

The Dane impressed the team during a day's running at the recent Silverstone young driver test, and is currently leading the Formula Renault 3.5 standings.

McLaren has high hopes for Magnussen and team principal Martin Whitmarsh revealed that his outfit was considering options to find him an F1 race drive in 2014.

"Yes we are looking to do just that," said Whitmarsh. "We had offered Kevin to Force India [for the young driver test], who had agreed to run him.

"But they changed their plans at the last minute. Given that he thought he was running for Force India we felt we should run him that day."

McLaren currently has a technical partnership agreement with Force India, but that deal will not be extended in to 2014. That could preclude placing Magnussen at the Silverstone-based team.

One other option could be to get Magnussen a drive at Marussia, which has ties with McLaren.

Whitmarsh said that it was highly unlikely McLaren would run him itself.

"There is a tremendous amount of expectation and pressure on being a McLaren driver," he said. "I know we have had exceptions, but generally we don't have rookies in the car and we have to try to develop drivers for the longer term.

"F1 has not been good at developing drivers. At the moment we have some really interesting programmes, but they are a few years away from having a particular impact on this team."

SOURCE: Autosport 

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kipi19
Caterham could be an option if Van der Garde don't keep it, Marrisia if Chilton hasn't impressed enough, either that Or Williams if Bottas or Maldonado go lol
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Avenger1324

One other option could be to get Magnussen a drive at Marussia, which has ties with McLaren.Redders1989

Oh I'll bet he's thrilled with the prospect of that :roll:

Maybe it's unfair, but if you were a Marussia young driver and Marussia offered you a race seat then you'd probably be fairly happy with it - it is after all a foot into F1.

But if you are a McLaren young driver, hoping to follow in the footsteps of Hamilton, but instead face the prospect of a car that will finish last instead of challenging for both driver and constructor titles (granted not this season, but valid on the form of recent years), then I'd hardly think he would be jumping for joy.

In the era of paid drivers there is so little time to impress, and made even harder if you are in an uncompetitive car. Taking a seat at Marussia / Caterham as a new driver to F1 is only going to lead to a short career of at most a couple of season unless like Ricciardo, you have a big money sponsor involved in the sport willing to pull you up to a bigger team later.

If I was Magnusson and deciding what to do for next season, I would opt to stay in the lower formula another year, aim for back to back titles, and then have several mid to high teams wanting to hire instead.

And all of that assumes that Marussia will still be around next season with all the engine and rule changes.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Redders1989

RED BULL CONSIDERING ALONSO FOR 2014

Red Bull is considering Fernando Alonso as a potential team-mate to Sebastian Vettel for 2014.

It has emerged that secret talks took place between the Spaniard's management and Formula 1's champion team at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

High level sources claim that the notion Red Bull should consider Alonso as an option for 2014 emerged in a conversation that took place between the Ferrari driver's agent Luis Garcia Abad and team boss Christian Horner at the Hungaroring on Friday.

Both Ferrari and Abad insist, however, that the talks he had with Horner were only related to a potential future for Carlos Sainz Jr, who he also represents.

While the specifics of the conversation between Abad and Horner remain disputed, Horner admitted in Hungary that the Spanish driver was now a candidate.

When asked if he could deny the Alonso talks, or rule out the Spaniard for a 2014 seat, he said: "Any conversations between any of the drivers and any of the parties will always remain confidential.

"But of course there have been quite a few drivers who have expressed an interest in the seat, as you can imagine."

The suggestion of Alonso being a free agent in the near future is a particular surprise because it had previously been thought that he was firmly tied to Ferrari until the end of 2016.

Fernando AlonsoHorner said that while Alonso was being looked at, he was also unsure about the exact contractual situation, despite suggestions of break clauses.

"Is he available?" said Horner. "I don't know. You ask him."

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali claimed that Alonso was firmly locked down at the team - but acknowledged that the outfit had to improve its current performance to please its driver.

"First of all we have a contract with him," said Domenicali. "No doubt, Fernando is an asset for the team.

"We need him to work very closely with everyone, because after all this is a difficult moment in the season.

"We have to deliver a job. Full stop. This is the same for everyone, not only for him."

Although Alonso is not in the championship situation he had hoped to be this season, he made it clear on Sunday that he was still "happy" at Ferrari.

Luis Garcia Abad and Fernando AlonsoThe team's situation is set for a boost with imminent confirmation of James Allison's arrival in a senior technical role, although the impact of Allison's arrival will take time to show.

Horner's frankness over Alonso could also be viewed as an act of gamesmanship, at a time when the driver market is particularly fluid and the championship fight is getting more intense.

The Alonso situation could weaken Kimi Raikkonen's bargaining power in his Red Bull talks, as well as causing internal friction at Ferrari.

Equally, Abad (pictured with Alonso) may have known that a meeting with Horner in front of photographers at a race would fuel speculation about a potential Alonso switch - which would serve to remind Ferrari about the Spaniard's desire to succeed.

When asked by AUTOSPORT if he could confirm he would see out his Ferrari contract, and was happy to stay at Ferrari irrespective of results, Alonso said: "I am very happy.

"Obviously we need to improve the car and we are going to have chances to win the world championship.

"August with four weeks with no F1 is a very dangerous period for you guys [the media]. Hopefully we will have a quiet summer."

Christian HornerHorner said the only thing his team was interested in was putting together the strongest driver pairing it could, with Raikkonen and Daniel Ricciardo also being considered.

Asked about the potential dynamics of an Alonso/Vettel partnership, he said: "It would be interesting.

"At the end of the day, you have to think about what is right for the team. Obviously the pairing that we want to put together for next year has to be right for the team.

"Last week there was speculation about Kimi. This week it is about Fernando.

"I think for us we want to make sure that nothing waivers in our mind of putting together the right team package for next year with the two fastest drivers that we can, who will work collectively well together and achieve the best results for the team."

sambob530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sambob530
I really fail to see how it would be a man who hates being number 2 as much as Alonso, or anyone except Ricciardo for that matter.
SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#13 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

I really fail to see how it would be a man who hates being number 2 as much as Alonso, or anyone except Ricciardo for that matter.sambob530

Unless Red Bull are going to run 2 "number ones" like McLaren have been doing the last few years ( Hamilton/Button were clearly on equal footing and it is also clear that the team are not favouring Button over Perez ) and/or have an eye on the future when rumour has it that Vettel well be Ferrari bound!

Personally I'd love to see Kimi or Fernando in the other Red Bull - we would all then get a better idea of how good Vettel really is! 

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kipi19
In equal equipment I reckon Fernando would walk all over Seb lol
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

This also lines up with Red Bull becoming more self sufficient as a team. I mean think how much cash Santander could be worth to have on the car through Alonso. This would be curious to see how it would play out, if they would manage the team to have Vettel at advantage as seen previously or whether we would see a 2010 situation where both drivers are given full chance to get the drivers crown.

Saying that, I can only see it ending in tears just like McLaren 2007 did.

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kipi19
I agree, McLaren's policy has been to their detriment and downfall in recent years, Lewis could of sealed the 07 title due to poor management, 2010 and 2012, titles were possible if they chose a driver to get behind.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Avenger1324

I can't see Alonso giving up top dog status at Ferrari to join Vettel's team - no matter how "equal" they would be on paper.

Both drivers want to be number 1 driver in their team with a second driver there to support them when they need it, but preferably inferior as it will only make them look even better.

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SadPSPAddict

In equal equipment I reckon Fernando would walk all over Seb lolkipi19

Agreed - as would Hamilton and probably Kimi 

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SadPSPAddict

This also lines up with Red Bull becoming more self sufficient as a team. I mean think how much cash Santander could be worth to have on the car through Alonso. This would be curious to see how it would play out, if they would manage the team to have Vettel at advantage as seen previously or whether we would see a 2010 situation where both drivers are given full chance to get the drivers crown.

Saying that, I can only see it ending in tears just like McLaren 2007 did.

Garfield360UK

It would have to be equal footing - as it would if Kimi were to join RB I think. McLaren seem to have managed to give drivers an equal chance since then and the only reason 2007 ended as it did was because Alonso didn't like being out performed by a rookie and demanded No 1 status which McLaren were never going to give him!

Given Alonso didn't like equal terms then I have to agree with Garfield's assessment! 

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Redders1989
From the moment I read the headline, I've stored the chances of this in the same cabinet as "odds on Button joining Red Bull shoot up" - absolutely nil.
kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kipi19

Ferrari have admitted that Fernando Alonso has been admonished by the company's president.

The team said Luca Di Montezemolo phoned the driver on Monday to wish him a happy birthday but also "tweaked his ear" for his "latest comments".

Ferrari have not revealed which remarks by Alonso, 32, upset Di Montezemolo.

But when he was asked what birthday present he would like after finishing fifth in Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix, Alonso replied: "Someone else's car."

A Ferrari statement said Alonso was reminded by Di Montezemolo that "all the great champions who have driven for Ferrari have always been asked to put the interests of the team above their own.

"This is the moment to stay calm, avoid polemics and show humility and determination in making one's own contribution, standing alongside the team and its people both at the track and outside it."

The statement said Di Montezemolo was referring to Alonso when he told the team in a meeting on Monday that "there is a need to close ranks, without giving in to rash outbursts that, while understandable in the immediate aftermath of a bad result, are no use to anyone".

It is highly unusual for Ferrari to reveal its internal dealings in such a manner and it emphasises Di Montezemolo's strength of feeling about the situation.

The statement comes after a day after it emerged Alonso's manager had had a meeting with Red Bull team boss Christian Horner over the Hungarian GP weekend.

Sources say Alonso's manager, Luiz Garcia Abad, told Horner that the Spaniard was potentially available to partner Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull next year and would like the opportunity to do so.

Alonso, who lies third in the drivers' championship, 39 points behind leader Sebastian Vettel, insisted after the race that he was "very happy" at Ferrari.

Asked whether his representative had approached Red Bull, Alonso said: "I don't think so. Not that I know."

Abad told BBC Sport there had been "no discussions" with Horner.

The Ferrari statement will do little to quell the impression that all is not well between Ferrari and their star driver.

Sources close to Ferrari say the team are not entirely convinced Alonso always gets the best out the car in qualifying, while those close to Alonso say he feels he is constantly having to push to the absolute maximum to make up for an uncompetitive car.

Ferrari's admission that Di Montezemolo was unhappy with Alonso's public behaviour came on the same day that the team has signed Former Lotus Designer to lead their design department.

Allison's appointment as technical director chassis has seen the former occupant of that role, Pat Fry, moved to a new job as director of engineering.

Allison, who is one of F1's most highly regarded design engineers, joined Ferrari with the explicit approval of Alonso.

The two worked together at Renault when Alonso won his back-to-back titles in 2005 and 2006, when Allison was deputy technical director.

Prior to that, he worked at Ferrari for five years during the early 2000s, when they dominated the sport with Michael Schumacher.

Source: BBC F1

Note: Wasn't Alain Prost sacked for making poor remarks about his car in 1991? 

Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Alberto1978

From the moment I read the headline, I've stored the chances of this in the same cabinet as "odds on Button joining Red Bull shoot up" - absolutely nil.Redders1989

This.

Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Alberto1978

In equal equipment I reckon Fernando would walk all over Seb lolkipi19

At his best (2012-level)? Maybe. But this year he's been far from that. While Vettel only seems to be getting more solid.

sambob530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sambob530
Vettel proved himself in the Toro Rosso back in '08. I don't know what more people expect him to do. Winning 3 championships in a row isn't a fluke, Webber has the same car and the only time he's been consistently close was 2010. I think if Alonso and Kimi were in equal machinery it would not simply be a case of walking all over Vettel, but they would definitely give him a run for his money, more so than Webber ever did. It's a shame we'll probably never find out, but that is the nature of Formula One. Senna would not have won without his McLaren, Mansell without his Williams, Button without his Brawn, Schumacher without his Ferrari. Vettel and Red Bull is the perfect pairing of driver and car, as Hamilton and McLaren were in 2008, or Alonso in 2005/6. Without decent machinery, the driver is nothing, look at poor Hulkenburg, if he doesn't get a drive near the top soon I won't be a happy guy.
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Redders1989
Vettel proved himself in the Toro Rosso back in '08. I don't know what more people expect him to do.sambob530
Because he Schumacher'd 2011, it's why people don't like him.
Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Alberto1978
For starters, Vettel would qualify better than Alonso every time.
sambob530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sambob530

[QUOTE="sambob530"]Vettel proved himself in the Toro Rosso back in '08. I don't know what more people expect him to do.Redders1989

I think you're right, but Button Schumacher'd 2009 and everyone loves him still (including me :P ) Is it partly because he's German as well? 

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SadPSPAddict

For starters, Vettel would qualify better than Alonso every time.Alberto1978

That's one possibility. Certainly doing a great single lap is Vettel's main strength but I think everyone underestimates just how well Alonso is doing in a fairly poor car. Alonso is just as capable of stringing a decent lap together! 

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kipi19
Back in his Renault days, Alonso was phenomenal over one lap, took a fair few poles.
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Redders1989

[QUOTE="Redders1989"][QUOTE="sambob530"]Vettel proved himself in the Toro Rosso back in '08. I don't know what more people expect him to do.sambob530

I think you're right, but Button Schumacher'd 2009 and everyone loves him still (including me :P ) Is it partly because he's German as well? 

Button really Villeneuve'd 2009 rather than Schumacher'd - What people forget about that season though is Button was the only guy to score in 16 of the 17 rounds (more races than anyone else). It would've been 17/17 if not taken out of Belgium in lap one by... err... Romain Grosjean...
SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SadPSPAddict

[QUOTE="Redders1989"][QUOTE="sambob530"]Vettel proved himself in the Toro Rosso back in '08. I don't know what more people expect him to do.sambob530

But Button didn't really "Schumacher" 2009 though did he. Built a big lead in the first half of the season but struggled to close the deal as the other cars came back at the Brawn!

2011 on the other hand was the most boring season in recent history - made all the more so by the excitement of 2010!! OK not Vettel's fault that the Red Bull was far superior to all the other cars and equally not Vettel's fault that Webber couldn't mount a more serious challenge on "equal" footing. However the net affect of that is that a lot of people ( myself included ) now enjoy it when Vettel/Red Bull are struggling and/or less dominant! Vettel just isn't Schumacher - Michael had/has that undefinable something that sets a true "great" apart along with Senna and Prost! 

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Redders1989
Back in his Renault days, Alonso was phenomenal over one lap, took a fair few poles.kipi19
This was before he could extract 110% out of the car he was given. Given the right equipment, he'd be more dangerous now than ever before, but Ferrari keep letting him down with the car.
kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kipi19
I know, this is whats heavily frustrating, Sure Alonso was a bad person during the McLaren Saga, but now he is long past that, I like him again, Someone has to take down Vettel!
Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Alberto1978

Back in his Renault days, Alonso was phenomenal over one lap, took a fair few poles.kipi19

Back in his Renault days, indeed :P

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 garfield360uk
I have to say, I don't see this happening. Alonso does not like the idea of having an equal in team terms and Vettel does not seem keen on Alonso joining (he seemed to bite his tongue when asked if he would like Alonso as a team mate but liked the idea of Raikonnen). Would Red Bull be open to potentially upsetting Vettel? Or how about this for a curveball, Vettel and Alonso swap drives given the rumours that Vettel wanted to join Ferrari before he signed his contract extension. Who knows, crazy times indeed.
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Redders1989

MAGNUSSEN COULD REPLACE BIANCHI IN 2014

Marussia has emerged as a potential destination for the McLaren-backed rookie Kevin Magnussen in 2013.

This week, Marussia team boss John Booth admitted the team would like to keep its current drivers in 2014; well-funded Max Chilton, and the Ferrari-linked Jules Bianchi.

But as the Williams-bound Pat Symonds remarked as a parting shot recently, Marussia's "hands are tied" when it comes to needing to make its driver decisions with commercial implications in mind.

Enter Magnussen, the 20-year-old son of former Danish F1 driver Jan.

He is the cream of McLaren's development driver programme, impressing when he drove the British team's 2013 car at the recent Silverstone test.

Boss Martin Whitmarsh said afterwards that Magnussen deserves a place on the 2014 grid.

The youngster is leading this year's Formula Renault 3.5 series, clearly ahead of the likely 2014 Toro Rosso driver Antonio Felix da Costa, and the new Sauber protege Sergey Sirotkin.

Germany's Auto Motor und Sport said Whitmarsh wants to place Magnussen in F1 "as early as 2014, to give him a year of training without pressure".

"There are not many options," correspondent Michael Schmidt said. "One possibility would be Marussia."

McLaren already works with Marussia on the technical side, leasing its wind tunnel and simulator to the backmarker team.

Jules Bianchi was placed at Marussia this year, but Ferrari driver 'academy' chief Luca Baldisseri hinted a step into the midfield might be appropriate for the impressive French rookie for 2014.

"For the future," he said, "it will be important to know if his presence in formula one will have some continuity and in that case, what could be the potential of his team." 

SOURCE: Motorsport.com 

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 garfield360uk
If Bianchi can get a drive further up the field then fair enough, but this could impact Marussia and the Ferrari engine deal if they give their drivers seat to a rival team surely?
SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SadPSPAddict
Maybe - but they equally have a deal with McLaren for wind-tunnel testing etc
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Redders1989
Maybe - but they equally have a deal with McLaren for wind-tunnel testing etcSadPSPAddict
As far as I remember though, that deal ends at the end of this year when Ferrari step in with the engine deal. I may be wrong however.
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Redders1989

MASSA ADMITS 2014 SEAT IS AT RISK

Felipe Massa accepts he must raise his game in order to avoid being axed by Ferrari at the end of the current Formula 1 season.

The Brazilian began 2013 by out-qualifying Fernando Alonso in Australia and Malaysia, but his form has tailed off amid a flurry of accidents and mistakes in recent events.

That slump has led to renewed scrutiny of his place in the team, with Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo suggesting to Italian media that Massa is expected to deliver more consistent points in the second half of the year.

Massa is confident he can still decide his own fate, but admits he must lift his performances.

"The results will decide whether I stay here or move teams," he said.

"The possibility to stay is there, but the most important thing is the results.

"I'm happy with the way I'm driving in terms of pace - in qualifying and race pace.

"We just need to finish the races in the normal way and get consistency. In doing that, the results will be there."

Massa also faced constant speculation about his Ferrari future in last season's campaign, which he admitted contributed to his poor early form.

He turned things around after the summer break, claiming his first podium since in two years in the Korean Grand Prix and outscoring everyone but Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen over September and October.

He admits however that he cannot be certain of winning a similar reprieve this year, adding: "Until you sign the contract, you don't know."

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 garfield360uk
I hope they keep him around, get rid of Alonso and give him a winning car and I would be happy if he won the championship. He is one of the nice guys and I feel bad that he missed out a few years ago when Hamilton got it on the last corner. It would be nice to have him be a champion as I feel like he works hard for the team and gets very little recognition for the work he does to support Alonso.
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Redders1989

BUTTON: McLAREN NOT CONFIRMED 2014 SEAT YET

Jenson Button is still waiting for McLaren to confirm that he will be racing there next season.

The Briton hopes to remain at the Woking-based team for 2014, but has revealed that nothing is guaranteed as his bosses have yet to take up an option they have on him.

"I think I have a contract for next year, but I don't think it has a signature on it yet though," explained Button.

"I really want to be here next year. You might think that is strange after this season, but I think this year has been good for us in a way.

"We will be a much stronger team next year.

"I want to be here next year but I haven't heard the confirmation of that yet from the team and you have to wait for that."

Although there could be vacancies at both Red Bull and Ferrari next season, Button thinks that the seats will be taken by other drivers.

"I think Red Bull is done," he explained. "The Ferrari seat is a great opportunity for any driver in F1.

"To get the opportunity to race for a team like Ferrari is very exciting: what they have achieved, the passion in the team, and the culture is very interesting.

"Hopefully someone who deserves it will get the drive."

Jenson Button F1 McLaren 2013

With McLaren facing the final season of its partnership with Mercedes next year before a switch to Honda, the outfit will face major challenges if it is to fight for the championship.

But Button is still convinced that McLaren is the right place for him to be.

"There is a lot about the future that definitely appeals to me," he explained.

"It is very exciting and there are new challenges. Even next season for me, I am excited about it."

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 garfield360uk
Wait, I thought he signed some 8 year contract with them which pretty much made him a McLaren employee for life?
kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kipi19
I heard something like that too, but it seems as if his contract only up to this year with options to extend
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Redders1989

JAMES CALADO GETS FORCE INDIA RESERVE SEAT

Force India has signed James Calado as its new reserve and test driver, after impressing during his running in July's Young Driver Test.

The Briton will begin his duties at this weekend's Italian Grand Prix when he takes part in Friday's first free practice session for the team.

He will also get further outings over the remainder of the campaign.

Force India team principal Vijay Mallya said: "We worked with him during the Silverstone test (July) and he impressed everyone with his speed and consistency.

"We've always tried to support young drivers and this is a great opportunity for James to gain some valuable experience of driving during Formula 1 race events.

"James will take part in the opening free practice session on Friday (at Monza). He will also run in practice at several other races this year.

"It's always useful to get another driver's feedback on the car and it will help us evaluate James."

Despite his new role in F1, Calado will complete his GP2 campaign with ART Grand Prix. He currently lies fifth overall, having picked up one win and five podiums so far in 2013.

The Force India reserve role has proved to be a valuable stepping-stone for drivers hoping to make a full-time breakthrough in F1.

Nico Hulkenberg, Paul di Resta and Jules Bianchi are currently racing having been third drivers for the Silverstone-based team in the past.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Redders1989

RICCIARDO TO DRIVE FOR RED BULL IN 2014

Daniel Ricciardo will be Sebastian Vettel's team-mate in 2014, after Red Bull announced him as its new driver on Monday.

Following weeks of speculation about who would land the second seat at the reigning champion team, Red Bull confirmed Ricciardo on its own Servus TV channel.

Ricciardo will follow in the footsteps of his Australian compatriot Mark Webber and makes the switch from Red Bull's junior team Toro Rosso.

The destiny of the Red Bull seat has been the focus of Formula 1's silly season for weeks, with Ricciardo heading off tough opposition from Kimi Raikkonen for the prized drive.

Although he had been widely expected to get the drive ever since Raikkonen's management revealed last month that talks with the team had broken down, Red Bullstill delayed announcing its decision.

Team principal Christian Horner had suggested that the team wanted to know what other options were on offer - which included Raikkonen and an outside possibility of Fernando Alonso.

Although suggesting in Belgium that an announcement may not happen until after this weekend's Italian Grand Prix, Red Bull has elected to confirm its plans now.

Ricciardo will make the jump up to Red Bull after two full seasons with Toro Rosso, and a half campaign for the HRT team in 2011.

Dan's the man in 2014 

sambob530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sambob530
In other news, hell remains unfrozen :P
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Redders1989

Two stories courtesy of Sky:

- Kimi Raikkonen's manager has confirmed to Martin Brundle that Kimi's main priority is to re-sign with Lotus. Provided the technical and funding support is there, Kimi will stay.

- Monsiha Kaltenborn has confirmed if Sirotkin gets his superlicense, he will be a Sauber driver in 2014. 

sambob530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sambob530
Either hopefully to replace Guttierez or because Nico Hulkenburg has been snapped up by a better team, unfortunately I think that they need the money more so Hulkenburg will be out of a drive.
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Redders1989
No official word yet, but seems talk of Twitter is the deal of Raikkonen to Ferrari is done.