.:: 2013 German Grand Prix - 5-6-7 July ::.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Redders1989
Member since 2006 • 13410 Posts

photo GermanyF1PU_zps28ad9b74.jpg 

DID YOU KNOW?: Sebastian Vettel has neither won his home race, or a race held in the month of July.

POINTS OF DISCUSSION

1. Drastic measures have been taken to try and improve the safety of Pirelli's tyres after an alarming amount of failures during the British Grand Prix - do you believe that kerbs and debris were a factor in these tyre issues?
  2. Charlie Whiting said after the race that he very nearly threw out the red flag to stop the race - would this have been the right thing to do?
  3. Rumours are that Kovalainen could be back in a Caterham seat before the end of the season, at the expense of Giedo van der Garde - do you believe this will happen?
  4. Approaching the halfway point of the season, Force India continue to build themselves a gap from McLaren in the constructors championship - do you believe there is a genuine chance that the Silverstone squad could actually finish above McLaren at the end of the year?
  5. In Britain, Mercedes actually leapfrogged Ferrari in the constructors championship. Are they proving themselves to be legitimate title contenders to Red Bull now?

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Redders1989

F1 DRIVERS THREATEN TO BOYCOTT RACE IF TYRE ISSUES RETURN

Formula 1 drivers have warned that they will boycott the German Grand Prix if there is any repeat of the Silverstone tyre problems over the weekend.

Following a meeting of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) in the Nurburgring paddock on Thursday night, the body issued a strongly worded statement making clear its unhappiness at the current situation in F1.

Although Pirelli is adamant that the Kevlar-belted tyres it has brought to the Nurburgring will not suffer a repeat of the dramatic failures that blighted the race at Silverstone, the GPDA is not fully satisfied.

It has made it clear that if there are problems with the tyres at any point during the German Grand Prix weekend, then its members will withdraw.

The statement said: "The drivers of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association wish to express their deepest concerns about the events that took place at Silverstone.

"We trust that the changes made to the tyres will have the desired results and that similar problems will not occur during the German GP weekend.

"We are ready to drive our cars to the limit, as we always do, and as it is expected by our teams, sponsors and fans.

"However, the drivers have decided that, if similar problems should manifest themselves during the German GP, we shall immediately withdraw from the event, as this avoidable problem with the tyres endangers again the lives of drivers, marshals and fans."

Four drivers suffered blow-outs during the British GP - with Pirelli blaming a combination of low tyre pressures, adverse camber, tyre swapping and kerbs for the problems.

The new Kevlar-belted tyres used in the German GP will be for this event only, with a new specification - featuring 2012 construction and '13 compounds - being used from the Hungarian Grand Prix.

SOURCE: Autosport 

sambob530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 sambob530
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts

1. I'm sure they were a factor but not the sole cause or we would have seen more failures on other days.

2. Nobody was hurt, so in hindsight no, it wouldn't have been, but at the time, I don't know, nothing like this has happened before.

3. Giedo has had a rotten season so far, I wouldn't be surprised if Heikki jumped in the seat and scored Caterham's first points before the end of the season, the field is much tighter this year, especially with Williams' ongoing troubles.

4. Almost definitely, and maybe McLaren will slip further down the rankings. This is not their year, I imagine they'll already be focussing more on next year's car to capitalise on the rule changes, this season is a lost cause in my eyes.

5. If their improved handling of the tyres displayed in the UK and Canada is to be believed, then they are the fastest car on the grid, I could see Red Bull and Vettel being in some trouble if Mercedes really have turned their race pace around, especially with Vettel's DNF. Now Malaysia didn't seem like such a bad decision after all, Vettel needs every last point he can get to prevent a late season charge by Mercedes.

Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Alberto1978
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

1. Yep.

2.  Hm. As an expectator, no, since I wanted to see them race, but after 4 incidents, I would have done it, since the risks were no longer tolerable. I would have been quite angry, tough :P

3. Hope so, he was much more talented than most of "the rest" of the grid. I'd be glad to see him back.

4.  Considering the terrible season McLaren is doing, I would expect so. I wish some serious company would buy Force India, rename it and repaint those cars (both the name and the colors are ugly) and make of it a top team. They only need that extra financial push, and a talented driver with experience.

5.  I love you Redders, I really do, but what kind of question is that? There is no question,of course they are!

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

1. Possibly. Although Pirelli did say some teams weren't using their tires properly so...

2. Would have seemed like a good idea at the time. I was actually waiting for it to happen.

3. I sure hope so.

4. McLaren have a pretty bad car this year so I'm sure it'll happen.

5. If they've solved their tire issues, yes. 

Rayrota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rayrota
Member since 2005 • 1456 Posts

1. Not enough to cause this.

pneumatika-pirelli-silverstone-clanok.jp

2. I don't blame him. I would be thinking the same thing in his position. Thankfully, it didn't have to come to that.

3. It's starting to look that way. Hopefully Rossi will get a chance at the seat.

4. At this rate, it's a sure thing.

5. They're looking good, but they'll probably need Red Bull Racing to slip up along the way.

DID YOU KNOW?: With 171 points, Mercedes GP have already bettered their 2011 and 2012 results in only eight races. Currently, Mercedes GP are averaging 21.375 points a race after averaging 8.983 points a race in their previous seasons.

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 kipi19
Member since 2005 • 4590 Posts
The FIA will be making sure that teams are using the tyres the correct way round too, so this will be a good indicator as to who has the best package this weekend
Rayrota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rayrota
If you told me I was going to see a crash during FP3, I wouldn't think it was going to be on the Nordschleife.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

1. I feel it had to be much more than just 1 corner that lead to so many failures, but the fact that the tyres exploded rather than puncture is down to Pirelli. The corner may have caused some damage to the side walls, but these are not party balloons that pop at the slightest abrasion, they are designed to take huge pressures from high speeds, cornering, acceleration and braking. They can sustain (some) car to car contact, as well as brushing with the wall of champions in Canada. To put it down to the edge of a kerb on one corner? No.

Getting a puncture is one thing - having an exploding tyre is far more serious. The fact that Pirelli have moved so quickly back to a Kevlar construction suggests that had the same thing happened on a Kevlar based tyre we would only have seen a puncture, rather than an exploding tyre.

2. After the 3rd tyre explosion I was expecting a red flag, and thought that a safety car was an odd choice. If the tyres were exploding going down a straight (Vergne) then what benefit is there is running the cars slowly behind the safety car? It would get the cars to the end of the race, but it wouldn't be a race.

3. I would like to see Kovalainen back, though still wish he could be brought back into a decent car rather than a Caterham. For Caterham it must also be embarrassing, having got rid of him after last season (I think on financial grounds) and now have to ask him for help.

4. Force India being ahead of McLaren I feel has more to do with McLaren performing dreadfully compared to their usual standard, rather than because FI have made substantial gains or improvements. FI could be even further ahead if they didn't repeatedly screw up their quali sessions with di Resta.

5. Not sure about being title contenders, but certainly in competition with Ferrari for 2nd. I feel other events would have to go their way for Mercedes to win, so it's really Red Bull's title to lose.

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kipi19
Williams are going backwards... :(
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Redders1989
Well, erm... whoops Mercedes. Got one on pole but the other out in Q2...
Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Alberto1978

As a fan of Rosberg: FFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!

Good job from everyone else.

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kipi19
Daniel Ricciardo is really putting himself out there!!
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Redders1989
Daniel Ricciardo is really putting himself out there!!kipi19
Kimi who?
sambob530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sambob530
Just realised this weekend I have no access to Sky. This will be the first GP I've missed since Hungary 2006, and that was amazing. I guess the highlights will have to do :(
kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kipi19
Exactly ;)
Rayrota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Rayrota
Expect a massive fine coming Red Bull Racing's way.
Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Alberto1978
Plus a lawsuit (which may also affect the FIA). While I'm not an expert on the contracts and laws surrounding situations like this, I would be surprised if they covered personal harm because of such a mistake.
Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Alberto1978
Also these last laps are exciting as hell! : D
Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Redders1989

POST-RACE PENALTIES:

Force India have been fined 5,000 Euros for their unsafe pit release. 

Red Bull have been fined 30,000 Euros for their unsafe pit release, which injured a cameraman. 

kipi19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kipi19
That was inevitable, i'm just curious what could happen to Red Bull :?
sambob530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sambob530
Bianchi's car rolling down the hill on it's own was one of the most odd sights I've ever seen in F1, thank goodness nobody else was on the that part of the track at that moment.
Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Alberto1978
RB fined 30000 eur. for the cameraman incident. Was expecting a lot more tbh.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Any news on the cameraman (i.e. any injuries), I got the impression he was ok from the BBC replay but they did not really go into much more about it.

Also, dam it Riccairdo, every dam race I pick you, you fall back from your qualifying position. Also the one time I don't pick Lotus and Raikkonen and he scores points. RAIKKONEN!

Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Alberto1978

Any news on the cameraman (i.e. any injuries), I got the impression he was ok from the BBC replay but they did not really go into much more about it.Garfield360UK

According to the FIA: two broken ribs, a broken collarbone, concussion and bruises.  Other than that he seems to be fine, he'll be released from the hospital next week.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 garfield360uk

Ah man that is horrible, but on the positive side, it could have been far worse.

SoTD: Grosjean - man just think what might have been if he had got ahead of Vettel, he got the pass on Hamilton quite clean and had a good race and did the team player thing when needed to.

DoTD: Webber, yet another unlucky race and he makes the points after being dropped to the back. Raikkonen is a close second to this and Alonso deserves a mention although it seemed like he was quite close to Grosjean but for whatever reason did not seem to make a move to pass him.

Moan of the day: Button's "they should move over when I come to lap" - how dare they block you for one corner when racing (as it seems on the BBC coverage, the second placed Caterham was trying to get past the lead car of the two and then moved over when Button came on the inside on the next straight, hardly blocking in the sense we have seen in the past).

Also, any reasons given for Alonso stopping right at the end of the race?

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Redders1989
DoTD: Webber, yet another unlucky race and he makes the points after being dropped to the back.Garfield360UK
This, I didn't understand. The point of unlapping is to get lapped cars to the back of the field. As far as I'm aware, Webber WAS at the back of the pack... and then they let him through. Unless I'm mistaken and he wasn't at the back, the unlapping shouldn't have been allowed.

Also, any reasons given for Alonso stopping right at the end of the race?Garfield360UK
Fuel saving, I'm presuming. Must've been on fumes.

Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Alberto1978

Isn't there a rule against stopping because of lack of fuel?

Edit: According to El Pais (Spanish press), if it was due to fuel reasons, Alonso could be sanctioned. But I can't find the exact rule atm.

Rayrota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rayrota

Also the one time I don't pick Lotus and Raikkonen and he scores points. RAIKKONEN!

Garfield360UK

He always score points, you foolish man.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Redders1989
Isn't there a rule against stopping because of lack of fuel?Alberto1978
In qualifying, yes. Not in the race however.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 garfield360uk
[QUOTE="Garfield360UK"]

Also the one time I don't pick Lotus and Raikkonen and he scores points. RAIKKONEN!

Rayrota

He always score points, you foolish man.

Well his form recently has been low points scoring. My luck in this predictions championship is not good a the moment.

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#33 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

Very interesting race weekend. As Redders has already said - big Oooppss to Mercedes for qualifying as they did. Could have been a front row lock out again! Shame to see the modified tyres/warm weather brought back the Mercedes tyre wear problem again - albeit not quite as badly as we have seen before.

Disappointed to hear Hamilton moaning about the modified tyres - he was the loudest critic of the problems the week before, that problem got "solved" and now he is moaning again. Big Hamilton fan but very disappointed by that!

DotD - Vettel, yes I did say Vettel. He finally won a race without having the fastest car on track and/or all his rivals making mistakes. He was under a lot of pressure throughout, especially at the end, didn't manage to open the gap he usually does and hung on for victory. An impressive drive IMO

SotD - Grosjean. Fast without being dangerous and did as he was told for the good of the team at the end! Sure he could have kept Kimi behind him otherwise!

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Redders1989
DotD - Vettel, yes I did say Vettel.SadPSPAddict
Hell hath frozen over.
Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Alberto1978
Excuse my ignorance, but what does SotD mean? The "of the day" part is clear :P
SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SadPSPAddict

Excuse my ignorance, but what does SotD mean? The "of the day" part is clear :PAlberto1978

"Star" - doesn't have to be a driver - could be a marshall for doing something heroic or a commentator for saying something funny etc. 

Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Alberto1978
Oh, cool. Thanks!
Alberto1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Alberto1978

and Alonso deserves a mention Garfield360UK

Actually, I'm disappointed by his race. Not only did he qualify worse than Massa, his start was also worse. If Massa hasn't destroyed his car (what he does way too often), he could have been fighting for the third or even second place, especially considering how fast the Ferrari was the last third of the race.

I expect from Fernando, when he's at its best, to be able to perform noticeable better than Massa. Had he qualified better, and started better, he would, no doubt, have been fighting for the second place. Who knows, even the first. But he was not at his best, not close. We saw a glimpse of that near the end, but it was too late.

Redders1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Redders1989
Sebastian Vettel became the second quickest driver to achieve 30 career wins in Formula One on Sunday (110 starts). The only man to have done it quicker? Michael Schumacher, who took one less race to do it.
Rayrota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rayrota

SotD - Grosjean. Fast without being dangerous and did as he was told for the good of the team at the end! Sure he could have kept Kimi behind him otherwise!

SadPSPAddict

http://24.media.tumblr.com/de79b1377a2847d7d381b496ba6d0655/tumblr_mpkph9k7Au1s0dbnko1_1280.jpg 

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SadPSPAddict
Yes - very good :lol: