what are the numbers besides the health bar

#1 Posted by racing247 (42 posts) -

What are the number besides the health bar and what do i do to make it go up or is it bad, every video i have seen so far there number is zero mine is at 34 right now? Thanks

#2 Edited by Lostlight88 (41 posts) -

That number represents your 'active' humanity. By using a humanity from your item list, you increase that number, or by killing a certain amount of enemies. Killing an invader also yields 1 point.

'Active' humanity has various uses:

-increases item drop rate. It stops increasing when you have 10 or more in your top left corner

-without spoiling anything, having 'active' humanity increases weapon damage for some weapons in the game

-you can use it to turn back to being human when you're hollow

-you can use it to 'kindle' the bonfire to increase the amount of Estus you carry.

-increases you physical defense immensely at lower levels. But the effect diminishes as you gain levels.

So there are some benefits to keeping that number high. But also a lot of risks:

-when you die, you have 1 chance to retrieve your souls/active humanity at the place you died. Die again, and you lose everything

-humanity isn't easy to come by later on. In the beginning, they shower you with it, yes. But later you will depend on killing invaders, or helping others defeat bosses.

-losing all humanity you have (the top left number, as well as in your inventory) will render you unable to kindle bonfires, or return to human form. No human form = nobody can help YOU with bosses.

So all in all, big rewards if you keep that number high, but also big risks of losing all that. Seeing as it gets a bit rare later in the game, do not die. If you must, then at least retrieve your body where you died.

For any further questions, or help, you can add me on PSN: Torva_Messorem88.

Assuming you have the ps3 version. Good luck!

#3 Posted by TazmanianD (1416 posts) -

@lostlight88 said:
-humanity isn't easy to come by later on. In the beginning, they shower you with it, yes. But later you will depend on killing invaders, or helping others defeat bosses.

Without spoiling it by saying where or how, it's possible to farm humanity all the way to almost the very end of the game. Maybe it's cheesy, but it does make humanity less precious (and I'm not talking about killing lots of enemies in an area that still has a boss).

#4 Edited by Lostlight88 (41 posts) -

@TazmanianD: yeah but i'm assuming here that he doesnt know from which enemy. the drop rates for it are also relatively low so theres a good chance he might not even find out on his first playthrough. and i dont think i wanna tell him cuss then he IS gonna farm them. which is hazardous in 2 ways: he wont feel the pressure anymore of being low on humanity so he cannot summon before a boss. and second, farming is extremely boring.