Are we going to bother with this forum?

Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3554 posts) 10 months, 14 days ago

Poll: Are we going to bother with this forum? (31 votes)

Yes. 65%
No. 42%

Thought I'd throw this up here to see what traffic this forum now gets as you have to fight to find it.

This picture sums up my thoughts on the new GS forums.

Comment here for any GS staff that may be looking........

#1 Posted by 04dcarraher (19171 posts) -

They need to add it to the main list of boards.

#2 Posted by General_X (9027 posts) -

I think having the board online for more time than it is offline would certainly help, also it would be nice if we could bring back the old threads that were here before.

As carraher mentioned listing this board as a main one would help too, pretty much the only people that will find it are those that already know it exists and have the link to it handy.

#3 Edited by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

I remember seeing this board linked in the rules for PC games.

#4 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2569 posts) -

What a joke.

#5 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

My post from 2004 in the folding at home thread is gone. =(((((

#6 Posted by kraken2109 (12978 posts) -

Assuming at some point this gets linked in the forum list yes.

PC and Mac games forum cannot also host hardware and audio/video

#7 Edited by blaznwiipspman1 (6028 posts) -

yes, ive been here since about 2004 (different username) but yeah that much time builds some kind of loyalty.

#8 Posted by Snotweasel530 (635 posts) -

The real question should be, is anyone gonna bother with this entire site now?

#9 Posted by topgunmv (10142 posts) -

Assuming at some point this gets linked in the forum list yes.

PC and Mac games forum cannot also host hardware and audio/video

#10 Edited by blaznwiipspman1 (6028 posts) -

this is true...the reviews of most games were worthless to begin with, only the forums were cool....i guess it might be time to look for an alternative.

#11 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

@Snotweasel530 said:

this is true...the reviews of most games were worthless to begin with, only the forums were cool....i guess it might be time to look for an alternative.

Been coming here for well over a decade and I have never once read a review.

#12 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

I never came here for reviews. I only came for the unions. now im just waiting for the "union boards" to be implemented.

#14 Edited by Hexagon_777 (20034 posts) -

Why the fook wouldn't GameSpot put Computer Hardware Discussion on the forum list? Is it afraid of scaring away the casual crowd or some nonsense like that? Is too much choice a bad thing? All this update did is take away options as far as I am aware.

#15 Posted by kraken2109 (12978 posts) -

Has anybody mentioned this to a mod?

#16 Edited by sethman410 (2899 posts) -

This is crazy. GS used to be awesome. I miss all the gifs, memes, sigs, those specific forums, and all. But now all of the sudden it feels like just a plain average forum. WTF man...

#17 Edited by Hexagon_777 (20034 posts) -

This is crazy. GS used to be awesome. I miss all the gifs, memes, sigs, those specific forums, and all. But now all of the sudden it feels like just a plain average forum. WTF man...

GameSpot just takes and takes and takes but doesn't give back. It better lose advertising bucks over this nonsense. Might open its eyes just a tiny bit.

#18 Edited by comp_atkins (31213 posts) -

didn't even know it existed.. the new GS sucks so many ballz.

#19 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

well sigs are still around. they are just turned off by default.

#20 Posted by General_X (9027 posts) -

@leon2365 said:

well sigs are still around. they are just turned off by default.

:O What is this sorcery?

Damn it Gamespot!

#21 Posted by gbrading (8057 posts) -

I had no idea that the Hardware Forum had been recreated. It's a shame that all the historical information is still merged into the PC Forum. I will see if this can be demerged.

#22 Edited by Caddy (28709 posts) -

Has anybody mentioned this to a mod?

We can only suggest it to the staff, I'm afraid. I would also like this board to exist like it did on the previous version of the site.

#23 Posted by jpm27 (355 posts) -

I've been registered since like '03 but have been coming here for the hardware forum well before even that. Even though I don't post much, the hardware forum has been 90% of the reason I come to GS. Having it just disappear has been like having friends just drop off the face of the earth. If I hadn't seen blaznwiipspman1 post in the pc games forum who knows how long before I would have found it. I'm sure there are a ton of others that won't find it unless it gets listed on the main forum page.

#24 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

@jpm27 said:

I've been registered since like '03 but have been coming here for the hardware forum well before even that. Even though I don't post much, the hardware forum has been 90% of the reason I come to GS. Having it just disappear has been like having friends just drop off the face of the earth. If I hadn't seen blaznwiipspman1 post in the pc games forum who knows how long before I would have found it. I'm sure there are a ton of others that won't find it unless it gets listed on the main forum page.

My old computer hardware bookmark brings me here.

#25 Posted by subyman (1719 posts) -

How do you get to this forum? I happened upon it from my friend's feed. I tried to go to the main PC forum thinking there was a subforum listed there to no avail. Hopefully we get more forums listed in the main section else I don't see them being as good as they were.

#26 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

@subyman said:

How do you get to this forum? I happened upon it from my friend's feed. I tried to go to the main PC forum thinking there was a subforum listed there to no avail. Hopefully we get more forums listed in the main section else I don't see them being as good as they were.

bookmark

#27 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

GS better add this board back to the main list soon. I'm about to do an upgrade and am going to need some advice

#28 Posted by darksusperia (6898 posts) -

this is insane. site sucks so bad atm

#29 Posted by kraken2109 (12978 posts) -

You can also add this forum to favourites and then find it more easily.

#30 Edited by subyman (1719 posts) -

I did add to my favorites. I'm sure they will add more of these sub forums back to the main forum page.

#31 Edited by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

the way I found this place was through the rules thread in the pc and mac games forum.

#32 Posted by Marfoo (5993 posts) -

I'll just keep it bookmarked. Maybe we can have a little more advanced topics here other than the usual "I don't know what to buy" threads. We can talk preferred cooling, review parts, overclocking etc... ?

#33 Edited by kraken2109 (12978 posts) -

@Marfoo said:

I'll just keep it bookmarked. Maybe we can have a little more advanced topics here other than the usual "I don't know what to buy" threads. We can talk preferred cooling, review parts, overclocking etc... ?

Well we had the big benchmark and rate my setup threads but they got moved to pc+mac games

#34 Posted by abuabed (6606 posts) -

I used to visit these forums a lot but GS is just ruining what's left over of this site :(

#35 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

A lot of the PCHW guys left a few years back and made their own forum, www.the-teh.com, they are kinda slow now, but it would be a good alternative if gs keeps screwing us over.

#36 Edited by Marfoo (5993 posts) -
@GummiRaccoon said:

A lot of the PCHW guys left a few years back and made their own forum, www.the-teh.com, they are kinda slow now, but it would be a good alternative if gs keeps screwing us over.

Has anyone sent a formal request to GS yet about restoring a link to the PC hardware forum? It definitely had enough traffic on the old site to hold its own. If not, we should get on that.

#37 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3554 posts) -

@Marfoo said:
@GummiRaccoon said:

Has anyone sent a formal request to GS yet about restoring a link to the PC hardware forum? It definitely had enough traffic on the old site to hold its own. If not, we should get on that.

I'm already on it like a car bonnet

#38 Posted by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

it has been listed in the requests that people would like the PC forums split again.

#39 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7293 posts) -

Lol, the old link works! I think they should bring it back, and we can eat up the general hardware stuff too into one section.

#40 Edited by leon2365 (13050 posts) -

guess we just have to wait and see.

#41 Posted by Horgen (110016 posts) -

They need to add it to the main list of boards.

This. Frankly I didn't even know this board existed.

#42 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4097 posts) -

I feel like if we get everyone to add it to their favorite boards, they might be more likely to add it to the forum list.

#43 Posted by Horgen (110016 posts) -

I feel like if we get everyone to add it to their favorite boards, they might be more likely to add it to the forum list.

Eh for that to happen, we need to say that that's something we really want to happen in the thread that acanofcoke linked too in pc and mac discussions. Here is the linked thread.

As for why. Well what comes to my mind first is that this board is the most natural place to ask for concerning hardware for computers and or maybe audio. Then again GS wants board with activity in them and because of that are willing to merge some boards/not split them up again.