amorphe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 amorphe
Member since 2005 • 382 Posts
When would be a good time to not open a game after it is bought?
I normally don't open them if they are older consoles that aren't making games anymore or if it is a super special edition that I can get the regular of pretty cheaply(aka growlancer).
Any thoughts?
keiblerfan69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 keiblerfan69
Member since 2004 • 15237 Posts
Well I won't open a sealed Dreamcast game so thats when I don't. But I was tempted to not open Chaos Field for GC but I really wanted to play it. I'll track down another copy to keep sealed.
usagi704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 usagi704
Member since 2003 • 2058 Posts
The only time I would do it is if I had extra copies of a game.
GoreObsessed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 GoreObsessed
Member since 2004 • 8883 Posts
If for some reason I have an extra copy of a game or I know for sure that a copy of a game is rare I'll keep it sealed.
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#5 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts
keep any dupes in its original seal!
propyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 propyro
Member since 2005 • 6736 Posts
Yea, what everyone else is saying. Sealed duplicates should be kept sealed.
gamefreak1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 gamefreak1972
Member since 2004 • 598 Posts

The only time a game is kept sealed is if I

1) havent had a chance to open it and play it yet, or

2) I bought it for collection purposes and it was meant to stay sealed.

Currently, I only have like 3 games that meet #2 because its something I really dont do:  I wanted to get a sealed set of RE games, so I've got RE2,3, CV for the Cube still sealed.  Lame, I know....but thats as far as I've gotten. :) 

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts

I don't have a reason that hasn't been mentioned, but I do have some trivia.  About 10% of my games have never been opened, not counting double unopened copies.

Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#9 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts
I only have 2 reasons, 1. I'll never play it. 2. it's extra
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#10 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
I've never run into that circumstance.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 waflerevolution
I've never run into that circumstance.ebbderelict

you have never got a free game before, not even for a gift?
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 falconclan
games should always be played, anyone who hasnt opened a game after they bought it are (a). people who wanted the game for profit ala ebay. (b). Trying to be a "collector" (which i personally think is bull **** because i think games should be played...)

Of course sealed dupes are okay to keep sealed, because you'll probrably want to sell or trade them someday for games you dont have...
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gmsnpr

games should always be played, anyone who hasnt opened a game after they bought it are (a). people who wanted the game for profit ala ebay. (b). Trying to be a "collector" (which i personally think is bull **** because i think games should be played...) EDIT or (c). don't have a lot of game playing time and have 1200 open games already waiting to be played.

Of course sealed dupes are okay to keep sealed, because you'll probrably want to sell or trade them someday for games you dont have...
falconclan

Commented.  Also, I think that the days of me only "trying" to be a collector have passed.

falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 falconclan

[QUOTE="falconclan"] games should always be played, anyone who hasnt opened a game after they bought it are (a). people who wanted the game for profit ala ebay. (b). Trying to be a "collector" (which i personally think is bull **** because i think games should be played...) EDIT or (c). don't have a lot of game playing time and have 1200 open games already waiting to be played.

gmsnpr

Commented. Also, I think that the days of me only "trying" to be a collector have passed.

does that mean you agree with me?
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#15 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]

Oh sure, but I've never run into a circumstance where I don't think I should open it. And almost exclusively, the gift games I get are ones I asked for, so I'm gonna wanna play it.
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gmsnpr

Partly.  I agree that the two reasons that you listed are reasons why some people don't open games.  Then I added another reason that most directly pertains to me.  I don't think that all games must be played, but I think that all games should eventually be played, though you and I listed reasons why the buyer of a game might not open a sealed game.  Whether those reasons are good or justifiable is up to interpretation.

For me, there is a parallel between a game system and a musical instrument and there is a parallel between a video game and a piece of music.  If the game or piece of music is never played, does the game or piece of music still have its original purpose, or does it become just an object?

waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="ebbderelict"][QUOTE="waflerevolution"]

Oh sure, but I've never run into a circumstance where I don't think I should open it. And almost exclusively, the gift games I get are ones I asked for, so I'm gonna wanna play it.

let's say someone gives you a Barbie, blue's clues or seasame street game, it's sealed, do yuou open it? I agree with the option C snpr added, I'll open more if I EVER find the time to play them all....
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 falconclan
well your c answer was ok, but i dont think you should get a game you cant play soon unless its rare... If its not rare you might as well wait, because who knows? maybe there will be a price drop or a sale (awww, pc games have a lot of angry moments when you buy the game at launch then 10 days later theres a $20 sale on it... (FEAR >: ( ). there is no point in having games just to have them lay around...
amorphe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#19 amorphe
Member since 2005 • 382 Posts

well your c answer was ok, but i dont think you should get a game you cant play soon unless its rare... If its not rare you might as well wait, because who knows? maybe there will be a price drop or a sale (awww, pc games have a lot of angry moments when you buy the game at launch then 10 days later theres a $20 sale on it... (FEAR >: ( ). there is no point in having games just to have them lay around... falconclan

Some times the price goes up if you don't buy it right away.  ie Nocturne, Valkyre Profile

I got 20 - 30 seal NES games that I don't intend to open.  If you found a box of NES games would you open them? 

p.s. wizardry and final fantasy are in said box

falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 falconclan

[QUOTE="falconclan"]well your c answer was ok, but i dont think you should get a game you cant play soon unless its rare... If its not rare you might as well wait, because who knows? maybe there will be a price drop or a sale (awww, pc games have a lot of angry moments when you buy the game at launch then 10 days later theres a $20 sale on it... (FEAR >: ( ). there is no point in having games just to have them lay around... amorphe

Some times the price goes up if you don't buy it right away. ie Nocturne, Valkyre Profile

I got 20 - 30 seal NES games that I don't intend to open. If you found a box of NES games would you open them?

p.s. wizardry and final fantasy are in said box

there are obvious exceptions to almost any rule, of course you wouldnt open a game that could be worth 500 some day, but you might as well track another copy down...