Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Mamba219
Member since 2006 • 406 Posts

Hey all,

As most of you learned from my spotlight earlier, my wife isn't exactly the biggest video game fan. However, in the past few weeks, she's been trying to get into the hobby. Whether this was borne out of the fact that she's basically sitting all alone in a small one bedroom apartment all day while yours truly goes off and works with little to do, or because she genuinely wants to spend time with me (hopefully the latter!) I cannot say, but anyway, she's trying.

Now initially, she was trying to cut her teeth on the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Now most of you probably guessed this, but that's not exactly the best game to start playing when you've never really played a video game before. The controls are difficult for a newcomer (particularly since she was attempting to play the Gamecube remake of it), and the game is vast and complicated. After around a week of wrestling with the controls and not being able to beat the first dungeon, she gave up on it, and hasn't touched a game since. She still expresses interest, but she wants me to get her started with some easier games.

I hesitate to start with the Wii, simply because I'm not a fan of the system and believe that most of the games which have been and are going to be released for it are basically garbage. Not only that but the control scheme is so different from what I term "actual games" as to be counterproductive. Basically I've been thinking along the lines of either some good DS games, or maybe some actual game-like Wii games like Mario Galaxy or Trauma Center.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions as to games that would be better suited to getting someone new into gaming. Bear in mind that anything really complicated will basically not work.

Dymond7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#2 Dymond7
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts
I'm not sure, Start her up with No More Heroes, that game is easy, well for me it is, and a ton of fun.
jollyroger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 jollyroger78
Member since 2005 • 2551 Posts
I've beat my head against a wall thinking about this today...and I keep coming back to racing games. Something like Mario Kart, perhaps. Sure, the first couple times she'll crash into the wall a bunch and finish 8th, but after a race or two, it'll start to click and she'll start moving up. Just a thought.
inkwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 inkwolf
Member since 2003 • 1159 Posts

Trauma Center.Mamba219

That's a great game, but it's NOT for a beginner.

I'll come up with some more suggestions later, but for now, see if you have any two player cooperative games. Then you can play together and can help her out if she needs it. And I emphasize cooperative like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, or River City Ransom, not two player competitive like a racing game or fighting game.

Edit: Ok, I've looked through your collection. (You've got a nice selection of really quality games, by the way. Kudos) I see you have X-Men Legends, and that, I believe, is cooperative like Baldur's Gate: DA, so maybe you'd like to play through that one with her. I played through Baldur's Gate: DA and it's sequel, as well as Champions of Norrath and it's sequel with my wife, and we had a blast.

As far as solo play for her during the day, I'd recommend: Burnout 3: Takedown, ICO, and Katamari Damacy. Assuming your wife can drive (which should be a safe assumption) then Burnout shouldn't be too much of a leap :P, and for the most part you only need to worry about steering and acceleration. Plus, as I'm sure you know, the game is incredibly fun! Katamari is also pretty darn simple, both conceptually and control-wise, and again, is alot of fun. I think I remember ICO being fairy easy to control and minimalistic (i.e. no inventory to fumble with, etc.) and can really pull you in.

Good luck.

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

I suggest a co-op game that you can play together (so she can get the swing of it) but that she can also play when you are not around. Blizard's Lost Vikings is such a game. It is a 2D level puzzler that has a fair difficulty ramp-up that keep game-play fun and challenging. It was released for the Gen, SNES and PS1 (and on handhelds).

Harvest Moon (any of the 2d ones) is a good way to start as well.

A game like Hot Shots Golf (any version) is a good way to go as well.

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

I'm not sure, Start her up with No More Heroes, that game is easy, well for me it is, and a ton of fun.Dymond7

Brilliant game, but it relies on a good knowledge of gaming conventions, a n00b would get frustrated quickly.

Transcendent game though, one in a 1,000 type game.

GAMECAMILLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#7 GAMECAMILLER
Member since 2005 • 4994 Posts

I suggest a co-op game that you can play together

aspro73
best advice there. and also be patient. :P sometimes as gamers we can be impatient with non-gamers.
inkwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 inkwolf
Member since 2003 • 1159 Posts
Mamba, I'm surprised you don't have any of the Karaoke Revolution games. That'd be fun to play together. They've even got some Michael Jackson songs on there (Beat It, Billie Jean, Rock With You, etc.) and I know how much you like The Gloved One. :)
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9588 Posts
Start on the SNES if you have it!!! There are a ton of games for starters... Try Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, the Donkey Kong series... etc. etc.. Now I know you don't really like the Wii, but I would strongly suggest it!!! It got my wife into gaming! Now I know a lot of the games are slow, but if you play them together, it will show her you want to play what she wants to play and it will also up her confidence! The Wii opened the door for the DS, Super NES, GEN, and even PS2 and PS3 for my wife!!! 8) She has recently really taken a liking to RPG's *shock*!!! :D You would probably really like the Wii if you and your wife played some party games together like Mario Party 8, Carnival Games, Cocoto Magic Circus, etc. etc... Try playing an RPG together that is turn based like Dragon Quest 8 or Final Fantasy X, the slow as you want approach is a very good speed for new players and it opens a door to the imagination! Plus you can both give ideas and spend penty of time together ;) Good Luck man!
totalgridlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#10 totalgridlock
Member since 2004 • 1269 Posts

I think racing games are a good bet, anything from Mario Kart to PGR.

I'd also try and track down games where you can't die. It takes away some of the disappointment and frustration, so stuff like the Lego Star Wars/Indy games would be good. I would also suggest some non-action games like puzzles and Harvest Moon/Viva Pinata type games. Old-school adventures are another possibility, Sam & Max etc.

I think the RPG suggestion is a good one. A good turn-based RPG lets you make decisions at your own speed and generally don't reward quick fingers or penalise slower playing. They can be a bit more forgving too: make a mistake in an RPG battle and you miss a turn but usually are still good to go. Make a mistake in the heat of a frenzied first-person shoot-out and you're dead.

There are lots of options. My suggestion is just keep on trying different types of games, maybe 2-player games and help her along (or let her win a few times).

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Mamba219
Member since 2006 • 406 Posts

Going to attempt a quick reply here, will probably make a longer one when I'm not at work.

RPGs won't work, they're too long. In a month, we'll only be seeing each other on weekends basically and have other plans than video games for that time.

Older games (SNES, NES) won't work, because she's not interested in them. I think it's stupid, but she's refused me before and will refuse me again. Maybe somewhere down the line.

I only have one cooperative game...X-Men Legends. She is definetely not interested in it simply because it's X-Men. She liked the first two movies but that's about it, lol. Only other cooperative games I know of are FPS's (definetely not) and Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, which I don't have right now. Plus I think she'd mostly want to game when I'm not there.

She loved Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town when she played it a few years ago. I can probably try some new Harvest Moons.

Oh, and, she's actually enjoyed Trauma Center, from what I can tell. Bought that yesterday.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9588 Posts
Only on weekends huh? Well then I would say dinner and a movie may be more up her alley! I'm not saying not to keep trying, but I'm sure if the two of you have limited time together the reason she doesn't like too many games is because she thinks it takes up to much of your time, and she wants to spend some quality time with you. Take her out to a movie of her choice and dinner (set up reservation ahead of time *they like that*) and casually bring up the fact you have a game you would like to play with her when you get home! I don't know man... sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place... but it might work :| If bringing up the game pisses her off then she may just not be the gamer type of person. *Also there are a ton of great games including harvest moon titles on the DS* I'm not Dr. Phil so if you think this sounds ignorant just ignore it... I'm just tryin to help.. 8) Figured if it was good for a post you were desperate and open for suggestions...
guinness4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 guinness4life
Member since 2004 • 306 Posts

Try the Wii, esp the wii zapper or whatever it's called (the included zelda game is dynamite).

My parents, (disabled adult) students, and brother really like that. Not gamers, at all.

I wouldn't go with No More Heroes. While I'm sure it's a great game, it has a story, which requires a commitment of sorts that a new gamer might not be willing to give. It's also very male oriented, if it's anything like Killer 7.

Other than Wii, I'd recommend more adult-oriented adventure games like The Longest Journey, its sequel Dreamfall, the Syberia games and PC adventure games that are pick up and play, and relatively free of misogynism. Most are also available for xbox.

Maybe puzzle games too. I've never met a woman that didn't like Tetris or Lumines.

If she liked HM, go with that. Also try the The Sims, Jurassic Park: Project Genesis, Thrillville and Sid Meier's Pirates if she likes strategy/sim kind of games. I hear The movies was rather good too, but I haven't played that one yet.

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#14 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

I was in a similar boat, if the game did not have the word "Star" or "Revolution" in the title and was not bundled with a Dancepad or a Mic, she was not interest in the least.

I did my best with the cutsie Shrek and Meet the Robinsons games which are fairly easy and it just didn't sell.

Aside from Kirby on the original NES there really was nothing that she wanted to play that was not the standard junk.

But much to my surprise, I was playing Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution one afternoon and she sat with me and watched me play for an hour or so, and after I laid waste to the hated Greek's and won a glorious domination victory, I was about to power down and she said "let me have at it"

She opted to play as the English on simplist setting with the tutorial on, and played for nearly three hours. Now she is pretty hooked. Civ is modern enough, yet simple enough for anyone. Of course it helps that it may be more addictive then smack.

Just my $0.02

gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts

My wife and sister-in-law had never touched a game until they met me, but I've slowly found games that they enjoy. They play puzzle titles like Columns, Puyo Pop, and Hexic even solo. When we are together, they love Bomberman, fishing games, Donkey Konga, and now, Wii Sports.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

try fighting games or platformers...easy to get into both. hard to master the former...the latter is cake.

edit: or try super paper mario or paper mario:thousand year door for more rpg. oh btw...try to take it easy on fighting games shes not going to want to play soo much if you beat her 2 much. just enough where it might motivate her to get better. its how i started my sister. or like someone above said, try playing a game in front of her

Dymond7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 Dymond7
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts

Going to attempt a quick reply here, will probably make a longer one when I'm not at work.

RPGs won't work, they're too long. In a month, we'll only be seeing each other on weekends basically and have other plans than video games for that time.

Older games (SNES, NES) won't work, because she's not interested in them. I think it's stupid, but she's refused me before and will refuse me again. Maybe somewhere down the line.

I only have one cooperative game...X-Men Legends. She is definetely not interested in it simply because it's X-Men. She liked the first two movies but that's about it, lol. Only other cooperative games I know of are FPS's (definetely not) and Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, which I don't have right now. Plus I think she'd mostly want to game when I'm not there.

She loved Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town when she played it a few years ago. I can probably try some new Harvest Moons.

Oh, and, she's actually enjoyed Trauma Center, from what I can tell. Bought that yesterday.

Mamba219

Ok... she is one picky person, just make her play Brawl or any other Smash game you have and let her win a few times.

FredGoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FredGoon
Member since 2006 • 8508 Posts
If she is new to gaming, try causel games like Brain training, Wii Fit, ect. then gradually get her into more hardcore games.