Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

There was a time not too long ago when I could got to a local swap meet (flea market in most of the US) and pick up Dragon Warrior for the NES for $3 (I actually did this).  So long as you dressed like a bum and looked harmless most people would take pity on you when you asked how much they wanted for what they presumed was a now-worthless game from 20 years ago.

I went to the swap meet last week, and now it's a different story.  "How much do you want for these old games?" I'd ask.  "Different prices" is now the response.  Duck Hunt?  That's still $3.  You want a copy of Dragon Warrior 3?  That will be $15.  It was like this at every stall.  And these aren't hipsters who purvey in games exclusively, this is from trash peddlers who are also selling ceramic tigers, second-hand shoes and old National Geographics.

Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

#2 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts
I picked up dragon warrior for $1 at a flea market... now adays the yard sale prices of games are going beyond affordable as well. $10 for terrible condition game boy games?! $5 for cart only genesis sports games?! $50 for a naked saturn?! this is madness.
usagi704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 usagi704
Member since 2003 • 2058 Posts
You are right, it isn't that they are clueless...now they are just stupid.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 waflerevolution
You are right, it isn't that they are clueless...now they are just stupid.usagi704
and greedy
usagi704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 usagi704
Member since 2003 • 2058 Posts
[QUOTE="usagi704"]You are right, it isn't that they are clueless...now they are just stupid.waflerevolution
and greedy

Yup.
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts
    There's more than the Internet to blame (and I use the term "blame" loosely). The publication of physical price guides and magazines like Video Game Collector have also increased awareness of vintage game values. I think also that people are developing an "Antiques Road Show " mentality about anything that they try to sell. Suddenly, objects that look remotely old must be priceless relics of the past, whether a cracked pitcher that your Great-Grandma owned or a  mint, complete copy of Mach Rider on the NES.
   There are benefits to this. First, it increases attention on older games, which causes people to scour their closets, attics, and basements for old systems and games to sell, which causes an increased supply of older games in the market. This makes it more likely that the classics get played by new hobbyists as well as makes it more likely that what you want to collect will appear. Second, it decreases the likelihood that people are going to throw boxed NES Deluxe Sets in the trash (though that's how I got mine). Third, it puts gaming and game collecting more into the mainstream, which causes all of our collections to be just a little more desirable and, consequently, valuable. I don't collect with the intent of selling my games at a profit later, but I won't complain if the option is there.
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts
[QUOTE="gmsnpr"] There's more than the Internet to blame (and I use the term "blame" loosely). The publication of physical price guides and magazines like Video Game Collector have also increased awareness of vintage game values. I think also that people are developing an "Antiques Road Show " mentality about anything that they try to sell. Suddenly, objects that look remotely old must be priceless relics of the past, whether a cracked pitcher that your Great-Grandma owned or a mint, complete copy of Mach Rider on the NES.
There are benefits to this. First, it increases attention on older games, which causes people to scour their closets, attics, and basements for old systems and games to sell, which causes an increased supply of older games in the market. This makes it more likely that the classics get played by new hobbyists as well as makes it more likely that what you want to collect will appear. Second, it decreases the likelihood that people are going to throw boxed NES Deluxe Sets in the trash (though that's how I got mine). Third, it puts gaming and game collecting more into the mainstream, which causes all of our collections to be just a little more desirable and, consequently, valuable. I don't collect with the intent of selling my games at a profit later, but I won't complain if the option is there.

Thats the flipside to the equation that I did not consider. The higher awareness means that far fewer Panzer Dragoon Saga's are being thrown into the trash and are heading to Ebay. Off topic, I am starting to question how rare that game actually is since there ahave always been at least 14 of them on Ebay since Ebay began.
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#8 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts
For the most part yes. I have noticed that my local gamestores prices have acctually gone up quite a bit >_< which is unusual as it used to be the older the game the cheaper, so if you were to find a really awesomely rare NES game for $5 it wouldnt be that unusual >_< DAMN IT!

Though they are still very good though >_> sega 32x for $15 FTW.
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts
[QUOTE="aspro73"]
Thats the flipside to the equation that I did not consider. The higher awareness means that far fewer Panzer Dragoon Saga's are being thrown into the trash and are heading to Ebay. Off topic, I am starting to question how rare that game actually is since there ahave always been at least 14 of them on Ebay since Ebay began.

I'm told that there were 5000 copies of that game printed, as well as 5000 of House of the Dead.  They were released on the same day, too, I think.  Perhaps SHEATH can confirm.

amorphe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 amorphe
Member since 2005 • 382 Posts
I would also say that used game stores also helped in the culling of the clueless masses.  When people walk into a store and see that we actually sell the old games for more then pennies it gets them thinking about that stack of games they have in the closet.  I've actually had a kid come in one day and price like 10 games so that he could undercut our prices by a buck the next day at his parents garage sale.

While it is slim pickings at most garage sales every great once in a while you'll catch some parent eager to get rid of his kid's "toys" and pick up a decent deal, but as you've said before those are getting fewer and further in between.  Right now I don't really go to garage sales unless it is blockwide one.  There you at least have a chance of finding something without a crazy price tag.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 waflerevolution
I would also say that used game stores also helped in the culling of the clueless masses. When people walk into a store and see that we actually sell the old games for more then pennies it gets them thinking about that stack of games they have in the closet. I've actually had a kid come in one day and price like 10 games so that he could undercut our prices by a buck the next day at his parents garage sale.

While it is slim pickings at most garage sales every great once in a while you'll catch some parent eager to get rid of his kid's "toys" and pick up a decent deal, but as you've said before those are getting fewer and further in between. Right now I don't really go to garage sales unless it is blockwide one. There you at least have a chance of finding something without a crazy price tag.
amorphe
that's where it's starting to hurt. I stopped collecting 80's toys because at yard sales the prices were climbing.... now there just isn't anything at yard sales except baby clothes and baby furniture... maybe it's just me but I miss when people acctually sold stuff...
SHEATH013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#12 SHEATH013
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts

I'm told that there were 5000 copies of that game printed, as well as 5000 of House of the Dead. They were released on the same day, too, I think. Perhaps SHEATH can confirm.

gmsnpr

I had heard it was more like 70,000.  I don't think it could have even made it to our local Toys R Us if there were only 5,000.  That's where I bought mine, and I recall passing on House of the Dead too.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 waflerevolution

I had heard it was more like 70,000. I don't think it could have even made it to our local Toys R Us if there were only 5,000. That's where I bought mine, and I recall passing on House of the Dead too.
SHEATH013
my local TRU had them too, I didn't have a Saturn until some time after it's defuncting...
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#14 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts
[QUOTE="SHEATH013"]

I had heard it was more like 70,000. I don't think it could have even made it to our local Toys R Us if there were only 5,000. That's where I bought mine, and I recall passing on House of the Dead too.
waflerevolution
my local TRU had them too, I didn't have a Saturn until some time after it's defuncting...

that was my 'sad' fate. I really want Hotd1 in some form, and if the saturn form is the best i can get it in, i just might, i just feel a bit weird paying a whole lot for a game that is more then a few years old. I know rarity is definatly a factor, but there are plenty of non-rare games i would rather buy with that 50 bucks+++ im laying down on a 10(?) year old copy of a saturn game >_<
SHEATH013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#15 SHEATH013
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts
[QUOTE="falconclan"]
[QUOTE="SHEATH013"]

waflerevolution

that was my 'sad' fate. I really want Hotd1 in some form, and if the saturn form is the best i can get it in, i just might, i just feel a bit weird paying a whole lot for a game that is more then a few years old. I know rarity is definatly a factor, but there are plenty of non-rare games i would rather buy with that 50 bucks+++ im laying down on a 10(?) year old copy of a saturn game >_<

I wouldn't pay more than $60 for it unless you're just really into Saturn gun games.  It's available on the PC also, and that one has 3D acceleration.  The Saturn game was really low resolution compared to the excellent Virtua Cop games.  I'd stick to HOTD 2 on Dreamcast and HOTD 3 on Xbox personally.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 waflerevolution
I have a saturn light gun but not a DC one so the saturn one would be better for me plus I can't find DC games around here anymore...