waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

User Lists: 0

#1 waflerevolution
Member since 2004 • 10598 Posts
is anyone else not fond of the "all gamers are kids or no-life adults" stigmatisum on over-the-hill governmet society?

please ellaberate why. and discuss your feelings and opinions about the topic.
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts
I'm not fond of hobby stigma, but have ceased caring overly much. I've had the same issues with justifying my comic book collection or the fact that I own firearms to people that don't share those interests. At this point, whether my friends like or dislike my hobbies only means that some of them won't get to take part, which is their loss. If you are talking about "the government" legislating the gaming industry in what they think is a vacuum, since they mistakenly assume that no registered voters could be among the game-playing public, then I am ready to act on that. Although, since I'm already old enough to do everything that I want (I don't want political office or discounts at Denny's), legislating age restrictions on game content is not going to effect where or when I can buy games that get made. It might, however, limit the scope of games that do get made, a move to which I am opposed.
Avatar image for waflerevolution
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 waflerevolution
I'm a huge fan of live and let live. ya know, don't insult peoples lifestyles if only because you wouldn't want people insulting yours.

bottom line is people are diferent, you can't expect everyone to be just like you (unless you are a german dictator in a world war who used atlantis as an example...) so it isn't right to attack others opinions.

just look at the episode of "the twilight zone" where the guy made everyone dissapear because he hated humanity but he got lonely so he made everyone just like him and realized the problem was himself.
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#4 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts
Im only 16, but i see where your coming from.

>_< I think it would be a lot better if people would stop making fun of my voice on live, thats the only thing i care about right now, i keep on getting NEG. feedback. GARRGAG!
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="falconclan"]
>_< I think it would be a lot better if people would stop making fun of my voice on live, thats the only thing i care about right now, i keep on getting NEG. feedback. GARRGAG!

WELCOME TO MY WORLD!

I'm 23 and sound like I'm like 12-15 so peope on live trash me alot, no neg feedback though, the OG xbox didn't have that....
keiblerfan69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 keiblerfan69
Member since 2004 • 15237 Posts
I don't talk on live. I will put on my headset and listen and if someone talks to me then I will say something.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 waflerevolution
I don't talk on live. I will put on my headset and listen and if someone talks to me then I will say something.keiblerfan69

I do that most of the time, I still hate the getting attacked over voice, there isn't any way to prove anything either...
falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#8 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts
[QUOTE="waflerevolution"]
I don't talk on live. I will put on my headset and listen and if someone talks to me then I will say something.keiblerfan69

I do that most of the time, I still hate the getting attacked over voice, there isn't any way to prove anything either...

I bet you havent been attacked like i have. I met the juggla ( a well known person around Gamespot) and he was like "How old are you" and i said 16, and he was like "are you male or female O_o" and i was like "male" :P obviously... and he was like, "are you sure?" and i immediatly kicked him and took him off my friends list.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="falconclan"] [QUOTE="waflerevolution"]

I bet you havent been attacked like i have. I met the juggla ( a well known person around Gamespot) and he was like "How old are you" and i said 16, and he was like "are you male or female O_o" and i was like "male" :P obviously... and he was like, "are you sure?" and i immediatly kicked him and took him off my friends list.

I've gotten that before... not in a long while but I have gotten it before
gmsnpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 gmsnpr
Member since 2004 • 4242 Posts
Wow, I never thought of this before.  My voice slid into the baritone/bass range after about age 14.  People tell me I have a "radio voice", but I guess I take it for granted.  Don't they have some voice modulation function, like there used to be on X-Box Live for the first X-box?
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 waflerevolution
Wow, I never thought of this before. My voice slid into the baritone/bass range after about age 14. People tell me I have a "radio voice", but I guess I take it for granted. Don't they have some voice modulation function, like there used to be on X-Box Live for the first X-box?gmsnpr

the voice mod on live isn't in all games and some don't rally allow you to pick the mod and people hate "annonymous" you get booted for it easy. I myself just use my voice, why care what others think right?
SHEATH013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#12 SHEATH013
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts
[QUOTE="waflerevolution"] is anyone else not fond of the "all gamers are kids or no-life adults" stigmatisum on over-the-hill governmet society?

I have to say that the mass market is largely kids and no-life young_adults. These are the people who flock to one company, and only one company, and make up or praise marketing and false histories which slander the competition. These are the videogame market which number over the 20 million or so in the US who bought a Sega Genesis or an N64, or the supposed 70 million (true numbers have never been supported) worldwide who bought a PS2 and a PS1, but not a Sega Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, Nintendo Gamecube or Microsoft Xbox.

That still leaves 20 million in the US who have the sense to shop around, but that's not enough buying power for the media and the developers to focus their game design on. We who actually bother to *read* about games, much less write about them weekly in forums, number an extreme minority in the market. Thus, we have countless war themed games using the same gameplay as Quake 1 from 1997, and countless urban themed thug games dependant on violence and "mood", which wouldn't cut it in a 'B' novel, rather than gameplay. The problem is an incredible lack of informed consumers in the videogame market, and therefore a lack of games designed to be great at being *games*. Solve this problem, and you solve the problem of politicians using the Industry as a scapegoat as well.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="SHEATH013"] [QUOTE="waflerevolution"] is anyone else not fond of the "all gamers are kids or no-life adults" stigmatisum on over-the-hill governmet society?

I have to say that the mass market is largely kids and no-life young_adults. These are the people who flock to one company, and only one company, and make up or praise marketing and false histories which slander the competition. These are the videogame market which number over the 20 million or so in the US who bought a Sega Genesis or an N64, or the supposed 70 million (true numbers have never been supported) worldwide who bought a PS2 and a PS1, but not a Sega Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, Nintendo Gamecube or Microsoft Xbox.

That still leaves 20 million in the US who have the sense to shop around, but that's not enough buying power for the media and the developers to focus their game design on. We who actually bother to *read* about games, much less write about them weekly in forums, number an extreme minority in the market. Thus, we have countless war themed games using the same gameplay as Quake 1 from 1997, and countless urban themed thug games dependant on violence and "mood", which wouldn't cut it in a 'B' novel, rather than gameplay. The problem is an incredible lack of informed consumers in the videogame market, and therefore a lack of games designed to be great at being *games*. Solve this problem, and you solve the problem of politicians using the Industry as a scapegoat as well.

I wasn't debating the game developers making bad "games" that's entirely different issue... I agree with everything you said.
SHEATH013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SHEATH013
You were asking whether I like the stigma that gamers are either kids or no-life adults right?  I think the stigma is true for the majority of "gamers".  ;)
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="SHEATH013"]You were asking whether I like the stigma that gamers are either kids or no-life adults right? I think the stigma is true for the majority of "gamers". ;)

I suppose... it still shouldn't be used as a standpoint...
DarkBelthasar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 DarkBelthasar
Member since 2005 • 2535 Posts
I think there's just too broad of a range of people who play video games.  Yes, there are no-life adults who play video games constantly, and then there are those that just do it every once in a while because it's enjoyable and then everyone in between.  However, most games are targeted at people who still have plenty of time on their hands aka people who don't have to work to support their entire lifestyle aka kids through perhaps college students.  This just means that video games seem to the general public an all-or-none deal.  Either you play them a lot or don't play them at all, so it seems you must be a no-life adult, even when that's not the case.  Geez, I'm rambling.  I hope that made sense.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 waflerevolution
[QUOTE="DarkBelthasar"]I think there's just too broad of a range of people who play video games. Yes, there are no-life adults who play video games constantly, and then there are those that just do it every once in a while because it's enjoyable and then everyone in between. However, most games are targeted at people who still have plenty of time on their hands aka people who don't have to work to support their entire lifestyle aka kids through perhaps college students. This just means that video games seem to the general public an all-or-none deal. Either you play them a lot or don't play them at all, so it seems you must be a no-life adult, even when that's not the case. Geez, I'm rambling. I hope that made sense.

if it was a ramble, it was a good one, I followed. good work.
SHEATH013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SHEATH013

I suppose... it still shouldn't be used as a standpoint...
waflerevolution

Well no, nobody in the media or marketing departments should that's for sure.  I'm just sore that companies cater exclusively to this crowd today, and stopped taking risks on new ideas.  Hopefully the next gen will change a few things, but then I don't really care to shell out the $1000+ just to see if they do.
waflerevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 waflerevolution

I don't really care to shell out the $1000+ just to see if they do.
SHEATH013

neither do I.