Will the old posting history page be returning?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by MirkoS77 (6975 posts) -

The "watch topic" is not nearly as useful or efficient in comparison to the old way of simply clicking your last post or the (#) denoting the unread to jump right where you left off. As it is now, I'm finding keeping browser tabs open for each thread I'm active in is a far better method at this point to keep on top of multiple conversations even though it's more cumbersome.

The more time passes the more I'm beginning to fear this is something that has not made the transition over to the new site. If it is coming, can we please get some feedback or assurance it's in the works, and if not, some reasons as to why such a useful and fundamental tool of using any forum has been removed?

edit: thanks, and thanks for the sticky!

#2 Edited by OmitName (717 posts) -

heh. not a subtle acknowledgement. people still wont get it though. encouraged to see that they are provoked enough after hearing it so much that they stabbed this to the ceiling, hoping to shut some up. that means the peoples are plenty aware. im glad, i liked that bit. i hope everyone will forgive me for acknowledging that they still cant talk about it.

#3 Posted by killerfist (19807 posts) -

I'd also like this to return. It was far easier before to navigate through ones posting history when there was a list of topics instead of posts.

Also (kinda related I guess), is it possible to have the amount of views of a topic replaced by new/unread messages? I think it's kinda pointless to have the amount of views there.

It would be better to have the total amount of posts on the left and new/unread messages on the right.

Like this(sorry for the low quality paintjob lol) :

#4 Edited by mav_destroyer (3058 posts) -

I'm really missing this feature as well. Hope they bring it back. The current "Forums" link on our profiles just shows which threads I've posted in not if there are any new posts.

#5 Posted by Blabadon (25609 posts) -

I'd also like this to return. It was far easier before to navigate through ones posting history when there was a list of topics instead of posts.

Also (kinda related I guess), is it possible to have the amount of views of a topic replaced by new/unread messages? I think it's kinda pointless to have the amount of views there.

It would be better to have the total amount of posts on the left and new/unread messages on the right.

Like this(sorry for the low quality paintjob lol) :

Yes, god yes. I was always happy the old GameSpot never had a view stat because it's completely useless and now they wasted space in this one doing so.

#6 Posted by stylyy (139 posts) -

I'll raise this concern. I see it being useful as well.

#7 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

I'm with @MirkoS77 as well as @killerfist, these features need to be restored. It has hurt the experience here on the forums. Jumping right back into a thread where you left off was quick and painless. Hopefully all of these problems are addressed and even fixed. I know a lot of users would appreciate it.

#8 Edited by adamosmaki (9429 posts) -

Add me to people wanting that feature back. Is almost a deal breaker for me not having it

#9 Edited by Namgis (3572 posts) -

Chalk up another vote in favor of the old method. It's one of the major things I miss about the old GS.

I would also like to see the icon for the thread creator on the boards main page change to our own if we've posted in the topic. Would speed up conversation navigation.

#10 Edited by The-Apostle (12141 posts) -

I'm definitely in favor of it.

#11 Edited by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

Why not have all three, number of views, number of posts and number of new posts? The old way had just number of posts with the number of unread posts underneath it. I do not see why it cannot be that way here too.

#12 Edited by RobotOpBuddy (64986 posts) -

I agree, I'd like this back too - I'm not a big fan of the watched topics thing either tbh, especially as it seems to automatically add most of the topics I post in to it (including those I have no reason to go back to), yet not all of them...that and while some of them are highlighted in a darker background colour (not just the alternating background), that highlighting doesn't seem to symbolise anything...and thread title being white or grey is unreliable too, most notably because it changes to white (seemingly meaning that there's some unread posts) immediately after posting in a topic.

On a somewhat related note, as anchors are bound to be used to skip to the 1st unread post:

It'd be nice if the anchors (#js-message-{id}, {id}=the post id number) positions were adjusted so that the overlaying navbar at the top didn't block visibility of the top line of the post the anchor is attached to when using them as well - most of it's transparent, but the GS image part isn't, and the chequered/tile effect and affecting the text colour underneath it make it difficult to read that part of the message too.

Unfortunately, there's not an immediately obvious&simple place on a post it could be put as with the way anchors typically work it'd have to be around the line on the page as the username on the side of the post before it on short posts (or in line with with the reply to this topic, watch this topic, etc boxes for the 1st post), but when the post before it is quite long there's no pre-assigned content at the right line height...unless the anchor is added in at the bottom of the post after all the content, for use by the next post (and the 1st post using one in line with the reply/watch topic boxes) - then of course there's a problem of that not working for shorter posts though, and of course with multiple anchors of the same name it'll typically jump to the top one rather than the bottom one, so the idea of simply having both probably wouldn't work either.

Hopefully you can think of a simpler/better solution, but that's the only way I can think of doing it without moving things around atm, and frankly it wouldn't work too well. If not for the overlay navbar the anchors would be fine where they are, but then of course navigation using it would require scrolling back to the top if it wasn't there when you scrolled down.

#13 Edited by punisher1 (3201 posts) -

Honestly this new system is very slow. It's like you guys went backwards 5-7 years.

#14 Posted by lensflare15 (6174 posts) -

Yes, please bring this back. That was something I constantly did on the old site, with the new, I don't check old threads I posted in nearly as much.

#15 Posted by dr_jashugan (2546 posts) -

Honestly this new system is very slow. It's like you guys went backwards 5-7 years.

Totally AGREE!

The OLDER system was far away more EFFICIENT with keeping track of your posts in the forums. Please GS, bring back the old post tracking system!

#16 Posted by BranKetra (47759 posts) -

Please bring this back or make a new system that resembles the old one.

#17 Posted by chicknfeet (15624 posts) -

It would indeed be nice to be able to get back to the last read message. Not sure the point of seeing the number of views a topic has gotten :-\

#18 Posted by EnoshimaJunko (192 posts) -

Yeah the old posting history thing was better.

Also, the new site needs a button that brings you to the forum index. Where the hell did that go?

#19 Posted by BranKetra (47759 posts) -

It would indeed be nice to be able to get back to the last read message. Not sure the point of seeing the number of views a topic has gotten :-\

It is like an OT popularity contest, but site-wide.

#20 Edited by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

Does GS have any plans to bring back the unread post count (much more useful than the "Views" count), and markers for the threads you posted in?

Both small, but very important features for the forum browsing. Simple markers are far more convenient than that profile feed.

#22 Edited by DigitalDame (3783 posts) -