Will GS cut its losses on the new forum?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

As I'm sure everyone is aware, there have been numerous and pervasive glitches and bugs that have plauged the board since the migration to the new forum system, many of which have been occurring on and off for pretty much the entire time. These include intermittent 404 and 500 errors, frequent failures of notifications and badge post count failures, various random issues with the in-browser text editor, and based on the feedback in this board many, many other issues (yesterday I noticed that thread post counts are reading "0" for threads that have replies now).

It's not just the bugs, it's the fact that they keep reoccouring after they have been fixed and continue to do so.

If I had a customer change to a new system that continued to be riddled with bugs that affect usability for more than a year, that customer would be screaming for a rollback or if that weren't feasible (which in this case isn't) then another migration to a less problematic system. With all the issues that the new forums have had, is GS planning on continuing to try to band-aid new issues as they arise or actually move to a new system altogether if things don't get better. Obviously these are the observations of just one user, but in the 10+ years I've been posting here I don't remember any previous version of the forums having this many issues.

-Byshop

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

It is unlikely that GS will just abandon this site. I believe Synthia (or someone else) mentioned in a previous thread that a few devs have moved on which has slowed the progress of things getting fixed.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I don't mean abandon the forums altogether, just move on to yet another forum system. Granted, migrating the existing posts from one system to another is not small deal but it seems like this new one has been more trouble than it's worth. There are tons of "off the shelf" forum systems designed to work with high traffic out there.

-Byshop

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts

Moving to new forums is bound to come with its own share of issues. If they were to use an existing forum service like v bulletin or lithium then they would be faced with the challenge of merging those forums with other existing community features, so that the forums would remain an integral part of the site as they are now rather than a standalone service. If they are going to invest time and effort in doing that then I think they might as well just keep the current forums and fix some bugs. For my part I haven't encountered many glitches and certainly nothing that renders the forums unusable. Though as you outlined the frustration is not so much with the glitches but that they remain unfixed. The best we can do is remain patient I guess, if they currently don't have to the staff to fix some bugs then they certainly won't have the staff to replace the forum software with something new.