Why hasn't this (and other niche games) been reviewed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

http://store.steampowered.com/app/322930/

Every time I click the front page I see articles about "top 10 chairs in a game" and the "The Science Of Clouds In Call Of Duty".

No reviews; only for "AAAAAA" games that will be reviewed by everyone anyway. I dono if I buy this game now. :/

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Because they most likely can't review every game out there

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#3 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts
@MonsieurX said:

Because they most likely can't review every game out there

I second this.

Also, @uninspiredcup, maybe you don't realize that GameSpot is one of those "mainstream" sites. If you do, you won't expect the likes of GameSpot to review low-profile titles.

This remark is coming from me, who probably know and have played low-profile titles that you don't even know of, much less GameSpot.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Gelugon_baat said:

Also, @uninspiredcup, maybe you don't realize that GameSpot is one of those "mainstream" sites. If you do, you won't expect the likes of GameSpot to review low-profile titles.

This remark is coming from me, who probably know and have played low-profile titles that you don't even know of, much less GameSpot.

Actually up until the last 2-3 years or so Gamespot has reviewed many niche titles. This was especially the case back in the golden days; when it actually was a review site, rather than tabloid style fluff.

I have no idea who you are. We spoke relatively briefly twice in one thread a few weeks ago. I could understand such an informal post if we where acquaintances. But this doesn't seem to be the case.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gelugon_baat

@uninspiredcup:

I don't know where you are looking if you are seeing things like "tabloid style fluff", if what you want are reviews. Maybe you can say that if you are looking at the "news" section (which is certainly filled with a lot of two-bit stuff these days).

Also, back in the "golden days", GameSpot overlooked stuff like Aquaria, the winner of the 2007 Seamus McNally prize of IGF. It also overlooked Crayon Physics Deluxe (Seamus McNally, 2008). This was from the time of the so-called "golden days", when Gerstmann and Kasavin were around, and they missed these.

"Golden days" of reviewing niche titles, I think not.

Also, going by your remark of "2-3 years ago", vanOrd pannedBlueberry Garden, winner of Seamus McNally, 2009. Would you include 2009 in the "golden days" if you knew that?

Now, after the "golden days", it did laud "niche" titles like Papers, Please, which was one of the nominees for the "Best PC Game" award at GameSpot. This may be my opinion, but Papers, Please's "document-checking thriller" gameplay is as niche as it can get.

And there's GameSpot's highlighting of whack-job games like Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.

In other words, I am saying that you could have considered whether you are looking at the "right" places or not before you make that "golden days" remark.

As for your "I don't know you well" remark, you do know that other users can check your profile and vice versa, right?

Or that if somebody wants to check the comments which you have made on GameSpot, a targeted Google search on these can bring up almost anything which Google's web-crawlers dug out? (It's typical of CBSI to let these things into its sites.)

Other people can have good memory too, or at least memory which can be jogged easily; I, for one, do remember the posts which you have made here and there on GameSpot, and I have the impression that you haven't looked hard enough to find what you want.

Perhaps if you could have acknowledged all that I have said, you wouldn't be making the statements which you made.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@Gelugon_baat said:

Also, back in the "golden days", GameSpot overlooked stuff like Aquaria, the winner of the 2007 Seamus McNally prize of IGF. It also overlooked Crayon Physics Deluxe (Seamus McNally, 2008). This was from the time of the so-called "golden days", when Gerstmann and Kasavin were around, and they missed these.

They seriously missed Aquaria? That game is pretty awesome. Gamespot just lost all its credibility ever...

;-P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Gelugon_baat said:

@uninspiredcup:

"Golden days" of reviewing niche titles, I think not.

Also, going by your remark of "2-3 years ago", vanOrd pannedBlueberry Garden, winner of Seamus McNally, 2009. Would you include 2009 in the "golden days" if you knew that?

The specifically linked title is niche - directly linked to the current title through genre .The opening line of the review outright says it's niche.

When a once-popular genre goes underrepresented for so long, it's tempting to give any new entry the benefit of the doubt.

If a review is positive or negative - it is irrelevant to the topic.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gelugon_baat
@uninspiredcup said:

When a once-popular genre goes underrepresented for so long, it's tempting to give any new entry the benefit of the doubt.

If a review is positive or negative - it is irrelevant to the topic.

Well, aren't you rather forgiving? Most indie-loving die-hards I know couldn't accept that vanOrd panned that game.