Why are you locking threads in the middle of the discussion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by rarson (935 posts) -

That's really annoying and you're just going to increase the number of threads on the same topic.

#2 Edited by Gelugon_baat (19375 posts) -

I suppose that you haven't been around in the forums long enough to know the reasons.

Usually, one of the reasons is that the thread has been "going out of hand", to quote a phrase which the moderators often use. The forums have far stricter rules on the conduct of users than the comment threads, rarson.

(If you have been thinking that you could get a better experience at GameSpot through its forum, you are going to learn the hard way that it's a different kind of experience from the ones which you had from the comments.)

The other common reason is that someone unwittingly bumped an old thread which has not had any new post for weeks - that "someone" tends to be a rookie forum-goer (you included, likely). GameSpot's policy on forum threads is to apparently encourage the creation the new and "fresh" threads - so yes, GameSpot wants to "increase the number of threads on the same topic".

(Ask them about the practicality of having such a policy. I can't recall the reason for it.)

With that said, if you are going to complain about what you complained and hope to get some kind of reply from some user with more privileges than I do, e.g. a moderator or community manager, you might want to be more specific about which threads have been locked. You are not the first to make such a complaint after all.

#3 Edited by tsunami2311 (208 posts) -

@Gelugon_baat:

@Gelugon_baat said:

I suppose that you haven't been around in the forums long enough to know the reasons.

Usually, one of the reasons is that the thread has been "going out of hand", to quote a phrase which the moderators often use. The forums have far stricter rules on the conduct of users than the comment threads, rarson.

(If you have been thinking that you could get a better experience at GameSpot through its forum, you are going to learn the hard way that it's a different kind of experience from the ones which you had from the comments.)

The other common reason is that someone unwittingly bumped an old thread which has not had any new post for weeks - that "someone" tends to be a rookie forum-goer (you included, likely). GameSpot's policy on forum threads is to apparently encourage the creation the new and "fresh" threads - so yes, GameSpot wants to "increase the number of threads on the same topic".

(Ask them about the practicality of having such a policy. I can't recall the reason for it.)

With that said, if you are going to complain about what you complained and hope to get some kind of reply from some user with more privileges than I do, e.g. a moderator or community manager, you might want to be more specific about which threads have been locked. You are not the first to make such a complaint after allt.

that dont explain why my thread was locked when I point out the Codes next to things like user icon, Video , community and the abundance then all over the website. im yes the bug got reported but there was no reason to really closed, I couldnt even reply to the person that asked if that codes next to images was what i refering too I was even gona mention what codes they pushed fix the terrible loading times i had when I was logged into the site.

#4 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19375 posts) -

@tsunami2311:

You mean this thread?

(On that note, please do place a link here - you really don't want others to go through your forum posting history to figure out what you are referring to.)

I don't know who locked it, but I would tell you that I have noticed that if one of the known GameSpot staffers - Synthia Weires a.k.a. "DigitalDame" in that case - have said that they noticed the bug, that thread is going to be locked.

(Don't ask me why - I get the impression that it's just some bureaucratic procedure that the staffers follow, but I can't be sure.)

#5 Edited by tsunami2311 (208 posts) -

yep that would be it, eh it forums only rule on all forums that holds true is mods / owner of forums do what ever they want. so i sorta expect such stuff, it just most say why they lock things.

#6 Edited by rarson (935 posts) -

@Gelugon_baat:

I don't normally use the forums, but I'm specifically talking about recent threads in THIS particular subforum that are only several posts in being locked while conversation is still taking place. None of those threads were out of hand or old. Almost like some Gamespot person thought that the thread had been sufficiently answered and decided to lock it, which is just stupid because threads are for discussion. I'm sure if you just look at some of the recent threads you'll be able to figure out which ones I'm talking about.

I can understand locking threads that devolve into meaningless drivel, but it's really annoying when moderators take it upon themselves to lock threads immediately after they reply, as if their post was all that needed to be said on the subject, especially when it's clearly not. There's no need to lock threads just because you think something has been answered.

#7 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19375 posts) -

@rarson:

Well, tell that to the people who locked the thread, and ask them to unlock it if you feel that it shouldn't be locked.

Otherwise, if they think that the thread's "done", and they have the privilege to lock that, there's no stopping them. In other words, don't expect them to have the same opinions as you do about whether the thread is "done" or not.

#8 Edited by rarson (935 posts) -

@Gelugon_baat:

That's the entire point of this thread: to let them know that they're locking threads prematurely.

They're (obviously) free to lock them all they want, but I'm sure it'd keep the forums a little cleaner if they weren't so lock-happy, so that people don't keep posting needless new threads just because another one got locked too quickly.

#9 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19375 posts) -

@rarson: Good luck in making your arguments then. :/

#10 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3553 posts) -

@tsunami2311: Your thread was locked because the staff saw your report, thanked you and reported it to the devs. Hence it was finished with.

@rarson: HI, threads will be lock if they "get out of hand", stray too far off topic or (in this particular forum) have been dealt with/addressed.

Also one of our jobs as Moderators is to Maintain Outstanding Discussions and if a thread turns into a slanging match it will be locked.

#11 Posted by rarson (935 posts) -

That's fine, but you guys are still locking threads in the middle of discussion, threads that aren't "out of hand" or "dealt with." So do whatever you want to do, just be aware that you're going to clutter up your own forums if you keep doing it.

#12 Edited by Gelugon_baat (19375 posts) -

@rarson:

Really, countless threads have been locked over the years, and there never was really any system to organize them beyond threads being "bumped" to the top of the list whenever someone posts in them.

I don't know what you hope to achieve there with your warning there, but what you personally see as "broken" or "bad practice" has been around for years, and the process-owners do not see fit to apply any "fix".

#13 Posted by Kickable (1087 posts) -

If you have been thinking that you could get a better experience at GameSpot through its forum, you are going to learn the hard way that it's a different kind of experience from the ones which you had from the comments.

maybe not too different, it seems comment sections have been neutered too. I can't even abbreviate "what the ____" without mod approval it's silly.

#14 Posted by Gelugon_baat (19375 posts) -

@Kickable:

That is more of a technical issue. I recall that GameSpot's Terms of Use had changed such that the use of expletives like "fuck" and "shit" as mere exclamations is no longer an offense, but the LiveFyre comment system had not worked properly ever since a couple of months after it was implemented.

#15 Edited by Kickable (1087 posts) -

i see, glad to hear that thanks.

#16 Edited by rarson (935 posts) -

@Gelugon_baat:

It's not a "warning," it's a comment. I'm just pointing out that it's not doing any good locking threads prematurely.

As I said, Gamespot can do what it wants with its forums, I just think it's stupid to lock threads prematurely.

#17 Posted by DigitalDame (3790 posts) -

yep that would be it, eh it forums only rule on all forums that holds true is mods / owner of forums do what ever they want. so i sorta expect such stuff, it just most say why they lock things.

We do this to try and keep track of tickets that get filed from the community. Once we have sufficient information in regards to the bug for the report we lock it. If another instance of it appears than people are welcome to report on it here.

#18 Edited by Perth2008 (196 posts) -

@DigitalDame: Well if one may ask ... the following thread raised a valid concern from a user about reduced access to resources previously available: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/bug-reporting-feedback-1000006/finding-gamespot-game-guides-a-struggle-31234961/#1

By locking the thread how can GameSpot staff gauge whether the users/community, call us what you will, actually agree/want some of the "old" or "new" features retained or dropped.

The response: "Sorry, but we don't support this feature anymore. I'd be happy to add it to the list of things that users would like to see us have going forward however. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback." ... tends to leaves things up in the air ... GameSpot unilaterally decided to drop the guide/walkthrough feature that has probably been used by many users BUT may re-initiate it if requested by users. Well I'll add my vote to having the guides (or links to them) restored but I'm not sure where to as the thread was closed prematurely. This is especially as GameSpot had some rather good illustrated in-house guides and not just links to other off-site reviews.

On another matter, there has been considerable feedback from the users about (and against) the "new" stacks system that replaced the simpler and functional database (pre-tabletisation of GameSpot) yet this seems to be ignored and the GameSpot team seems to be pressing on regardless (for ~6 months now) trying to make this flawed concept work. Why so when so many other things need attention?

#19 Edited by DigitalDame (3790 posts) -

Well I'll add my vote to having the guides (or links to them) restored but I'm not sure where to as the thread was closed prematurely.

You're welcome to post in a new thread that you would also like to see the return of the feature. Again, the primary reason for closing threads once they've been addressed by an admin is to try and keep track of which ones have been responded to. There is an archive of user feedback / bug reports that is made for each inquiry. Adding new ones to the list (especially with site feature requests) is often a better means to get the proper attention.

I understand that this is frustrating and I apologize for that, but unfortunately as a means of keeping track of this is the best solution.

There has been considerable feedback from the users about (and against) the "new" stacks system that replaced the simpler and functional database (pre-tabletisation of GameSpot) yet this seems to be ignored and the GameSpot team seems to be pressing on regardless (for ~6 months now) trying to make this flawed concept work. Why so when so many other things need attention?

Unfortunately, this is an issue that ultimately has to do with the number of people working on GameSpot. In the course of a week there are dozens of bugs that are reported which have to be prioritized. Again, I'm sorry that our opinions regarding prioritization do not align and all I can do as a Community Manager is alert your concerns to the developers working on the site.

#20 Posted by rarson (935 posts) -

GameSpot unilaterally decided to drop the guide/walkthrough feature that has probably been used by many users...

Yeah, I used the walkthroughs all the time because there was a good collection of them on this site. If one wasn't particularly good, there were usually others I could use.

And now this thread is off-topic solely because the other thread got locked. This is exactly what I'm talking about. And I can't possibly fathom how creating more threads about the same topic makes it easier to track which issues have been addressed. I don't see how clogging up the forums with multiple threads about the same thing does anything useful.