Who wants the old site back?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Who wants the old site back? (78 votes)

I do 91%
Me too 9%

Topic

• 
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Sure, why not.

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

Every single active gamespot user.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 leon2365
Member since 2006 • 13096 Posts

this new layout is fine. it just needs heavy improvement, which will happen over time. though it will take a WHILE for any real progress to show.

Maxxgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Maxxgold
Member since 2003 • 191 Posts

This site sucks. Like someone else stated, normally when a site changes your upset for a week or two and then you get used to it. I still haven't gotten used to it and I never will. They are just driving people away with this crappy site. Whoever designed it should be named and shamed.

Mikeyy79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Mikeyy79
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

This has got to be the worst website rollout redesign I have ever seen in my lifetime, when they changed it a couple of months ago I quit coming to this site because it was awful, I went from loving it to hating it all in one day. People said it just needed to work out the bugs but now after 2 months I'm back and I still hate it, and they picked the worst time to redesign it; right before the new console launches. I really wish we could have the old Gamespot back and fire the person in charge of taking this great gaming website and turning it into a stinkbomb!

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

Please GS staff, suck it up and bring back the old website.

This new website is a cancer that isn't attracting any new users and is slowly driving away the older users. It lacks functionality the previous website had, has a terrible design, is riddled with bugs, degrades image quality of posted images because of the shitty forced-hosting, and is slow.

Whatever it takes, get the old site up and running. I used to care about this website. It honestly used to be part of my day; a ritual. That feeling is long gone. I really hope you guys get your act together.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 leon2365

I honestly don't see the old layout making a comeback. it would be fantastic if it did, but I just don't see it. too many persistent bugs in the old site, and too much work into this one. rolling back wouldn't make sense.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

@leon2365: Agreed, though I think the old site is a huge improvement over this one.

However, I do think there's a point where they either need to rollback or completely overhaul this PoS website. It really is that bad. The number of comments per video, and the forum activity vouch for that.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By leon2365

hope for the best. that's all anyone can do. between a rollback or an overhaul, either is fine. as long as whichever is chosen gets done sooner rather than later.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts

I definatly want the old site back or at least a new site with better changes that actually work. This new site sucks and is hard to navigate.

tinmann840

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tinmann840
Member since 2009 • 30 Posts

OMG you read my mind. I just came to feedback for the first time to find out if there was any way to revert back to the old format. I hate this new format and now I see I'm not alone. Are they just getting lazy or what?

tempura13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By tempura13
Member since 2009 • 453 Posts

The old site was already great, but it won't come back. The useful features it had, however, can just be used/implemented to what we have now. We can only wonder what's keeping them in doing so.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I really couldn't care less as far as the aesthetics and whatnot, but the performance is pretty garbage-tier. I just want to be able to view articles without the page freezing for 30 sec every time I try to scroll. At least we should be able to do that.

andruxandd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#16 andruxandd
Member since 2005 • 145 Posts

I do and me too...1000%...i find gamestop a good gaming site with new releases and great news...here on GS is a mess and a big stupidity...

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

I do, the old website was a million times better. This new website is a big step back in every perceptible way, and the forums just don't have the sense of community that the old ones did. That was one of the main things that kept me coming back, now I don't see much of a point. Makes you wonder how the advertisers are taking this.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

I do.

SavoyPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#21  Edited By SavoyPrime
Member since 2003 • 41098 Posts

I don't know much about site design, but I don't see why they couldn't have kept the old format and just used new code. This new site just really isn't appealing to me. I've tried to deal with it, but the annoyance of it doesn't keep me on the site long at all. Especially compared to how I used to be on here.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 leon2365

they have their reasons. hopefully.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

Yes, please bring the old site back. It has a sense of nostalgia for me. More than that, it actually works, is faster, smoother, and more fluid. Better in every possible way, actually.

I don't care what you have to do, please get the old site back. Listen to us, guys. We appreciate the effort, but we want the old one back. We were happy with it, and it should stay that way.

Please listen to us, staff. I know you're out there...

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 leon2365

still think it wouldn't make sense to bring the old layout back. it had too many severe bugs, and too much work has gone into this new layout to warrant a rollback. I agree it would be amazing to have the old layout back, but I honestly don't see it happening.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShadowsDemon

@leon2365 said:

still think it wouldn't make sense to bring the old layout back. it had too many severe bugs, and too much work has gone into this new layout to warrant a rollback. I agree it would be amazing to have the old layout back, but I honestly don't see it happening.

This place has a hell lot more bugs than the older place ever did. If they brought the old layout back for the forums at least, then I'd be happy.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

The only thing I want "rolled back" is the collection pages. Stacks are a visual eyesore, and a messy, stupid program on the whole. I don't know who came up with stacks, but that person should never be allowed near a website design ever again. They had the best collection feature on the internet, and they threw it away for no good reason at all. On the whole, I just want the new site to actually work. Unfortunately most of the new features I liked haven't been functioning very well or at all for about a month or more now.

optic0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By optic0n
Member since 2005 • 308 Posts

@SavoyPrime: Ugh. I used to be on here alot but now I cant re-order or sort my games collection by system anymore? This new layout.....crap.....

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 leon2365

@ShadowsDemon said:

@leon2365 said:

This place has a hell lot more bugs than the older place ever did. If they brought the old layout back for the forums at least, then I'd be happy.

it does have a lot more, but the old layout had some BAD bugs.

SavoyPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#29 SavoyPrime
Member since 2003 • 41098 Posts

@optic0n: Yeah man, this site is definitely not good when it comes to layout/interface.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

Yeah the new site is still terrible. There are still so many problems with the site still and the fact that they killed the legacy forum is just sad. So many interesting people here are gone now. I thought that we would all get use to the new site's design after it was launched but to this day it's still bad. It seems that Gamespot is just like Youtube as well since Youtube also ruined itself.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 leon2365

@AcidTango said:

Yeah the new site is still terrible. There are still so many problems with the site still and the fact that they killed the legacy forum is just sad. So many interesting people here are gone now. I thought that we would all get use to the new site's design after it was launched but to this day it's still bad. It seems that Gamespot is just like Youtube as well since Youtube also ruined itself.

the legacy board is still around. its just hidden and devoid of life. if you care for it at all, you can find it here.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShadowsDemon

@leon2365 said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@leon2365 said:

I didn't really experience any bugs.

They should have fixed those, not made a whole new site!

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bfa1509
Member since 2011 • 1058 Posts

I used to come to Gamespot since the early 2000s to see if a game was any good before I bought it. I have to say, the new site is terrible: I've seen 20 year old magazine tables in waiting rooms more organised and attractive than the new homepage, pages take forever to load, videos are laggy and the sound is out of sync even on the lowest settings and whats with this 'sponsored links' bullshit?

Reviews have gone downhill as well in a desperate attempt to stand out from other sites.

I thought I would get used to it after a few weeks, but sadly have not.

Here's what gamespot needs to to bring me and a whole lot others back (if you want to):

- Make the homepage a whole lot simpler, stop displaying things based on their popularity, stop dedicating video shows to days of the week (i.e top 5 skyrim mod saturdays etc.) and therefore having week old videos as the first thing people see when they come to the site. Just look at websites like Steampowered, wikipedia, wikihow, youtube, gamefaqs etc.; they flawlessly overhaul their websites every so often.

- Why does it take so long to load pages (robots.txt shenanigans?)

- Fix the videos. I don't know whats wrong with the new videos, but they don't work right on my computer since the change.

Why is the Bug Reporting & Feedback forum the only one with any life in it?

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

@leon2365 said:

@AcidTango said:

the legacy board is still around. its just hidden and devoid of life. if you care for it at all, you can find it here.

I know about the legacy forum being hidden but like you said it's dead so there is no point to go there now.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By leon2365

@ShadowsDemon said:

@leon2365 said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@leon2365 said:

maybe they rushed this one because they couldn't fix the old site.

Mr_KMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mr_KMG
Member since 2003 • 2971 Posts

@leon2365 said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@leon2365 said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@leon2365 said:

What they did is copy-pasta'd giant bomb's site design 1 to 1 onto a site that's been around since the early days of video game websites, which shouldn't be that suprising that it totally doesn't work (trying to fit square peg into round hole)

Even though I voted yes, I would still have preferred to actually have a no option as some people maybe actually like new site....

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By leon2365

guess they are trying to make all of the same sites "easier" to use.

and I do prefer the new site to the old one. but oh well. single minded choices.

acd2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By acd2
Member since 2003 • 126 Posts

It's pretty clear that this new site is part of a cost-cutting effort. They'll work out some of the bugs, but unfortunately the site will probably never be as good as it was because they can't afford to do a lot of what they did before.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ShadowsDemon

@leon2365 said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@leon2365 said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@leon2365 said:

I'm pretty sure there wasn't much to it. Like I said, I didn't have bugs.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 leon2365

maybe you didn't, but a lot of other people did. or so they said. complaints of frequent "bonk" pages and what not.

Isual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#41  Edited By Isual
Member since 2003 • 429 Posts

very much hate this layout. its so hard to figure out how to add games to your collection. wtf is up with all these stacks.

totally alienated the current userbase.

I just came back to see if they even bothered fixing it; months later. nope.

later guys. I'm going to other sites instead.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@ShadowsDemon said:

I'm pretty sure there wasn't much to it. Like I said, I didn't have bugs.

Really? What about Bonk showing up everywhere? The quadruple/triple post glitches? Threads breaking down after reaching a certain number of posts? The disappearing emblems? Postcounts not updating? You didn't notice any of that?

sirrvs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sirrvs
Member since 2003 • 180 Posts

I've been a loyal Gamespot user since 1996 and I have to say this new design is really bad. Even on a high-end computer the new site's functions feel sluggish.

Another thing I've been wondering is what in the hell happened to the activity on the game forums? One of the main reasons I come here as opposed to other gaming sites is if I want a one-stop place with a forum of each individual game so I can go and chat with the other players of that game. Sort of like the IMDB of games. But ever since this latest rollout, why do the game forums seem dead? I mean, even for current titles there seems to be no activity. Did they shut the forums down?

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By leon2365

no. the forums are fine. its just the new layout that seems to have driven people away. and maybe they combined the forums of each console together. eg. PC portal together with xbox portal. unless they were never separate to begin with. don't remember.

estugarda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 estugarda
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I'm online since it was possible in my country. Early 90s. I have never, ever seen such a bad redesign in all its aspects. This site is now completely useless. I know that instead "ranting" I should provide some constructive feedback, but it simply isn't possible here. Trying to find something positive here would be like beating a dead horse. The only way to fix this is to format all the server disks, destroy all trace of code and do something completely opposite of all its parts. Or return the old site which was better in every way.

I used to check in here every week at least once to see what's new. Now I am checking once per month to see if someone finally got it at Gamespot and decided to remove this thing...

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46  Edited By JP_
Member since 2007 • 12875 Posts

Hello there,

I'm here to let you guys know why we cant bring back the Old site.

With the Old site it was alot better as it was Organized and Easier to Navigate with it being User Friendly. We understand how you guys feel but, the Admin Team did Considered all the Possibilities and they decided that the old Union system was way to Glitchy and wouldn't be worth the time to try to fix it as it was Able to be fixed back when the problems first arrived and they weren't.

Since they did have a Solution for the Unions by letting the Union Leaders decide to change them into Live Forum Boards but, losing alot of the control which Im sure they are still working on that. User levels were removed temporary as the Dev Team has been working on a brand new Leveling System that not even Snakpakk knows how it looks yet.

So yeah...The Site isn't going to be Reverting