Sorry it's been so long since a new one of these! We're at that time of year where we plan for E3 and it eats up all of my time. That, and I've been out of the office and sick. These will be returning on a regular weekly basis now though!
Features of Note Since the Last Time, Like, Three Weeks Ago
New Homepage Design
We've rolled out a new homepage design, which features a few big changes:
- Our promotional space (the Kubrick) is now split into three sections, so we can feature more content up at the top of the page
- We've condensed the three-column layout into two columns, which makes it much easier to read the page and find the news stories and videos that our members are looking for
- We're now promoting our reviews in a much more prominent way
- We've got a more streamlined calendar of upcoming video content
- We now have dedicated sections to promoting popular articles and videos
New Notifications System
We've completely rewritten our notifications system, which means the following things:
- You now have much more granular control over what sorts of notifications and emails you receive, through your profile settings page
- Game updates that appear in your notifications panel and page now feature boxart
- Notifications and emails now send much faster than before
- This change has fixed many of the outstanding issues with notifications that have been reported
- Notification emails now look like junk, but we're working on changing that
Game update notifications are still comically unhelpful. "An article has been posted for Watch Dogs" isn't super great, yeah. We're on that too!
- You can get a notification for @mentioning yourself, which is pretty useless
You can get a notification for receiving a private message, which is also pretty dumb since the PM count is like, right next to the notifications count
- Some users seem to be unable to save changes to the Big Grid of Notifications Settings pictured above
Notifications counts are sometimes jumping around
If you're experiencing other issues with notifications, please post here in this thread.
New Gamespace Design
We've also updated our gamespace design to make it a bit easier to grok, and align it a bit more with our learnings from our new homepage.
We're Automatically Locking Inactive Forum Threads
You may have noticed that starting a couple weeks ago, inactive forum threads were totes being locked en masse. This is by design, so as to prevent dead forum threads from being resurrected and thereafter, in general, being a nuisance to everyone.
If a general forum thread has not had one or more replies for more than 14 days, it is now automatically locked. Please note that this does not apply to game forums--just boards like System Wars, Games Discussion, Nintendo Discussion, etc.
Profile Feeds Now Feature Pagination
Previously, profile feeds only contained a maximum of 25 updates, which is not super hot, especially since you can get game updates in your feed now.
We've now completely rebuilt our user feeds system, and now support pagination through the "Show Me More" button, and store up to 100 updates.
Our long-term goal is to eliminate the maximum number entirely (or to at least make it much higher), but we want to make sure that our system can handle everything so we're starting at 100 and will push that higher.
Please note that this isn't intended to be a list of ALL the changes we make (we work on a lot more than this, srsly), but rather a list of changes that will directly affect or be seen by our members.
- Made a cosmetic change to turn "Ordered" and "Unordered" Stacks into "Ranked" and "Unranked" Stacks, which is a little bit easier to understand
- Fixed a bug that prevented you from re-rating a game and assigning a lower score than you had previously given it
- Fixed a bug that prevented you from reading a member review :(
- Made a change to our Autoplay Next Video feature so that if you pause the video you're watching once the 10 second countdown has triggered, it also pauses the countdown. We've also adjusted the opacity of the countdown strip so you can see what's happening beneath it much better!
- We've drastically improved the quality of our game popularity data, which will noticeably improve the games featured on our Top Games lists, as well as the New Games page