What is with these spams on OT?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jimy1475

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 jimy1475
Member since 2008 • 1228 Posts

I dont get it can you block the IP or the country that is coming from(i can bet its from like China)

elaborate people

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

1)Proxy

2)Banning a whole country would be stupid

But I agree that spammer are a problem and it seems gamespot won't do anything about them (except the "flag and wait",which isn't effective at all)

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By JP_
Member since 2007 • 12875 Posts

@jimy1475: Please flag the spam so we may handle it

JP

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 JP_
Member since 2007 • 12875 Posts

@MonsieurX: Hi MonsieurX

We only Moderate when we have the time as we are only Volunteers, we aren't Paid staff so we are doing the best job that we can

Yes some of these users are proxies but, not all our tools are working yet so we cant find that out just yet.

We do what we can to control the Spam and all we ask is that you Flag the Spam and we will check it out and handle it

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@juniorpower said:

@MonsieurX:

Hi MonsieurX

We only Moderate when we have the time as we are only Volunteers, we aren't Paid staff so we are doing the best job that we can

Yes some of these users are proxies but, not all our tools are working yet so we cant find that out just yet.

We do what we can to control the Spam and all we ask is that you Flag the Spam and we will check it out and handle it

I'm all aware of that but I think there should be something done to PREVENT the spam instead

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
@juniorpower said:
Please flag the spam so we may handle it

doesn't seem like it's the best way since the flag happen to "protect" the spammers instead of warding off

all that I can think now is that,nearly a quarter of them these days were those attention-hungry/thirsty jerks who lived near me,to solve this,would you tell the Information and Communication Ministry about it? because it seems like it's a very serious business

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Smashbrossive50
@jimy1475 said:

I dont get it can you block the IP or the country that is coming from(i can bet its from like China)

elaborate people

the largest attention-seeking country,good thing I would agree to say a permanent proxy ban in China,but still,some of them were those who lived in my country

255Utah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 255Utah
Member since 2008 • 5556 Posts

@Smashbrossive50: I've checked, on a site that tracks the site blockings. that tells to see If a site has been blocked in china. It turns out GameSpot is not blocked in china!

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Smashbrossive50

@255Utah: it would be a dangerous thing,don't Chinese people usually use their own site? Countless of stuffs are made there,one of them is at least a gaming site. Chinese people were the only type of people I can't trust financially,I heard frauds were discovered online,and some of them ended up here,which we have absolute zero tolerance,I would need a petition addressed to the UN to stop frauds,neither it's online or not.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 leon2365
Member since 2006 • 13096 Posts

I thought flagging posts still caused the user who flagged them to be "karma banned." has this been resolved yet? if so, we were not told about it, and if its not, then the continual flagging of spam will eventually result in the permanent ban of the user if im not mistaken.

255Utah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 255Utah
Member since 2008 • 5556 Posts

@Smashbrossive50: Yeah, I agree with your post. I can't stand of them either, but Still We still need to make more petitions, things have been getting out of hand a lot, and in these current years. I'm getting to the point where I can't even trust the most of society either!

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I have been getting rid of any spam that I find on any of the boards they post in. It's impossible to proxy ban these spammers since we do not know who they are and banning a proxy may hurt some legitimate users.Even IP bannning these spammers won't work because they may be using a dynamic IP address.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@leon2365 said:

I thought flagging posts still caused the user who flagged them to be "karma banned." has this been resolved yet? if so, we were not told about it, and if its not, then the continual flagging of spam will eventually result in the permanent ban of the user if im not mistaken.

If that glitch still exists it will just result in a really long karma ban depending on the amount of spam threads the user flagged.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By leon2365
Member since 2006 • 13096 Posts

@super600 said:

@leon2365 said:

If that glitch still exists it will just result in a really long karma ban depending on the amount of spam threads the user flagged.

I thought it would escalate as time went on and as more negative karma was incurred. if not, then for what I have seen and read, that system wont do anything for banning people that constantly spam.