Video stutters across all browsers. Why?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jdbtracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 jdbtracker
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts

Hi, this is a problem I have been noticing for a long time.

so I started trouble shooting everything and found out it must be your site. I have used Chrome, Firefox in all it's forms and Internet Explorer too, Turned off add-ons, set up privacy mode in all of them and it stutters bad, it's worst on Firefox and intermittent stuttering on IE.

Your videos on YouTube sometimes do this but it resolves itself after a few days... and for some reason your 60fps videos run flawlessly... which brings me to the conclusion that there is something going on that is not quite right.

What are you 60fps videos doing that the regular videos are not and your ads run flawlessly except on ie.

Stuttering video across all browsers.
flawless ads. flawless 60fps videos...

You guys need to check how your ads and 60fps videos are delivered to the users, could be that specific options are not turned on in the regular videos.

And do you guys have debug reports on how videos are being delivered? could be the format, encoding, or even the coding of the video stream itself. With debug reports you could find out what the problem is and if any users are experiencing choppy playback, may as well check the options.

Thank you,

Just want to make sure that the videos run perfect, this is my favorite source for game news after all... I would rather stay on site then go to YouTube.

jdbtracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jdbtracker

So, I've continued my testing on different computers, different video cards. same deal, it runs better on IE than the other browsers.

but recently it's stopped playing all together, seems the banner ads showing up before the videos during the video ads is messing with the playback, some flag or other isn't being triggered so the actual video doesn't play, it hangs.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@jdbtracker: Sorry to hear you're having issues with the ads. If you could take a screen shot of ad in question I can send it to disruption to see about it getting removed.

jdbtracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jdbtracker

Thanks DigitalDame. I've been continuosly testing the gamespot site and it has improved; Videos are back since the offending ads were removed and performance has improved in all regular videos. sooner or later I'm going to figure out exactly what is going wrong and either tell you or work on the offending code. thanks

so here is my further tally on android and iphone.

Iphone: Mercury Browser: flawless delivery of videos, but 60fps videos stutter; Safari Browser: flawless video delivery across the board; Chrome: good performance too.

Android: Firefox; stutters like crazy no matter what: Chrome works fine, but 60fps stutter.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#5 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
@jdbtracker said:

but recently it's stopped playing all together, seems the banner ads showing up before the videos during the video ads is messing with the playback, some flag or other isn't being triggered so the actual video doesn't play, it hangs.

This ad? Which was a Canada-specific ad-rotation issue by the sounds of it if so. This one at least should be gone now. If it's a different ad and it's still in the rotation then screenshot+location would be great.

As for stuttering, I've never had an issue with that personally, but it might be worth wiping your browser cookies&cache to see if that improves performance as a starting point if you haven't already.