User Review score still hasn't been fixed - ugh.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Derek3143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Derek3143
Member since 2013 • 90 Posts

I just looked up the reviews for Warhawk, on PS3. Users gave it an 8.5. Except that Gamespot thinks that Warhawk for PS3 is the same game as Warhawk for PS1, so the 8.5 User Review score is an average of how people rated the PS1 version from fifteen years ago and how people rated the PS3 version from today.

So what use is the 8.5 score information? Pretty much none. Could be that both versions got an average 8.5. Could be that the PS3 version got an average 9.3, but the few people rating the PS1 version gave it a 6.0 and brought the whole score down. Or the other way around. No way to know.

Is there any way to see the breakdown between the versions? Nope.

Is this just confined to this game? Nope. Every multi-platform game now has an aggregate User Score across the platforms. So the average User Review score is completely useless for any game with multiple versions. Even if the other version is a handheld, it all gets lumped into one score, no matter how different the various versions are.

Why did Gamespot make this change to their site, which pretty much craps on the users who take the time to rate a multi-platform game? I have no idea. On the old site, every multi-platform game had a "home page" where there was a convenient box that showed all the Gamespot and User Reviews for each version of a game. It was beautiful. But it got "fixed."

Is Gamespot going to correct this? A couple of weeks ago, when I first raised this, edgework from the site got on my thread and said that the User Reviews were going to get better. Maybe he meant that the font for the numbers would get prettier? Sigh.

Why aren't more people pissed about this? I'm guessing they don't realize it. But if enough people do, and voice their opinion, it'll be changed. I think. I hope.

benbonney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By benbonney
Member since 2005 • 688 Posts

If you read their FAQ before throwing a fit, you would know they are not changing every score deliberately, as every game would technically need re-reviewing to determine if it's to go up or down half a point.

Derek3143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Derek3143
Member since 2013 • 90 Posts

If you would read my post more carefully before being obnoxious, you would know that's not what I'm talking about.

The User Score averages are aggregations across multiple platforms. They weren't before the site was redesigned, and now they are. I don't care if they freeze the score at some point in time so they don't have to raise or lower it every time someone does a new review. That's not even remotely what I'm talking about.

I thought I made this clear, but let me try again for your benefit. If you see a User Review score for a PS3 game, it's not really an average score for the PS3 game. It's an average score for EVERY SINGLE VERSION OF THE GAME. So it's a score that reflects how users rated the PS3 version, the X360 version, the PC version, and yes, the freaking handheld ports as well. Doesn't matter if there's any difference in quality across platforms - the game is going to get one score. Older games, which were often great on one platform and terrible on another, have one aggregate score now.

Do you understand now?

And before I get in a flame war, edgework just told me on another post that Gamespot is aware of the issue, and they're working on it. So I don't really need you to understand. :))))))))

SoraKH2_Mau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SoraKH2_Mau
Member since 2012 • 40 Posts

I agree with you, Derek3143. Please Gamespot, listen to us, the scores we give to multiplatform releases are not useful for people if they don't know if there is an inferior version of a game or a version that is better.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 2

#5 rick
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

This has been brought up elsewhere and we're totally aware of it. Please continue discussion in this topic so that I can keep better track of it.

Thanks...