User Average Error, Please Change This!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

Can I please ask why the "User Average" next to your score and the Metacritic score shows the number of reviews and not the actual user average score?

For example:

Call of Duty: Ghosts. GS: 8, Metacritic average: 68, User average: 1443

Professor Layton Miracle Mask. GS 8.5, Metacritic average: 82, User average: 73

You aren't showing the "user average"...you're showing the number of user reviews. So something like CoD Ghosts looks completely stupid and something like Professor Layton is misleading...because that game doesn't have a 73 average score, it has 73 reviews...and you can't have an average number of reviews anyway.

What happens when a relatively unknown game with great reviews by you and Metacritic has a low number of user reviews? Someone, like myself, would see:

Game XYZ. GS 9, Metacritic 83, user average: 25.

Many people, also like myself, base purchases heavily off of user reviews. When they see an average "score" of 25, something your website doesn't clarify, then they write the game off as bad and your scores as biased. It doesn't become clear until someone clicks on the number. Then it becomes obvious and then everyone thinks that's REALLY stupid page design.

Please change this to say "User Reviews" or actually have it show the average user score.

Thanks.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#2  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

Nice catch - seems it's just the ones in the banner-like part of each game page that suffers from this bug, scrolling down a little on the main game page or the review page shows the actual ones (namely user average rating X out of Y ratings. - average rating 5.7 out of 1443 ratings for CoD: Ghosts for instance) Chances are it's just accidentally reading from the wrong database values, I'm fairly certain that it's meant to be the average user rating and not the number of ratings up in that top right section.

On the upside, should be a fairly quick&simple fix once the devs are aware of it.