Updated: Adding to collections should be possible from gamespaces

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

I removed all the items in there except for upcoming games that I'm really hyped about.

DynV

Trying this a 2nd time! I went one better. I don't follow any games at all because it is too much of a pain to go to my follow list to "find" and "delete" the wrong ones.

kirkonacid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#153 kirkonacid
Member since 2010 • 486 Posts

I agree. When I go through and add a bunch of games to my collection, it is quite annoying to have to unfollow most of them too.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#154 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

It would be nice if they'd at least acknowledge us in this thread, and maybe explain wy they made the change in the first place.

Matrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155 Matrix
Member since 2002 • 1456 Posts
They need to make separate buttons on each game page for: 1. Now playing 2. Following 3. Wish list Like it's not hard to create on a website. I could make it myself for crying out loud...
Gyumaou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Gyumaou
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I tried and tried but I can bear it no more... please, PLEASE change this.

Either go for what Matrix wrote, separate buttons, or if that would clutter the UI too much, why not make one button, say "ADD TO..." which then opens up a window where you can choose which list to add to. Sounds familiar? Well yes it should, that what some smartpants got rid of to bring in THIS "feature". Users keep complaining they want to follow every game they add to collection and that's too much clicking? Well, you had that covered as well, under site options. Just tick where games should be added automatically when the button is clicked. Yes, bring back the old way.

Possibly with one improvement - instead of opening up a new window with adding options I'd love it if you stuck that in an unrolling pane, just like the additional game details under the "more info ->" button. I was midly annoyed by the small pop up window.

As for my motivation, it's the same as everyone else. Old games, games I own, add to collection, no need to follow, waste time removing from follow list.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#157 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="Otaku_son"]

Going on six months and it's still not fixed?

I'm signing this, too.

mariostar0001

Fixed? It's not a problem, it's a feature. It wouldn't be "fixed", it's be changed.

"Feature" and "problem" are not mutually exclusive, especially when absolutely no one wants the feature in question. :P

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#158 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts

After dealing with the Auto Follow feature for a couple of months now I have to say I find it annoying. I wish it would be done away with, since it's more inconvenient for users that don't want to follow a game than it is convenient for users that do.

Avatar image for DarthVeng_basic
DarthVeng_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 DarthVeng_basic
Member since 2002 • 981 Posts

I hate having to add a game, then go into the Following and remove it, every single time. I have a bunch of older games I own, but I dont want to add them because every single one of them will be followed and i'll have to remove them all. Whoever set it up this way needs a swift kick in the face.

I find it interesting they spent the time and effort to upgrade the layout of the site today, but they can'tt spend time fixing this, or the Achievement Icons being wrong for nearly everything. Very interesting....

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#160 Shidira
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts

[QUOTE="DynV"]

I removed all the items in there except for upcoming games that I'm really hyped about.Dracula68

Trying this a 2nd time! I went one better. I don't follow any games at all because it is too much of a pain to go to my follow list to "find" and "delete" the wrong ones.

I also wish to throw my vote on this, it's quite obnoxious to not only add a game to my collection, but to have to follow it. There isn't even a mass delete option in the "following" section, so you have to individually select them for "delete". It's more of a hassle then it should be.

bamarolltide16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#161 bamarolltide16
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts

I just wanna learn how to unfollow games....Haven't been on here much....

ozspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 ozspark
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts

God I hate this feature..

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#163 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

I just wanna learn how to unfollow games....Haven't been on here much....

bamarolltide16
You can go to your Games Lists, then to your Following List, and then delete the ones you don't want to follow. To me, this is a huge hassle. As far as following games goes, I think it should go back to the way it was where you had an option to follow a game or not.
hillfinger73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 hillfinger73
Member since 2004 • 198 Posts

I agree i would prefer to select the games i wanna follow instead of it happening automatically when click Follow.

Felouen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Felouen
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I also agree, the feature too much clutters my update section. When I want to add some old games, I do not need to follow them as they are not updated anymore, so I have to go to options and manually delete them from the followed list.

Ryosagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Ryosagi
Member since 2004 • 156 Posts

Honestly, its a bit of a hassle that should have been dealt with a long time ago. Would like to choose how to go about this.

Cede

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#167 Cede
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Half the time I go to Delete entries in my follow list, the page refreshes and they're still there. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries before it sticks.

Someone mentioned achievements. I had an achievement or 2 in the past that are now missing entirely. Whats the deal??

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

[QUOTE="mariostar0001"][QUOTE="Otaku_son"]

Going on six months and it's still not fixed?

I'm signing this, too.

GabuEx

Fixed? It's not a problem, it's a feature. It wouldn't be "fixed", it's be changed.

"Feature" and "problem" are not mutually exclusive, especially when absolutely no one wants the feature in question. :P

Exactly. And I can't believe this "feature" is still running. Specially after 9 pages of posts.
caityful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 caityful
Member since 2010 • 1210 Posts

This is a very annoying feature... It would be better if there were a seperate option to simply "Add" games to collection, with "Follow" game updates on a whole other button altogether.

Avatar image for deactivated-583d57c5508d3
deactivated-583d57c5508d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 deactivated-583d57c5508d3
Member since 2011 • 246 Posts

100% agree with this. New to gamespot and added all my games. Had to delete all of them from the following list. I don't want to be tracking the latest news on games like Age of Empires (ca 1999)

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#172 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Throwing another voice of complain into the mix. I don't want to follow anything except games I'm looking forward to, not games that I already OWN.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#173 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Apparently this was changed recently.When I click the Follow button on a game page, it automatically adds to my Followed Games list! And I can't disable it in the preferences anymore.

I just want to add a game to my collection, not "follow" it. I don't need a bunch of games I already own cluttering up my Updates. This is annoying, please let us disable the automatic following of a game in the preferences.

M3tr4nk0

Oh man, I so should have made this thread long ago, because I agree.

There is an annoying way to disable it after you follow it, but this needs to be fixed.

Avatar image for AtheistPreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 AtheistPreacher
Member since 2002 • 1130 Posts

So this has been going on for about 8 months now... and still they refuse to even give us the OPTION to siwtch it back? Seriously?

I am severely annoyed several times a week by this issue.

SamP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 SamP
Member since 2002 • 1602 Posts

We've definitely heard your feedback and we have changes to the GameSpot follow and add to list buttons coming any day now to simplify and clarify how this works.

Following games is now a core part of the new GameSpot Fuse (see What is GameSpot Fuse? post) and we're making following games a lot simpler. But the new GameSpot Fuse does not include collections or wishlists at this time, so the "Add to List" button will stay on the search results page, so you can still search for games to add to your collection.

And since following games and adding them to a list are very separate activities, we'll turn off the automatic following of games in the Add to List popup when this rolls out.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#176 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

We've definitely heard your feedback and we have changes to the GameSpot follow and add to list buttons coming any day now to simplify and clarify how this works.

Following games is now a core part of the new GameSpot Fuse (see What is GameSpot Fuse? post) and we're making following games a lot simpler. But the new GameSpot Fuse does not include collections or wishlists at this time, so the "Add to List" button will stay on the search results page, so you can still search for games to add to your collection.

And since following games and adding them to a list are very separate activities, we'll turn off the automatic following of games in the Add to List popup when this rolls out.

SamP

Thank you.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#177 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

SamP
Thanks!
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#178 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1728 Posts
I hate to sound rude, but why in god's name was this done in the first place? Please, please, please get rid of it. I hate having stacks and stacks of spam in my updates when I simply want to add a game to my owned collection. I don't see a point in continuing to go back and delete my new games from "followed" over and over.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
I hate to sound rude, but why in god's name was this done in the first place? Please, please, please get rid of it. I hate having stacks and stacks of spam in my updates when I simply want to add a game to my owned collection. I don't see a point in continuing to go back and delete my new games from "followed" over and over.aryoshi
Please read 3 posts above yours. Thanks!
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#180 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1728 Posts
[QUOTE="aryoshi"]I hate to sound rude, but why in god's name was this done in the first place? Please, please, please get rid of it. I hate having stacks and stacks of spam in my updates when I simply want to add a game to my owned collection. I don't see a point in continuing to go back and delete my new games from "followed" over and over.Dracula68
Please read 3 posts above yours. Thanks!

Ahaaa, I understand. I apologize for sounding grouchy. Thanks for the reply!
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#181 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts
I think you are doing a good job and Rome wasn't either build or torn down in a day. I am pleased with the new Gamespot upgrade and Fuse and am hoping there will be a mering of the two that will an eventual upgrade. I wish to add my thanks for making Gamespot easier to navigate. Just because it says Site Enhancements and Feedback doesn't mean you won't continue to get some whinging also
Serbine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#182 Serbine
Member since 2005 • 10934 Posts
I agree really hate this feature, since way back than I had everything in my option uncheck, so I can just add the game to whichever categories I want.
azshorty2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#183 azshorty2003
Member since 2004 • 4651 Posts
Agreed. Please remove this.
Icyswords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Icyswords
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

O.K. so that got fixed, but now the only button there is the follow button. How do I add games? Move it from my following list? The original problem was basically replaced with the same problem.

SamP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 SamP
Member since 2002 • 1602 Posts

O.K. so that got fixed, but now the only button there is the follow button. How do I add games? Move it from my following list? The original problem was basically replaced with the same problem.

Icyswords
With the recent changes, the Add to List button in search results is the primary way to add games to a list (collection, wishlist, now playing).
coruscant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#186 coruscant
Member since 2005 • 3406 Posts
[QUOTE="Icyswords"]

SamP
With the recent changes, the Add to List button in search results is the primary way to add games to a list (collection, wishlist, now playing).

I just noticed this change from 'add to' or whatever it was to 'follow', as if this was Twitter or something. Doing this, removing options, making it too simple, is not the way forward. Bring back the pop-up and options please!
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#187 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

[QUOTE="Icyswords"]

SamP

Surely you can see how backwards that is. If I'm being linked to a gamespace from a news article, or if I want to add a game I've been following to my collection or my now playing list, why should I then need to search for the game separately to do so? Adding to other lists really does belong on the gamespace - you can add to your wishlist from there still, why not the others too?

EDIT: And having used the button in the search, it's still auto-following anyway.

DynV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#188 DynV
Member since 2008 • 260 Posts

Adding to other lists really does belong on the gamespace - you can add to your wishlist from there still, why not the others too?

EDIT: And having used the button in the search, it's still auto-following anyway.

dab198

+1

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 AtheistPreacher

I think everyone complaining after this most recent changeover isn't properly appreciating what an impressive feat it is to take perfectly good functionality, which was broken 8 months ago, and managing to make it EVEN WORSE.

Seriously. It used to be you clicked a button, and told the thing what lists you wanted to add to. Perfect. Why in god's name was this ever changed?

Then, they make it so I MUST follow everything I choose to add to my collection, and I must go remove the game from my Follow list every single time. Extra WORK for me to do on an entertainment website that I'm paying for. Awesome.

Then they decide, hey, why not make it so the button to add a game to your collection ISN'T EVEN ON THE GAMESPACE ANYMORE? BRILLIANT!

What's the next move? Auto-follow every gamespace I ever visit, maybe?

SilverSignal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 SilverSignal
Member since 2011 • 551 Posts
I have to agree this really needs changed. You'd think a 7 page thread would make it happen but apparently not.
Dragon-Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Dragon-Wizard
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

What were they thinking? How could anyone have possibly believed that taking away options was a good idea?

I'm not entirely against the button changing to unfollow and telling you when something is already followed, that's kind of cool, but I kind of want to add stuff to my wish list. Don't just completely remove that; what the Hell?

AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 AtheistPreacher

Ideal would be, they could leave their precious follow-button as-is, but make it so that onMouseOver the other "add to list" buttons are there.

Stressthesky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Stressthesky
Member since 2009 • 490 Posts

Amazing, it's even more broken than before. How about making people follow consoles instead, so that they automatically follow the entire library of the system. I think this would be a good addition to the current ideology. This way there'd be even more stuff to click away.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Rod90
OK, now when I click to add a game on the search results, it does not changes to "currently following" for example...
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 Rod90
Is this a joke? It still adds automatically to the following list!! I searched the game Epic Mickey. The I cliked add to list. I clicked "add to my now playing" list Then I went to my profile and it was on both the following and now playing. WTH??? And when you click the "add to following list" is does not shows a visual cue like the other lists (they grey out when clicked, the following list not).
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#196 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts
Is this a joke? It still adds automatically to the following list!!Rod90
I said as much 7 posts ago :( I won't be unstickying this thread until that changes.
UmaSama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#197 UmaSama
Member since 2006 • 87 Posts

It would be nice to get a response from an admin and/or developer of GS. =/

M3tr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

#198 M3tr4nk0
Member since 2008 • 889 Posts

Looks like it's finally been fixed? I tried adding a game today and it didn't auto-follow! But now we have to SEARCH for a game just to add it. Great.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 Rod90

And when you click the "add to following list" is does not shows a visual cue like the other lists (they grey out when clicked, the following list not).Rod90

Yeah, this is really getting on my nerves.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#200 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

I hate this feature, I would love to see it removed. I actually look at my updates, and I hate seeing "PSP Hardware Update" just because I wanted to add PSP hardware to my collection (NOT FOLLOW!!!)