Unions reboot...or just a couple fixes please?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 -Wheels-
Member since 2005 • 3137 Posts

Couldn't find the old "Unions 2.0" thread so I thought I'd ask about this again...

It's been 6 years, people are still asking for union updates. No matter how hard you try to ignore it, the demand won't go away, only the users will. These aren't even crazy asks. Just the ability for them to level up again would be amazing or just some way to get rid of the graveyard of unions stuck at the front via surfacing more active unions. Or how about just surfacing the unions in the main navigation (under the "forums" tab) so that people can actually find them?

I do understand that unions are/were probably too expensive for gamespot to support (given that they are completely free for anyone to create). I am willing to pay for a monthly gamespot membership for the privilage of running a union, and I know there are many more out there willing to do the same. Heck, I'll even work with gamespot in giving feedback for a union reboot. I know there's a way this can be done right with compromises on both sides.

We're really not asking for much here. You can even rebrand unions back to user created forums if that makes you feel better. I beg, anything, any little update what so ever would greately help this feature. At the very least an explanation of why gs refuses to support unions.

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: It seems GS has restored leveling up and badges to the unions after being disabled since 2006. Please voice your opinion and let GS know their further work on Unions is much appreciated.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I've always supported this but I'm sure admins already know about the demand for this. Also, the unions seem to be getting some care, levels are working again.
Avatar image for deactivated-590595a6292ce
deactivated-590595a6292ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-590595a6292ce
Member since 2008 • 5080 Posts

I approve.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
Here's the thread you were looking for. And as for the issue at hand: I've discussed it to death really in that thread and elsewhere. Back years ago, I even joined the popular mass campaign for reforming unions ( I had a link in my sig to the thread I just linked you to, supported Sentinel in every initiative he made etc - I was quite the activist back then :cool: ). GameSpot knows my position on this. Like I said in that thread: continue having hope. GS fixed the union levels. I think that's a good sign that more is to come. Unions have been included in Fuse as well. This surely means that unions haven't been forgotten about, and probably won't be removed from the site. Therefore, after all this time, I do still believe unions will be reformed and improved. :)
Noteldnep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 Noteldnep
Member since 2005 • 20170 Posts
It's good that unions can earn badges again, and I also agree on the notion that GS' work on union reboots is much appreciated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 avatarIVN
Member since 2008 • 750 Posts

I completely approve the reviving of the unions. I suggest to the Gamespot Staff that the union emblems should make a return as well

Feryraiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Feryraiser
Member since 2009 • 1574 Posts

I'm All for revival of unions, its a great addition to gamespot. They also provide opportunities for people to further get to know people, especially those with the same interests.

MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

I love unions. I also love how the levels are back and everything. If they could keep going and being supported it'd be awesome :)

NarutoFever1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NarutoFever1
Member since 2008 • 19322 Posts

Restoring levelling and Badges is a good first start.

Not sure if I personally would prefer it this way or not, but changing the layout so that it matches the rest of the site is probably a big concern about them.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I love unions. I also love how the levels are back and everything. If they could keep going and being supported it'd be awesome :)

MrsSolidSnake
Having levels back is nice, I hope people won't spam them again.
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

Not sure if I personally would prefer it this way or not, but changing the layout so that it matches the rest of the site is probably a big concern about them.

NarutoFever1
I actually prefer the old school look that they have now. But the new layout glitch is quite annoying. If it comes down to having to change it, then I guess I'll have to get used to it. :P But as it stands, I'd like to keep the current layouts that the unions have now, if possible.
NarutoFever1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NarutoFever1

[QUOTE="NarutoFever1"]

2ndWonder

I actually prefer the old school look that they have now. But the new layout glitch is quite annoying. If it comes down to having to change it, then I guess I'll have to get used to it. :P But as it stands, I'd like to keep the current layouts that the unions have now, if possible.

Same here, but if it gets more people to come back and use them, then I can easily make the switch. Unfortunately there are probably some people who don't share the same mindset and may leave as a result, so it's a tough call.

It would be nice to be able to have a 'retro' option along with the revamp or something, but not everything can be optional.

-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Wheels-
Member since 2005 • 3137 Posts

Same here, but if it gets more people to come back and use them, then I can easily make the switch. Unfortunately there are probably some people who don't share the same mindset and may leave as a result, so it's a tough call.

It would be nice to be able to have a 'retro' option along with the revamp or something, but not everything can be optional.

NarutoFever1

I don't think that's going to happen because then GS would have to support two versions of the site for every feature they released or tweak they made. I'd rather them convert Unions to the new style if that means it's easier for them to keep adding features to them.

NarutoFever1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NarutoFever1

[QUOTE="NarutoFever1"]

-Wheels-

I don't think that's going to happen because then GS would have to support two versions of the site for every feature they released or tweak they made. I'd rather them convert Unions to the new style if that means it's easier for them to keep adding features to them.

That's why I said not everything can be optional.

It would be nice, but I doubt they can end up making everyone happy.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
Unions 2.0 will never happen, as much as anyone would ever like it to. The support just isn't there anymore. At the very least, I would like unions updated to the most recent version of the forums. Unions are now the least attractive portion of the website and that's not even factoring in the complete lack of activity.
digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#16 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts
Unions 2.0 will never happen, as much as anyone would ever like it to. The support just isn't there anymore.scorch-62
I always love how sure people sound when they say these kinds of things :P. While I can't physically prove it unions are something that is a topic frequently under discussion.
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MuddyMaestro
Member since 2009 • 10351 Posts

[QUOTE="2ndWonder"][QUOTE="NarutoFever1"]

NarutoFever1

I also prefer the layout offered in unions over the main site, but in order to really breathe life back into unions I doubt just fixing the glitches will suffice. GameSpot has realy died down from what it once was, and I think a full unions revamp is necessary to keep unions from being totally barren in just a few years. I have a bit more faith that it may someday occur with the return of the leveling system, but we're likely still in for a long wait.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
[QUOTE="scorch-62"]Unions 2.0 will never happen, as much as anyone would ever like it to. The support just isn't there anymore.Synthia
I always love how sure people sound when they say these kinds of things :P. While I can't physically prove it unions are something that is a topic frequently under discussion.

New information there. And of course, proof that this thread has gotten the attention of admins. :)
NarutoFever1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NarutoFever1

A lot of people probably just aren't vocal about it.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#20 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

Well, at least unions level up again. I just wonder why it took like 5 or 6 years for that to happen. I do think GS should pay a bit more attention to the unions.

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
[QUOTE="scorch-62"]Unions 2.0 will never happen, as much as anyone would ever like it to. The support just isn't there anymore.Synthia

As long as it's been since people started asking for union updates, all hope is lost regardless of whether or not Gamespot techs are actually talking about it or not. It's far, far too late now that most unions on the site have died. There was a rather large window of opportunity that has since been closed.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127500 Posts
[QUOTE="scorch-62"]Unions 2.0 will never happen, as much as anyone would ever like it to. The support just isn't there anymore. At the very least, I would like unions updated to the most recent version of the forums. Unions are now the least attractive portion of the website and that's not even factoring in the complete lack of activity.

I support an update of the forums if, and only if, some of the current problems with the newest design are fixed before the update happens.
sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

Then why isn't anything done?Its been 6 years and theirs been no major updates,unions could greatly improve the popularity of the site!I am leader of a union but I'm really struggling to make a mark for myself and I fear my union will die after all some of the biggest unions on gamespot are dead

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#24 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

[QUOTE="Synthia"][QUOTE="scorch-62"]Unions 2.0 will never happen, as much as anyone would ever like it to. The support just isn't there anymore.sexyweapons

Then why isn't anything done?Its been 6 years and theirs been no major updates,unions could greatly improve the popularity of the site!I am leader of a union but I'm really struggling to make a mark for myself and I fear my union will die after all some of the biggest unions on gamespot are dead

Great question, but I only have insight in regards to the situation since I've been a GameSpot employee (which happened in April of 2011). And ever since seeing the state they were in I've been mentioning it at every community meeting I've been in. But again, I can see how after 6 years of neglect union fans and leaders alike would simply see this as lip service. If that is what you want to think I clearly can't stop you, and you can continue to say that no one cares, and that nothing will be done but that won't stop me from campaigning for a union upgrade. And while many unions have gone with the wind (which is very unfortunate) I hope that when something changes we will see new ones created and old ones returned.
Azaru32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Azaru32
Member since 2010 • 6234 Posts
It's nice to see that there is some kind of support on this matter. And seeing that some features are working again (union levels), i can only hope that its the beginning of something bigger, not the end...
Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

Are we ever gonna see Official Endorsement of particular unions make a return?

Was also curious if the featured unions was ever gonna be updated too? Most featured died a long time ago.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127500 Posts
[QUOTE="Synthia"] Great question, but I only have insight in regards to the situation since I've been a GameSpot employee (which happened in April of 2011). And ever since seeing the state they were in I've been mentioning it at every community meeting I've been in. But again, I can see how after 6 years of neglect union fans and leaders alike would simply see this as lip service. If that is what you want to think I clearly can't stop you, and you can continue to say that no one cares, and that nothing will be done but that won't stop me from campaigning for a union upgrade. And while many unions have gone with the wind (which is very unfortunate) I hope that when something changes we will see new ones created and old ones returned.

Nice to know there is "new blood" campaigning for unions.
NarutoFever1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NarutoFever1

I take it they aren't, but I'll ask anyways just to be sure. The Unions aren't staying the way they are, are they? And by that I mean the layouts for them match the rest of the site, but they lack any distinguishing Union features.

Before it was just until you posted something. Either it's a glitch or they're being worked on.

Azaru32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Azaru32
I wouldn't want them just as regular forums. Wouldn't be fun. They need to have a new layout but to be different from "normal" forums...Something unique
NarutoFever1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NarutoFever1

I wouldn't want that either. If anything, just keep all the features of Unions but match the layout/theme or whatever you want to call it with the rest of the site.

sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sexyweapons

[QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

[QUOTE="Synthia"] I always love how sure people sound when they say these kinds of things :P. While I can't physically prove it unions are something that is a topic frequently under discussion. Synthia

Great question, but I only have insight in regards to the situation since I've been a GameSpot employee (which happened in April of 2011). And ever since seeing the state they were in I've been mentioning it at every community meeting I've been in. But again, I can see how after 6 years of neglect union fans and leaders alike would simply see this as lip service. If that is what you want to think I clearly can't stop you, and you can continue to say that no one cares, and that nothing will be done but that won't stop me from campaigning for a union upgrade. And while many unions have gone with the wind (which is very unfortunate) I hope that when something changes we will see new ones created and old ones returned.

Well atleast some members of staff care about unions,I still don't think unions will make a return as I feel Gamespot has put aempathiseon features like Fuse and as much as I belief you Synthia I still dont think anything will happen

JasonGriffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JasonGriffee
Member since 2011 • 194 Posts

I think a really good first step may be to purge "dead" unions. Take for example, if there has been zero activity in 6+ months. There probably isn't much that can be done for thatparticular union. I'm curious as to what the headcount, and the percentage of all unions it would encompass.

NarutoFever1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NarutoFever1

I'd say that would be the case with at least fifty-percent of them.

In any case I'd be against that motion.

Azaru32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Azaru32
More than 50 percent. But even a purge wouldn't change anything unless it is supported by further fixes, patches, updates etc
NarutoFever1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NarutoFever1

I think new, unestablished Unions are especially susceptible to dieing off at this point in time.

sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sexyweapons

I think new, unestablished Unions are especially susceptible to dieing off at this point in time.

NarutoFever1

Actually I think even the biggest unions are vunerable to death

NarutoFever1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NarutoFever1

[QUOTE="NarutoFever1"]

sexyweapons

Actually I think even the biggest unions are vunerable to death

Certainly they are, though it would be less common, and I doubt they'd totally die. New Unions on the other hand are mostly succumbing to sudden infant death syndrome as far as I've witnessed.

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

Unions version 2 open discussion

Your feedback is appreciated.