Union reform confirmed!

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
[QUOTE="michaelP4"]Union reform confirmed!:
While there are many pages on GameSpot that are in desperate need of a reboot... Unions will be addressedGameSpot Developer Lark Anderson
See? What did I tell you all? Told you it was coming! ;)

What's the point of this? We tried before. Won't do anything. Actually, this time, yes it will. GS has been radically changing in the past few months. Sure, the change hasn't happened over night, but it is happening. Admins have also been more proactive recently, in particular to our ideas. Just look at the support boards: we now have admins replying to our ideas on this board and to glitches on Technical Support. Glitches are actually being fixed. For example, union levels and emblems are now functioning, after years of not working. If GS was going to dump unions, they would not have done this. We have also had GS Community Manager Synthia expressing her strong support for unions. With Synthia on our side, quite simply, it's only a matter of time I think. When union reform will happen, I don't know, but I have a gut feeling it will happen this year. In 2011, an admin involved in the development of Fuse, said something to the effect that they haven't forgotten about unions and plan to do something with them. Of course, my sceptical self just thought it was talk. But, to be fair, he appears to be right so far. Change has happened. And I believe more is to come... Union reform will happen this year? How do you know this? I'll be honest: I don't. But I have a gut feeling that something to do with unions will happen this year, considering the change in circumstances as mentioned above. The admins have been more responsive to users. Now, is the time more than ever, to show admins while they are watching that we want unions to be reformed. Why not just use the Unions Version 2 thread? It's obsolete. It was made in 2006 - yes, that long ago... when Greg Kasavin was around as Head Editor, along with BethanyM as CM. Jody was only just starting as a CM back then, who would eventually succeed Bethany. Never heard of Greg or Bethany? If not, please post in here saying so, as that will show just how long it was and how times have changed. We're now in 2012. The ideas in that thread were suggested when the site used the old layout. We're no longer in the old layout. Fuse is here. Fuse is steadily becoming increasingly integrated into the site. Most of those ideas may not even be wanted by users - I've always had a feeling that when a GS admin opens that topic, and sees giant posts of information, that's what users want. Nothing could be further from the truth. Users just want change, in some form, no matter how big or small. What that change is, can be debated later. This topic's purpose is simply to show statistical support (using the poll, which I don't think back then in 2006 we had, which explains why that thread doesn't have a poll) for unions reform. Do you honestly think an admin, during their working hours or free hours of time is going to even skim through that thread let alone read it? No. So let's make their job as easy as possible for them. Additionally, I can remember admins sometimes using the excuse that there's no widespread support for union reform. Is that true? If you disagree, then Vote Yes in here and prove them wrong. Make it so they cannot ever use that excuse again. And in doing so, please please please let other users know about this thread (through your sig, blog, union etc), and let them vote how they want (nobody's telling you how to vote here). We just want a definite solid answer to this question once and for all. The numbers don't lie. Thank you. Additional information

Want proof that GameSpot users want union reforms? Here you are, nearly 1000 votes strong.

MudkipMaster30
^ Just so we're not being misleading: in the feedback section of the site, you can use 3 votes for a particular enhancement. So it's reasonable to conclude that what mudkip linked us to shows about 300 individual users at least supporting union reforms. Let's try to replicate that, and even surpass it! I know we easily can. ;)
Zeromus1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Zeromus1337
Member since 2008 • 15955 Posts

I voted yes (again).

Did the older thread get deleted or locked?

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
There is no details on the type of changes being proposed to have an opinion. Besides, any changes made to unions will result in any number of bugs and glitches that will plague either unions or the forums on top of those that are already "roaming around". At this time I cannot support this. My apologies.
ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 ShadowofSonic
Member since 2009 • 24616 Posts
Voted no. Sorry.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 michaelP4

I voted yes (again).

Did the older thread get deleted or locked?

Zeromus1337
Yeah, I got it deleted. We'll pretend it never existed from this point onwards. This is a completely new thread. The poll this time has absolutely no relation to the poll last time. What you see is what you see; no hidden or extended meanings. A simple question, with a simple answer. No room for misinterpretation this time (I've even had the question pre-tested).
lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
I'm not sure what can be change from an infrastructure perspective. But I suppose customization requires better infrastructure.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts
There is no details on the type of changes being proposed to have an opinion. Besides, any changes made to unions will result in any number of bugs and glitches that will plague either unions or the forums on top of those that are already "roaming around". At this time I cannot support this. My apologies. F22_King_Raptor
Which glitches are floating around in unions these days?(except telegrams bug in larger unions) Or the forums in general?

To be on-topic: I support a change for the unions. I assume no current feature(not that I actually know them all) will be lost, although some changed perhaps.
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#8 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
I vote yes We need some change and more customization plus the union pages need to match the home page.
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MuddyMaestro
Member since 2009 • 10351 Posts

Want proof that GameSpot users want union reforms? Here you are, nearly 1000 votes strong.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 michaelP4
Excellent find mudkip! Included in the first post. :) EDIT: Just so we're not being misleading: in the feedback section of the site, you can use 3 votes for a particular enhancement. So it's reasonable to conclude that what mudkip linked us to shows about 300 individual users at least supporting union reforms. Let's try to replicate that, and even surpass it! I know we easily can. ;)
ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShadowofSonic
Hah. I don't know why people want a change. What is wrong with the unions? And before you say: ''Their dead!'' Remember that changing them won't make them more busy.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
I like the union levels being made functional again. I'm also thankful for Synthia's support. I don't mind updates to the unions, but keep Fuse out of it - I don't use nor want Fuse to replace everything (it's already mucked up Achievements). Changes are nice, but give us a choice on both unions and profile pages.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 julian_jr
Member since 2007 • 83416 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowofSonic"]Hah. I don't know why people want a change. What is wrong with the unions? And before you say: ''Their dead!'' Remember that changing them won't make them more busy.

Unions aren't dead, there's plenty out there which are pretty active.
Kelayr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kelayr
Member since 2005 • 61857 Posts
Better than the previous thread! I vote yes for change, since I've always thought unions should be getting a lot more attention from GameSpot than they already are. I suppose this is a good time to be optimistic about the issue too since Synthia has been fighting for unions as well.
Nightmare-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Nightmare-_-
Member since 2006 • 17420 Posts
now people see the light :lol: yes please it would be great for union to get upgrade.. it been long..
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#16 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowofSonic"]Hah. I don't know why people want a change. What is wrong with the unions? And before you say: ''Their dead!'' Remember that changing them won't make them more busy.

They're not dead but many of the active ones are on the verge of being dead which kind of defeats the purpose of having unions because we have unions to discuss special interests and such.
scott1213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 scott1213
Member since 2006 • 1667 Posts

I actually want to see unions to be reformed.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
I would absolutely love a union overhaul. Now, I'm not exatly sure what the staff are prepared to do in terms of reforms. But ideally I would like to see a whole new lease of life thrown into them, through whatever means necesary. Be it through better interface, through bugfixing, better support and advertisement, or by having the whole thing re-done. I really would like to see unions thrive again, because they are a really unique and worthwhile trait of this site.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

That last thread was locked down and moved to a hidden area of Gamespot.com. So was the thread that inspired it. I see the OP is almost identical.

Glad to see this thread's premise is much better and revised.

I wouldn't mind voting for a reform, IF I knew what a REFORM meant. However, I probably shouldn't blindly vote for a magical reform that I don't understand, because it could be the opposite of what I want. I believe I voted yes, but I actually would like to remain neutral until I know what REFORM actually means.

killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

uhhhh, union emblems are still not working

and if i pick yes, that means the unions won't be deleted, just updated right?

julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 julian_jr
Member since 2007 • 83416 Posts
Guys, there's no guarantee that by voting there would be reforms. Just throwing that out, since a lot of people seem to think that reforms will occur. Until an actual admin has confirmed something (and I don't mean the usual "we're talking about doing ___") I don't expect anything.
FuryX-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 FuryX-4
Member since 2009 • 409 Posts

Honestly, I got too many unions and it's really hard to keep track and being active :\. But it would be cool to have union on FUSE though, but thats IMO. It would be very nice for active unions to be fixed.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

I would definetly support unions being updated. Although old, the ideas that Sentinelrv presented in Unions 2.0 were very impressive.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#24 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Voted yes. And we need an option to let us stop people inviting us to countless unions we have no interest in. Just sayin'.
ShadowofSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShadowofSonic
I know Unions are still active. Every single Union I am in is busy. That's my point.
sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

YES!I couldn't want a union overhaul anymore!

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
That last thread was locked down and moved to a hidden area of Gamespot.com So was the thread that inspired it. I see the OP is almost identical.SolidTy
I moved them out of view due to them misleading to many users.
Azaru32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Azaru32
Member since 2010 • 6234 Posts
I wonder if any admin will show up to support this...
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 michaelP4
I wonder if any admin will show up to support this...Azaru32
Synthia is aware of this thread (and is a confirmed supporter of union reform). And we have Dracula68 in here watching it too. They're just wanting to see how this thread goes probably, before saying anything. The best way to get an admin response on this is to keep union reform on the agenda - spread the word, get more users voting etc.
lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

Yes they should!

swimmer1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 swimmer1029
Member since 2009 • 24048 Posts

I vote yes. I can't imagine a complete overhaul would go smoothly, but I would like to see some sort of change.

If the time comes I hope the users will get to have a significant voice in the changes made.

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

Flogging a long-dead horse here, but yeah, I'd like new features and customisation options.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#33 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

Yeah, some union updates would be nice. Just maybe something like that can bring more activity into unions, since there's a lot of dead ones.

Big_Evil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Big_Evil666
Member since 2004 • 13817 Posts

leave it all as is! tired of all these pointless changes to this site. :evil:

ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 ktulu007
Member since 2004 • 41725 Posts

I'm still going to say no. For all I know the "reform" could be more oversight and censorship.

Without any specifics I can't support the measure. It could just as easily be negative changes as positive.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
As long as my bookmarks stay the same I'd be okay with it. I tried voting no btw but it didn't take.
lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts

I'm still going to say no. For all I know the "reform" could be more oversight and censorship.

Without any specifics I can't support the measure. It could just as easily be negative changes as positive.

ktulu007
You haven't noticed the new ToU, have you?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#38 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I'm tired of people sending me union invites all of the time, that's what I think needs reformed.

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
Yes. I mean, I don't really know what should be changed though. Other than they're still using the 2006 GameSpot theme and when you view them from the forums you can't access any of the other union pages, plus you try to post and it takes you to the 2006 layout to do it. I'll post screen shots if asked.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

I'm tired of people sending me union invites all of the time, that's what I think needs reformed.

Ovirew
Just keep them in your pm box so they can;t send any others.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#41 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Who are the 26 people who voted "no"? Show yourselves! I want an explanation for your actions.

...Oh, and yes -- I would love to see unions be reformed. They're long overdue for some improvements.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The-Apostle

Who are the 26 people who voted "no"? Show yourselves! I want an explanation for your actions.

...Oh, and yes -- I would love to see unions be reformed. They're long overdue for some improvements.

c_rake
As I said in my last post, I voted no. I prefer the old layout because quickpost isn't as broken as it is on the rest of the site since it still uses the editor.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 c_rakestraw  Moderator

As I said in my last post, I voted no. I prefer the old layout because quickpost isn't as broken as it is on the rest of the site since it still uses the editor.The-Apostle

You could open up the editor in a new tab, you know. That's what I've been doing since the editor was disabled on quick reply. Works just as well.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The-Apostle

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]As I said in my last post, I voted no. I prefer the old layout because quickpost isn't as broken as it is on the rest of the site since it still uses the editor.c_rake

You could open up the editor in a new tab, you know. That's what I've been doing since the editor was disabled on quick reply. Works just as well.

That takes too long. I need it in quick reply.

EDIT: We also need a quick edit, btw... >_>

sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

Ovirew

How are us union leaders supposed to know if you want to be apart of a union?And thats exactly why we need unions to be reformed!So theres a real inscentive to be apart of a union and to contribute to it because its your attitude my friend that kills unions off.

killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

[QUOTE="Ovirew"]

sexyweapons

How are us union leaders supposed to know if you want to be apart of a union?And thats exactly why we need unions to be reformed!So theres a real inscentive to be apart of a union and to contribute to it because its your attitude my friend that kills unions off.

i agree with this

Azaru32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Azaru32
Member since 2010 • 6234 Posts

Ovirew
Its really simple. Just ignore them. Like the others said, its the only thing that union members can do in order to find other people to join the union. I myself have joined many great unions by other people's invitation. Its not that big deal you know...
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]As I said in my last post, I voted no. I prefer the old layout because quickpost isn't as broken as it is on the rest of the site since it still uses the editor.c_rake

Or don't use the editor at all. Solves problems. :P
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 The-Apostle
[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]As I said in my last post, I voted no. I prefer the old layout because quickpost isn't as broken as it is on the rest of the site since it still uses the editor.horgen123

Or don't use the editor at all. Solves problems. :P

That creates problems for me. The editor's not broken. Trying to post without it is.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Or don't use the editor at all. Solves problems. :P horgen123

But then I have to learn HTML. And I don't want to!