Unable to change/edit thread titles that have polls in them.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Hi,

I would like to report an issue with the thread below:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/600-ps4-vs-600-8800-gtx-a-look-back-7-years-later--30959230/#5

I was going to try to change the title of the the thread to "PS3" instead of "PS4" as I originally intended but there is no option the make changes to it. I have informed moderators and they are also unable to make changes. One of the moderators suggested that I go to the link below:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/600-ps4-vs-600-8800-gtx-a-look-back-7-years-later--30959230/edit

to make changes but when I do it says that I have exceeded the 60 character limit. Even though, I was able to create the thread fine. Regardless, I did try to reduce the title of the thread and hit the "Save" button but the title of the thread still doesn't change. I was told by the moderators that this seems to be a bug with threads that have "Polls" in them such as mines.

I would like to have this issue resolved or at the least change the thread of title where it has the word "PS4" to be changed to "PS3".

Thanks.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -3

#2 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

When I look at the edit title/thread page it shows no message content still (poll related bug), so I'm guessing it never went through when you tried to edit it - did you add any message content prior to submitting? If you didn't that would explain why it didn't and it'd be worth trying again, remembering to add some message content (what isn't particularly important, just make sure it's not particularly spammy, last thing we need is further bugs potentially occurring from the removal of the title-linked-but-not-1st-post in a poll thread. If that wasn't the case, then it's possible the bugged title post in poll threads is considered as deleted by the system, and requires mod privileges to edit. Another possibility is that it breaks entirely after the 1st reply to a poll thread, as the edited post is supposed to be immediately after the poll post itself, before other replies.

If you can't get it to work then I can try editing it myself, but it'd be ideal if you provided the title in that case as it'll need shortening - the message content I'll use will most likely be a generic message about it being an unavoidable poll-title bug-fix post, unless you have something specific you'd like to put in it - I'm unsure if you'll be able to edit posts after a moderator edits it.

As for the 60 character limit, I imagine the only reason it went through initially is due to the lack of an equivalent check when posting a poll, and a back-end system uses the poll question to set the title, bypassing the limit. Probably intended, but it should work fine with a shortened title.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Xtasy26

@robbristow:

Hi, I don't think I added any message content. Just shortened the title. I will give it another shot. Thanks for responding.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Xtasy26

@robbristow:

Hi I tried changing the title to no avail. If you can please change the title to:

"$600 PS3 vs $600 8800 GTX: An analysis 7 years later."

Thanks.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

Well, it worked fine for me - the post appeared at the end of the thread, here, and if you can edit it with some worthwhile content that'd be ideal - I've just put a note in it to say that it's linked to the title atm. As a result, the edit link above should now automatically show up it's message content when trying to edit the thread, and hopefully also allow you to modify the title if it lets you modify the post (if you can't change the post then you won't be able to change the title either for the same reason though) - I suspect the main reason you couldn't is because it's hidden by default, a moderator editing it may block you out from it now though, if the new site has that little feature - the old one did for quite a while at the least.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Xtasy26

@@robbristow:

Thanks for the change. Much appreciated!

Edit: However, the second poll now reads: $600 PS4 vs $600 8800 GTX: A look back 7 years later. Which one was better?.

Where it should be (like the old poll): "PS3: Some 1080P games, 720P games, exclusives, PSN."

It would be great if you could change it as it's not allowing me to change it. Sorry for the hassel.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

@Xtasy26 said:

@@robbristow:

Edit: However, the second poll now reads: $600 PS4 vs $600 8800 GTX: A look back 7 years later. Which one was better?.

Where it should be (like the old poll): "PS3: Some 1080P games, 720P games, exclusives, PSN."

It would be great if you could change it as it's not allowing me to change it. Sorry for the hassel.

It actually said that already prior to me changing the title, even said that when you 1st PMed the mod team (at least, it did whenever I viewed the thread, it's even stranger if it's displaying different things to different users though). Unfortunately though, I can't see any way to edit that post, including the poll, only reason I can even change the title is because it's (rather oddly) linked to a different post - the devs may be able to help but I imagine they have more important things on their plate. It is odd that it would've changed at all to begin with though, perhaps another bug with the poll thread implementation. Hopefully edgework, stylyy, Puppies4Life or any other dev will be able to fix the root cause of it, in the meantime they (or perhaps another staff member) may be kind enough to correct the poll despite their busy schedule.

As a note, I'd advise that anyone making a poll for the time being ensures that everything - title, poll entries, and text in the 1st post - is accurate and won't need any editing prior to submitting, as moderators can only delete (via removal of the entire thread), not edit, that initial poll post, and even changing the title is mildly buggy.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xtasy26

@robbristow said:

@Xtasy26 said:

@@robbristow:

It actually said that already prior to me changing the title, even said that when you 1st PMed the mod team (at least, it did whenever I viewed the thread, it's even stranger if it's displaying different things to different users though). Unfortunately though, I can't see any way to edit that post, including the poll, only reason I can even change the title is because it's (rather oddly) linked to a different post - the devs may be able to help but I imagine they have more important things on their plate. It is odd that it would've changed at all to begin with though, perhaps another bug with the poll thread implementation. Hopefully edgework, stylyy, Puppies4Life or any other dev will be able to fix the root cause of it, in the meantime they (or perhaps another staff member) may be kind enough to correct the poll despite their busy schedule.

As a note, I'd advise that anyone making a poll for the time being ensures that everything - title, poll entries, and text in the 1st post - is accurate and won't need any editing prior to submitting, as moderators can only delete (via removal of the entire thread), not edit, that initial poll post, and even changing the title is mildly buggy.

Thank you for your response. Yeah, I believe you mentiond that in your other post where changes may effect the entire thread (but I wasn't sure). Thanks for really looking into it. Hopefully my mistake showed a bug that other's may not have noticed. So, they devs could provide a fix in the future.

Thanks!