This topic is locked from further discussion.

LiquidButter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 LiquidButter
Member since 2014 • 46 Posts

Can Gamespot please turn on video archiving on its Twitch channel? That is my preferred way of watching many of the Gamespot livestreams that I've missed, but nothing has been added to the archive in 3 months which leads me to believe video archiving has been turned off.

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2 JP_
Member since 2007 • 12875 Posts

@liquidbutter
I believe they still post there videos on the Youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/gamespot

All videos I am sure are posted here on the site as well under the correct show section

LiquidButter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LiquidButter

@jp_: "That [Twitch.tv] is my preferred way of watching many of the Gamespot livestreams that I've missed"

Please turn video archiving back on. Don't make me beg...

Mr_Pants_tent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mr_Pants_tent
Member since 2005 • 146 Posts

Yes! Please archive on twitch. I usually watch house of horrors there because they don't always post the full stream on the site, but never get a chance to watch it live. Why would you not do this, gamespot?

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#5 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

Interesting. I'll bring this up with Dan. Thanks for letting us know.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 digitaldame

@liquidbutter: I understand that Twitch is your preferred method of viewing, but all of our past broadcasts are available in HD, for free on http://www.gamespot.com/shows/ which is a higher quality than what Twitch is able to support. Thanks for understanding.

LiquidButter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LiquidButter

It's no secret the Gamespot website is buggy. Megabit was on at 11am this morning.

Go to Gamespot's page to find the video archive... http://www.gamespot.com/videos/u-n-squadron-snes-megabit/2300-6419853

Oh look, there's no video loading (as of 3:40pm when I'm writing this. Almost 4 hours after the show started airing) Hmm, I guess I'll go check Gamespot's Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gamespot/videos

Oh, it's not on there.

So now I'm forced to wait until you guys get around to uploading it. Where as if Twitch archiving was enabled, I'd be able to start watching it at any moment. Twitch starts archiving those streams before the stream is even over. So at any time I'd be able to go there and know for sure it would be there. I'm aware the feed on Gamespot's website is of higher quality, and I appreciate that. But it's not as consistently available as a Twitch archive.

I'm not asking for a lot of work to be done here. I just ask that you go into the Twitch account setting and switch archiving to "on". It's so simple and yet would be so highly appreciated.

[edit]

The Megabit video is available now, but my point still stands that the Twitch video archive is more consistent and reliable.

Mr_Pants_tent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mr_Pants_tent
Member since 2005 • 146 Posts

I am fine with watching replays on the Gamespot site, and it looks like the full house of horrors stream got posted to the site this week, though it hasn't always in the past.

Jasbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jasbro
Member since 2010 • 53 Posts

@DigitalDame said:

@liquidbutter: I understand that Twitch is your preferred method of viewing, but all of our past broadcasts are available in HD, for free on http://www.gamespot.com/shows/ which is a higher quality than what Twitch is able to support. Thanks for understanding.

I always like to catch the House of Horror shows on Twitch since they stream to late for me to watch live, and sadly they very rarely upload the full stream onto the gamespot website, they only upload a highlights reel thing which im sure is fine for some people, but enjoy the full experience.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By digitaldame

@liquidbutter: That is weird. I'll bring that up with Dan. Videos should be instantly archived on the site. That's why they're VOD's. The fact of the matter is that in the interest of better user experiences on GameSpot we choose to keep certain things on gamespot.com. But you're right. If they're buggy and make you want to go elsewhere then we have a HUGE problem. Thanks for reporting this Liquid.

neur0sis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 neur0sis
Member since 2004 • 1659 Posts

@liquidbutter: Sorry you seem to be having issues with the VoD's on the site.

Fact is, all the Live videos on GameSpot.com are available instantly following the broadcast. This is how our DVR video player works. We (too) start archiving the stream before its even over, and have been for 3+ years. While a broadcast is live, you can use the little "scrub" bar and rewind the stream live - in real time.

According to my publishing logs, the Megabit VoD was published at 12:31pm PT (31 minutes after it finished airing) in HD quality. There was a downtime of approx 7 minutes while it was converting from Live to VoD. I published this video to the site.

When the broadcast was over, what was the issue? When you went to this URL - http://www.gamespot.com/videos/u-n-squadron-snes-megabit/2300-6419853 - What was the behavior? Blank screen? No video Player? Ad play but no video? I'd like to solve this with you, as you seem to be experiencing a site and or cache issue.

@Mr_Pants_tent and @Jasbro - Moving forward, all HoH full videos will be uploaded to GameSpot, and will be in their show page here: http://www.gamespot.com/shows/houseofhorrors/

~Dan

adstanley84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By adstanley84
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

So had anything been done to fix this on Twitch?

My reasoning for my Twitch preference is more ease of access than videos working. The fact is, if I go to the videos on the gs site I have to sift through a ton of posted videos I don't really care about. When I go to the twitch past broadcasts I get nothing but all the shows I watch and I dont have to go into each show's page to see if something new has posted.