Threads perma-crashing on Chrome (32bit, Win8.1)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

At the reccomendation of @harry_james_potI'll create this thread (apologies if this issue has been posted/solved) regarding an issue with Chrome (32 bit, Win 8.1).

Not sure if this was addressed before or not, but on a Chrome (32 bit version) sometimes the individual threads just...crash(?). Probably not the correct word for it.

They become laggy as if it's trying to load stuff (which is a common issue with Chrome) but it does it in threads in which there are no major items to load. The threads becomes almost non-responsive (scrolling has to be done with the keyboard, writing anything has a major input delay, posting/editing/etc buttons and respective functions also become barely functional). The same threads work fine on other browsers.

Maybe it's just Chrome being Chrome but on other websites that only tends to happen in pages with many pics/gifs/videos and even then after 5-6 seconds everything works as it should (no lag, no bugs, nothing), which is not the case with the GS forums. Once a thread stops working on Chrome, it stops working period. Changing the page won't fix it, reloading won't fix it, clearing the cache won't fix it, posting in it won't fix it.... It's pretty odd really.

Quoted from another thread.

As hjp mentioned in said thread, it may be a script issue. What I can tell you is that it's pretty annoying since as I mentioned, once a thread "crashes", it's crashes for good. I'm forced to use another browser if I want to do anything in them again.

Is there any solution for this?

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@Desmonic said:
As hjp mentioned in said thread, it may be a script issue.

There was a script on the GOTY page causing slow downs like what you're describing, so I'm just guessing it might be similar. I certainly haven't seen this bug posted before though.

Have you tried disabling all the add-ons you have installed? Also what's your browser version, OS ( Edit: nvm, it's in the title :P ), and when did this issue start?

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@harry_james_pot: Well it started a few months ago. Late October, early November... but back then it would happen to maybe 1 out of 30 threads I'd read, so I didn't care much, I just assumed GS was changing stuff on the forums and it would be fixed sooner or later. Right now, it's easily 1 in 10, which is a pain.

What's strange is that in terms of add-ons I have the exact same I had before: Adblock, mail notifier and the Kaspersky password stuff. And no, disabling them doesn't seem to have any effect :S My only solution really is to open another browser (IE, Opera and Firefox work just fine).