This website is dying.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

I've been a loyal member for five years, and I've never seen such a huge slowdown in traffic on the forums as I have since the new site. Some 'new' posts take a few hours to respond to, as opposed to a few minutes on the old site. Members are taking off.

If there's any possible way to get the old site back, do it now. Suck up your pride and do it. The majority here really dislikes the forum changes and the layout/design in totality. It sucks. Let it go.

There are some fundamental changes to the design that are just plain ugly. The organization of content gives me a headache to navigate through. The front page sucks, and really it just looks like you're trying to push the faces of your REVIEWERS than the actual games. There's a huge difference, and lack, of functionality on this new site.

New isn't always better. If I don't see changes soon, I'll just pick up and move to another site. It's just frustrating because when people saw the pictures of the changes on the old forums, there was an OVERWHELMING negative reaction to them. If the gamespot team was listening at ALL, they would have KNOWN we wouldn't like these changes.

In a single update this site has gone from my #1 page for gaming news, to my least favourite gaming site to visit.

There isn't much I can tell you guys in terms of constructive feedback, because you're either already aware of what needs to be implemented, or the changes I'll propose would be too major to implement.

I don't see this site going anywhere with this design, and many people still left in the community would prefer to have the old site back.

foxrock66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By foxrock66
Member since 2010 • 409 Posts

It's not dying it's being strangled

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

There is even a thread about it over at IGN called: IGN has got to be loving the Gamespot Website IMPLOSION! I have seen at least one other GS user over there. With name changes, there could be more that I do not know about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Did you really love Gamespot so much before all of the site changes?

A few months ago people were already complaining because this or that segment or feature was dropped, and this or that reviewer gave a game a bad score.

And now everyone wants things to go back to the way they were a few months ago. But none of you were happy then, either!

It just makes me chuckle.

foxrock66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 foxrock66
Member since 2010 • 409 Posts

I was plenty happy.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

@Ovirew said:

A few months ago people were already complaining because this or that segment or feature was dropped, and this or that reviewer gave a game a bad score.

And now everyone wants things to go back to the way they were a few months ago. But none of you were happy then, either!

There's a pretty big difference between SOME stuff you don't like, but still can live with, especially when the site functionality WORKED as intended, and a TOTAL overhaul where NOTHING is left to be liked.....

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

@Ovirew said:

Yes, it's why I used this site. There were bugs that were annoying, certainly (BONK!), but at least it functioned properly and had the necessary tools for a forum. There were little features that were nice (now they are gone), it was insanely easy to navigate and keep track of the threads you've posted in - and if they've had more activity since you last checked them, and the posts didn't blend in with every other post. They stood out and so did the users.

I'm not going to leave this place, but you'd have to be in complete denial to think this place is just as popular as it was on the old format. It isn't. People have left. A lot of people who have been here for years have left. It sucks, and, yeah, I think it'd be pretty cool if the people behind the switch would just muster up the balls and say they screwed up. This wasn't a change for the better.

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8 s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

@foxrock66 said:

It's not dying it's being strangled

If that's the case, it's a form of auto-asphyxiation. :|

minkbikini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By minkbikini
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Jeez, where do I start? I know the trend is to video everything but occasionally I want to READ a review, topic, opinion. the front page is so chaotic it is impossible to find something to land on. (And forget about trying to check out yesterday's, day before, etc. posts...) the other big drawback is the new flashy bits WON'T LOAD in older browsers.

(after posting this I'm finding that my past posting has vanished (POOF) and I've been bucked to n00b.)

andruxandd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#10  Edited By andruxandd
Member since 2005 • 145 Posts

@chrisrooR: regards...

announcement...just ignore us...

I'm ok with new re-design but bring back all that was great and now missing or is a mess from GS site:

NEW RELEASES = now is a mess,

Main page = chaotic start page,

Bad SITE functionality (low speed-loading pictures,videos and pages),

Video downloads missing,

Notifications for new games,ratings=missing,

Reviews on my preferred platform>specified PC or ps3 or ps2 or...or...

...and many more...

andruxandd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#11  Edited By andruxandd
Member since 2005 • 145 Posts

UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Up is my post...I wrote more but there were only bits,disjoints, appear only a few words did not show all what i wrote!!! Fantastic! Here in the forum are bugs!

I wrote you are right...i'm so upset because nobody from GS team do not mind us...

And maybe a BIG petition with : Bring back the old site GS!

I have a topic with a poll and 91% from 32votes in 2 days is for old site back...

beutlich99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#12 beutlich99
Member since 2006 • 1129 Posts

@minkbikini said:

Jeez, where do I start? I know the trend is to video everything but occasionally I want to READ a review, topic, opinion. the front page is so chaotic it is impossible to find something to land on. (And forget about trying to check out yesterday's, day before, etc. posts...) the other big drawback is the new flashy bits WON'T LOAD in older browsers.

(after posting this I'm finding that my past posting has vanished (POOF) and I've been bucked to n00b.)

This

beutlich99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#13 beutlich99
Member since 2006 • 1129 Posts

@WhiteKnight77 said:

There is even a thread about it over at IGN called: IGN has got to be loving the Gamespot Website IMPLOSION! I have seen at least one other GS user over there. With name changes, there could be more that I do not know about.

My IGN use has significantly increased. I'm not leaving GS. I've been here for about 10 years. I'm hoping the site gets me back the features that I loved using before (this thread has posted most of them).

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

@minkbikini said:

Yes, thank you! Call me old fashioned, but I also prefer reading over videos. I got a headache trying to make sense out of the latest CoD review. There is also something about all of that media content on the GS front page that causes Safari to revert to a blank page before it finishes loading. I have to hit refresh every single time I go to GS before I can get the page to display. It's dumbfounding how bad this site is now.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 leon2365
Member since 2006 • 13096 Posts

@Ovirew said:

its a real "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation isn't it? everyone always wants to be happy, but gamespot cant please everyone. so people leaving gamespot is just fine, so that those that leave can be satisfies elsewhere. eventually more people that like the current design will join and replace those that left. just like the cycle of life.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#16  Edited By TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

It does seem that way. I mean, part of the reason for the new site in the first place was because the old one was so glitchy and they wanted to add stuff without breaking the site. At least on this new site, bonk and stuff is nowhere to be found. Perhaps even unions or something of that nature would make a full return in the future.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 leon2365

it is a possibility.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WhiteKnight77

@leon2365 said:

@Ovirew said:

its a real "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation isn't it? everyone always wants to be happy, but gamespot cant please everyone. so people leaving gamespot is just fine, so that those that leave can be satisfies elsewhere. eventually more people that like the current design will join and replace those that left. just like the cycle of life.

Yes, GameSpot wanted to be able to add new stuff to the site with the change, but part of it is that they wanted to attract more people to the site. The problem is, with everything that is buggy, missing and just plain broke, they cannot do that. The more people that leave means that they are going to say stay away from GS and when people will ask why and then the reasons will be given. That will mean that more people will not be coming to GS and have a net effect of keeping people away.

Sites like GS, IGN, Blue's News, Kotaku etc. is to have some basic features that work. People want to read reviews about games, comment on them and discuss them. The simple fact is, that it is really hard to do so on GameSpot right now and people will leave and keep others away. GS is a for profit business entity. If they weren't, there would not be any ads anywhere on this sight and they make money from people visiting this site so they need to have features that keep people coming back as well as draw new ones in so they can keep making money from the ads. A loss of visitors means a loss of revenue.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WhiteKnight77

@beutlich99 said:

@WhiteKnight77 said:

My IGN use has significantly increased. I'm not leaving GS. I've been here for about 10 years. I'm hoping the site gets me back the features that I loved using before (this thread has posted most of them).

So has mine. I recognize a couple of others from here over there and yes, I have been here over ten years too.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 leon2365

@WhiteKnight77 said:

@leon2365 said:

@Ovirew said:

Yes, GameSpot wanted to be able to add new stuff to the site with the change, but part of it is that they wanted to attract more people to the site. The problem is, with everything that is buggy, missing and just plain broke, they cannot do that. The more people that leave means that they are going to say stay away from GS and when people will ask why and then the reasons will be given. That will mean that more people will not be coming to GS and have a net effect of keeping people away.

Sites like GS, IGN, Blue's News, Kotaku etc. is to have some basic features that work. People want to read reviews about games, comment on them and discuss them. The simple fact is, that it is really hard to do so on GameSpot right now and people will leave and keep others away. GS is a for profit business entity. If they weren't, there would not be any ads anywhere on this sight and they make money from people visiting this site so they need to have features that keep people coming back as well as draw new ones in so they can keep making money from the ads. A loss of visitors means a loss of revenue.

people will still come. regardless. there will be those that will "still give it a shot" and will see that its not at all how people said it to be. mind you, by the time this "net effect" comes around, this site will most likely be better than it is now.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WhiteKnight77

@leon2365 said:

@WhiteKnight77 said:

@leon2365 said:

@Ovirew said:

people will still come. regardless. there will be those that will "still give it a shot" and will see that its not at all how people said it to be. mind you, by the time this "net effect" comes around, this site will most likely be better than it is now.

People are leaving now. People are talking about it now. People are reading about it now. Will some people come right now even when they have seen what is happening? Sure, but when they see it for themselves, they will not stay or come back, that is the issue GS is looking at.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

@WhiteKnight77 said:

Lol, I saw a few threads over at giantbomb laughing about gamespot users not feeling the new layout and switching over to IGN. Of course giantbomb users think the new gamespot looks great and would call long time gamespot users whining complainers since gamespot is now basically a giantbomb beta.