This new Site Layout and Functionality it terrible

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tklally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tklally
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Gamespot was once my GO-TO space for game information and to catalog and manage my game collection (and I literally have HUNDREDS of games...). This new site layout is horrible. Not only is it notably slower to load nearly every page, the information is now so difficult to discern that I cannot even find what I'm looking for.

The idea of managing "stacks" of games is somewhat appealing, but the functionality to sort, edit or move/copy games from one stack to another is so cumbersome, I can't even bother with it. I tried to add a recently purchased game to my "Games I Own" stack -- but it went to the Games I Want stack -- and after removing it THREE times with the Edit Stack command....it's STILL there!

Who's brainchild was THIS overhaul..... because it has completely turned me off, and I feel like I lost so much of what I once enjoyed.. I'm just so saddened that a site and resource I've enjoyed for years has become such a jungle-like clutter....

sfbay101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 sfbay101
Member since 2003 • 31 Posts

Agreed. Just awful, mostly unusable unless you know exactly what you're looking for. Basically the site has degraded to lists of lists. Seldom come here anymore unless I'm curious on a review of a specific game. Even then it may be hard to find. The search thing is abysmal

andruxandd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#3 andruxandd
Member since 2005 • 145 Posts

Indeed...and what u write ... "I lost so much of what I once enjoyed" say all...we need to find another gaming site :(

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By leon2365
Member since 2006 • 13096 Posts

the new site works fine for me. some things still need to be implemented, but this layout will be improved upon as time goes by.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

@leon2365 said:

the new site works fine for me. some things still need to be implemented, but this layout will be improved upon as time goes by.

You keep saying that the site works for you. Fine, but to continually come in here and more or less brown-nose the staff causes legitimate complaints as to functionality and bugs to be drowned out. It is almost like you do not want the stuff to be fixed because it seemingly only works for you. If you really want to praise GS, create one thread and be done with it instead of replying to those who want Staff to know that for them, it isn't working or not what it was.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 leon2365

@WhiteKnight77 said:

@leon2365 said:

You keep saying that the site works for you. Fine, but to continually come in here and more or less brown-nose the staff causes legitimate complaints as to functionality and bugs to be drowned out. It is almost like you do not want the stuff to be fixed because it seemingly only works for you. If you really want to praise GS, create one thread and be done with it instead of replying to those who want Staff to know that for them, it isn't working or not what it was.

just saying that if it really is a matter of internet, then the site should be the same as before in terms of speed. since it seems to be worse for people, then its probably coding or bugs. as for the functionality, I am not putting that down. this site needs to be updated in many ways. but the staff are busy. many people don't seem to want to hear that. we can have them completely focus on the bugs and completely stop on gaming news if people want. then they will complain that the news is outdated. or it can stay as it is now. balanced. ill give you that right now they are focusing more on the news of the new consoles, its pretty substantial news, but that will blow over eventually and it will be more balanced.

also, topics are constantly made from what I am thinking is the same people making dupe accounts just to try and get something done. why cant they just stick to one topic and be done with it as well? and if they are in fact different people, then everyone should unify into one thread that fits their needs. one for speed, one for thread indicators, one for search, etc. instead we have spamming of the same problems on 10 different threads sometimes.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

If the people who are writing the code, as in the code that puts the features into the website, are the same people who are writing the articles and reviews about games, then GS needs to hire more people as in writers and and more people to write code so both can be done at the same time. GS should have a set page layout that articles can be dropped into since all the pages are all the same. There should be no reason to need to alter that at all. GS will not have a readership if features that have been asked for time and again, that were available with the old site, are not implemented. Why do you think people have been making threads saying that they are leaving and finding new sites and there are no threads saying that they just found GameSpot and I love this place? The only people saying they like this place have been around GS for a while and you.

Is it possible that there are people making alts to keep bringing bugs or other problems up? Maybe, but something I have noticed in my years reading forums is that while some are willing to post in a previous thread about a similar problem, forumites tend to think that their problem will get lost in a similar thread and it will be disregarded so they make a new one. It happens at publisher's forums, it happens at dev's forums, it happens at fansites and it happens here too. It is not a new phenomenon. People want their say and will make a new thread to ensure it is seen.

GS said that they wanted to attract new readers and visitors. Not having something that works for everyone will not do that.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

Yes, the new site is awful.

stev69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 stev69
Member since 2006 • 161 Posts

Agreed the new format is garbage.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 leon2365

@WhiteKnight77 said:

If the people who are writing the code, as in the code that puts the features into the website, are the same people who are writing the articles and reviews about games, then GS needs to hire more people as in writers and and more people to write code so both can be done at the same time. GS should have a set page layout that articles can be dropped into since all the pages are all the same. There should be no reason to need to alter that at all. GS will not have a readership if features that have been asked for time and again, that were available with the old site, are not implemented. Why do you think people have been making threads saying that they are leaving and finding new sites and there are no threads saying that they just found GameSpot and I love this place? The only people saying they like this place have been around GS for a while and you.

Is it possible that there are people making alts to keep bringing bugs or other problems up? Maybe, but something I have noticed in my years reading forums is that while some are willing to post in a previous thread about a similar problem, forumites tend to think that their problem will get lost in a similar thread and it will be disregarded so they make a new one. It happens at publisher's forums, it happens at dev's forums, it happens at fansites and it happens here too. It is not a new phenomenon. People want their say and will make a new thread to ensure it is seen.

GS said that they wanted to attract new readers and visitors. Not having something that works for everyone will not do that.

well then hiring or not, that is on gamespot's end, and there is nothing we can do about that.

as for the threads, I am all for making threads about different problems. but if there are 3 different threads, and each one supports the 3 problems that a user is having, then shouldn't the user post once in each thread pertaining to that particular problem? if one thread relates to the user's problem of the lack of speed on the site, but there is no thread that relates to the user's problem with avatars and pictures, then post once in the thread about speed, and make a new thread about pictures and avatars. but they shouldn't make a completely new thread about speed and avatars. (mind you, these are just rough examples)

Appzalien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Appzalien

This definitely is ridiculous. I can't even see if I'm logged in or not, my nick doesn't show at the top of the page. I know like all the other sites that are trying to please MS with Win 8 touch compatibility, why it is they do this. But for those of us that have no interest in touch its abysmal. Why not have both? I truly miss the ability to search a game name, press the platform button (PC) and have delivered to me specific information, downloadable updates and other links for my platform, Heck, only a few games listed here are even Win 8 compatible, how silly is that.

So, Pre-Main page, two buttons. Touch Screen and Desktop (hopefully the Desktop button would bring back the legacy site for those of us who became enamored to it). At least simplify the main pages so two or three clicks get to what you need. Then I'll continue to visit otherwise I'm outta here and it;s a shame. GameSpot WAS one of the premiere sites on the web for gaming and updates now it's a hoop jumping fest, a sort of game in and of itself, and I don't want to play. I give it a 3 out of 10 and that's generous.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 leon2365

well strictly speaking, it takes one click to get to what I need.

intirawolf359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13 intirawolf359
Member since 2003 • 671 Posts

Glad to see some of the same issues. Personally, I detest the new layout/design. My games list that was well setup before, in an easy to follow/find, In Order list was perfect. This latest mess is a joke. It is like taking my games, I also have hundreds, spilling them all over the floor and going "see my collection?!" Only they have added insult to injury. I won't even add any new games any more because I have no idea what they will put up in place of my choice. My game collection now consists of approx. 1/4 games I actually have, 1/4 games I don't own, 1/4 games that are wrong versions-releases-foreign-etc. and 1/4 incorrect in various other ways. Tried reporting this but to no avail.

I ........ am not happy with this site at all anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think the fact that I haven't seen much progress in the two months since this launch is disheartening.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By leon2365

oh, but there has been progress. just that people mostly would rather see the "what needs to be done/ hasn't been done" rather than the "what has been done."

lemonsqueezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lemonsqueezy
Member since 2005 • 32 Posts

It seems as if Gamespot has finally lost it's pride.

I'm going searching for alternatives.

intirawolf359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 intirawolf359

@tklally: Amen bro.

intirawolf359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By intirawolf359

@leon2365: Really ?! You work here ? Or just those big shiny rose coloured glasses making all in the world perfect for you. Mind telling me how having a complete gaming collection totally screwed up beyond any comprehension is "just looking for wrong things" ??

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

I also hate the new layout. The biggest problem is the reviews. Simply cannot stand them without the Good/Bad notes and merit icons. Reviews were the best and biggest part of GameSpot for me and now they've been reduced to unprofessional and broad. Until they bring back the scores for old games, start organizing game consoles separately (NOT according to their company) and let us re-upload our signatures then I am totally done with this site.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 leon2365

@intirawolf359 said:

@leon2365: Really ?! You work here ? Or just those big shiny rose coloured glasses making all in the world perfect for you. Mind telling me how having a complete gaming collection totally screwed up beyond any comprehension is "just looking for wrong things" ??

sorry for this, but since I made a number of posts here, i do not have the slightest idea of which one of them you are referring to. usually when no quote is involved, it deals with the latest post, but i fail to see how your comment has anything to do with my last post.

tklally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tklally

Hey all ---

Original poster here -- checking back after a while --- appreciate all the chatter around my initial thread (and frankly, surprised by the support!). But I have to agree with WhiteKnight and Intira about Leon2365 === you should take your 12,000 posts and start your own "Game-spot Rules" thread rather than clutter this one defending a change to REDUCED functionality that doesn't even preserve the work done with the previous format.

After all - if these are really just big "lists" -- then why can't I at least sort by some of the common data we KNOW is associated with the games -- date of release, game rating, publisher, even alphabetically!......SOMETHING of use. Why can't I simply switch games BETWEEN stacks (as in "own" to "playing" to "finished") --- you can't tell me I'm the only one who might think doing that is a good idea. I work with IT people who provide Global Business Services -- I understand the meaning of bugs and I appreciate this is a HUGE site -- but this isn't about features not working -- this is about eliminating some common sense features -- UNDOING the work that myself and others had put into their collections on the site - and missing functionality that might actually make some of the new features interesting.

The main reason I came back to see if I could at least edit my own bloody stacks -- and?? NOPE -- Still couldn't delete a game from a list. Just pathetic....

For those looking for a stronger Review site -- have to say my new favorite is MetaCritic... good overviews.....

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 leon2365

@tklally said:

Hey all ---

Original poster here -- checking back after a while --- appreciate all the chatter around my initial thread (and frankly, surprised by the support!). But I have to agree with WhiteKnight and Intira about Leon2365 === you should take your 12,000 posts and start your own "Game-spot Rules" thread rather than clutter this one defending a change to REDUCED functionality that doesn't even preserve the work done with the previous format.

After all - if these are really just big "lists" -- then why can't I at least sort by some of the common data we KNOW is associated with the games -- date of release, game rating, publisher, even alphabetically!......SOMETHING of use. Why can't I simply switch games BETWEEN stacks (as in "own" to "playing" to "finished") --- you can't tell me I'm the only one who might think doing that is a good idea. I work with IT people who provide Global Business Services -- I understand the meaning of bugs and I appreciate this is a HUGE site -- but this isn't about features not working -- this is about eliminating some common sense features -- UNDOING the work that myself and others had put into their collections on the site - and missing functionality that might actually make some of the new features interesting.

The main reason I came back to see if I could at least edit my own bloody stacks -- and?? NOPE -- Still couldn't delete a game from a list. Just pathetic....

For those looking for a stronger Review site -- have to say my new favorite is MetaCritic... good overviews.....

like you said, "checking back after a while." some things have changed. supposedly, stacks are being worked on, though I cant give an ETA on a fix rolling out. only patience can be suggested. sorry.

intirawolf359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 intirawolf359

@leon2365: It has nothing to do with your last post. I read all your posts on this topic page and went from there. Nice job of skirting the issue and trying to make it look like i make no sense. Others obviously understood, but I guess my sarcasm is lost on one who has no idea how things "should" work here.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 leon2365

@intirawolf359 said:

@leon2365: It has nothing to do with your last post. I read all your posts on this topic page and went from there. Nice job of skirting the issue and trying to make it look like i make no sense. Others obviously understood, but I guess my sarcasm is lost on one who has no idea how things "should" work here.

no. still don't see how it has anything to do with my posts.

Maxxgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25  Edited By Maxxgold
Member since 2003 • 191 Posts

The new website is HORRIBLE. You know it's bad when you call them out and they delete your post.

@leon2365 What a tool you are.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 leon2365

@Maxxgold said:

The new website is HORRIBLE. You know it's bad when you call them out and they delete your post.

@leon2365 What a tool you are.

what makes you say im a "tool?" I do however like tool. great band.

intirawolf359

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 intirawolf359

@leon2365: You don't see. My point exactly.

leon2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By leon2365

@intirawolf359 said:

@leon2365: You don't see. My point exactly.

nothing. still nothing. still not making any sense.